• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Both swords are identical in design (plasma contained in a magnetic field) and both have it in their lore that they can clash with weapons of a similar design.

So they wouldn't pass through each other (although in real life they would because they're plasma but that's besides the point).

The big thing though is that the energy sword also gives off a massive electrical discharge that's capable of killing both wielders when it connects with another energy sword. Assuming the game mechanic is cannon.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The real question is if Stinkles avatar is a picture of mister chief tattooed/painted on the top of his bald head.

edit-
Picture is blurry and we could actually have an arresteddevelopmenttheseareballs.gif situation here

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, what about this

Superman in Masterchief armor vs Goku in Space Marine armor

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Elites are nine feet tall so. permanent high ground .

e311bf42c66e7f79c78edcbf5aeacad9.jpg

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Until we know of the official height difference between Luke and Bigger Luke, we can't say this for sure.

Actually since he's not even human and from a different galaxy possibly billions of years ago he may not even be comparable relevant height one way or another....

assuming that Han is about six feet tall though and the two users are of equal skill then high ground is unbeatable (I didn't make these rules! - even though Darth Maul has the high ground to beat all high ground when Anakin does him in...) and the Plasma sword has the potentially exploitable advantage of the split blades to "catch" a light saber I still would give it to the plasma sword....

EXCEPT!!! Plasma Sword in most campaign settings takes damage/depletes energy and eventually sputters out if it makes high energy contact with mass (flesh, armor, vehicles etc) - without extensive testing in real life conditions- it's not possible to know if the contained plasma blade will take meaningful damage from the saber's assembly of "photonic molecules." It's possible that the saber's field generated "fake" massy properties will not meaningfully deplete the Energy Sword - and potentially even augment its kinetic impact as a kind of resonant reflection.

this is made more complex by the recent revelation of Forerunner "hard light " technology which uses a different and more advanced technology to imbue photons with useful mass like properties- including far better control over heat and rigidity down to the subatomic level- no clumsy EM fields for Forerunner tech - however the Covenant- while reverse engineering many forerunner concepts from found artifacts- are doing so at a fairly rudimentary level- and humans have shown a far better ability to analyze, replicate and even improve upon both covenant and forerunner tech - a natural ability amplified by our willingness to grant AIs agency and the freedom to innovate- covenant religious and cultural traditions restrict AI to mete obedient number crunching and navigation chores.

now - Force users? Trickier still. Jedi can for example use the Force to enhance their weapon skill of course- but also do stuff like protect their skin from excess heat radiation (trade federation ship scene where they melt the bulkhead door) - Elites can't use the Force- but several humans- Chief included- have exhibited mysterious interactions with dormant and active Forerunner tech - potentially related to an unusual property of their dna- either predicted by or possibly manipulated by long vanished forerunner biologists. Could that be expressed as a surfeit of modichlorians? (Which I have head canoned as a measurable side effect of force power- bacteria like "moths" attracted to a flame and not the CAUSE of the force like some weird old Star Wars enthusiasts insist) I think we have to consider that possibility.

In summary then, the Plasma or Energy Sword is, in every possible rational scenario- more powerful and deadly therefore than a light saber. Even a light saber stacked with a thousand dead Jedi Khyber derived "red crystals "

if a Star Wars enthusiast here knows more about the saber (my knowledge is f Star Wars is pretty rudimentary) and presents a contradictory fact, I will simply drive to the office and add newly "discovered " information that leapfrogs any such contradiction. So no matter what, Plasma Sword wins.

I rest my case.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tbh that gametheory vid convinced me.

Assuming both combatants are equal and we are going on weapon vs weapon. And we assume both blades can "clash", the energy sword wins due to its design.

The blades extend down to protect the wrist, something no other lightsaber does. I'm not even convinced Kylos done since its been stated its not a hilt, but vents. If you break those vents who knows what happens. The split blade nature means if you can trap the lightsaber its game over. I'd also give it more of the defensive edge because of its flattened two blade design. You can block easier due to more surface.

The one caveat I have is I have no idea how weird it would be to sword fight with a horizontal handle.

AzureJet

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Disregarding slicing with the edge, what would happen if you just slap someone with the blade itself? Would it cut clean through? Or would it leave just a nasty mark?

Also, I would argue that the energy sword is at a disadvantage due to the amount of heat it generates. Many Halo novels describe how simply being near an energy sword can cause burns. Elite skin may be resistant to such heat, but surely a prolonged sword fight would eventually harm the elite.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
We'll be able to test this in game once Master Chief is in Smash. Just have Samus pick up a beam saber and have Master Chief use whichever B move is tied to Energy Sword lunge (Side B?).

Or even better, have Master Chief fight the Zero assist trophy.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
A mix of insane O'Donnell drums and epic John Williams choral music.

A Master (Chief) and an Apprentice:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The secret is the energy sword user has to hit the melee button instead of the normal fire button because it has a shorter delay.