• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Time gates are not fun and will never be fun. I understand those who do it to skip them.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people so concerned with how I play a single player game
I skipped about a week to unlock the upgraded town hall and came back because I hated how things looked in my town and managed to fix it and return things to normal, now I'm having fun and sticking to real world time with all the shops open to look forward to new stock and villagers to interact with each day

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
cheating is easier than ever in this game...
there's very little mp component in the game. So this really doesn't hurt much to others unless the others are bothered by others who do it.

If there was like a online component of 'who has the nicest town" that you get something in-game out of or something than maybe. But there isn't

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
do whatever you want

but personally I don't see the fun in time traveling. All that hassle for an eventuality, and front loading a game thats supposed to last a long long time

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
Counterpoint.

My wife and I are stuck self isolating at home. She's nearly 30 weeks pregnant and a totally routine checkup turned into a panicked and rushed series of testing ending with us getting told our baby is somewhere on a scale between mildly handicapped to dead shortly after birth. Our family lives hundreds of kilometres away.

She's playing Animal Crossing and every time she gets kicked by the baby bursts into tears.

But the really unjust thing in all of this is she set her system clock ahead to get a villager she's excited for on her island faster.... Perhaps people should shut up about how someone chooses to play a single player game. Especially right now.

Jun 26, 2018
Also a reminder for people, Twitter is not the official multiplayer part of Animal Crossing, if it bothers you to see future shit on twitter... then get off Twitter!

Oct 25, 2017
Before reading the article I was sure it was a satire. Kinda funnier that it isn't.

I couldn't give a rat's ass if someone cheated in AC.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Why people care what others do? Does it affect you? No? Then let them live.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
I never cheat, but this article is simply embarassing to read, mainly because most of the adjectives the author used on the cheaters can just as easily describe himself too. It's incredibly ironic.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are these people with fully decked out islands in 72 hours pretending that they didnt cheat ? Maybe the message should be Stop lying about how you got your shit lol

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
94c599bee34d3d5d2e092f5775308612.png

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
People doing it isn't affecting my personal experience of Animal Crossing, so I don't care about time traveling being a thing. For some people, having to wait for a new store or feature to be available is a bore. Not to mention that during this pandemic, some people want to put their isolated time into doing something they usually lack time for, so they want to get the most out of it ASAP.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
It doesn't have a personal effect on my game and world, but it absolutely does ruin the social aspect of the game for others. If you want to avoid progression spoilers that are weeks (and months) out, you need to totally avoid AC social media and avoid towns of people who are time traveling.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
sure buddy, keep telling yourself that.
lol wut?

My wife is loving the game even more now that she used the item duplicate glitch (although she doesn't want to time travel). She didn't want a second job and she prefer to grind for miles and resources than Bells.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Arbitrary wait times in games are whack so go ahead and time travel away. The anti-cheaters in here are really just worried the cheaters are having a better experience.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're just cheating themselves, and missed out on the intended experience imo, but just let them, it's their decision and you won't get affected anyway.

Edit: after seeing the other posts here, saying "cheating themselves" is wrong. Everyone deserve to play the game they bought however they want as long as they aren't affecting anyone which is the case for AC

Last edited:

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Counterpoint.

My wife and I are stuck self isolating at home. She's nearly 30 weeks pregnant and a totally routine checkup turned into a panicked and rushed series of testing ending with us getting told our baby is somewhere on a scale between mildly handicapped to dead shortly after birth. Our family lives hundreds of kilometres away.

She's playing Animal Crossing and every time she gets kicked by the baby bursts into tears.

But the really unjust thing in all of this is she set her system clock ahead to get a villager she's excited for on her island faster.... Perhaps people should shut up about how someone chooses to play a single player game. Especially right now.

Wow. If you don't mind me asking, what's the nature of the baby's condition? Hopefully everything ends up on the mild side. I can see your perspective on things.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo, time traveling is basically AC's easy mode. Can't complain about options, but it defeats the purpose of the game for me personally.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
I like how the writer of the article complains about getting spoiled on stuff by time travelers and then proceeds to drop a spoiler.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Quarantine, social media, and easier sharing in general has definitely amplified the effects. I've avoided most of it though and am just having fun at a leisurely pace. I feel like rushing will result in really fast burnout.

Jun 26, 2018
Can we also drop the whole "cheated themselves" mentality? It's a pretty sad argument.

Like they're probably having a way better time than the rest of us, because AC is so needlessly restrictive.

And saying it's "by design" doesn't make it better.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
If you cheat in a game with competitive multiplayer you are pure scum, but cheating in a single player game is absolutely benign. Hell, I hesitate to even call it "cheating". Play your single player games any way you want to. Who fucking cares?

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
not sure why people get concerned with how others enjoy single-player games. if their time travelling doesn't sour my experience nor theirs, then why does it matter?

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
not sure why people get concerned with how others enjoy single-player games. if their time travelling doesn't sour my experience nor theirs, then why does it matter?
If you visit someone else's island not knowing that they've been fast-forwarding through weeks to months of content, it can really ruin your own experience. And not being able to visit friends, a very fun thing to do, out of fear of cheating, also kind of ruins the experience.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Counterpoint.

Hey, fuck them, your wife deserve to play however she wants. I hope the best for you and your wife. Stay safe

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I've time skipped 8-9 times now since i bought it and it's increased my enjoyment tenfold. It's weird to me people get upset over how people play their games. Do you also get upset that people give themselves infinite inventory space in Skyrim?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
If you cheat in a game with competitive multiplayer you are pure scum, but cheating in a single player game is absolutely benign. Hell, I hesitate to even call it "cheating". Play your single player games any way you want to. Who fucking cares?
Apparently the people that don't do it and don't like that others get stuff they don't or before them.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care, but it's just kinda lame. That's all I have to say about it.

Why is someone playing the game how they decide to play it lame?

If someone watches a movie and skips all the dialogue, does it somehow affect how you watch it?

I suppose someone eating their burger upside down is lame as well? Wait, you'd probably think them removing the bun and eating the good stuff inside first is lame and affects how you enjoy yours...

Let people do them.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If someone watches a movie and skips all the dialogue, does it somehow affect how you watch it?

I suppose someone eating their burger upside down is lame as well? Wait, you'd probably think them removing the bun and eating the good stuff inside first is lame and affects how you enjoy yours...

Let people do them.
Doesn't affect how I watch it, but I still find it lame. I also find eating a burger upside down lame, same with removing the buns and eating the inside first (pretty sure I commented that I found that lame in that thread). Doesn't mean I think they shouldn't be able to do it. I just disagree with it. I'm not stopping anyone from anything, but am judging.

Why do people who do things differently feel so attacked when others disagree with them? It's not stopping you. Who cares what others think? Do you, bud.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Can we also drop the whole "cheated themselves" mentality? It's a pretty sad argument.

Like they're probably having a way better time than the rest of us, because AC is so needlessly restrictive.

And saying it's "by design" doesn't make it better.
Speak for yourself. Time traveling absolutely ruins the experience for me. It's all meaningless when you just fly through it without appreciating anything. It's like playing an RPG by exploiting a leveling glitch and just one shotting everything. If I'm not going to engage with the systems, I don't even see a point in playing it.

Let people do them.
It's more like if someone had the ability to binge a season of a tv show while you watched week to week, then they just went on social media and told you everything about it. The progression is part of the fun of AC, so having people flooding Twitter with shit that would naturally happen in a month is fucking shitty. People are always so worried about spoilers for games when they come out, but for some reason people gaming AC's clock and posting non-stop spoilers doesn't matter.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It goes without saying that people don't like this because those people aren't keeping it to themselves. They invite people over to their villages or bring shit with them that ruin it for others. You want to time travel in your own village and leave it to yourself for a month or so? Cool no problem. I did that with the Gamecube version but come on we know why people are talking about this right now and it isn't about those people who are doing it for their own personal enjoyment. Even if I think that is a terrible way to ultimately play the game. Especially at the beginning. I think arguments for that (like this article) are perfectly fine and aren't "ruining peoples fun" or whatever.
My sister visited my island and gave me A LOT of stuff. I mean I still took it haha, but I did feel a little guilty about it.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The joy of Animal Crossing is in escapism. It's like turning on the cheat codes in older GTA games for people. They don't care about the game as such, they just want to escape.

For me, the escape is by not gaming it, by doing what I want, when I want, not a game where I'm constantly hustling to the next objective all for the sake of leapfrogging on down the line.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I time traveled. I didn't donate any stuff to Nook on the day of release (before 5/6AM) and didn't want to wait one more day for the Blathers tent, so when I found out I had to donate my bugs to Nook so Blathers would come to the island, I did so and time traveled a day forward. I assure you it only helped my enjoyment of the game.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't care if people do this, but I don't.

Animal Crossing really fits into how I play games anyway. 30 minutes to an hour at a time (or day) and then pick it up the next day when new events and stuff happens.

I'll probably play it like that for a long ass time. As i unlock more stuff to build and decorate the time spent on each day could go up, of course.