• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I guess because it's not an exact copy they can get away with stealing this design?

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Meme man was made in the bowls of who knows where so it's unlikely an original creator could be found. Unless timotainment created the character, but I'm not certain.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bill Finger, creator of Batman, should never have tried to get his creation back. Batman's just a pulp comic book for kids and he'll never catch on

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
It's real, I bought it, yes I'm fully aware I'm part of the problem.

That being said, more meme skins please.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As for attribution, there is at least a definite origin for this particular meme, so it isn't a question of who should be paid or honored but whether they should be paid

knowyourmeme.com

Stonks

Stonks is an intentional misspelling of the word "stocks" which is often associated with a surreal meme featuring the character Meme Man standing in front of a picture representing the stock market followed by the caption "Stonks." The picture began seeing use as a reaction image online in jokes...
according to this they took it from an old /3dcg/ post anyways so it's not like they can find the person who made the original model.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Do I understand why he has a bell? Yes, do I disregard that fact and say that I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell? hell yeah

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like a game as insanely ludicrously profitable as Fortnite using a meme character mocking capitalism is...odd...but ok.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The lack of any real source + the minor changes to headshape and the clothing damage mean it's probably safe as copyright law is concerned

I do think some memes would need approval a situation where they're effectively being sold. I'm no expert but, for example, I think Epic could use Drew Scanlon's Blinking Guy meme in a video no problem, but if they just made a digital Drew Scanlon someone at Giant Bomb or Drew himself could probably take that to court if they wanted to.

Big Chungus meanwhile would probably need WB's approval no matter what.

Oct 27, 2017
It's pop culture saturation, primarily. I can't imagine how parents with kids that are the appropriate age to be "into Fornite" can handle it.

It's just a funny skin for a game that folks enjoy. I play Fortnite with my son and if something like this gives us a couple of giggles then, whatever.

The way some Era users overthink things like this continues to be absolutely hysterical.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It's pop culture saturation, primarily. I can't imagine how parents with kids that are the appropriate age to be "into Fornite" can handle it.

It's a video game, it's not that serious. I play it with my 10 year old, and her friends. She plays it with my friends. Did she know what the Tron suits were from? No, but afterwards we sat down and watched Tron Legacy.

Let people enjoy shit.

Oct 26, 2017
when
ixgjuojwwlg51.png
Doge already is in a game!

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
My 9 year old went crazy over this and went straight to use his saved up v-bucks to buy it.

I don't get it.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Epic deserves criticism where criticism is due, but one can't deny that due to Fortnite's stature and reputation it absolutely gets a lot of bitch eating crackers energy directed at it.

Like, from every corner of the internet.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who isn't on the NFT train, this seems like a good case of why artists could use NFTs, being that the model is from an ancient 4chan post hard to prove ownership.

Fuck Epic if someone didn't get paid for that though.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I like the the idea, but STONK guy is nothing without the terrible face. And he would never wear a ripped suit, he makes beaucoup bucks.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Epic if someone didn't get paid for that though.
I think the design is different enough that it's very clearly inspired by, but not the same thing. In the same way Reaper was clearly John Wick while not being John Wick. It's creatively bankrupt but hardly immoral.