• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't mind using headphones to cover up the noises around me while in the office, sometimes I wonder if others don't think or care about their co-workers when they do things like yell across rows, crunch on snacks, hover around someone's desk to talk to someone else, or shake a salad in a large plastic container for 30-60 seconds.

TL;DR: Open offices are terrible. Discuss.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I literally don't have a problem with any of this and love my open floor plan office. It's actually bothersome to me when workplaces are dead quiet with the expectation of not making any noise. I worked somewhere like this and it was hell on earth. I'm sympathetic to people who are bothered by noise, but that's what headphones are for.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I literally don't have a problem with any of this and love my open floor plan office. It's actually bothersome to me when workplaces are dead quiet with the expectation of not making any noise. I worked somewhere like this and it was hell on earth. I'm sympathetic to people who are bothered by noise, but that's what headphones are for.
same. library office would put me on edge.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
My office is all cubes, but I still keep my earbuds in all day because I can't stand silence (I think I may have mild tinnitus) and I also get too distracted by too much noise.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Good thing that that there is more and more proof that open offices are detrimental to employee's happiness and also detrimental to employee interaction.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm super happy to have my own office and being able to shut the door. I prefer leaving it open, but there's some grad student cubicles right outside it and they can be talking loudly for a long time some days. I can't stand working in cubical/open office set up personally. I just get distracted to easily by noise and people/things moving around. So I love having my own office, being able to work from home if I want on days I'm not teaching or having meetings.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Obligatory, Why-can't-you-fu****s-be-normal.meme

As others have said, no one shakes their salad for a minute, period. Even still, who cares? Also, everything you mentioned is completely normal and part of the dynamic, not of an office environment, but of life.

I have a few employees who feel the same was as OP and they're honestly a detriment to the team. Mad at the weirdest things, hate working with others and conversing with them even more, etc. No projecting on OP but those people, at least in my environment, tend to be mad that they don't get promoted when those types of behaviors are the exact reason why they aren't.

Good thing that that there is more and more proof that open offices are detrimental to employee's happiness and also detrimental to employee interaction.

None of those items are proof that open offices are detrimental to employee happiness and interaction.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Nah.

Open offices are great and no one shakes their salad for an unreasonable amount of time.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
nZLFarX.gif

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm.. overly sensitive, OP? Let people do what they want. They probably don't like the open office too. What you describe isn't out of the usual at all. The only thing that sucks is the open office, period. Every open design actually, open classrooms too. There's a point reached where there's just simply enough.

OP
OP
crienne

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm.. overly sensitive, OP? Let people do what they want. They probably don't like the open office too. What you describe isn't out of the usual at all. The only thing that sucks is the open office, period. Every open design actually, open classrooms too. There's a point reached where there's just simply enough.

I am, very much so. It's a problem I've had my entire life and compounded with my ongoing depression, anxiety, and panic disorders open offices just tend to pick at all my littlest annoyances and insecurities.

Could I have not made this topic? Sure. Did I just want to rant? Absolutely. Should people actually care about my rant? Nah, not really.