• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is for gaming stocks, which is why we talk gaming stocks in here lol. Doesn't mean that's our main investment, but for many it might be, yeah. Remember to always have a diversified portfolio if you're serious about investment though.

Remember you haven't lost or earned anything until you've actually sold your stocks.

I did a wide search for a stocks ot, so didn't notice it was under gaming until after I posted.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
80% of my stocks are gaming and tech related and it's been a crazy ride. Nvidia, amd, apple, amazon, etc. They've all gone up like crazy. Especially nvidia. At one time on the other forum I posted about an idea to invest in nvidia and buy new cards from the earnings. Got cold responses. But that's exactly what I did, and I've so far upgraded from 780ti to 980ti to 1080ti only from the nvidia earnings.
I definitely start to get nervous now though, it feels like it's more likely that we'll hit a huge dip in the coming 3 years than that these stocks keeps growing like they have the previous 3 years. But I don't know what else to invest in to be honest... And I don't want to miss out if they keeps on going up! :s
(Today is another sour day though...)
i mean tech isnt all the same. google and apple are completely different. amazon and facebook are completely different yet they are cramped into the same category

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't you make the argument that the perception of the industry would affect them all?

No, because like he implied there's no "single" industry called tech. E-commerce, consultancy firms, game developers, and social media organizations, to name a small amount of examples, are all so fundamentally different that they cannot possible be grouped together.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Outside of some bad bets I took on a few Chinese gaming companies. All my gaming related stocks have been doing fantastic recently. Been very happy with how AMD has been doing. And even though Sony is way more then it's gaming division. It's also been rising nicely.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
i mean tech isnt all the same. google and apple are completely different. amazon and facebook are completely different yet they are cramped into the same category
I didn't mention google or facebook, "gaming and tech related" might still be a vague way to describe nvidia,amd,apple and amazon of course but I wouldn't say that they're isolated from each other, they're all working with entertainment electronics and media services and the point was that their stocks have gone up like rockets the last couple of years and I'm just thinking - How long can this continue?

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mention google or facebook, "gaming and tech related" might still be a vague way to describe nvidia,amd,apple and amazon of course but I wouldn't say that they're isolated from each other, they're all working with entertainment electronics and media services and the point was that their stocks have gone up like rockets the last couple of years and I'm just thinking - How long can this continue?
well there was already a correction this week.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

Which I definitely felt... :s But that was just a tiny bump if you look at it on a longer perspective. I'm worrying/waiting for a dip similar to Bitcoin where we'll just go "no no noooo!" and starts to sell like crazy :P

Have you taken any courses or the like in stock investment? Or do you read basic analyses of the stock market?

Just curious so that I know how to approach these posts.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which I definitely felt... :s But that was just a tiny bump if you look at it on a longer perspective. I'm worrying/waiting for a dip similar to Bitcoin where we'll just go "no no noooo!" and starts to sell like crazy :P
well we are hoping its a tiny bump... if next week is like this week again then it might be considered a bigger correction. i dont think so though. as long as the general economy is good "tech" is going to do fine.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This week was not a great one. Lost 6.5% of my invested value. Especially European stocks went down a lot. Thankfully, I had sold a considerable amount of my portfolio the week before.

Sometimes life's good, sometimes life's bad.

Have you taken any courses or the like in stock investment? Or do you read basic analyses of the stock market?

I know the question isn't directed a was stilat me, but I still like to answer it:

I was still in middle school when I started trading (17 y/o). Learned a couple couple of things from free learning sources online, but but most of my knowledge came from watching/reading experts and plain experience (which isn't that much to be very honest). I simply used a chunk of my savings and started investing. First year didn't go well. Quite a loss. Second year was transitional, mostly because I decided to fully focus on industries which I followed for hobbies anyway, which means tech and gaming. And now I'm in Year 3 (20 y/o) and things are going well, although I have to say that I certainly had market conditions conditions on my side with gaming in 2017 and 2018 so far.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

No nothing worth mentioning, I've been doing this for 20 years and at first I just read economics newspapers but today I mostly listen to podcasts and read the odd "expert" analyses I happen to stumble upon like I'm guessing most of us do. I know my way around an earnings report but I don't do any deeper analyses.

Bought my first stocks in 1995 iirc, Ericsson B, had them for a week and then sold them after almost getting stomach ulcer ;P At that time I traded with money I couldn't see myself losing, which was way too stressful, eventually I learned to use money I could lose and then I started taking it slower and eventually just let some stocks rest which has helped me a lot.

I'm definitely no expert in any way, just an old hobby trader. And I've done some reeeally dumb trades over the years, trying to catch a falling knife so to speak, bought more on the way down in hope for a better position when the spike upwards comes... which never came. :s

The last few years I've almost exclusively been trading stocks in gaming and electronics, which has been fantastic! I work with electronics so the interest is rooted there but in general I simply follow trends and listen to rumours and looks at graphs for previous years and try to figure out where things might go. Lots of guesswork.

My "tech" worry is not grounded in any analyses, I just feel that things have gone too well for too long, feels like a crash of some kind can't be too far off. No analysis though, just a hunch. And if I was seriously worried I would pull out, so don't think too much about it ;)

well we are hoping its a tiny bump... if next week is like this week again then it might be considered a bigger correction. i dont think so though. as long as the general economy is good "tech" is going to do fine.
Yeah we'll see what happens, some of my stocks ended at a plus today so I'm feeling better now even though I'm down almost $1000 just for the week :s

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017
Buying TTWO is no brainier imo. The shares are bound to go up with RDR 2 release.

Really kicking myself for not buying before GTA V release.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Buying TTWO is no brainier imo. The shares are bound to go up with RDR 2 release.

Really kicking myself for not buying before GTA V release.
The thing is that GTAV (and especially GTAO) is the new level of expectation tho. GTAV broke every expection by far. I think RDR2 doesn't have as wide appeal as GTAV, especially in the online part of the product.

Doesn't mean RDR2 will disappoint or whatever, but keep those higher expectations in mind.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is that GTAV (and especially GTAO) is the new level of expectation tho. GTAV broke every expection by far. I think RDR2 doesn't have as wide appeal as GTAV, especially in the online part of the product.

Doesn't mean RDR2 will disappoint or whatever, but keep those higher expectations in mind.

Yeah, saying T2 is a no brainer isn't true. While I do have stocks in the company, I'm prepared that RDR2 may not live up to the very high expectations and standards that have been set.

Oct 27, 2017
Been doing some intial research into it and I was thinking of investing into Sony since I'm hearing Sony's momentum with their stocks is trending upwards at least in the short term. Would it be wise to contact a broker, buy a few shares, and see what happens?

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Been doing some intial research into it and I was thinking of investing into Sony since I'm hearing Sony's momentum with their stocks is trending upwards at least in the short term. Would it be wise to contact a broker, buy a few shares, and see what happens?
If you are just dipping a pinky to try the waters, skip the broker, his fees alone will put you on the red from the start

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bought some ATVI yesterday based on the very positive reaction to the battle Royale beta.

Up 5% today so good call in the extreme short term so far. I'll be holding for a while though.

Battlefield V looking especially weak this year and not launching with many features including battle Royale also should help ATVI.

Yeah, saying T2 is a no brainer isn't true. While I do have stocks in the company, I'm prepared that RDR2 may not live up to the very high expectations and standards that have been set.

I bought TTWO before GtAV came out since I thought it would blow records away. Then the game came out and it did blow records away. The date they first announced record breaking sales, he stock actually went down. I sold a few days later. Stock is up over 10 times from there almost solely due to GTA V.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Bought some ATVI yesterday based on the very positive reaction to the battle Royale beta.

Up 5% today so good call in the extreme short term so far. I'll be holding for a while though.

Battlefield V looking especially weak this year and not launching with many features including battle Royale also should help ATVI.

I bought TTWO before GtAV came out since I thought it would blow records away. Then the game came out and it did blow records away. The date they first announced record breaking sales, he stock actually went down. I sold a few days later. Stock is up over 10 times from there almost solely due to GTA V.
Came into this thread looking for this information on Activision. I'm assuming ERA is enjoying the beta? Do they agree that it will be a significant threat to fortnite? I realize it is not a free to play game initially, but I would be shocked if they didn't eventually make it FTP. Analysts seem excited about the battle royals mode: https://finance.yahoo.com/m/2071828.../activision-blizzard-stock.html?.tsrc=applewf

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Came into this thread looking for this information on Activision. I'm assuming ERA is enjoying the beta? Do they agree that it will be a significant threat to fortnite? I realize it is not a free to play game initially, but I would be shocked if they didn't eventually make it FTP. Analysts seem excited about the battle royals mode: https://finance.yahoo.com/m/2071828.../activision-blizzard-stock.html?.tsrc=applewf

I loved what I played yesterday and the reaction in the ERA thread seems to be almost universally positive, which is surprising for an ERA thread about COd.

It's quite different from fortnite and also not free to play, so I don't expect it to be a huge thread to fortnite. It seems to be going for the same audience as PUBG though (both are pay to play and modern military shooters with no building) and a huge advantage for COD is that PUBG is not on PS4.

I don't expect it to go free to play based on activision history with CoD. But who knows.

One big issue that may happen is if Red Dead Redemption 2 has a battle Royale mode. It will obviously be very different than COD, but since it is such a popular game, it will likely take some of the audience. Nothing has been announced yet, but Rockstar likes to keep things close to their chest.

Last edited:

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

Faulty comparison. The success of Project A does not confirm the success of unrelated Project B. Different year, different franchise, different marketing, different standards, different entry point. You cannot solely look at last data and assume the same will happen in future data. If stocks worked that way, everyone would be a millionaire.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Faulty comparison. The success of Project A does not confirm the success of unrelated Project B. Different year, different franchise, different marketing, different standards, different entry point. You cannot solely look at last data and assume the same will happen in future data. If stocks worked that way, everyone would be a millionaire.

Not sure which comparison you're saying is faulty?

Me comparing the success of TTWO stock with the success of GTA v?

Me believing that a positive reaction to the battle Royale beta will have a positive impact on atvi stock?

Or me saying that battlefield V being especially weak will help CoD which will also held ATVi?

I believe all are valid and true.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure which comparison you're saying is faulty?

Me comparing the success of TTWO stock with the success of GTA v?

Me believing that a positive reaction to the battle Royale beta will have a positive impact on atvi stock?

Or me saying that battlefield V being especially weak will help CoD which will also held ATVi?

I believe all are valid and true.

Obviously GTAV and RDR2 since that's what you wrote in response to my post

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Obviously GTAV and RDR2 since that's what you wrote in response to my post

My bad. I did a poor job explaining it.

I was agreeing with you. I was saying that similar to RDR2 having huge expectations, GtA V had huge expectations as well. It beat these expectations in the short term, and the stock price went down despite this.

The part about how long term the price went up solely due to GTA V was more of a rant on me wishing I never sold. But the stock price only up because GtA V continued constantly demolishing expectations.

I don't expect the same thing at all to happen with RDR2 and even if it does, the gains will be much less due to how high TTWO's market cap is now.

I expect analysts have sky high expectations for RDR2 and it's continuing sales based on how well GTA V did and this is already baked into the current price. If RDR2 fails to meet these lofty expectations, there may be a significant drop to TTWOs stock pricd.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Phew, here comes the turn around, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft are all moving up today. :)
Apple is showing their new phones tomorrow (12th), the stock can go both ways as a reaction as always. Hopefully they show something cool, I want to retire my iPhone 7.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stock news in Japan - Bandai Namco has acquired Rakuten's share in mobile game developer Drecom (~19%) announced earlier this afternoon, which I think makes Bandai Namco its biggest shareholder.
http://kabumatome.doorblog.jp/archives/65926807.html
https://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/3793.T/key-developments/article/3905007

Bamco are operating BXD with Drecom as a 51-49 venture and have launched iM@S Shiny Colors and a DBZ title in their new HTML5 service 'enza' with another baseball game to come along. What's also instructive is that Drecom's share price peaked at 2200yen early last year and last traded today at about 600yen.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...m-invest-USD2-1m-in-new-html5-games-developer
https://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/overview/3793.T

5.5 million shares were traded so that puts the transaction price at about $33million (I think).

Last edited:

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't think they were, they may have had a negative effect which was negated by EA's strong performance in general, but were Battlefront 2 a hit there would obviously have been an increase in share value instead. So yes and no.

In the short term they definitely were affected, but as you said, due to strong performance from other areas the shares fully recovered and then some.

So the battlefront 2 scandal was actually a good buying opportunity.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
In French: http://cerclefinance.com/default.asp?pub=valactu&localcode=&isin=&art=529848
(CercleFinance.com) - Vivendi has sold forward its remaining interest in Ubisoft (i.e. 7,590,909 shares, representing 6.7% of Ubisoft's capital) for a total of approximately 500 million euros, corresponding to a price of 66 euros per share.

This 6.7% stake will be transferred to two financial institutions by Vivendi: about 0.91% - as expected - as of 1 October 2018, and 5.74% deferred until 5 March 2019.

Vivendi has given an undertaking to Ubisoft to sell all the shares it owns by 7 March 2019, the settlement date. In addition, Vivendi maintains its March 2018 commitment to refrain from purchasing Ubisoft shares for a period of five years.

Ubisoft stock 1.5% down now to €94,12 on this news after 2 hours of trading. Which is still ~40% more than the price Vivendi sold its shares for.
I doubt it will drop much lower. The next earnings release (half-year) is on 30 October btw.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft is down -12.96% over the last week. That's quite significant! I'm considering going in to earn an easy 10% - 15% ROI over just a month or two. Vivendi selling their stocks have been highlighted in the news as a positive event and Odyssey seem to have been selling well, at least according to Steam stats (which is all we've got to go on). Yet Odyssey's actual sales are still uncertain, and Vivendi won't finish selling all of their stocks until March 2019, so the value could continue to decrease as they continue to sell off stocks.

Thoughts on the Ubi stock?

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Ubisoft is down -12.96% over the last week. That's quite significant! I'm considering going in to earn an easy 10% - 15% ROI over just a month or two. Vivendi selling their stocks have been highlighted in the news as a positive event and Odyssey seem to have been selling well, at least according to Steam stats (which is all we've got to go on). Yet Odyssey's actual sales are still uncertain, and Vivendi won't finish selling all of their stocks until March 2019, so the value could continue to decrease as they continue to sell off stocks.

Thoughts on the Ubi stock?
I'm in the same situation now, and I've been hesitating a lot. I have no idea what to do tbh. I'll await the earnings release on 30 October. Last week has been a heavy hit for the market in general, so hopefully Ubisoft will be able to profit from the general up-lift when things go better again in terms of the general market.

Currently, I think the market has hit a low point, and I'm considering some stock again, although that'll probably in other companies. I'm not selling anything now, but I may regret it later of course.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the same situation now, and I've been hesitating a lot. I have no idea what to do tbh. I'll await the earnings release on 30 October. Last week has been a heavy hit for the market in general, so hopefully Ubisoft will be able to profit from the general up-lift when things go better again in terms of the general market.

Currently, I think the market has hit a low point, and I'm considering some stock again, although that'll probably in other companies. I'm not selling anything now, but I may regret it later of course.

I ended up going back into Ubisoft today, couldn't resist.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Starbreeze, Take-Two, Activision Blizzard, Ubisoft — virtually everyone is tanking hard today so those interested in picking up some stocks on sale have a smörgåsbord of opportunity here

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
My stock account looks like a slaughter house :S Blood red figures all over the place. Luckily I had already sold off about 50% a few weeks ago, and I'm still about 18% for the year, but just looking at my figures show that I was nearly double that just a month ago. Brutal. :( Oh well at least I have some funds to reinvest after the selling earlier, it could be a good time to buy some more when things stabilize again. But I'll be taking baby steps at that direction for awhile now.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
My stock account looks like a slaughter house :S Blood red figures all over the place. Luckily I had already sold off about 50% a few weeks ago, and I'm still about 18% for the year, but just looking at my figures show that I was nearly double that just a month ago. Brutal. :( Oh well at least I have some funds to reinvest after the selling earlier, it could be a good time to buy some more when things stabilize again. But I'll be taking baby steps at that direction for awhile now.
Yeah, I lost 15% on my invested stocks in the last 7 days.... :(
Hopefully the earnings releases will change the situation, but those are still a couple of weeks away... I really don't know what to do. I was late with selling, so I decided not to sell any more stocks, with the thought that everything will come back sooner or later, thanks to the earnings releases. Hopefully I'm right, but my CD Projekt stock is almost down to the price I bought it for pre-E3....... :/

Of all the European stock I follow, only Ubisoft is in the plus, thanks to the Assassin's Creed Odyssey news yesterday. But it's still ~12% below last week level.
3eZIlJo.png

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

It's just temporary. USA and Asia crashed yesterday, and Europe followed suit yesterday afternoon/this morning. There are many concerns and issues right now, but I'd say many of them are overreactions. Gaming companies that produce digital products for entertainment purposes aren't really in any danger now, thus I'd say it's a buyer's market for gaming stocks, and quite a few other tech stocks as well.

This is how the stock market works: it's qiute volatile. Long-term you're fine, most of these big guys will climb back up. This is just an effect of Trump, Brexit, volatile currencies in poor countries, interest rates, and oil prices, along with the fact that many tech companies have security concerns and have been overevaluated. I don't think most of these concerns apply to a company like T-2 or Ubi.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I also think it's mostly an overreaction; the business of these companies is not in danger. But it's not fun to watch your stocks go down 15%, and the big problem wwith these things is that usually it takes a long time until stocks are back to pre-correction level.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I also think it's mostly an overreaction; the business of these companies is not in danger. But it's not fun to watch your stocks go down 15%, and the big problem wwith these things is that usually it takes a long time until stocks are back to pre-correction level.

Yeah, but some of my stocks have already recovered, and I think many gaming stocks will recover in just a month. But yeah, short-term investors who planned to sell within three months may still find themselves at a loss, but it doesn't really matter long term. You still have the same amount of stocks, after all.

Lost a lot of money this week. Eugh.

Reminder that you haven't actually lost anything until you've sold it at a loss.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but some of my stocks have already recovered, and I think many gaming stocks will recover in just a month. But yeah, short-term investors who planned to sell within three months may still find themselves at a loss, but it doesn't really matter long term. You still have the same amount of stocks, after all.

Reminder that you haven't actually lost anything until you've sold it at a loss.
you loose liquidity for a certain amount of time

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
True
True

---

I haven't sold anything since last week, and I don't plan to. I'm looking to buy cheap instead, but it's always tricky to determine when the time is right/when the price is lowest.