• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Activision is down a notch it's good to buy if you interested in holding some of those...

Activision Blizzard is scary. Blizzard is in chaos mode, and Activision's main franchise is still only CoD. Blackout is doing good, but it's very very very scary to only have one franchise holding up an entire company. CoD may still be huge today, but as we know, these things can change extremely fast. Companies with a wider variety of products (in this case video game franchises) are a much safer bet.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Activision Blizzard is scary. Blizzard is in chaos mode, and Activision's main franchise is still only CoD. Blackout is doing good, but it's very very very scary to only have one franchise holding up an entire company. CoD may still be huge today, but as we know, these things can change extremely fast. Companies with a wider variety of products (in this case video game franchises) are a much safer bet.

They are on a hiring spree at Blizzard for D4.. However World of Warcraft has never seen a worse time in it's life.. And yeah they rely on CoD as a big franchise and on Blizzard as a whole.

It's not a bad company to hold out especially since if they do have a MW4 it's gonna be hot bread.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I wrote a couple gaming related commentary columns the past two weeks that may be interest.

A week ago, suggested Apple acquire or enter in a strategic partnership with Nintendo with a big equity stake. Also highlighted Nintendo's strong fundamentals with its strong console and software sales. Nintendo stock rose 12% this week.

This week I wrote about how Wall Street's 2019 earnings estimates for both Electronic Arts and Activision Blizzard are too high given their lackluster game sales / title pipelines. The earnings disappointments will be bad news for both companies' stock prices, I argue.

Wait, you were the author for the apple & nintendo article? Why do you think Nintendo would fit in with Apples culture?

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Activision is down a notch it's good to buy if you interested in holding some of those...

Yeah.

Earnings coming February I don't think they'll meet target seeing how destiny didn't manage to meet expectations but I'm not so sure on blizzard and mobile sector. So take my words with skeptism

COD should be as expected tho.
Point Is the stock might go down again February. So keep that in mind if going long.

On long term tho Activision might need another 'destiny' type cash cow

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Yeah.

Earnings coming February I don't think they'll meet target seeing how destiny didn't manage to meet expectations but I'm not so sure on blizzard and mobile sector. So take my words with skeptism

COD should be as expected tho.
Point Is the stock might go down again February. So keep that in mind if going long.

On long term tho Activision might need another 'destiny' type cash cow

Blackout might go free to play or buy 2 play seperately come the next CoD and could compete further down the line.

Regarding other franchises I have no idea.. Blizzard easily does a come back with a Overwatch 2 or a campaign.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Hey everyone, after I got really pissed at the big dip from last quarter and I sold most of my stock, I've slowly started looking into purchases again, but I'm still pretty pessimistic for 2019.

Microsoft is a mixed bag. On the gaming front, I think they're gaining market share, they're investing in a shared ecosystem between Xbox and PC, in high-res streaming, in actual content (with studio purchases and the like), and in general the Xbox division seems to have reinvented themselves in the last three to four years in order to build momentum towards next-gen launch. I really think Xbox will offer much more serious competition in the gaming space, both on console and PC, when the next generation hits. However, Microsoft is much more than gaming, so this isn't relevant. Their non-gaming ventures have a lot more struggles and fierce competition, so it remains to be seen how they'll solve those problems. Not sure what to think about this stock.

As for AMD and Nvidia, when it comes to earnings releases, they'll have to compete with their past selfs. The crypto bubble is over, it's all back to gaming, but the newest graphics cards don't seem to be as mindblowing as some had hoped, new consoles aren't coming until late 2020, and 7 nm chips are still too expensive for mass adoption. So I'm not holding my hand in the fire for these two, and I don't expect much incredible from them until next year, which means I'll start looking into these two again at the end of the Summer.

Electronic Arts and Activision have a big problem as well. They're hitting a wall on console for their 'recurring revenue streams' (the wall is the audience size and the amount of money that can be squeezed out of a single user) and they're failing to increase their market share on mobile. EA is very dependent on their licenses, while Activision is basically Call of Duty + Candy Crush + Blizzard. They need to grow their catalogue of active IP and diversify in genres and audiences. With the loss of Destiny, the focus shifts toward Call of Duty even more.

NBA 2K is still growing for Take-Two, but they'll have the same problem as EA a couple of years later. At least they still have a huge 'different audiences' branch, which is the combined output of Borderlands, Bioshock, Mafia, etcetera under 2K, plus everything Rockstar. For 2019, it remains to be seen how Red Dead Online will evolve, but I'm confident. GTAO will continue to make loads of money. Take-Two also has Private Division, and they'll publish Obsidian's new RPG. There have been rumblings that the release of Borderlands 3 is coming closer as well, so Take-Two has put bets on more horses than just RDR and NBA 2K. I don't own TTWO stocks right now, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on them.

As for European stocks, I don't see too many problems for Ubisoft on the horizon. They keep creating new IP and have a very diversified output. It looks like Far Cry is going annual now, which is great for their earnings in the short-term, but could become a problem in the long term. They have had a similar problem with Assassin's Creed in the past, so hopefully they'll identify and solve such problems more effectively this time. I'm optimistic about their performance in 2019 and beyond.

CD Projekt's 2019 share performance will live and die with Cyberpunk's release. The market expectation is a release for Holiday 2019. A delay to next fiscal year would cause a big short term drop. If it does indeed come this Fall, I expect big hype and similar behaviour in the company's share price starting right before E3. In the long term, CD Projekt is definitely a company I consider investing in. Cyberpunk 2077 will be huge; I expect a cross-gen release, and they've stated in a previous annual report that they were aiming for another AAA game release before the end of 2021, which is most likely a new The Witcher game. They have expanded in 2018: they currently have two AAA teams and two smaller teams, as well as a mobile games studio called Spokko. So I think we'll see a lot more from them in the coming five years than we've seen in the past five years.

THQ Nordic will have to prove itself this year. They acquired Koch Media in February, so they won't get free ~1000% YoY increases with their earnings this time around. In 2018, the publishing business was their main source of income. In 2019, software development should take a bigger share, as projects started in the year before the IPO should get announced and/or released and the Deep Silver branch will release multiple projects, such as Metro Exodus, Shenmue III, Wasteland 3, and potentially even Dead Island 2 or the unannounced Volition game. Those games are in no way comparable with whatever the THQ Nordic branch is putting out (although Biomutant looks awesome!) and should generate amazing revenues compared to what the company has shown so far. 2019 is the year of truth for this brand new European juggernaut.

What should I say about Starbreeze... I think it's better to not say anything and just pray they get out this situation alive. I'm pessimistic tho.

As for Paradox Interactive, I've never been a customer of theirs and I'm not as involved in following news around their products as much as other companies, but I think that they'll have a healthy year in 2019. Even in quarters without new releases, they have good revenue streams from selling expansion packs and such, so there's a good foundation. In 2019, they plan to release two new games, and they'll expand their console business further with console releases for Stellaris. I'd love to hear the thoughts of others on this stock tho, as I'm not well-informed myself.

There are also multiple British companies that have entered the Alternative Investment Market in the last two years. Sumo Digital and Team17 look the most promising to me, but they are very high risk, as they are not required to release quarterly reports, are of much smaller scale, and are more dependent on external partners. Codemasters keeps struggling.

This is fantastic thread ! Great job OP ! I'll definitely invest when commission starts to kick in :(
Thanks for the compliment! :)

I wrote a couple gaming related commentary columns the past two weeks that may be interest.

A week ago, suggested Apple acquire or enter in a strategic partnership with Nintendo with a big equity stake. Also highlighted Nintendo's strong fundamentals with its strong console and software sales. Nintendo stock rose 12% this week.

This week I wrote about how Wall Street's 2019 earnings estimates for both Electronic Arts and Activision Blizzard are too high given their lackluster game sales / title pipelines. The earnings disappointments will be bad news for both companies' stock prices, I argue.
Welcome back! :D

While I don't think Apple and Nintendo would make a great partnership, I agree with you on your EA/ATVI story.

Last edited:

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
They are on a hiring spree at Blizzard for D4.. However World of Warcraft has never seen a worse time in it's life.. And yeah they rely on CoD as a big franchise and on Blizzard as a whole.

It's not a bad company to hold out especially since if they do have a MW4 it's gonna be hot bread.

Investors want security. Blizzard is entering new territory, as it is trying out wildly different corporate strategies from what it has done in the past. This could work out very well, or it could devour the whole company.

The next CoD could be a massive success, but it's the uncertainty that scares us off as investors. If a Ubisoft game fails to live up to expectations, it may not be that bad, as the next Ubisoft title is mere months away from the last. Maybe CoD will continue to be a massive franchise even a decade from now. Or maybe it will shrink in size year after year as new competitors rise up and as gamers seek new things. It's hard to say.

My point is, Activision Blizzard could end up as a big winner; if battle royale is here to stay and CoD keeps nailing it, and if Blizzard's new strategies work out, the company could perform incredibly well. Or, it could crash entirely. Risk/reward.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is a mixed bag. On the gaming front, I think they're gaining market share, they're investing in a shared ecosystem between Xbox and PC, in high-res streaming, in actual content (with studio purchases and the like), and in general the Xbox division seems to have reinvented themselves in the last three to four years in order to build momentum towards next-gen launch. I really think Xbox will offer much more serious competition in the gaming space, both on console and PC, when the next generation hits. However, Microsoft is much more than gaming, and I'm not sure what to expect from them in those spaces.

Xbox is solid, it's generating good revenue, but all-in-all it's not a major part of Microsoft. Windows and Office have always been Microsoft's flagship products, and they are struggling. Microsoft was the richest company in the world in their stride, now they're falling as they've experienced failure after failure. Social media, search engines, smartphones, music players, and more have all been enormous failures for Microsoft, and even their flagship product Windows have had many issues particularly with Vista and 8, which allowed Apple to climb. I think there are many companies who are thirsty for the OS space, and as mobile usage continue to increase (and thus android do the same), I think there are ways for digital companies who haven't focused on computer OS's in the past to start doing so. The next decade will hit Microsoft hard unless they change things. MS will remain big at corporations, but will struggle with consumers.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Xbox is solid, it's generating good revenue, but all-in-all it's not a major part of Microsoft. Windows and Office have always been Microsoft's flagship products, and they are struggling. Microsoft was the richest company in the world in their stride, now they're falling as they've experienced failure after failure. Social media, search engines, smartphones, music players, and more have all been enormous failures for Microsoft, and even their flagship product Windows have had many issues particularly with Vista and 8, which allowed Apple to climb. I think there are many companies who are thirsty for the OS space, and as mobile usage continue to increase (and thus android do the same), I think there are ways for digital companies who haven't focused on computer OS's in the past to start doing so. The next decade will hit Microsoft hard unless they change things. MS will remain big at corporations, but will struggle with consumers.
I think I wasn't clear enough in my wording. That last sentence was supposed to say that their gaming performance doesn't really matter for their business/stock performance. I've edited my post. I completely agree with you.

What do you think about Paradox btw?

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is a good stock, particularly their cloud services are dominant and as a company they've been doing good these past few years, basically after Ballmer was replaced I'd guess. Dunno why people here assume they're a bad buy just because of the Xbox department (which, iirc is also getting much better last couple of years)

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I think I wasn't clear enough in my wording. That last sentence was supposed to say that their gaming performance doesn't really matter for their business/stock performance. I've edited my post. I completely agree with you.

What do you think about Paradox btw?

Good question, I honestly haven't looked into Paradox in a long time. I know that they have big ambitions but I haven't run any proper analysis of their business or their data.

Microsoft is a good stock, particularly their cloud services are dominant and as a company they've been doing good these past few years, basically after Ballmer was replaced I'd guess. Dunno why people here assume they're a bad buy just because of the Xbox department (which, iirc is also getting much better last couple of years)

Literally not a single person in this thread has said that MS is a bad buy because of their Xbox department.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm back in on NTDOY, heavily invested at an average cost basis around $34. I have high hopes for 2019.

Only individual stock I'm currently invested in. Everything else is in ETFs, Index Funds, or some target year retirement funds.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm not convinced there are any obvious buys at the moment in the sector. I don't follow Nintendo or Ubi for investments, and Sony and MS are so diversified. So for the others:

ATVI - down about 40%, earnings should be solid, stock seemed to be recovering recently until that shocking Bungie exit. Kotick is the best CEO in the business, a master at financial engineering to help boost earnings per share, but so far it looks like ATVI gave up Destiny earnings for 2019/20 and got nothing in return. That's disappointing. I think CoD and Blackout are doing well, but guidance for 2019 could be disappointing and there's a dearth of catalysts.

EA - also down about 40%, I think a buy here is really a speculative buy on Anthem hype, and there's a potential window for that between the upcoming earning release and the next one. That 3 month window will be all Anthem hype, and the May earnings release will be the reality check on it. The company is struggling other than FIFA, they have a huuuuge over-reliance on earnings from FUT which has some lootbox related risk (legislation, consumer acceptance), and they were downgraded just a day or two ago by a long-time bullish analyst whose new PT is only $95, which effectively means he expects EA to under-perform the market. It might be best to wait for the upcoming earnings release and if there's a Battlefield fueled disappointment and drop in price, and if you're bullish on Anthem, jump on that quickly, like within hours, then get out when Anthem launches especially if it doesn't look like a massive success.

TTWO - earnings should be good, I'd also be concerned about forward guidance. The bulk of RDR2 sales are in the past, and the question now is how well that MP will monetize and whether it cannibalizes GTAV or is additive. Typically the best time to own TTWO is the 12-18 months leading up to a GTA or RDR launch and they have nothing on the horizon. I think TTWO will be less volatile than the other two.

If we're looking 12 months out I prefer ATVI's stock out of those 3 but like I said, none are obvious buys despite their recent drops. Although the crypto bubble is over, I think NVDA is set up for a good 2019 after its big drop in 2018. And also I said, EA will likely do well between the upcoming earnings report and Anthem's launch.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Hey Era Stock Watchers. I asked the mods if it was okay to post this but haven't heard back from them so I'm going to pray this is cool. So basically, i had a podcast a few years ago that was about the business and finances of video games. I've no shame in admitting that it was a complete rip of APM's Marketplace. I did 7 episodes and had ZERO listeners. Needless to say, it was soul crushing. So much so, that I haven't tried anything again like this in years.

That was in 2014, but there's a part of me that has a difficult time just giving up and I've been wanting to try again for years. I have no idea what didn't work. Not sure if it was the execution? My voice? the subject matter? Lack of visibility. I have no idea, but I'm not a fan of repeating mistakes.

I'd love to get feedback from ERA, specifically this group. Is there even a market for this type of thing in the gaming industry? I hope so. My goal was always to create a brand like Kinda Funny, but I'm a one man operation so I have to play to my strengths. I'm not 'funny'. I don't have a team of buds to kid around with about gaming culture. The long game was to make these, as well as Mini-documentaries about the industry (My old series was called SHIFT), but again, I just don't know if I'll get any traction and I want to learn from where I screwed up as these are incredibly time intensive and resource heavy.

Anyway, ERA, I'd love any comments, criticism, and/or feedback so I can try launching this again. If it's time to put a fork in it, be frank and let me know that too. I'm just tired of not knowing.

ERA mods, PLEASE don't ban me and at least give me an opportunity to pull the thread if I'm breaking ERA rules. I really don't know:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast...reaking-into/id848655544?i=1000291648543&mt=2

Tobe

Oct 25, 2017
hey guys, is there a way for a peruvian to buy US stocks? cause ive been looking into it and pretty much you have to be a citizen to do it.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I just bought some more Sony stock. My shares since I started buying them are up 35%. I'm pleased.
I usually just buy ETFs, but some companies like Sony I buy directly.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Hey Era Stock Watchers. I asked the mods if it was okay to post this but haven't heard back from them so I'm going to pray this is cool. So basically, i had a podcast a few years ago that was about the business and finances of video games. I've no shame in admitting that it was a complete rip of APM's Marketplace. I did 7 episodes and had ZERO listeners. Needless to say, it was soul crushing. So much so, that I haven't tried anything again like this in years.

That was in 2014, but there's a part of me that has a difficult time just giving up and I've been wanting to try again for years. I have no idea what didn't work. Not sure if it was the execution? My voice? the subject matter? Lack of visibility. I have no idea, but I'm not a fan of repeating mistakes.

I'd love to get feedback from ERA, specifically this group. Is there even a market for this type of thing in the gaming industry? I hope so. My goal was always to create a brand like Kinda Funny, but I'm a one man operation so I have to play to my strengths. I'm not 'funny'. I don't have a team of buds to kid around with about gaming culture. The long game was to make these, as well as Mini-documentaries about the industry (My old series was called SHIFT), but again, I just don't know if I'll get any traction and I want to learn from where I screwed up as these are incredibly time intensive and resource heavy.

Anyway, ERA, I'd love any comments, criticism, and/or feedback so I can try launching this again. If it's time to put a fork in it, be frank and let me know that too. I'm just tired of not knowing.

ERA mods, PLEASE don't ban me and at least give me an opportunity to pull the thread if I'm breaking ERA rules. I really don't know:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast...reaking-into/id848655544?i=1000291648543&mt=2
I've only listened to the episode of 29 April 2014 (not the mini feature), and my first reaction is: this is tiring to listen to. It's like the hourly news break on the radio, but it goes on for 17 minutes instead of two. There's way too much energy: you talk loud and fast, and it's a monologue. It would be much more interesting and pleasant to listen to a podcast that goes in-depth on a topic, where two or more people talk to each other about the subject (a dialogue) and things go much slower. You're running a marathon at the speed that suits a 100m sprint. A short segment can be high energy, talk quick, lots of new info in a short time span. But even a 10 minute recording is too long for that.

Another thing is that most, if not all information you offer in that podcast can be easily found online. What is the added value of your product to the listener? Is it your opinion, your insights, or your expertise? If there isn't any unique value, there's no incentive for anyone to listen to the recording. Even if the potential audience is only three people, they won't listen if there is no unique value.

I have no idea how much of an audience there is for a gaming business podcast, but if you want to make one, I think the best format would be to make it a weekly podcast where two or three people talk about gaming business news, earnings releases, and the stock market performance of the week. Both inform and give opinions based on the information provided. Create a discussion. I think somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes would be a nice episode length. But like I said earlier, the podcast lives and dies with the knowledge/insight/discussion power of the podcast members.

As for viewership, it takes time for the people who make the podcast to grow in their role, and it takes a lot of effort to reach people who may want to listen to the podcast and actually create an audience. Just keep going. These things grow exponentially, not linearly, which means it's harder to go from 100 to 200 listeners than from 1000 to 2000 listeners - until you hit the ceiling of course, which is the potential audience size.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
thank you so much for the feedback! By the April episode, I locked down format and rhythm. In a class right now but I want to go back and digest what you typed. If you wouldn't mind, please give the April 2nd episode a shot and let me know if that's better. The one with VR and Microsoft and Pachter...

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
For anybody that takes the time to listen to the show, I wanted to specify which episode to listen to. The early episodes were definitely finding their feet, but the episode 5 about Virtual Reality or 2 - the mini feature about used games are the ones where I lock format.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Hey everyone, after I got really pissed at the big dip from last quarter and I sold most of my stock, I've slowly started looking into purchases again, but I'm still pretty pessimistic for 2019.

Microsoft is a mixed bag. On the gaming front, I think they're gaining market share, they're investing in a shared ecosystem between Xbox and PC, in high-res streaming, in actual content (with studio purchases and the like), and in general the Xbox division seems to have reinvented themselves in the last three to four years in order to build momentum towards next-gen launch. I really think Xbox will offer much more serious competition in the gaming space, both on console and PC, when the next generation hits. However, Microsoft is much more than gaming, so this isn't relevant. Their non-gaming ventures have a lot more struggles and fierce competition, so it remains to be seen how they'll solve those problems. Not sure what to think about this stock.

As for AMD and Nvidia, when it comes to earnings releases, they'll have to compete with their past selfs. The crypto bubble is over, it's all back to gaming, but the newest graphics cards don't seem to be as mindblowing as some had hoped, new consoles aren't coming until late 2020, and 7 nm chips are still too expensive for mass adoption. So I'm not holding my hand in the fire for these two, and I don't expect much incredible from them until next year, which means I'll start looking into these two again at the end of the Summer.

Electronic Arts and Activision have a big problem as well. They're hitting a wall on console for their 'recurring revenue streams' (the wall is the audience size and the amount of money that can be squeezed out of a single user) and they're failing to increase their market share on mobile. EA is very dependent on their licenses, while Activision is basically Call of Duty + Candy Crush + Blizzard. They need to grow their catalogue of active IP and diversify in genres and audiences. With the loss of Destiny, the focus shifts toward Call of Duty even more.

NBA 2K is still growing for Take-Two, but they'll have the same problem as EA a couple of years later. At least they still have a huge 'different audiences' branch, which is the combined output of Borderlands, Bioshock, Mafia, etcetera under 2K, plus everything Rockstar. For 2019, it remains to be seen how Red Dead Online will evolve, but I'm confident. GTAO will continue to make loads of money. Take-Two also has Private Division, and they'll publish Obsidian's new RPG. There have been rumblings that the release of Borderlands 3 is coming closer as well, so Take-Two has put bets on more horses than just RDR and NBA 2K. I don't own TTWO stocks right now, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on them.

As for European stocks, I don't see too many problems for Ubisoft on the horizon. They keep creating new IP and have a very diversified output. It looks like Far Cry is going annual now, which is great for their earnings in the short-term, but could become a problem in the long term. They have had a similar problem with Assassin's Creed in the past, so hopefully they'll identify and solve such problems more effectively this time. I'm optimistic about their performance in 2019 and beyond.

CD Projekt's 2019 share performance will live and die with Cyberpunk's release. The market expectation is a release for Holiday 2019. A delay to next fiscal year would cause a big short term drop. If it does indeed come this Fall, I expect big hype and similar behaviour in the company's share price starting right before E3. In the long term, CD Projekt is definitely a company I consider investing in. Cyberpunk 2077 will be huge; I expect a cross-gen release, and they've stated in a previous annual report that they were aiming for another AAA game release before the end of 2021, which is most likely a new The Witcher game. They have expanded in 2018: they currently have two AAA teams and two smaller teams, as well as a mobile games studio called Spokko. So I think we'll see a lot more from them in the coming five years than we've seen in the past five years.

THQ Nordic will have to prove itself this year. They acquired Koch Media in February, so they won't get free ~1000% YoY increases with their earnings this time around. In 2018, the publishing business was their main source of income. In 2019, software development should take a bigger share, as projects started in the year before the IPO should get announced and/or released and the Deep Silver branch will release multiple projects, such as Metro Exodus, Shenmue III, Wasteland 3, and potentially even Dead Island 2 or the unannounced Volition game. Those games are in no way comparable with whatever the THQ Nordic branch is putting out (although Biomutant looks awesome!) and should generate amazing revenues compared to what the company has shown so far. 2019 is the year of truth for this brand new European juggernaut.

What should I say about Starbreeze... I think it's better to not say anything and just pray they get out this situation alive. I'm pessimistic tho.

As for Paradox Interactive, I've never been a customer of theirs and I'm not as involved in following news around their products as much as other companies, but I think that they'll have a healthy year in 2019. Even in quarters without new releases, they have good revenue streams from selling expansion packs and such, so there's a good foundation. In 2019, they plan to release two new games, and they'll expand their console business further with console releases for Stellaris. I'd love to hear the thoughts of others on this stock tho, as I'm not well-informed myself.

There are also multiple British companies that have entered the Alternative Investment Market in the last two years. Sumo Digital and Team17 look the most promising to me, but they are very high risk, as they are not required to release quarterly reports, are of much smaller scale, and are more dependent on external partners. Codemasters keeps struggling.

Thanks for the compliment! :)

Welcome back! :D

While I don't think Apple and Nintendo would make a great partnership, I agree with you on your EA/ATVI story.
Nothing on Japanese companies? They seem to be the interesting ones to watch. Especially capcom, if everything they release this year, DMC5, RE2, MHW:expansion will have a positive reception they can have their best year ever.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
For anybody that takes the time to listen to the show, I wanted to specify which episode to listen to. The early episodes were definitely finding their feet, but the episode 5 about Virtual Reality or 2 - the mini feature about used games are the ones where I lock format.
I'll give your podcast a listen tomorrow always try to find something interesting to listen to while I zone out and game/run.

Anyway not super hot on any gaming stocks right now. Only ones I still have are AMD and Nintendo. Considering taking out my money soon as I don't think the US economy will be to hot this year.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I'll give your podcast a listen tomorrow always try to find something interesting to listen to while I zone out and game/run.

Anyway not super hot on any gaming stocks right now. Only ones I still have are AMD and Nintendo. Considering taking out my money soon as I don't think the US economy will be to hot this year.
Appreciate it! It's old. From 2014. And it's not traditional podcast. More like APM's Marketplace with Kai Rysdall...that's what I was going for. Something you'd hear on NPR instead of like Giant Bomb it a more casual show.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
RedEye recently did an analysis on Remedy, and they're basically confirming the same things I've been saying, giving it a solid rating: https://www.redeye.se/company/remedy-entertainment

Some highlights:
- History of high-quality games, praised by both critics and fans.
- Excellent ownership, with a vast majority of stocks owned by employees and management of RMD (meaning the employees are invested in the company's success).
- New strategy looks promising, as the company is focusing on making more games at the same time.
- Low risk. Even if Control would turn out to be a commercial failure, all of the costs have already been paid for in the previous FY.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm a bit late, but I've updated the OP with the earnings release data of the different companies.

Focus Home Interactive and Koei Tecmo have already revealed their earnings. They can be found in the OP. This week and the weeks to follow, a lot of companies will follow, starting with AMD tomorrow.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isnt amazon web services the dominant cloud service with google beeig distant second?

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
I'll be watching NTDOY closely this week.. current share price seems to reflect the market consensus that 'switch is losing momentum' which I think is too pessimistic..Nintendo's ex-cash P/E ratio recently fell to 10x and that was mid 2013 level.. yes it's a bad PR for Nintendo that MP4 was in trouble but this is by no means Wii U bad and I fully expect Nintendo to report record-breaking sales in both hardware and software later this week..

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be watching NTDOY closely this week.. current share price seems to reflect the market consensus that 'switch is losing momentum' which I think is too pessimistic..Nintendo's ex-cash P/E ratio recently fell to 10x and that was mid 2013 level.. yes it's a bad PR for Nintendo that MP4 was in trouble but this is by no means Wii U bad and I fully expect Nintendo to report record-breaking sales in both hardware and software later this week..
MP4 is not a significant system seller anyways. the game is easily replacable from a sales standpoint

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
Isnt amazon web services the dominant cloud service with google beeig distant second?

AWS is still the clear leader but Azure is now much bigger than google cloud.. Revenue wise, Azure is about half of AWS but with a higher growth rate YoY.. still a somewhat distant second but what it achieved in last few years is remarkable.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
and we have an "extraordinary, unusually turbulent, and disappointing quarter'' as Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang cited..
  • Sees 4Q rev. of $2.2bn vs. estimate of $2.7bn
  • Datacenter revenue came in short of expectation as a number of deals in the forecast did not close
  • New gaming GPUs sales lower than expected
  • Deteriorating macroeconomic conditions, particularly in China

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
and we have an "extraordinary, unusually turbulent, and disappointing quarter'' as Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang cited..
  • Sees 4Q rev. of $2.2bn vs. estimate of $2.7bn
  • Datacenter revenue came in short of expectation as a number of deals in the forecast did not close
  • New gaming GPUs sales lower than expected
  • Deteriorating macroeconomic conditions, particularly in China
Jeez NVDA stock down 16% right now. AMD down about 7%. Rest of tech down like 2-3%.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Ouch, from $2.7B to $2.2B means it's a 19% revenue cut. There goes half of their profit.

AMD's earnings release is tomorrow after market close, so their -7% is clearly fleeing behaviour of investors. They didn't deem it necessary to update their guidance, so we'll see how the market will react to their earnings release. They have already been punished for their initial weak guidance for Q4 at the Q3 earnings release, so lowering it even further would be pretty disastrous.

Personally, I've retreated myself from American tech/gaming stocks, and these kinds of reports don't make me want to jump back in.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Guess it's time to buy some more NVDA.
Also weed stocks are having a nice run, CGC broke the 50 barrier

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
RedEye recently did an analysis on Remedy, and they're basically confirming the same things I've been saying, giving it a solid rating: https://www.redeye.se/company/remedy-entertainment

Some highlights:
- History of high-quality games, praised by both critics and fans.
- Excellent ownership, with a vast majority of stocks owned by employees and management of RMD (meaning the employees are invested in the company's success).
- New strategy looks promising, as the company is focusing on making more games at the same time.
- Low risk. Even if Control would turn out to be a commercial failure, all of the costs have already been paid for in the previous FY.
Thanks for this wolf gonna give this a read later when I'm free.

Google are the distant third.
If I remember correctly it's amazon and Microsoft at the top for the cloud right?

Not sure how hardware will do but I'm with you for good software numbers for the switch as a whole.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Ouch, from $2.7B to $2.2B means it's a 19% revenue cut. There goes half of their profit.

AMD's earnings release is tomorrow after market close, so their -7% is clearly fleeing behaviour of investors.

Fleeting behavior... hahaha. Wall Street is super irrational about AMD. They'll probably beat their earnings estimate a few cents a share, then drop a couple bucks anyways.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm not in the position to post the numbers here, but AMD earnings are out, and the stock is up 9% in the aftermarket.

Forecast for next quarter is much lower than analysts expected tho.

Aorange999

Oct 27, 2017

I know that ERA probably isn't the best place to get market advice but seriously, MSFT is currently the most valuable company on the NASDAQ by mkt cap over Apple, Amazon etc. They are far from failing and in fact are very well positioned for the next 5 years with Azure cloud which is the backbone of pretty much everything they are doing. Moving Xbox, Windows and Office over to their cloud business is a master stroke that aligns their verticals in a way that has never been possible at Microsoft. By laser focus on cloud as their core business (and the subscription model) they have ensured a stable of solid predictable business that allows them to compete very successfully. Also add the fact that every major retailer, Walmart, Walgreens etc is signing on to use their cloud and AI tools to combat Amazon as they are the only viable alternative you end up with a strong company that will only trend upwards as more companies move everything to cloud. As far as gaming is concerned its now considered a core business there with Phil Spencer reporting that Xbox division financials are now part of the CFO's core spreadsheet that runs the investment priorities in the company Xbox is only going to grow. They also have a strong horse in the race for future technologies like VR and AR which is also another big bet they are assuming will pan out in the 5 -10 year timeframe. I trade MSFT and NTDOY and a couple of other tech stocks casually.

I think once again the market has no idea how to regard NTDOY right now. The charts for that company don't tell the whole story unfortunately. I had a nice run from $26 to $50 2017 into 2018. I think they are due for another decent year maybe not as crazy as from the introduction of the Switch but a strong 20%.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I am really looking forward to Nintendo's results for Q3. I think they had a record-breaking quarter but stock could really go both ways lol.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Buy Puts and Calls

Is this post from 2011?

Oct 28, 2017
With GameStop (GME) trading as low as it is what do you guys think? My expectation is that they are in that 5 year low that happens every generation. Once Next gen is announced and is confirmed to physical media , I expect the price to make a nice recovery.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
With GameStop (GME) trading as low as it is what do you guys think? My expectation is that they are in that 5 year low that happens every generation. Once Next gen is announced and is confirmed to physical media , I expect the price to make a nice recovery.

Problem is the used games business.
That's where they make money. 40% margins instead of roughly 10%.
That will not change with a new generation, as digital adoption and cheap digital backlog sales continue.

They need to transform their business, but i don't know how.
Physical games have to become something desirable again. Like Vinyl.
But publisher need to work in tandem with retailers to achieve this.

Digital codes with extra physical gimmicks.
The margin for that would still not be as good, though.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I think it'll recover a bit but overall I don't think it'll get back to any good high it had before. Digital is going up and a lot of the new ventures they have tried haven't panned out.

I know that ERA probably isn't the best place to get market advice but seriously, MSFT is currently the most valuable company on the NASDAQ by mkt cap over Apple, Amazon etc. They are far from failing and in fact are very well positioned for the next 5 years with Azure cloud which is the backbone of pretty much everything they are doing. Moving Xbox, Windows and Office over to their cloud business is a master stroke that aligns their verticals in a way that has never been possible at Microsoft. By laser focus on cloud as their core business (and the subscription model) they have ensured a stable of solid predictable business that allows them to compete very successfully. Also add the fact that every major retailer, Walmart, Walgreens etc is signing on to use their cloud and AI tools to combat Amazon as they are the only viable alternative you end up with a strong company that will only trend upwards as more companies move everything to cloud. As far as gaming is concerned its now considered a core business there with Phil Spencer reporting that Xbox division financials are now part of the CFO's core spreadsheet that runs the investment priorities in the company Xbox is only going to grow. They also have a strong horse in the race for future technologies like VR and AR which is also another big bet they are assuming will pan out in the 5 -10 year timeframe. I trade MSFT and NTDOY and a couple of other tech stocks casually.

I think once again the market has no idea how to regard NTDOY right now. The charts for that company don't tell the whole story unfortunately. I had a nice run from $26 to $50 2017 into 2018. I think they are due for another decent year maybe not as crazy as from the introduction of the Switch but a strong 20%.
I seriously think people underestimate Azure too much. People with MIS degrees at my college that can also work with and integrate Azure into things. Are being scooped up faster then anyone else. And that is coming from a program that averages 2 job offers for ever MIS graduate.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I am really looking forward to Nintendo's results for Q3. I think they had a record-breaking quarter but stock could really go both ways lol.
Nintendo stock is so weird. The switch is a crazy success, they have had insane software sales - yet it seems like investors don't give a shit and the stock goes nowhere. I would buy NTDOY in a heartbeat if it was performing better but this past year hasn't been kind to it.
I imagine if they fall behind their 20m target the stock will take another beating.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo stock is so weird. The switch is a crazy success, they have had insane software sales - yet it seems like investors don't give a shit and the stock goes nowhere. I would buy NTDOY in a heartbeat if it was performing better but this past year hasn't been kind to it.
I imagine if they fall behind their 20m target the stock will take another beating.
I think investors saw softer sales in Q1/Q2 and thought the Switch lost its momentum and would not become another Wii. Several articles pointed out that the sales were not as good as expected. The fact that the line-up was stacked at the end of the year was not fully took into account. It looked like a huge bet and risk impacts the stock.

2019/2020 will be amazing years for Nintendo, I am sure of it. Big 1st-party IPs, strong pool of evergreens, softer competition than at launch, increasing number of big games from 3rd parties, growing digital share (more profitable), promotion of their IPs via big Holliwood movies (Detective Pikachu, Mario...), theme parks and the Olympic Games in Tokyo in 2020 with Mario as a mascot.

I am looking forward for everything to unfold.