• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So CD Projekt RED has been running a teaser livestream on Twitch for a couple of hours now; a couple of big Italian and German video game news websites have scheduled a major reveal stream at 19:00 CEST (~4 hours from this post), which also heavily hint at Cyberpunk 2077; and CD Projekt's earnings release is tomorrow morning pre-market.

I wonder if we're getting a new trailer / gameplay reveal / maybe even a release quarter for the game today.

Or maybe we'll get nothing.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Bought some ATVI today. I think there's going to be some great long-term upside. I think I'm going to continue investing in the company going forward. It seems like a better investment compared to EA for me. More room for growth.

ponzies

Oct 28, 2017
Sony hit my target price of over $56 today so trimmed the position.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
CD Projekt H1
Net revenues: 168.434M zł (down 33.9% YoY)
Operating profit: 61.301M zł (down 57.2% YoY)
Profit before tax: 66.59M zł (down 54.5% YoY)
Net profit attributable to owners of parent: 52.43M zł (down 55.8% YoY)

Link to financial report (management report)
Presentation will be held and livestreamed at 10:30 CEST (~2.5 hours from this post)

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
CD Projekt H1
Net revenues: 168.434M zł
Operating profit: 61.301M zł
Profit before tax: 66.59M zł
Net profit attributable to owners of parent: 52.43M zł

Link to financial report (management report)
Presentation will be held and livestreamed at 10:30 CEST (~2.5 hours from this post)
Looks like I got something to watch when I wake up in a few hours! Thanks for posting this DarkDetective!

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bought some nintendo!

Nintendo is coming back recently. Upped my position as it dropped in the past couple months by about 500 shares. Now around 1000 total. First bought in a decade or more ago when it was like 11 bucks. If it climbs into the 50s again I'll probably sell half and have a pretty hefty profit.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Added comparison to H1 2017 numbers.
Looks like I got something to watch when I wake up in a few hours! Thanks for posting this DarkDetective!
No problem! I think the briefing can be followed live on CD Projekt's Twitch channel. I'll post a link once it's ready.

For now, CD Projekt has posted a 3-minute video on YouTube with the financial highlights (English subtitles available):

Edit: the stream for the CD Projekt H1 2018 earnings release briefing is live on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/cdprojektred

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is about the only individual stock that I've ever done consistently well with. Managed to sell it back in February just under $58 and rebought it at $39 this summer (unfortunately at a lower volume). That wasn't the first time I've made good money off of them either. I would like to think it's because of my intuition from studying and discussing video game sales for so long, but who knows.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft is ~3.3% down after a half day of trading as a reaction on the news that the Chinese Ministry of Education recommends fewer game approvals to combat myopia.

In the pre-market, Activision Blizzard is 2.3% down for the same reason. EA and Take-Two don't have as much business in China and are down only 0.2% and 0.5% respectively.

Before I clicked that link I thought for sure they're using myopia as a metaphor for something else but nope they're indeed talking about near-sightedness, lol. That's the most ridiculous thing I've read all month. There's definitely a different reason behind fewer game approvals, but anyway, Ubisoft will recover for sure.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is about the only individual stock that I've ever done consistently well with. Managed to sell it back in February just under $58 and rebought it at $39 this summer (unfortunately at a lower volume). That wasn't the first time I've made good money off of them either. I would like to think it's because of my intuition from studying and discussing video game sales for so long, but who knows.
Isnt nintendo like 38000 yen which would be 390 USD?

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Before I clicked that link I thought for sure they're using myopia as a metaphor for something else but nope they're indeed talking about near-sightedness, lol. That's the most ridiculous thing I've read all month. There's definitely a different reason behind fewer game approvals, but anyway, Ubisoft will recover for sure.
Yeah, it's ridiculous indeed. I'm getting pretty pissed at China's gaming regulations in general to be honest. It goes in waves. Sometimes they're very loose and everything is super-awesome; and sometimes they go full "communist defensive regulations" mode and hell breaks loose. It really sucks. :(

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Dammit, I've never shorted a stock but I really got the urge to short the fuck out of EA a couple weeks ago. Not just because I dislike the company (I don't invest on feelings), but primarily because I felt their stock was the most bloated out of any of the existing gaming stocks (and tech in general is super bloated right now). I don't have much confidence in Battlefield 5 or Anthem, and the spotlight on their shitty micro-transactions practices puts them in a rough place. But I missed my opportunity, oh well.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Dammit, I've never shorted a stock but I really got the urge to short the fuck out of EA a couple weeks ago. Not just because I dislike the company (I don't invest on feelings), but primarily because I felt their stock was the most bloated out of any of the existing gaming stocks (and tech in general is super bloated right now). I don't have much confidence in Battlefield 5 or Anthem, and the spotlight on their shitty micro-transactions practices puts them in a rough place. But I missed my opportunity, oh well.
Yeah it doesn't look good when you look at the graphs, the stock is almost back to where it was a year ago. I'm not selling though, it'll bounce back up again sooner or later.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah it doesn't look good when you look at the graphs, the stock is almost back to where it was a year ago. I'm not selling though, it'll bounce back up again sooner or later.

Oh, I'm sure it will fairly soon, unless tech/the whole market takes a big hit, which is possible. But I also don't invest on possibles, only probables. I'm honestly not investing in much at all right now even though part of me really wants to. As a grad student I just don't have the income to warrant the risk.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm currently out any American video game stock.

I have no faith EA can deliver with BFV and Anthem. I'm not that enthusiastic about the Activision side of ATVI (both Destiny 2 and COD:BO4). And tbh, I think the expectations for RDR2 are too high, especially the online revenue part. Take-Two may have another hit with NBA 2K19 and RDR2 will do good for sure. I'm not that hesitant about Take-Two, but EA and ATVI are in this weird position where I'm not confident in them and I follow my gut feeling to sell everything, which is what I did (before Thursday, fortunately).

I currently only have some AMD and NVDA left in terms of American stock.

As for the Swedish stocks (Paradox, Starbreeze, THQ Nordic), I wonder how they - and the OMX Stockholm in general - will behave with the general election coming up next Sunday (and of course the market's reaction to the results next week). The Swedish Democrats had some big forecasts this week, although apparently they weakened a bit later in the week. But hopefully they won't get too many votes, because I don't think their anti-EU stance will do the economy much good. I doubt they'll become the biggest, but since the rest of the parties don't want to work together with them, their size in and of itself will make it more difficult to create a new coalition with a majority of the seats. For now, I won't be buying any new Swedish stocks until after the election.

I know we have a couple of Swedish people here in the thread. I'd love to know what they think of this topic and the impact of the potential outcomes on Swedish game companies.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I know we have a couple of Swedish people here in the thread. I'd love to know what they think of this topic and the impact of the potential outcomes on Swedish game companies.
I don't own any swedish gaming stocks right now but SD getting a high percentage in the election won't surprise anyone, that's pretty much expected at this point, unfortunately. So if there is a dip I think it will stabilize relatively quickly. And it's a gamble to try to jump in and out at the right time so I usually just buy and sit still, Brexit was a much bigger deal but the stock market survived that too. However, I plan to free up some cash, the sudden dips are great to get in at a discount ;)

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't own any swedish gaming stocks right now but SD getting a high percentage in the election won't surprise anyone, that's pretty much expected at this point, unfortunately. So if there is a dip I think it will stabilize relatively quickly. And it's a gamble to try to jump in and out at the right time so I usually just buy and sit still, Brexit was a much bigger deal but the stock market survived that too. However, I plan to free up some cash, the sudden dips are great to get in at a discount ;)
Thanks for sharing. I'm not from Sweden, so it's hard to follow the news about it and the general sentiment about the elections in Sweden. You're probably right about the recoverability of the market after a potential SD win.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
DarkDetective Fredrik imo there's no risk involved. SD can't win, and their influence won't change too much from what it was four years ago. The government is in pretty much the exact same situation as four years ago. I don't think there's any reason to worry.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Hello people's. How do you guys view SQ at the moment. I'm seeing a bunch of people wanting to short it, but it keeps on trucking along. However it went down like 6% today.

Looks like you guys mainly trade game stocks?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Bleh, I'm down on almost everything on nasdaq today so far, only amd is up. Any idea what's causing it?

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Hello people's. How do you guys view SQ at the moment. I'm seeing a bunch of people wanting to short it, but it keeps on trucking along. However it went down like 6% today.

I've invested in other industries in the past, but I was only a beginning investor back then. At some point, I decided it would be better to invest in industries I was personally already interested in, so I'm exclusively in tech and gaming at the moment.

Bleh, I'm down on almost everything on nasdaq today so far, only amd is up. Any idea what's causing it?
Well, there's a lot of general political troubles at the moment with the US. There's another flood wave in the potential trade war between the US and China; there's the quarrel between Canada and the US about the NAFTA, in relation with the new US-Mexico deal.

And about tech in general, the top executives from Facebook and Twitter have to explain in the US Senate about the fight against organisations that try to influence elections (Alphabet was also asked, but refused, and stock went down).

Then there's Tesla which went down after Elon Musk spoke about that Thai diver who he previously called a pedo... he now called him a child raper.

So yeah, lots of unstability.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Well, there's a lot of general political troubles at the moment with the US. There's another flood wave in the potential trade war between the US and China; there's the quarrel between Canada and the US about the NAFTA, in relation with the new US-Mexico deal.

And about tech in general, the top executives from Facebook and Twitter have to explain in the US Senate about the fight against organisations that try to influence elections (Alphabet was also asked, but refused, and stock went down).

Then there's Tesla which went down after Elon Musk spoke about that Thai diver who he previously called a pedo... he now called him a child raper.

Oh... :/

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha. I'm really curious on how long this tech bubble will last. I imagine it will be pretty bloody. We are in the longest bull run ever, and some people tend to forget that things go down. *looks at crypto*

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Gotcha. I'm really curious on how long this tech bubble will last. I imagine it will be pretty bloody. We are in the longest bull run ever, and some people tend to forget that things go down. *looks at crypto*

There's no single tech bubble anymore. The tech industry is really wide and varied. Cryptocurrencies may be one bubble, but as a whole the industry is fine.

Mansa Musa

Alt-Account
Sep 4, 2018
Im owning Sony stock right now. Grabbed it in the 40s now its in the 50s. I've been eyeing Nintendo and Take Two stock as well. I was thinking of grabbing Ubisoft and CD Projekt Red Stock as well but I think they bought back all their shares from the market

DarkDetective

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone been following AMD lately? They've gone up huge in the last month, from about 20 to 29, and are being targeted to hit 30 a share soon. I jumped in a bit today because the stock had dropped to about 27 this morning.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no single tech bubble anymore. The tech industry is really wide and varied. Cryptocurrencies may be one bubble, but as a whole the industry is fine.
Yeah I mean amazon is mainly a retailer with a great b2b cloud service. Apple is a luxury goods manufacturer. Google is an information broker and ad company. Totally different models. I think amazon and google will become more and more important (in particular as there is little competition in the core business for them)

I've invested in other industries in the past, but I was only a beginning investor back then. At some point, I decided it would be better to invest in industries I was personally already interested in, so I'm exclusively in tech and gaming at the moment.

I think its far easier than that. The nasdaq had an incredible run this august and it was time for a correction. September seems to be a traditional meh month.

Anyone been following AMD lately? They've gone up huge in the last month, from about 20 to 29, and are being targeted to hit 30 a share soon. I jumped in a bit today because the stock had dropped to about 27 this morning.
Made some good money on it (and apple) wish that i would have had a bigger position. I am about 50% up.

Mansa Musa

Alt-Account
Sep 4, 2018
I invested about 30% of my portfolio in QQQ stocks. I wanted some major diversification because my portfolio was very Weed heavy.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AMD is an extremely volatile stock for short-term trading. It's basically speculation when AMD regularly swings +/- 5-10% in a single day. I'm not a day trader so I can't really comment on the viability of making money there.

As a long-term hold, I am betting that the value will appreciate significantly higher by the end of this year and going into 2019. AMD's recently become competitive in the consumer, business, and data center CPU markets, and they will be even stronger next year when 7nm products are ramping up. Meanwhile, Intel's roadmap is basically a gigantic dumpster fire due to their 10nm woes. It's basically a perfect storm of (a) AMD got extremely lucky by developing a well-received new CPU architecture with room for improvement and (b) Intel coasted on their CPU monopoly instead of fundamentally improving and now has gigantic problems to deal with which can't be fixed in the short-term.

AMD's discrete GPUs are selling OK for business / enterprise, but are basically a non-factor in the consumer segments relative to Nvidia. The first generation of 7nm GPU tech is geared towards business, so we won't be seeing AMD compete with Nvidia's consumer GPUs for at least another year or two (assuming Navi is good enough to compete with Turing or whatever Nvidia is pushing at that time).

Disclaimer: I have about $33k in AMD that I plan on holding long-term, barring any market/company disasters.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Im owning Sony stock right now. Grabbed it in the 40s now its in the 50s. I've been eyeing Nintendo and Take Two stock as well. I was thinking of grabbing Ubisoft and CD Projekt Red Stock as well but I think they bought back all their shares from the market

DarkDetective
What do you mean with that? Ubisoft and CD Projekt are still publicly traded and I personally don't know anything about that despite owning both of them. Maybe they're just not available anymore at your broker?

Can we change the title to "Earning and loosing money with video games"?
What happened? :O

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
AMD is an extremely volatile stock for short-term trading. It's basically speculation when AMD regularly swings +/- 5-10% in a single day. I'm not a day trader so I can't really comment on the viability of making money there.

As a long-term hold, I am betting that the value will appreciate significantly higher by the end of this year and going into 2019. AMD's recently become competitive in the consumer, business, and data center CPU markets, and they will be even stronger next year when 7nm products are ramping up. Meanwhile, Intel's roadmap is basically a gigantic dumpster fire due to their 10nm woes. It's basically a perfect storm of (a) AMD got extremely lucky by developing a well-received new CPU architecture with room for improvement and (b) Intel coasted on their CPU monopoly instead of fundamentally improving and now has gigantic problems to deal with which can't be fixed in the short-term.

AMD's discrete GPUs are selling OK for business / enterprise, but are basically a non-factor in the consumer segments relative to Nvidia. The first generation of 7nm GPU tech is geared towards business, so we won't be seeing AMD compete with Nvidia's consumer GPUs for at least another year or two (assuming Navi is good enough to compete with Turing or whatever Nvidia is pushing at that time).

Disclaimer: I have about $33k in AMD that I plan on holding long-term, barring any market/company disasters.
Thanks for the advise! I think I'll go in a bit more now while they are slightly lower than this past week.

Gans

Oct 27, 2017
This thread just encouraged me to start on a massive £50 just to see what's this about and play with it a bit :)

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

This thread is for gaming stocks, which is why we talk gaming stocks in here lol. Doesn't mean that's our main investment, but for many it might be, yeah. Remember to always have a diversified portfolio if you're serious about investment though.

Can we change the title to "Earning and loosing money with video games"?

Remember you haven't lost or earned anything until you've actually sold your stocks.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Don't hesitate to share your feelings, thoughts, hesitations, and questions about companies you're interested in. :)

Want to hear a little story about the great trainwreck that was the Greek stock market on 2015-2016, last bitcoin crazy was nothing in contrast to this manipulative market.

In short, i should have kept all my postitions to foreghn markets.

Mansa Musa

Alt-Account
Sep 4, 2018
What do you mean with that? Ubisoft and CD Projekt are still publicly traded and I personally don't know anything about that despite owning both of them. Maybe they're just not available anymore at your broker?

What happened? :O

I believe the Stock price/activity was frozen because they bought back a number of their shares I'll find an article.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is for gaming stocks, which is why we talk gaming stocks in here lol. Doesn't mean that's our main investment, but for many it might be, yeah. Remember to always have a diversified portfolio if you're serious about investment though.

Remember you haven't lost or earned anything until you've actually sold your stocks.
80% of my stocks are gaming and tech related and it's been a crazy ride. Nvidia, amd, apple, amazon, etc. They've all gone up like crazy. Especially nvidia. At one time on the other forum I posted about an idea to invest in nvidia and buy new cards from the earnings. Got cold responses. But that's exactly what I did, and I've so far upgraded from 780ti to 980ti to 1080ti only from the nvidia earnings.
I definitely start to get nervous now though, it feels like it's more likely that we'll hit a huge dip in the coming 3 years than that these stocks keeps growing like they have the previous 3 years. But I don't know what else to invest in to be honest... And I don't want to miss out if they keeps on going up! :s
(Today is another sour day though...)