• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
EYhQ7XiU8AA2Gs1

www.gematsu.com

Baroque: Original Version coming to Switch in 2020 in Japan

Sting will release first-person action game Baroque: Original Version for Switch via the Nintendo eShop in 2020 in Japan, the developer announced.

So yeah this is a thing! This is possibly meant to be the original Saturn game, rather than the Wii and PS2 remake we got over a decade ago.

As they say, if it's not Baroque, don't fix it!

Evolution 1 and 2 for Switch when please?

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
It's that weird Rogue-like RPG right?
It came out at a time before the genre got even popular in the west though games like Binding of Isaac.
Maybe it has a chance to get more acknowledgement now.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Music is incredible and nice design choices.

And yes, I thought Sting (The Police frontman) made a videogame

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Evolution 1 and 2 for Switch when please?
I know it probably hasn't held up the best in comparison to other RPGs, but dammit, Evolution Worlds was one of my first "true" RPGs not counting stuff like M&L and Paper Mario and I'd be up for replaying it on modern systems despite having a copy.

I remember hearing/seeing the PS2 & Wii version back in the day, with "eeeh" reviews & some magazine ads. I would see the Wii version at Family Video but never rented it. Just that I remember it was Atlus published. Though had no idea it was technically a remake & the original was on PS1 & Saturn.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Posted this in the Nintendo eshop thread an hour ago.

Really looking forward to this. I wonder which is better, the original or the PS2/Wii version?

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Wow that's pretty cool. Always hoped for translation of the saturn game. Definitely gonna buy it, if it comes out in the west.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I've always wanted to play this game, not the remake, I feel it loses a lot of its atmosphere by the switch from first person to third person and wasn't a fan of the redesigned characters, I prefer the creepy sprites. Will keep an eye on it!

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being hyped for the remake but in the end skipped it as it didn't seem to have the same atmosphere and was slammed in reviews.
Here's hoping they bring this to West.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, if Sting wants to shift the rest of their titles over to the Switch too I'll pick them up. They've been hiding in the rafters for too long.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Oh, I think I played the Wii version of this, but I really didn't care for it. At the time my experience with roguelike dungeon crawlers was mostly just Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, so I wasn't prepared for how unforgiving the genre tends to be, and I'm just not into the games that reset most/all of your progress when you die. I don't remember if that was my problem with Baroque or if I just found it blah for other reasons, though.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sting needs to start releasing their eShop stuff overseas. Either do it themselves or partner with a bigger pub (Atlus, NISA, IDFI, Aksys, etc). I hope all the Dept Heaven games get ports.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
We've reached the point where people on an enthusiast gaming forum don't know Sting. This is like when people didn't know who Bonk was.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Baroque was such an interesting little game but I only ever played the Wii version. I hope this will be released overseas seas one way or another.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
This was one of my favorite and most under-appreciated Saturn games! What a surprising announcement.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Neat, I've always been curious about the Saturn version of this game.

Also why do we have so many people in here who don't know Sting?

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sting needs to start releasing their eShop stuff overseas. Either do it themselves or partner with a bigger pub (Atlus, NISA, IDFI, Aksys, etc). I hope all the Dept Heaven games get ports.
The problem is that Atlus USA was behind most most of the localizations of the big Sting games (like the Dept Heaven series), and Sega isn't really into the business of publishing niche Japanese localizations anymore, which could be a problem if they own the localizations.
Neat, I've always been curious about the Saturn version of this game.

Also why do we have so many people in here who don't know Sting?
Somewhat niche developer + not too active in the past few years = many people aren't aware.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The problem is that Atlus USA was behind most most of the localizations of the big Sting games (like the Dept Heaven series), and Sega isn't really into the business of publishing niche Japanese localizations anymore, which could be a problem if they own the localizations.
Sure but if Sega's not interested I do wonder if other pubs might be willing to do new locs anyway? I feel like at least the DH games have enough notoriety to get something moving.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
The announcement comes only a few days after Baroque's Great Heat Day (May 14).

I'm a huge fan of the PS2/Wii remake. Wanted to try the Saturn version for a long time, so it's a definite buy from me. Unless it never releases outside JPN.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
We've reached the point where people on an enthusiast gaming forum don't know Sting. This is like when people didn't know who Bonk was.

I shouldn't feel special for knowing about Success Corp., Flight-Plan, or Sting on ERA, and yet here I am and it feels kind of bad.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but if Sega's not interested I do wonder if other pubs might be willing to do new locs anyway? I feel like at least the DH games have enough notoriety to get something moving.
If there's a publisher that thinks the games could sell enough, I suppose they could relocalize them. Anyway, either by licensing or by relocalizing, I hope some way is found to give their Switch ports a western release.

kaister

Oct 27, 2017
Can't blame people for people not knowing Sting Entertainment. I'm only aware of them cause of two GBA games: Riviera The Promised Land and Yggdra Union.

Honestly I'm shocked they're still alive, would've guess they folded a long time ago. Never even heard of any of their recent projects.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad we won't get this in English. I've always been interested in weird Japanese Saturn games

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
All these joke posts make reading this thread more annoying than it should be. Can you guys cut it out? Its not funny

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Always been extremely interested in this game. After my first exposure to SMT I've been unable to escape the hunger for more dark fantasy RPGs and Baroque fit the bill. Actually could have gotten the Wii game back when I had one but never got around to it.

All these joke posts make reading this thread more annoying than it should be. Can you guys cut it out? Its not funny
tenor.gif

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Huh. I actually bought the Wii version of Baroque.

FYI: It's a JRPG roguelike. You take runs on a randomly generated dungeon and if you die you lose your levels and gear and start again. I'm a fan of the roguelike genre and I found it ... Ok. Not great, not terrible. I do remember it getting really bad reviews.

This will probably be a great fit for the Switch. If it's reasonably priced, I'm in.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
HA! Even back in 2008 when I posted that rumor of Evolution 3 coming to Wii in the old forum, it was filled with Sting jokes as well. Felt sad then, still does now. :(

I know about loads of niche JP devs, so I could tell you about what most have made and recently if they're still around. :P

Sting mostly worked on some of the *googles name* Utawarerumono games on Vita and PS4. Otherwise they've been on mobile for a while. Switch is the first system they've put their own stuff on since really the PSP I think.