• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I have some shares of them as well. I don't know what to do, really. I got them in the mid-70s and I have faith it will bounce back, but I'm not sure whether that will take a month, three, or even more.

I have to say that I've been pretty clueless in general in the last couple of weeks. I'm just holding onto my current stock, because I don't know what's the right/best thing to do.

I'm holding everything atm especially NVIDIA and ACTI.

ACTI is sinking most likely due to the Diablo Immortal fan feedback and hanging on the next COD numbers.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Oof. ATVI taking a beating. I got in under 70 thinking I was getting a pretty good deal, boy was I wrong. What are you guys' thoughts on holding until earnings?
I have some shares of them as well. I don't know what to do, really. I got them in the mid-70s and I have faith it will bounce back, but I'm not sure whether that will take a month, three, or even more.

I have to say that I've been pretty clueless in general in the last couple of weeks. I'm just holding onto my current stock, because I don't know what's the right/best thing to do.
ATVI should be fine. Today I sold some at the money puts expiring this Friday. It would have to go down another 4% before that position loses money. Option premiums are always higher around earnings for obvious reasons.

I don't think Nov and Dec are great for VG stocks in general, because they tend to go up on hype and right now it's a long way to new releases and new catalysts to move the stock.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece

Out of curiosity, how old are you and for how long you participate in the market?

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Out of curiosity, how old are you and for how long you participate in the market?
I've started stock trading two years ago when I turned 18 with a portion of the money my parents saved for me and money I earned with side jobs. I'm 20 now. I'm attending university, but I still live with my parents.

I've read quite a lot of online articles and such, but experience is missing on certain moments. I don't try to pretend to be an expert. :P

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
First of all, for your age and your almost next to nothing experience you have almost the right mentality but not consider stock market a game nor a hobby, it is a ruthles place where you can lose everything in a matter of hours.

Your thoughts on why the last 3 years videogame stocks have seen astronomical returns?

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Starbreeze up by 11% so far today. Not convinced TWD will perform well but I do believe in their long-term efforts.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
First of all, for your age and your almost next to nothing experience you have almost the right mentality but not consider stock market a game nor a hobby, it is a ruthles place where you can lose everything in a matter of hours.

Your thoughts on why the last 3 years videogame stocks have seen astronomical returns?
I do not consider it a game. I put a lot of time into following news (both general and business). While I made a loss in my first year, I got above 0% at the beginning of the year and I'm well above break-even now. My unrealised result/proft since I started trading was at its highest point on 1 October 2018 close at +40.67%. Of course the crash of the last month didn't help and I'm a lot lower low - I lost little more than half of my unrealised profits. I plan to quit when the profit gets too close to 0%.

The big rises of video game stock in the last three years are mostly because of microtransactions and the abilitiy to let players spend money regardless of their play time. Someone who buys FIFA every year used to pay only 60 bucks for the disc and was covered for a full year of gaming. With the addition of Ultimate Team and its card packs, that same player is able to buy whatever how many packs he would like to buy. With the help of analytics, companies can improve their techniques: how do we present these packs/boxes, what is the golden price point, what do we need to do in order to get someone to buy their very first pack/box, etc. The big rise in the last three years is mostly thanks to the utilisation of these techniques, growth of scale, and lower risks of losing a successful product (once it's successful). It's of course also nice for shareholders that video game companies aren't reliant on launch date revenues anymore: the game continues to make money well after its release. And with annual games like Call of Duty and FIFA, that means every quarterly and yearly performance has become much more predictable.

--

Edit: however, I feel we're hitting a limit, and it looks like the mobile bigwigs in Japan are experiencing that problem now. The western guys may face the same problems in the near future.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
AMD looking might impressive right now.

Don't be shocked if they are the power behind the cloud consoles of next gen...

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia... Ouch :(

Luckily I had sold most of my stocks but I still lost half a Xbox One X at the after market dip. Lost a lot on other stocks as well. The tech segment is not a good place to be right now it seems. Stepping out of the whole segment for now, will just keep a few stocks here and there to easier keep track of the movements with the app I'm using,

Not sure what to do about Microsoft though, they're in several segments, I still have a good feeling but if a bear trend hits Nvidia, Apple, AMD etc I'm thinking MS might get caught and plummet down as well.

How are you all thinking?

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I look forward to the incredibly informed thread that will be created about this. I'm sure no one will jump to conclusions.
We manage to get 1-2 of this incredible informed opinions in the ye old 7% down thread before a mod locked, I woukd make a thread my self but the last time I did, earned a free month vancations o3o

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
We manage to get 1-2 of this incredible informed opinions in the ye old 7% down thread before a mod locked, I woukd make a thread my self but the last time I did, earned a free month vancations o3o
Don't want that, lol. Maybe this time we won't have a thread made and there won't be any molten hot takes.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Market chatter is worry over Nvidia outlook cut and Daiwa lowering price target on shares. This pushed it below key support level at around 34k (intraday low this year). Momentum traders then piled in and sent it even lower

The stock market is nuts. A company's stock goes down because other companies are doing bad, then it goes down more because it went past a certain point.

Jun 1, 2018
NVDA is way too overvalued.
Also I lost so much money with activision stock ... should I hold or sell?Do you guys think it will go up because of holiday sales?

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
For absolutely no reason

Stock market crash is a pretty big reason. Literally every tech company is overevaluated. Of course Nintendo is taking a hit just like everyone else.

welcome to legal blind gambling, where you gamble the other hundred thousands investors are not imbeciles

Again, that's not how crashes/market corrections work. Analysts and profesional brokers have been riding a wave too large.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Stock market crash is a pretty big reason. Literally every tech company is overevaluated. Of course Nintendo is taking a hit just like everyone else.

Again, that's not how crashes/market corrections work. Analysts and profesional brokers have been riding a wave too large.
you understand why Nintendo took a -9% deep, right? if anything been proved many times. is that at least centered in Video games, most investors dont know jack shit about the market they are putting their money on. in this case is a reactionary jumping from Nvidia to Nintendo. without any clear correlation why Nvidia cases affects Nintendo, just people the conclusion that A is working with B and cause A did bad then B is likely doing bad too.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
you understand why Nintendo took a -9% deep, right? if anything been proved many times. is that at least centered in Video games, most investors dont know jack shit about the market they are putting their money on. in this case is a reactionary jumping from Nvidia to Nintendo. without any clear correlation why Nvidia cases affects Nintendo, just people the conclusion that A is working with B and cause A did bad then B is likely doing bad too.

That's not true. That's a very cynical and ignorant approach. Many people handle investment for a living. The entire tech market is very insecure, unstable, and scary right now. Overreactions are to be expected at the moment. Investors are scared of stocks crashing, and thus, in and of itself, create crashes. Simply put: people are scared of staying in, because they are afraid that others won't.

Investors aren't "imbeciles". They're cautious.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
That's not true. That's a very cynical and ignorant approach. Many people handle investment for a living. The entire tech market is very insecure, unstable, and scary right now. Overreactions are to be expected at the moment. Investors are scared of stocks crashing, and thus, in and of itself, create crashes. Simply put: people are scared of staying in, because they are afraid that others won't.

I've followed NTDOY for years. Investors frequently react to non news and it takes massive swings over nothing. Normally I'd agree with your statement, but absolutely not when it comes to Nintendo.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

im my book, being scared that others would be scared which then causes said scare and scare others is an stupid snowball effect. we saw it during Pokemon LG reveal / E3

>Stocks skyrocket on Pokemon LG reveal > Stocks go down (stabilize) > Some guy makes a bet against Nintendo > People think they are dipping > People start to sell > Stabilize + sell = Actual Dip > Happens around E3 so people Blame E3 > Even more people sell cause #REASONS > congratulation Nintendo Stocks Sank 7% with people ranging from not knowing why to blaming E3 or just "cause other were selling too"

just to clarify, when I said the market and investors are mostly imbeciles, I keep that withing VG sector only (not the overall stock market)

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
im my book, being scared that others would be scared which then causes said scare and scare others is an stupid snowball effect

Well, that's actually how our entire economy works, and every marketplace across the entire planet. A stock does not represent the actual value of a company, but how much people think it is worth. It's like a game of poker. This is not something unique to the video game industry or to Nintendo in particular. In many ways, the "market" works the same way as religion. Both God and the "market" are invincible. If you believe in them, they exist. If you stop believing in God, you won't see him anymore. If you stop believing in the market, well, then you've got yourself a market crash.

If may sound stupid, but this is how our whole world has been built. It's fragile as hell, with a lot of power put in an extremely small amount of people who controls most of the money.

Nintendo has been hit by the very weak market, just like every other company. Many other gaming companies are performing very well but still going down. None of this is unique to Nintendo. It's a buyer's market at the moment, I'm afraid.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Do you guys think nvidia could go lower? or is it a good time to buy? it was really high
I thought it couldn't go lower back when it was 40% higher than it is now. Yesterday some group released fake news, probably to make some massive short money, but even after it became clear it was fake news it didn't recover.

I wouldn't buy it anytime soon. Even if the company is fine, crypto crashing will keep depressing this stock, and I'm extremely bearish on crypto, so I'm fucked. I'm going to have to hold on to this stock for a decade at this rate before I win something back.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Sentiment has been very bad and I don't expect it to change anytime soon tbh. China, Brexit, Fed interest increases, and who knows what else. Meanwhile there aren't many positive things to name. The crypto bubble is over now, and their new GPUs aren't selling that amazingly, so Nvidia's earnings will probably be down for the coming quarters YoY. I've taken my losses and I don't plan on buying back soon.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
I didnt know there is a thread for this.

I have some Nintendo (2008) and Paradox (from beginning) shares.

Id like to expand a little bit now cause i sold some Paradox shares. Also still invested in it but its rising was too good.

I was observing THQ Nordic since early 2018 but in the end missed the opportunity. Will probably check their earnings and portfolio a bit deeper. Good times for partizipating.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm holding everything out for the time being.
I would pass on EA. ATVI are better positioned and better managed, and EA is too reliant on FIFA FUT profits aka MTX from lootboxes, which exposes them to potential regulation risk, also BFV seems to have bombed. TTWO would be looking good here if not for investor concern about how well RDR2 will monetize the online compared to GTAV.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I would pass on EA. ATVI are better positioned and better managed, and EA is too reliant on FIFA FUT profits aka MTX from lootboxes, which exposes them to potential regulation risk, also BFV seems to have bombed. TTWO would be looking good here if not for investor concern about how well RDR2 will monetize the online compared to GTAV.

I'm hoping for Anthem to turn them around.. despite everything lol...

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Hello guys !

I want to buy some Nintendo shares and I am using my bank as my broker. It is an European bank so I was wondering if selecting Francfort was the right thing to do ?

The price of the share seems 10 times lower than Nikkei's one.

Sorry if my question is dumb, I am still quite unexperienced.

berlin_420

Jun 6, 2018
well if it´s that easy, go for frankfurt and sell in nikkei for a ten times profit minus fees, right? ;)
Nothing wrong with selecting frankfurt.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Hello guys !

I want to buy some Nintendo shares and I am using my bank as my broker. It is an European bank so I was wondering if selecting Francfort was the right thing to do ?

It is not a "proper" share but possibly an ADR, Nintendo shares are WKN: 864009. Always remember though: buy on bad news, sell on good news. Nintendo pays good dividends but to put things into perspective: I bought most of my shares at around 80 EUR not too long ago. Price is bound to go down even further with a stock market downslide looming. I don't buy stock atm for that reason. But I have been wrong before, so...

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Hello guys !

American shares of Nintendo, known as an ADR (symbol NTDOY), are one-eighth of a Japanese share (symbol TYO: 7974).

However, the Frankfurt share (EDIT - and the Stuttgart share mentioned above) is equal to a Japanese share (240 Euros converts to 30,708 yen - TYO: 7974 is 30,990 yen).

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
well if it´s that easy, go for frankfurt and sell in nikkei for a ten times profit minus fees, right? ;)
Nothing wrong with selecting frankfurt.

Lol :p
It is not a "proper" share but possibly an ADR, Nintendo shares are WKN: 864009. Always remember though: buy on bad news, sell on good news. Nintendo pays good dividends but to put things into perspective: I bought most of my shares at around 80 EUR not too long ago. Price is bound to go down even further with a stock market downslide looming. I don't buy stock atm for that reason. But I have been wrong before, so...

The share is at about its lowest point of the year and with the start of positive PR from Nintendo I think it might go up.

I am expecting them to smash their profit and software expectations so even missing the HW target won't be bad. 2019 should be an exceptional year for them on the mobile (MKT), multimedia (Detective Pikachu) and Swicth front so I want to buy before.

Thanks ;)

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Lelouch0612 Please keep your nerves under control if they go down. The last two months haven't been nice, and we don't know when the market will become more positive. I think in general, Nintendo is a good buy, so keep your nerves under control and don't sell them at a loss. Don't think short term, but long term.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Lelouch0612 Please keep your nerves under control if they go down. The last two months haven't been nice, and we don't know when the market will become more positive. I think in general, Nintendo is a good buy, so keep your nerves under control and don't sell them at a loss. Don't think short term, but long term.

That's exactly what I am aiming for.

I see 2019/2020 (with the Olympics) as two very strong years for Nintendo. I am pretty confident that their share will eventually rise significantly during those 2 years, even if it goes down during the few next months.

PIRL0

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, i will be entering the gaming stock market soon, according to my research that take two interactive is the hottest gaming stock to invest in. I also researched about Microsoft and they seem like a safe bet.. do you guys recommend investing in 2k only or should i invest in both companies ? i am not looking for dividends i am just waiting to sell the stock at a higher price, any help would be appreciated.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, i will be entering the gaming stock market soon, according to my research that take two interactive is the hottest gaming stock to invest in. I also researched about Microsoft and they seem like a safe bet.. do you guys recommend investing in 2k only or should i invest in both companies ? i am not looking for dividends i am just waiting to sell the stock at a higher price, any help would be appreciated.

It's quite scary to invest right now as everything is still going down. For all we know this trend could continue for several years, meaning you would lose money for several years before becoming profitable. Still, at some point these stocks will reach their bottom and start climbing again, and knowing when exactly to get in is tough.

Take-Two is a solid company, Microsoft not so much. I don't believe the latter has much of a future. Someone else, not Apple and not Microsoft, will take over the OS space in due time.

Regardless, be prepared to see red numbers if you invest today. Those red numbers could turn into black in a few weeks, but it could also take years, or they may never become black again; it's hard to say.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's impossible to tell what's going to happen right now, there is so much stuff going on in the world. It's a gamble. I dropped out of most stocks at the dip last year, managed to just end at -$100 for the year, could've been much much worse. Then I jumped in again and got plain lucky, that's basically how I see at it. MS is currently up about 6% for the year which is a nice start, AMD is up 12%, Nvidia up 17%. But again, it's a gamble. If you have some cash you don't need right now then maybe do some smaller investments. And look at the earnings reports which are coming up the next couple of weeks, Jan 30 for Microsoft.
https://www.nasdaq.com/earnings/report/msft
https://www.earningswhispers.com/stocks/msft

firstadopter

Oct 25, 2017
I wrote a couple gaming related commentary columns the past two weeks that may be interest.

A week ago, suggested Apple acquire or enter in a strategic partnership with Nintendo with a big equity stake. Also highlighted Nintendo's strong fundamentals with its strong console and software sales. Nintendo stock rose 12% this week.

This week I wrote about how Wall Street's 2019 earnings estimates for both Electronic Arts and Activision Blizzard are too high given their lackluster game sales / title pipelines. The earnings disappointments will be bad news for both companies' stock prices, I argue.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
It's impossible to tell what's going to happen right now, there is so much stuff going on in the world. It's a gamble. I dropped out of most stocks at the dip last year, managed to just end at -$100 for the year, could've been much much worse. Then I jumped in again and got plain lucky, that's basically how I see at it. MS is currently up about 6% for the year which is a nice start, AMD is up 12%, Nvidia up 17%. But again, it's a gamble. If you have some cash you don't need right now then maybe do some smaller investments. And look at the earnings reports which are coming up the next couple of weeks, Jan 30 for Microsoft.
https://www.nasdaq.com/earnings/report/msft
https://www.earningswhispers.com/stocks/msft

Activision is down a notch it's good to buy if you interested in holding some of those...