• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Update:

Starting 3/26, there will be a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arrivals to Hawaii. Residents may quarantine at home. Tourists will be required to not leave their hotel room or vacation rental unless they are seeking medical care. Tourists are fully responsible for the cost of the quarantine and there is a $5,000 fine and up to a year in jail for noncompliance.

After the coronavirus was officially declared a pandemic, ticket prices from airlines plummeted.

This meant that a lot of people are now 'self quarantining' in Hawaii. A family friend of ours had an AirBNB who was, I swear to god, booked by a couple who had been exposed to the coronavirus and was saying, 'we want to quarantine in Paradise.'

Anyway, so our national parks were closed for obvious reasons. This new gigantic flood of tourists poured into the county parks and beaches instead, meaning that beaches were getting absolutely bombarded with tourists. There were so many people that communities all over the Big Island (where I'm from) actually banded together to forcibly shut the parks ourselves with cones and everything because the government hadn't done anything yet. Irate tourists called the cops, and they came down. The cones went back up. The cops came back with more cars. They left. The cones went back up again.

They didn't come back.

And finally, as of right now, the state FINALLY shut the county parks too, so it was just an early shutdown. There is currently a community effort to actually patrol the park borders to keep tourists from sneaking in because we know the police aren't going to do anything, they're stretched thin as it is.

tl;dr Stop coming to Hawaii for a cheap vacation. Everything's closed now including parks and restaurants. Also, we don't want coronavirus to become a huge problem here especially because we are extremely understaffed medically. We can't handle a pandemic, there are like....50 respirators on the Big Island and 20 ICU beds or something. We can't handle anything big - any major medical operations can't be done on this island, we have very few doctors and all of the 'big deal' stuff needs to be flown to Honolulu or the mainland.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
My company has resorts in Hawaii and I had far too many people call in to keep or book reservations. I don't understand why people want like to get stranded on an island. If and when resources get limited,that's the last place you want to be.

Tethered Penguin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This meant that a lot of people are now 'self quarantining' in Hawaii. A family friend of ours had an AirBNB who was, I swear to god, booked by a couple who had been exposed to the coronavirus and was saying, 'we want to quarantine in Paradise.'

what in the ever living fuck.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
That couple is a pair of assholes, like the point of self-quarantine is that you don't go anywhere outside your house

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
My company has resorts in Hawaii and I had far too many people call in to keep or book reservations. I don't understand why people want like to get stranded on an island. If and when resources get limited,that's the last place you want to be.
People see cheap tickets and either don't realize or care how dumb it is for a bunch of tourists to gather like that.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
People see cheap tickets and either don't realize or care how dumb it is for a bunch of tourists to gather like that.
A bit worse in my case too since I work for a timeshare company. And since you're dealing with people who own condo units, they have the sense of entitlement along with the cheap airfare.

Mar 3, 2019
After the coronavirus was officially declared a pandemic, ticket prices from airlines plummeted.

Anyway, so our national parks were closed for obvious reasons. This new gigantic flood of tourists poured into the county parks and beaches instead, meaning that beaches were getting absolutely bombarded with tourists. There were so many people that communities all over the Big Island (where I'm from) actually banded together to forcibly shut the parks ourselves with cones and everything because the government hadn't done anything yet. Irate tourists called the cops, and they came down. The cones went back up. The cops came back with more cars. They left. The cones went back up again.

They didn't come back.

And finally, as of right now, the state FINALLY shut the county parks too, so it was just an early shutdown. There is currently a community effort to actually patrol the park borders to keep tourists from sneaking in because we know the police aren't going to do anything, they're stretched thin as it is.

tl;dr Stop coming to Hawaii for a cheap vacation. Everything's closed now including parks and restaurants. Also, we don't want coronavirus to become a huge problem here especially because we are extremely understaffed medically. We can't handle a pandemic, there are like....50 respirators on the Big Island and 20 ICU beds or something. We can't handle anything big - any major medical operations can't be done on this island, we have very few doctors and all of the 'big deal' stuff needs to be flown to Honolulu or the mainland.

Living on the Big Island was a nightmare during the eruption. Not only is your home in the area where the lava was spewing, then you had a billion tourists trespassing all over your property to come see the spectacle. If that hot pond still existed to the south, I can only assume it would be literally picked to the brim.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If you wrote this in a script people wouldn't believe it. You literally can't make this shit up. smh

leder

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucked up. People think their money entitles them to whatever they want. The same thing is happening on a micro scale to the San Juan islands outside of Seattle, which have year round older populations. It's like peak summer season there with the tech set all having WFH island vacations with their families.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Quarantining by getting on a plane and flying almost halfway across the Pacific... People will never cease to astound me.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah, canceled our flights for our vacation that was supposed to start there last Monday. Planned for a year but didn't want to exacerbate the problem. AirBnB hosts were super gracious. Tourists are a selfish breed in general but this pandemic really has people showing their ass.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
This is what truly disgusting about these people. They don't give a fck about anyone but themselves.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
"We want to quarantine in paradise. So let's spend 6-12 hours in a plane with a closed air system with hundreds of other people. That can't possibly go wrong."

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
not gonna lie, I was low-key considering going and staying with my Aunt for a while who lives there, and actually quarantining, to clear my head. But then I thought about the optics and yeah, without being to get a test prior, it's not a good idea at all.

Jack Bauer

Banned
Jun 14, 2019

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. Its not really paradise if you're stuck indoors during the whole trip.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, this is Governor Ige's fault. The man can never make difficult political decisions, he runs and hides in his office until someone else finally tries to pick up the pieces. The mess over the Thirty Meter Telescope is a prime example.

For the last three days we've had the head of the State Senate and a ton of other lawmakers, the entire City Council of Honolulu, the mayor of Honolulu, and the Lt. Governor (who is a licensed medical doctor) trying to force the governor to institute a blanket 14-day quarantine on all incoming travelers. Ige's only response has been a terse one-line message from his office, not even from him, saying that they're keeping all options open.

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
I live here, disgusting seeing the tourists busses, kayak and bike rentals, etc all still operating while citizens are being told to minimize contact and stay inside.

Went to support a local restaurant and get take out (Restaurant and bars are closed for sit down service but can do curbside or pickup) and listened to the lady tell me how a tourist from Colorado was complaining to her about how her cheap trip was ruined because everything was shut down but how "she's getting a great tan to show all her quarantined friends". Fuck off.

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017

I'm sorry but this sounds like a BS anecdote designed to instill fear and turn people against outsiders.

I'm worried about the increase in xenophobia and fear of outsiders this thing is causing. People in the countryside hating on people from the city returning to their family home. People in America and Europe a few weeks ago hating on Asians. This thread hating on outsiders coming into Hawaii. "Us vs Them"

Scary times.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but this sounds like a BS anecdote designed to instill fear and turn people against outsiders.

I'm worried about the increase in xenophobia and fear of outsiders this thing is causing. People in the countryside hating on people from the city returning to their family home. People in America and Europe a few weeks ago hating on Asians. This thread hating on outsiders coming into Hawaii. "Us vs Them"

Scary times.
I know it sounds like a BS anecdote but all I can tell you without doxxing myself is that it's real. And Hawaii has had a beef with tourists and mainlanders for well over a century, since America forcibly overthrew the sovereignty at gunpoint (similarly to the rift between some Native Americans and the people who live around them.) That's a discussion for another day though.

only 20 ICU beds? your state ahould have banned incoming tourists

The pressure from the tourist lobby is very harsh on our state government. It's hard for the governor to unilaterally ban tourists with the corporations breathing down his neck to keep the revenue flow going. It's basically all encompassing and the tourism industry keeps our economy afloat, so they have insane amounts of power.

That specific number is for the Big Island, not the entire state, but yes, Hawaii is very much unprepared to deal with a pandemic.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
This is happening in Spain as well. People are taking this as a vacation and moving to their vacation homes at the beach and infecting everybody (the majority of cases where in Madrid, but now they are spread all over the country). People are just stupid as fuck.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017

Before the entire world jumps down your throat, some information you need to know:

Hawaii is known as what's called a "super-spreader" for pandemics. Due to our location, geography and airline flight paths, Honolulu International Airport ranked third in the world (behind JFK and LAX) in how capable airport traffic through it is able to spread a pandemic. We got lucky this time in that the spread of COVID-19 has been westward from China and not eastward.

Shutting down air traffic or quarantining all visitors isn't prejudical, it's necessary for the safety of the entire world in a pandemic.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018

Scary times.
Trying to stop the spread of a pandemic is not being xenophobic, it's being responsible.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
lmao 'self-quarantine in paradise' you cant make this shit up
god it blows my mind how irresponsible people are during this situation. just stay home. its not fucking hard.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
Do note that of the currently 37 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Hawaii, 32 are from residents of Hawaii who were travelling. Only 5 are actual tourists/visitors.

www.hawaiinewsnow.com

Amid concerns about travel, state worries there’s a ‘stigma’ brewing against visitors

Health officials are pointing to the numbers, saying most confirmed cases are residents who traveled.

I'll ask a mod to edit the OP. I could have sworn the data I read said it was the other way around, but if that's the case I don't want to spread misinformation.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm overwhelmed with a feeling of disgust. Wish none of those people luck. Unimaginable what some people think and do.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Do note that of the currently 37 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Hawaii, 32 are from residents of Hawaii who were travelling. Only 5 are actual tourists/visitors.

www.hawaiinewsnow.com

Amid concerns about travel, state worries there’s a ‘stigma’ brewing against visitors

Health officials are pointing to the numbers, saying most confirmed cases are residents who traveled.

I sometimes wonder, when reading these type of complaints, how many of these Hawaiians are 'native' and how many are basically entitled continent folk that moved there short time ago and are claiming native indignation. There was a South Park that reminds me of that.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Beaches are closed as of tomorrow morning, as they fall under public parks regulation. So no parking or lifeguards. It's a bit of a shame as we tend to go to uncrowded areas on the north shore this time of year.

Also, we have WAY more cases than that. Nobody was testing here until a little over a week ago. Several people in my office were out with the "flu"' last week. No tests.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
We spent afew days at some gorgeous beaches, had some good food, had a good time with the family, and we stayed at an AirBnB that (while extremely out-of-the-way) was really nice for us. Plus swam with some dolphins.

I don't think so. We had a great time.
Okay that sounds pretty good. Thanks.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I fucking love people. When did reality start getting more batshit insane than fiction?

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Cancelled a trip to Honolulu at the end of April (during Japan's Golden Week). Don't want to contribute to any strain on their infrastructure at a time like this.