• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Another tech sea of red today. Even though I'm in it for the long haul, it sucks it could likely take months/year to get back to where I was a couple of weeks ago.
I know the feeling. as I bought into Microsoft near the all time high :P

Another day like today and I will be dangerously close to falling to even on the year.
but alas another day like today will create another opportunity to buy a few more shares as well.

I'm figuring that microsoft doesn't get any lower than 180, as I can't imagine it will sniff the lows from the covid drop while the fed is printing money like it is. but we shall see.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Another tech sea of red today. Even though I'm in it for the long haul, it sucks it could likely take months/year to get back to where I was a couple of weeks ago.
Take this as an opportunity to slowly put more money into the companies you expect to recover and keep growing in the future and in a few months/a year you'll have much more money than you did a couple of weeks ago.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Having cash set aside to buy cheaper equities makes me feel better.

The most painful thing ever would be be to see a 1 year + bear market where equities slowly lose 10%+ over that stretch. That would be tough to absorb after how quickly things turned around in March 2020. I would always have in the back of my mind: "what if I could have bought this cheaper... I shouldn't have bought so much!"

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Take this as an opportunity to slowly put more money into the companies you expect to recover and keep growing in the future and in a few months/a year you'll have much more money than you did a couple of weeks ago.
I know this is the right thing to do, and I'm doing it myself, but it's still depressing seeing my losses accelerate as I have more shares and it continues to go down :P

oh well, come on microsoft 199.5 hit my next limit for the day :P

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been quite a while since we had 3 red days in a row (JUN 9-12) and even longer since we saw 4 in row (February peak).

I guess tomorrow will be even more interesting than today was.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm def pouring more money into Apple & Microsoft each day it goes down, In both my Roth & main Brokerage act. Both will be long term most likely. I know I am using some of my Apple Stock for a vacation next year, so I'll sell that early 2021 (I have a min price though, so if it's too low, I'll just keep and wait to sell till later)

Also, dabbled a bit into Boeing. If it goes up again shortly, I'll make a little profit.

Tesla really hit me hard. I should have sold back when it was $500. Lost a good $10k. Oh well, overall my position still good for what the market is. I sold out most Friday and a little extra today. I'll keep the rest, and have a few buy limits if it hits $300. Currently looking at Bettery Day to potentially boost it and make some money back.

My Roth currently has 35k to play with if things keep dropping.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Just broke 20%, could be a big psychological barrier. It'll likely hold and AH will get very interesting.
when I posted I saw it was at 19.82 which is why I'm curious.
I could see it triggering a sell off, though I could also see it triggering people to buy as well.

just like microsoft today took forever to break 205, but since then has continued creeping lower.

I'm gonna be a little sad if it hits 202.5 (which was my original limit) as it would have been around the low for the day, but I personally expected a small rally at close today.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
What's suprising me a bit is that other stuff like coke or the banks are getting hit so hard by this sell off. Might point to the market being more insecure about the whole economy instead of only hot running stocks.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
What's suprising me a bit is that other stuff like coke or the banks are getting hit so hard by this sell off. Might point to the market being more insecure about the whole economy instead of only hot running stocks.
Yup, there have been heavy downward pressure on every sector etf today. Puts strain on stocks in these etfs.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
when I posted I saw it was at 19.82 which is why I'm curious.
I could see it triggering a sell off, though I could also see it triggering people to buy as well.

just like microsoft today took forever to break 205, but since then has continued creeping lower.

I'm gonna be a little sad if it hits 202.5 (which was my original limit) as it would have been around the low for the day, but I personally expected a small rally at close today.
3 sustained days of 8-20% losses, I'm not sure many would view as a buying opportunity right now given the meme status this year. Too many people are jumping out of the burning building right now. Some sign of plateauing would be the buying opportunity.

There is so much recency bias when it comes to TSLA but it's only 3 weeks of gains wiped out, there are a lot of people that will be looking to claim their quickly diminishing gains.

Until the daily losses get into the sub 2%, people will be skeptical of buying. It's literally bitcoin right now. It wouldn't surprise me if it gaps down another 10% tomorrow.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
HA HA HA HA HA HA
I can feel fine
I don't mind being in for 5 more shares at 205. but it's great to me that if I had left my original limit order in I would have missed it by a penny from triggering
Mt4fnfb.png

also ouch, tesla ended up not only past 20% down but to 21% down.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I was in class during mid-day so I didn't check some tickers until now.

Holy shit, TSLA -20%?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
We will probably get a relief rally soon but the structure of the market might have changed in the last week to selling the rips versus buying the dips. Staying neutral for now.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
yep, red robin and vodafone is going down again as well.

overall all red for me as well today :(

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
We will probably get a relief rally soon but the structure of the market might have changed in the last week to selling the rips versus buying the dips. Staying neutral for now.
With that close, I'd personally like to see a gap down open then a push higher.

Any thoughts on the vol crush? I could understand friday's sell, but not so much this one.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

I sold some of my positions at a loss because I was betting on the NASDAQ to recover today. Still, better to hold cash right now than to sit through this downward spiral.

The only two stocks left are SHOP and AMD in my portfolio.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I really wish I didn't get caught up in the Tesla hype. I'm still only down 10% overall with it, just doesn't seem like it's going to get much better that soon. Apple and Amazon I'm not worried about at all.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I didn't get caught up in the Tesla hype. I'm still only down 10% overall with it, just doesn't seem like it's going to get much better that soon. Apple and Amazon I'm not worried about at all.

Even Qualcomm came back after their 90% drop following a 2000+% rise and 4:1 split.

I mean it took 19 1/2 years, but it happened.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Might be looking to start some spread out buying and DCA like I did in March if we see another 3-4% drop in tech. I mis-timed reallocating back in July, the market ran on euphoria longer than I thought it would, but this is what I've been waiting for to get back in.

Basically frothing at the mouth. Just need a bit more of a drop.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
With that close, I'd personally like to see a gap down open then a push higher.

Any thoughts on the vol crush? I could understand friday's sell, but not so much this one.

I think this sell off has continued because too many stocks just ran too hard too fast. I know there are a lot of quality companies, but their valuations have become crazy. It doesn't necessarily mean these can't rally again, but they should take a pause or even sell off due to insane valuations. I've posted the QQQ Weekly Chart before, but just look how it went up in a straight line since the March bottom.

rxhTvJ6.png

That's not sustainable without some sort of correction, which we are going through now. The daily chart doesn't look much better. Last three days the QQQ has had some of the highest volume selling days since the March crash. Which in one way is good because there will be a point of exhaustion selling. On the other hand, heavy selling typically signifies institutional participation on the selling, and they aren't likely to hop back in right away. Not impossible as maybe they are just playing games, but typically not the case. As always TBD.

All the major big name growth players are attached to the QQQ. So if the QQQ sells off, Amazon, Apple, MS, Facebook, Google will all be selling off too. Same with SPY. Semi names are attached to the SMH as another example. So when the SMH sells off the big names in the SMH will sell off too. This is why I watch ETFs even if i own individual stocks. If the sector with them in heavy weighting go down, typically the stock will go down too.

I sold some of my positions at a loss because I was betting on the NASDAQ to recover today. Still, better to hold cash right now than to sit through this downward spiral.

The only two stocks left are SHOP and AMD in my portfolio.

Yeah I've spent the last couple weeks tightening things up too in preparation because I could see how stretched everything was getting.

Last edited:

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
The share price was $140.26 when Elon Musk tweeted that it was too high. TSLA has a long ways to fall.

The timing of their $5 billion raise is genius though. Bad for anyone who bought the shares, but much needed cash for Tesla's operations.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Tesla's best days as a company are almost certainly ahead of it though. Not so for Cisco.
Cisco at the time was a market leader before the rug was pulled from under them and the market flooded with cheaper equipment and software based switching approaches.

Tesla is well ahead right now but ultimately they still buy their batteries from Panasonic, are a very small auto maker and have lots of interesting tech that hasn't reached mass adoption. Their odds of success over Cisco are definitely better but Cisco was considered a very safe stock at the time, a proven company that was ubiquitous in its market.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The share price was $140.26 when Elon Musk tweeted that it was too high. TSLA has a long ways to fall.

The timing of their $5 billion raise is genius though. Bad for anyone who bought the shares, but much needed cash for Tesla's operations.

The capital raise was something I had been screaming about for about for a long time now. Bond offerings make their balance sheet worse, but the share price can recover from dilutions. That, and they need the additional cash on hand for R&D and expansion.

Cisco at the time was a market leader before the rug was pulled from under them and the market flooded with cheaper equipment and software based switching approaches.

Tesla is well ahead right now but ultimately they still buy their batteries from Panasonic, are a very small auto maker and have lots of interesting tech that hasn't reached mass adoption. Their odds of success over Cisco are definitely better but Cisco was considered a very safe stock at the time, a proven company that was ubiquitous in its market.

Yeah, that was a very interesting time in the markets, back when Nortel was still around. IIRC, that was also when Huawei was accused of reverse engineering Cisco gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.