• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Only hard part is what to buy. I'm seeing a whole bunch of stocks for $3-10 a stock.

The price of the stock itself is irrelevant. Company A may have a thousand stocks at $100 each, while Company B may have a million stocks at $10 each, so don't look at the price of the stock when determining what to buy. I'd recommend learning a bit more about trading with stocks before buying, to learn what strategies to adopt and how to analyze companies.

We can give you recommendations, but what to buy depends on many factors, like what risk/reward you're after, if you're looking to invest for short-, mid-, or long-term, etc., but many of the stocks mentioned in this thread, like Take-Two and Ubisoft, are solid.

Oct 27, 2017
The price of the stock itself is irrelevant. Company A may have a thousand stocks at $100 each, while Company B may have a million stocks at $10 each, so don't look at the price of the stock when determining what to buy. I'd recommend learning a bit more about trading with stocks before buying, to learn what strategies to adopt and how to analyze companies.

We can give you recommendations, but what to buy depends on many factors, like what risk/reward you're after, if you're looking to invest for short-, mid-, or long-term, etc., but many of the stocks mentioned in this thread, like Take-Two and Ubisoft, are solid.

Well I would be looking at something short to midterm. I understand there's going to be a little bit of risk involved, but hopefully I go with stocks that are worth it. TT looks solid enough from what I can see.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Well I would be looking at something short to midterm. I understand there's going to be a little bit of risk involved, but hopefully I go with stocks that are worth it. TT looks solid enough from what I can see.

When I started on the stock market I bought Actvi Blizzard & Ubisoft, which were both companies who have a good track record and always have big hits every year.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Welp, the end result for me yesterday was -4.8%. My personal realised+unrealised profit for 2018 is now half of its peak (1 October close).

Such a shame I don't have much room to buy more stocks, as I bought the previous dip..... :/

I think Take-Two doesn't have enough annual products to deliver predictable results. All eyes are on Red Dead. Of course they have GTAO, NBA and WWE, so it's not like they completely depend on that one title. It's not a super huge risk or whatever, but you may want to test the waters in stock trading with more stable stocks first, as TheRaidenPT pointed out. Companies like EA, Activision and Ubisoft release multiple high-profile products each year, which means one underperformer has less effect on the overall state of the company's financials for the year.

There's nothing wrong with investing in Take-Two, but know the risks. I wouldn't want that stock to be the biggest part of my portfolio.

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, the end result for me yesterday was -4.8%. My personal realised+unrealised profit for 2018 is now half of its peak (1 October close).

Such a shame I don't have much room to buy more stocks, as I bought the previous dip..... :/

I think Take-Two doesn't have enough annual products to deliver predictable results. All eyes are on Red Dead. Of course they have GTAO, NBA and WWE, so it's not like they completely depend on that one title. It's not a super huge risk or whatever, but you may want to test the waters in stock trading with more stable stocks first, as TheRaidenPT pointed out. Companies like EA, Activision and Ubisoft release multiple high-profile products each year, which means one underperformer has less effect on the overall state of the company's financials for the year.

There's nothing wrong with investing in Take-Two, but know the risks. I wouldn't want that stock to be the biggest part of my portfolio.

Wouldn't EA be a risky stock though depending on the results of BFV which should be their holiday hit? I'd imagine if they underperform the stock will undoubtedly drop.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Man, that stock value dip has been rough. I dare not look into my account at this time. :D

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Wouldn't EA be a risky stock though depending on the results of BFV which should be their holiday hit? I'd imagine if they underperform the stock will undoubtedly drop.

I'm curious to know why we went up to about 150 in value during the summer. Things have been quite stable, but value went to insane numbers at around E3.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

I'm not confident in EA, yeah. Not only because of Battlefield, but also because I think revenues from in-game purchases in their console sports games will start to stagnate within 1-3 years.

As for the long-term:
I get the general feeling that EA, Activision and Take-Two will hit a wall in a reasonable amount of time with their "recurring revenue streams" on console. There's only so much people will pay for a pack of FUT cards. Market expansion can happen both geographically, and through new platforms (and these usually go hand in hand). But the traditional big guys on console haven't been able to find themselves in similar spots on mobile. This is not a short-term problem, but I really hope they're heavily investing in it, because there's a complete generation of kids growing up on PC+mobile (I think many thanks to paid online on console, but that's just my opinion) and those people will stay there, even when they grow up. And in South East Asia and South America, mobile penetration is much higher than console ever was or will be. EA has been focused on bringing FIFA and such to mobile for quite a while, and I actually see them pull it off. But I'm less confident in Activision successfully bringing games with the scale of Warcraft or Call of Duty to mobile, or Take-Two capitalising on GTA(O) on mobile, which may make them lose significant market share in the next 5-10 years. That's a long-term problem that can still be avoided, but I hope we'll start hearing more about their plans in a reasonable amount of time.

Man, that stock value dip has been rough. I dare not look into my account at this time. :D
Same ;_;

Of course we shouldn't forget that we don't (necessarily) earn or lose money until we sell the stock.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm also not confident on EA... As it stands right now I'm holding out until Anthem, I might be getting some stocks with the BFV downfall if it does happen.

Anthem really got me pumped for those numbers... Today I'm taking at look at Micro and AMD..It's important for me to have those 2 because I have good feeling about their roadmaps I also got a few more Intel stocks this week due to the recent 10nm news.

Just ordered some additional Take-Two stocks.. Waiting for 14:30GMT+0.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oof AMD. I mostly cashed in a few weeks back when the dips started, so I missed most of the damage, but that's still quite a drop.

VaeVictis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Funny because they beat expectations slightly. It just tells me that we are in general correction state

Current stock price is not only about beating expectations, but rather about signaling a weaker earning report for Q4. They project only 8 % YoY growth. And in the current overheated US tech market 8% just doesn't cut it. Sadly.
They were hit hard in the downturn in cryptomining. Exected drop was 50 mio $, actual was 150 mio $. Still, Ryzen is a winner, and I hope it finds a market. Hopefully they'll have a similar offering in their GPU lineup to rival NVIDIA soon.

Fake EDIT : Glad we're in agreement, Trickster :)

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amd was a complete overhype and i kinda regret not selling when i could (was up like 100%) still i feel confident about this company long term so I will keep holding.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Amd was a complete overhype and i kinda regret not selling when i could (was up like 100%) still i feel confident about this company long term so I will keep holding.

Yeah pretty much. I'm still up a lot, but regret not taking some off the table....same for nvidia which has seemed crazy for a while.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Thread title should be updated to losing money with games :X

American tech is an absolute bloodbath. And subsequently, so is my portfolio.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Focus Home H1: 44.3M € (up 33%)

Biggest news are Vampyr coming to Switch and Insurgency Sandstorm's preorders being the best Focus ever had on PC (out Dec. 12). Also some changes in the top management and a new roadmap for the company's long terms plan to be revealed on Nov. 27th.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm not in a great mood when it comes to stocks right now, but I'll find some time to clean the 2nd OP tomorrow and make a nice summary of the results of the last couple of days.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to buy some Nintendo stock (not really bothered about making cash).

I'm from the UK. Could someone walk me through how to do it?

Much appreciated.

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to buy some Nintendo stock (not really bothered about making cash).

I'm from the UK. Could someone walk me through how to do it?

Much appreciated.

Register in Degiro or HL( HL charges like £12 for transactions, so I would suggest to use the other).
Then simple find the stock and in market open hours select buy at market price

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
they been trending down for hte past 1-2 weeks for no apparent unless I missed something. but that is "good" the lower they are the more ill cash in when Q3 Earnings happens in Jan

Stock market crash

Jesus how are so many people coming into this thread without even knowing that the entire global tech stock market has crashed, lol

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Only nintendo? or in general for any company ?
I'm doubting they'll meet their 20M hardware target. Of course the coming quarter (Oct-Dec) is their biggest, but the sentiment around the company was already negative before the crash happened. I don't really see much room for super-awesome higher-than-expected numbers to be honest. Or they somehow must trigger some immense hype through a Smash Direct announcement or a Mario Kart Tour stealth release or whatever, and somehow overturn the negative influence the actual numbers (and perhaps revised forecast) had.

Oct 27, 2017
Alright boys, what do we think about Sony and Nintendo afte record profits this quarter of the FY19? I'm thinking of buying into Sony.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Nintendo H1
Revenue: ¥388.905B (up 4.0% YoY)
Operating income: ¥61.405B (up 53.7% YoY)
Net profit: ¥64.576B (up 25.4% YoY)

There are no changes to the financial forecast for this fiscal year originally published on April 26, 2018.

Link to full report
Link to thread

Sony Q2
Consolidated sales and operating revenue ("sales") for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2019 are expected to be higher than the July forecast mainly due to higher-than-expected sales primarily in the Game & Network Services ("G&NS") segment and the Music segment, partially offset by lower-than-expected sales in the Mobile Communications ("MC") segment.

Link to full report

Dontnod H1 (January-June)
Revenue: €4683k (up 5.4% YoY)
EBITDA: -€159k (loss) (down from €1617k profit in H1 2017)
Operating profit: -€606k (loss) (down from €1345k profit in H1 2017)
Net income: -€1033k (loss) (down from €1101k profit in H1 2017)

Link to press release in French (Google Translate to English)

The management is happy with the IPO's results and is optimistic about the future. The H1 result is largely ignored, but they state that the numbers are within expectations.

Ubisoft H1
Sales: €767.0M (up 64.5% YoY)
Net bookings: €746.1M (up 60.0%)
Operating income: €94.3M (up 2942% YoY from €3.1M)

Sales in Q2 of €367.1M; slightly above company expectations of €345M-€355M.
Digital net bookings in H1 of €519.2M (up 51.5% YoY - share of 69.6% of total net bookings)
Back-catalog net bookings in H1 of €564.9M (up 48.8% YoY - share of 75.7% of total net bookings)

Link to press release (presentation)

Electronic Arts Q2
Revenue: $1286M (up 34.1% YoY)
Gross profit: $868M (up 52.3% YoY)
Operating income: $258M (up from a $41M loss in Q2 last year)

Of all revenue, $780M (60.7%) came from digital goods (up 13.2% YoY), compared to $689M in Q2 2017, which accounted for 71.8% of all revenue in the quarter.

Link to press release (presentation)

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with Nintendo is even if they don't reach their HW target, they are going to explode their software one, meaning that they are still confortably on track to reach/beat their profit targets.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
The thing with Nintendo is even if they don't reach their HW target, they are going to explode their software one, meaning that they are still confortably on track to reach/beat their profit targets.
market for most of the quick investors is what news they see and in this regard Nintendo still a gamble cause some news outlets either consciously or by mistake are bias. ive seen some sites report that nintendo "Didnt do go" cause they didnt meet "analysts" expectation, or how "Sony is playing smarter" and goes and compare the revenue of PS4 4+ years into its life spam vs Switch with less than 2 years

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Scooped up some Nintendo this week. Looking forward to my return in a few years when Nintendo has movies in theaters, people in theme parks, and the Switch reaches the maturity stage of its lifecycle.

I think 2020 is going to be a big year for the stock (about when I expect this all to come together).

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Konami H1
WpN7cFO.png

Link to full report

Their stock went up 8.47% today as a result.

---

The result after Dontnod's first earnings were less favorable...

Yesterday at close:
GD3ZeiB.png

Today at intraday:
yaXhtTF.png

Current result since earnings release: -€6.06 -21.45%

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Question to Stock Era about DEGIRO: What are the risks of having securities on the lending pool? Currently considering whether to open a custody or basic account.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Question to Stock Era about DEGIRO: What are the risks of having securities on the lending pool? Currently considering whether to open a custody or basic account.
Basic is good enough for a beginner. I've never upgraded personally :P

The most important thing is to know what you're actually investing in. Until you feel you know what more complicated products do and actually feel the desire to invest in them, I'd say stick with basic.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm not quite sure wha to do with my Take-Two stock for the time being.. Any idea? hold until earnings on the 7th?
I've never been a fan of TTWO. Earnings are too concentrated, and visibility into future products is always too low. What are their big upcoming releases in the next year or two? A great time to buy and hold is typically the year (or longer after the typical delays) leading up to a big release like GTA or RDR. When RDR2 was announced in Oct 2016 the stock was $45, now $128. What's next in the pipeline though? If you do want to hold it through earnings, you can earn a bit more on the side by selling out of the money calls. For example you could sell the calls expiring Nov 9th at strike $140 for about $2, or $136 for about $3, or $129 for about $6. Unless the stock rises significantly by a week from Friday, that's free money. And if it drops or stays flat, you'll keep 100% of that option premium.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I've never been a fan of TTWO. Earnings are too concentrated, and visibility into future products is always too low. What are their big upcoming releases in the next year or two? A great time to buy and hold is typically the year (or longer after the typical delays) leading up to a big release like GTA or RDR. When RDR2 was announced in Oct 2016 the stock was $45, now $128. What's next in the pipeline though? If you do want to hold it through earnings, you can earn a bit more on the side by selling out of the money calls. For example you could sell the calls expiring Nov 9th at strike $140 for about $2, or $136 for about $3, or $129 for about $6. Unless the stock rises significantly by a week from Friday, that's free money. And if it drops or stays flat, you'll keep 100% of that option premium.

Sounds about right, that's what I'm doing with Anthem buying them low and sell em high when the game comes out

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I have been using the Basic account for a week and so far so good, depending on how things are later in November I might upgrade the account.
Basic is good enough for a beginner. I've never upgraded personally :P

The most important thing is to know what you're actually investing in. Until you feel you know what more complicated products do and actually feel the desire to invest in them, I'd say stick with basic.

Thank you both. Bear in mind it's impossible to change from a Custody Account to a Basic Account or vice-versa. The main difference is Degiro don't include the securities from custody accounts to the Lending Pool. According to this post the risk is quite small though.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Oof. ATVI taking a beating. I got in under 70 thinking I was getting a pretty good deal, boy was I wrong. What are you guys' thoughts on holding until earnings?

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oof. ATVI taking a beating. I got in under 70 thinking I was getting a pretty good deal, boy was I wrong. What are you guys' thoughts on holding until earnings?
I have some shares of them as well. I don't know what to do, really. I got them in the mid-70s and I have faith it will bounce back, but I'm not sure whether that will take a month, three, or even more.

I have to say that I've been pretty clueless in general in the last couple of weeks. I'm just holding onto my current stock, because I don't know what's the right/best thing to do.