• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
my nintendo stock is the only thing green today. its actually the only thing keeping me above an all-time loss right now. lol.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Will reinvest in TSLA when it's lower than 400. It's good to have some money ready.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I was kinda surprised that Nvidia and AMD are tanking harder than Tesla before realizing that Tesla tanked hard yesterday too lol. Hoping for the worst to be behind us.

des0lar

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
what type of options did you get, and expiration? Did you have a target to sell at?
Got some put credit spreads on FB and NVDA. Also a call on INTC.
I bought NVDA at open, which was absolutely stupid on my side....
FB expires tmrw, which means no chance for recovery unless tomorrow reverses today .

NVDA expires next week, so there is still at least some hope...

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
k

PXemaWW.png

I missed this, but it's jumping because they're doing a SPAC with a Bill Gates-backed solid state battery company.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
My entire portfolio is tech and it's all red, except AMC, which I invest a measly $25 in as a "what if" last week That's up 30%. I'm mad I didn't throw a lot more at it...

I really should balance out instead of being all tech

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
So I've never actually sold stocks before.

If I wanted to sell my Tesla shares only if it hits $400/share, what type of order type would I do?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

If I wanted to sell my Tesla shares only if it hits $400/share, what type of order type would I do?
A stop sell order. As soon as it goes below $400 it will trigger a market order, so you may lose a little as it's executed but should be close provided it's not a monumental drop.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

A stop sell order. As soon as it goes below $400 it will trigger a market order, so you may lose a little as it's executed but should be close provided it's not a monumental drop.
You can also look into stop-limit orders to prevent this if your broker provides it.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
You can also look into stop-limit orders to prevent this if your broker provides it.
Problem with stop limits is if it keeps plummeting and never hits $400 again you don't limit your losses.

But yeah, if you want exactly $400 this is the way to go, it does carry a lot more risk though.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
MrBob

Nasdaq 100 up-trend still in place? What do you think? It's another 2.5% drop to the 20d and the bottom of the channel.

6PsBNePP

Yup, the up trend hasn't changed yet. This is only a pullback for now. If the up trend breaks that would be another signal that perhaps yesterday was potential a major top in the nasdaq (whether short term or long term to be determined). But I usually don't get too worried about an overall trend until the 50 day moving average is breached at the very least. Problem for the nasdaq is the 50 day is still very far below.... could see a decent size correction in the nasdaq and still technically be in a longer term uptrend.

You watching the megaphone on the s&p?

Yup. It could be the top, but so many people know about the megaphone top it makes me think that isn't the actual top. Could just be a reactionary pullback from hitting that level. We had the fastest drop ever followed by the fastest recovery ever that pierced the top of the megaphone. Doesn't seem too strange to me to see a reaction in the other direction. Typically the faster the market moves towards a target, the better chance of a bounce in the other direction. Doesn't mean it's over. Just means the sp500 was going too fast at this megaphone and will need to reset. If SP500 keeps falling, well, another story potentially then. Still in the pullback/correction camp versus a crash, but will just have to look at the new data every day..

Last edited:

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Got some put credit spreads on FB and NVDA. Also a call on INTC.
I bought NVDA at open, which was absolutely stupid on my side....
FB expires tmrw, which means no chance for recovery unless tomorrow reverses today .

NVDA expires next week, so there is still at least some hope...
That's atleast pretty good, I was scared you had like weekly options that were otm.

With spreads, you need to make sure you have enough money to buy back the options. If you leave them to far gone, you can end up losing more because you couldn't execute them. I can't really tell you to sell or not cause even right now i'm not sure if this holds. I'm cautiously a bear, pending tommorrow's price action. You can hold those next week options to see if there is a follow through to the down side, or a move higher.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You are looking for a stop limit, but 400 is bad number to do it on. It's probably flooded with both buy orders and countless other sell orders. So if your limit hits it would sell in the chronological placement in which you placed it (probably late to the party on that one) and possibly bounce right off of 400 to a higher valuation due to existing purchase orders in place.

If you're feeling bearish on TSLA place your stop limit above what you're willing to lose and capture some gains, if you're still bullish place it below hoping to hold onto your shares in the case of a bounce. Either way try and stay away from really nice numbers [in the current TSLA case meaning cleanly divisible by 100].

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
You are looking for a stop limit, but 400 is bad number to do it on. It's probably flooded with both buy orders and countless other sell orders. So if your limit hits it would sell in the chronological placement in which you placed it (probably late to the party on that one) and possibly bounce right off of 400 to a higher valuation due to existing purchase orders in place.

If you're feeling bearish on TSLA place your stop limit above what you're willing to lose and capture some gains, if you're still bullish place it below hoping to hold onto your shares in the case of a bounce. Either way try and stay away from really nice numbers [in the current TSLA case meaning cleanly divisible by 100].

Oh good points - thanks for sharing!

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, the up trend hasn't changed yet. This is only a pullback for now. If the up trend breaks that would be another signal that perhaps yesterday was potential a major top in the nasdaq (whether short term or long term to be determined). But I usually don't get too worried about an overall trend until the 50 day moving average is breached at the very least. Problem for the nasdaq is the 50 day is still very far below.... could see a decent size correction in the nasdaq and still technically be in a longer term uptrend.

Yup. It could be the top, but so many people know about the megaphone top it makes me think that isn't the actual top. Could just be a reactionary pullback from hitting that level. We had the fastest drop ever followed by the fastest recovery ever that pierced the top of the megaphone. Doesn't seem too strange to me to see a reaction in the other direction. Typically the faster the market moves towards a target, the better chance of a bounce in the other direction. Doesn't mean it's over. Just means the sp500 was going too fast at this megaphone and will need to reset. If SP500 keeps falling, well, another story potentially then.

Yeah, for me I'm just eyeing the hourly trend change. With a possible confirmation tomorrow. What makes me lean more bearish atleast was that rejection finance had. If QQQ is pulling back and the market can't even get finance in order, we'll probably see much lower. All i know is, if we end the week here, it's a pretty bad look for S&P.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Screw, I'll buy in a bit on QQQ and will just be ready to buy in more over the next week and beyond if there are further drops.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Everyone talks about buying TSLA when it soars and selling when it crashes. Come on people.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I might buy plug power again now that it's dipped. Made some money selling it last month 🤔

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I shouldn't have been sleeping... Not a huge loss today but I could've gained more than I lost had I been awake for it. >_<

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm too tech heavy and have been thinking about this for a while. I'm up over 200% on AMD, up 100% on MSFT, 150% on NVDA, 100% on JD (ecommerce). I need to diversify and today just reinforced that.

Any good non-tech sector plays you're looking at for the recovering economy? I missed out on HD that I wanted to cop and CAT that I was thinking about. I have some BAC at 18, but I'm thinking JPM instead with it's 3% div, but I know banks are going to hurt for a while given what Powell has been preaching about rates.

Any good picks my friends? This place, like my portfolio seems to skew tech heavy, but looking for more diversification.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
wow, :(

Fastly is below my buy price. Glad I went out earlier.
MS is nearly down to it. Sold them as well.
Should have done this earlier today though :D

Red Robin is kinda stable today, interesting.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
These 10% losses across the board today are brutal. But they shouldn't have really been this high to begin with, so.

Hopefully there's a decent day in store tomorrow.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
bought a bit more microsoft at 217.50... now it's down another buck.

Oh well, if it keeps falling I will just buy more next week lol.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
So like a pull back, was coming eventually, now the question is if this is the start of a trend change. too early to call yet tho.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Lol when I see Tesla, I see near $2000/share still (pre-split price).

I don't think I even care to look that way until $300ish

Status
Not open for further replies.