• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
"There is a dangerous virus going around."
"Let's gather at overcrowded beaches."

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
...If you're trying to travel right now for non essential reasons in the midst of a worldwide outbreak that countries across the world are trying to contain by limiting movement because its cheap...

what the fuck is wrong with you.

Worst part is they don't see what the fuck they're doing wrong at all and when they get told they'll act like they were wronged. Everything that happens to set up the premise for low budget horror/disaster films is pretty much real. People are that fucking stupid.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Beaches are closed as of tomorrow morning, as they fall under public parks regulation. So no parking or lifeguards. It's a bit of a shame as we tend to go to uncrowded areas on the north shore this time of year.

Also, we have WAY more cases than that. Nobody was testing here until a little over a week ago. Several people in my office were out with the "flu"' last week. No tests.

My understanding is that beaches are closed, like you said no parking or lifeguards, but people can still go, right? Or are they going to enforce staying off the beaches for people who walk in?

My relatives told me this yesterday, and I too was surprised there was still so much tourism going on, even with everything shutting down. Like how is Waikiki not completely shut down by now? I understand they're going to go through a really tough time economically without tourism but man, so many people flooding in every day from who knows where?

Myself, I have tickets in a few months and I have my doubts the airlines will even refund them, so maybe that's another factor?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Ohhhhhh I've seen this before! Remember when foreign twats came to a "new" land carrying diseases that killed or even wiped locals? I member.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If you go outside for a reason other than work or groceries you are not only the reason we have to quarantine in the first place but YOU ARE GOING TO GET SOMEONE KILLED.

Fuck.

I don't understand how stupid these people are.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is, I expected stupid and ignorant people to do something like this. I hope the owner of that Airbnb can sue the shit out of those people.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
People are so damn selfish. Especially in times like these with airline travel/tourist destinations for non-essential shit.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Going to an island with limited resources during a pandemic sounds like some galaxy brain Darwin Award maneuver.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If you were stuck there when shit started to hit the fan I can understand that.

But booking a trip last week or afterwards while we are in the middle of this crisis?

This is just a stupid as the college kids who still had to go to spring break. I shouldn't be surprised that so many people in this country are stupid and selfish assholes when you look at who is in charge of the government. Maybe Trump is the norm and not the exception...

Oct 27, 2017
This is happening in a bunch of states, unfortunately. Interstate travel can't be prevented.

What can be done is making it not worthwhile to make the trip. Usually after natural disasters strike it's tourism that can lift communities back up. Not this time, not right now.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
This is happening in a bunch of states, unfortunately. Interstate travel can't be prevented.

What can be done is making it not worthwhile to make the trip. Usually after natural disasters strike it's tourism that can lift communities back up. Not this time, not right now.

There are somehow still tourists coming to DC. Not as many as last weekend, but they're here.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Lots of people still flying into my airport as well. And I work at the hotel right next to the airport so I've been livid. I've been harassing local government and news on Twitter about it lol. People are fucking oblivious assholes. I'm not talking business travel where people are likely forced to fly or risk losing their job, I'm talking people traveling internationally while sick and dragging their family comprised of both adolescent and elderly members. News just broke that someone near here, a 17 year old just tested positive for it and he has no travel history nor any contact with anyone who has previously traveled which just tells me it's starting to spread like wildfire now and I worry about giving it to my dad.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
I work in hotel industry, Last I checked, Waikiki hotels are below 15% occupancy. One hotel in Ko'olina is closing this coming week. Our buffets and restaurants closed yesterday for dine in, only take outs now or room service. Surprisingly enough, most of the people checking into our hotels are locals taking advantage of low kamaaina rates.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish those people luck, cause if they're not lucky the entire island is going down with them.

Not that I meant that they should be the ones to overwhelm the health system now, but I know what you mean. Of course rather that in the future, they deserve some shit coming at them for their actions.

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
Beaches are closed as of tomorrow morning, as they fall under public parks regulation. So no parking or lifeguards. It's a bit of a shame as we tend to go to uncrowded areas on the north shore this time of year.

Also, we have WAY more cases than that. Nobody was testing here until a little over a week ago. Several people in my office were out with the "flu"' last week. No tests.

Beach parks closed, not beaches or ocean from how I read it; so parking lots, bathrooms, beach at the beach park closed. But not all beaches are beach parks, only those bigger ones.

Neighborhoods gonna feel the beach park closures when they become the parking lot (which they already were) but now everyone's funneling to the "non beach park" beaches.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I blame our governor, but it's a double edged sword. He kept trying to reassure people and repeated that Hawaii would remain open for business. He prioritized the economy over general safety. I work on the JBPHH side and have watched the steady stream of flights arriving over the past two months.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I blame our governor, but it's a double edged sword. He kept trying to reassure people and repeated that Hawaii would remain open for business. He prioritized the economy over general safety. I work on the JBPHH side and have watched the steady stream of flights arriving over the past two months.

It would have been so easy to close the airport down and only allow Hawaiian residents (with mandatory two weeks quarantine in one of the many resorts and heavy testing)

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been so easy to close the airport down and only allow Hawaiian residents (with mandatory two weeks quarantine in one of the many resorts and heavy testing)

Actually shutting the airports down and/or stopping flights into the state requires the Federal gov't. Local officials can't just unilaterally do it. One of the reasons why the mandated 14-day quarantine period hasn't happened yet because it's taking coordination between local gov't and the Department of Transportation at the Federal level.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Hold airlines accountable for encouraging travel.

Many airlines risk losing their spots at airports if they stop flying. Also, reducing flight schedules often requires the permission of multiple unions. They can't just unilaterally shut down.

The sad thing is, I expected stupid and ignorant people to do something like this. I hope the owner of that Airbnb can sue the shit out of those people.

The owner of the Airbnb should have shut down long ago. If you're renting out an entire home as a short term rental in a residential area you're a business, not part of the sharing economy. And while I don't know the local Hawaiian laws, in many parts of the US you're also in violation of the law by doing so.

There are somehow still tourists coming to DC. Not as many as last weekend, but they're here.

Are they Division 2 cosplayers?

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
The owner of the Airbnb should have shut down long ago. If you're renting out an entire home as a short term rental in a residential area you're a business, not part of the sharing economy. And while I don't know the local Hawaiian laws, in many parts of the US you're also in violation of the law by doing so.

Laws vary from county to county on vacation rentals/AirBnB legality. In Maui County, there's a permitting process you need to go through before being legal but enforcement is extremely spotty so lots of places get away with it. O'ahu just started really going after vacation rentals within the past year, laws were changed and enforcement got hardcore.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Laws vary from county to county on vacation rentals/AirBnB legality. In Maui County, there's a permitting process you need to go through before being legal but enforcement is extremely spotty so lots of places get away with it. O'ahu just started really going after vacation rentals within the past year, laws were changed and enforcement got hardcore.
Everyone and their mom is opening AirBNBs on the Big Island so this pandemic is pissing people off who want to be making income and invested tons of money into AirBNB houses.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Everyone and their mom is opening AirBNBs on the Big Island so this pandemic is pissing people off who want to be making income and invested tons of money into AirBNB houses.

Just because others don't give a shit about the local housing market doesn't mean it's OK.

No sympathy for folks who flout housing regulations and their neighbors in the quest for a quick buck.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I talked to a friend who heard of how low the flight prices dropped in the last week or so and I had to have a stern talking to about why it was a bad idea for everyone, and that was even before knowing of how bad things would get in light of those low prices. I know that it was more of entertaining a thought for something that seemed impossible, but it really is annoying, in a general sense, to talk to people about things related to the pandemic and I could see their faces light up thinking selfishly about how they can travel for cheap or how toilet paper and hand sanitizer are valuable due to how hard it is to get or how easy it is to go to places without crowds (obviously before most of those places shut down).

I know for most people, they aren't going to act on those thoughts, but I can see the wheels turning of them seriously considering it, and if a person was just selfish/opportunistic/short-sighted enough, they'll jump on it, especially since it seems many people aren't informed enough (or don't care about being informed enough) to weigh all the data and will just do it if it seems to have little cost to them personally, like I'm sure is the case for many traveling here.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Update:

Starting 3/26, there will be a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arrivals to Hawaii. Residents may quarantine at home. Tourists will be required to not leave their hotel room or vacation rental unless they are seeking medical care. Tourists are fully responsible for the cost of the quarantine and there is a $5,000 fine and up to a year in jail for noncompliance.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update:

Starting 3/26, there will be a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arrivals to Hawaii. Residents may quarantine at home. Tourists will be required to not leave their hotel room or vacation rental unless they are seeking medical care. Tourists are fully responsible for the cost of the quarantine and there is a $5,000 fine and up to a year in jail for noncompliance.
So all the tourists that are there now, no problem.
And we are only locking down new arrivals starting next Thursday?
That response is way too late.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Well, you guys have a president that thinks the virus is a hoax and he has millions of blind followers...

I told all my friends that while Italy and Spain are going through some real shit Brazil and the USA are going to be the biggest focus of the disease a few weeks from now. We both have stupid leaders that actively work against the prevention, diagnosis and treatment... you guys are the center of the world and there are plenty of people with the means to travel and spread it even more, plus no free healthcare so a lot of people dont even go to the doctor because they cant afford. We have a huge amount of people living in favelas, where it is not uncommon to have 4-6 people living in the same room (by same room I mean the entire "house" is a single room). For now the USA is way ahead but unfortunately I think it wont take long for us to catch up.