• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will be that moment?

• Hellblade 2

Votes: 129 14.2%
  • God of War: Ragnarok

Votes: 73 8.0%
  • Starfield

Votes: 27 3.0%
  • Forza Motorsport

Votes: 44 4.8%
  • Some unannounced and unseen game

Votes: 380 41.8%
  • Already happened

Votes: 256 28.2%

• Total voters

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I think at some point we'll have to get more used to the idea that there will be fewer and fewer games available that will really push the power of systems graphically. There will be a few titles developed by AAA studios to really tale advantage of the power, but all the labor and time needed to make it a reality will be prohibitive to doing it for more than one or two games per studio. Don't know if it will be this gen when it happens, but eventually I think we'll have to get used to the idea that next visuals will only be possible for a smaller "handful" of games and being more comfortable with idea of the majority of games being technically possible in lower powered systems.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
For me it was the combination of fast loading great graphics at 60fps and duelsense feedback that blew me away in Ratchet and Horizon.

I was honestly pretty fed up with the limitations of last gen so i'm more that happy for what we got and think it's much better that what a typical next gen offer (usually better graphics at 30fps)

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Last gen it was Uncharted 4 for me, which came in 2016. I guess i'll choose "future unnanounced game".
(Ratchet and DS remake look incredible though, but not miles away from other games)

OP
OP
Strifel

Strifel

Oct 13, 2021
I think you just have a very warped view on what last gen looks like lmao

That has better fidelity than anything on last gen and its running at 4k60, pretty much 4x the resolution, twice the framerate and loading times cut down from almost a minute to about 2-3 seconds. Its way better than anything on last gen.

Whatever crack you're smoking must be excellent

Lol you've clearly not played the game

It's better in motion.

So far the most next gen looking game we have so far.

The hell is wrong with you?
Instead of insulting me, why not actually look at the screenshots? I simply don't find them particularly impressive, they're not a good showcase for the game and its claim to being that next gen moment.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
If it happens - something unannounced that is current gen exclusive.

But diminishing returns are absolutely a thing, at least on TV. VR still has huge room for growth though.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Probably not happening any time soon since most things are crossgen. Cyberpunk was the closest thing for me but it had to many issues

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Instead of insulting me, why not actually look at the screenshots? I simply don't find them particularly impressive, they're not a good showcase for the game and its claim to being that next gen moment.
I did not insult you man, and I did look at the screenshots. Thing is, youre just casually ignoring that next gen games are running much, much better than anything on last gen right now. Ignoring that the best looking PS4 games are running at 1080/30 vs 4k60 should explain why you dont find next gen games that impressive.

Very few games arent hitting at least one those targets on next gen, the Matrix UE5 demo is one that comes to mind.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I think it's kinda obvious you haven't played the game tho. Saying it looks last gen is a joke and you're understandably getting clowned on for it. Your examples of next gen feels for the last 3 gens are two bad games and one good game, and none of them had even passable performance.

Oct 29, 2017

Agreed. It looks more or less like TLoU2. In motion, TLoU2 is better because of the insane animations. I did play the game. It kind of sucks that most of the incredible geometry on the cobbled structures also disappears with 60FPS.

Sure it's 60FPS but that's really not a next-gen benchmark. It definitely couldn't look and run like this on a PS4 Pro but of what you listed they are clearly jaw-dropping moments that came across from even low-res screenshots back in the day.

IMO UE5 Matrix and MSFS comes kind of close but I don't think we are going to reach the same level. Games look great most of the time because of immense effort going into assets and designing not because of tech. A well baked GI solution like in aforementioned TLoU2 can do wonders. The last generation was incredibly well balanced and designed hardware and it also had the advantage to come after a really long generation. Right now the big jaw-dropper in tech is RTGI and anything that incorporates it. And for that the current generation might not be enough. If some technology could drastically improve asset and level/character design it could shake things up. Right now we've hit the limit with RDR2s and TLoU2s.

OP
OP
Strifel

Strifel

Oct 13, 2021
I think it's kinda obvious you haven't played the game tho. Saying it looks last gen is a joke and you're understandably getting clowned on for it. Your examples of next gen feels for the last 3 gens are two bad games and one good game, and none of them had even passable performance.
What does the quality of the game have to do with fidelity?

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
yeh, i fully get games like Ratchet, Forza and HFW look great but it was never that NEXT GEN leap from the previous games. I think the closest so far that is actually playable is the matrix demo, but yeh just a demo.

I think the last Hellblade 2 showing looks phenomenal as well, if they can tweak some of the jank that might be the first game that really wows me.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, there are already games out that look at least as good or better visually than most on that list, Hellblade 2 aside. Ratchet and Clank for instance, or Cyberpunk 2077 with full RT on PC. As for upcoming games though, it is could be FFXVI for me, that looks incredible. More impressive than anything on the OP's list for me.

Of the games on the list though, while I think GoW could be most visually pleasing, Hellblade 2 is probably looks most impressive - although the character model and lighting so far has impressed me least. Starfield probably impressed me most technically which is surprising. The scale combined with the asset quality looks surprisingly good.

Because the fidelity of the game is super impressive. I played it alongside Gears of War on PC, and it is big level above that game from a pure graphics perspective.

Last edited:

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
already happened couple of times for me,
which is impressive considering pro consoles of mid last gen.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
OP you're using the word "fidelity" a lot. Are you willing to define what you mean so we're all on the same page.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I'm sorry but none of these look anywhere close to a "true next gen moment".
RCRF is the closest one but its cartooney art style works against it here.
I mean it was clear to me they look better, so that qualifies to me but okay. The 60 fps on console contributes a lot too and counts to how good they look.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I think the standard of what constitutes as a complete, total "next gen moment" has risen so high that it's only going to come from a developer that has both the technical and artistic talent, finances, and time to produce what you're asking for in a modern climate. Many of the things that blew us away with previous iterations of technology have become standardised and the toolsets available to developers allow easer implementation of incredible effects and fidelity.

For me personally, primarily playing on PC, it's the incremental improvements and specific tech leaps that appear "next gen" to me. Stuff like the Market of Light tech demo, Matrix tech demo, and Flight Simulator all demonstrate technology that is simply unfeasible on last generation hardware and exhibit incredible leaps of modern architecture and networking. Flight Sim's outstanding draw distance, volumetric clouds, and insane topographical density as a combined effort of hand made assets and procedural tech is about as nextgen as it gets. The Matrix UE5 is maybe the nicest, or most believably cinematic looking, real time tech demo in existence. And while Market of Light certainly isn't the best looking thing on the market, it's an amazing demonstration of how UE5's nanite can improve LOD management while retaining immaculate image quality and detail. And then, of course, all the ray tracing stuff that games are doing.

272074858_2202074576608269_139467309015519093_n.jpg

272015305_337602568239200_7859152829788663540_n.jpg
272305166_517120963347646_551553294775865702_n.jpg

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Didn't your fidelity tangent just start on page 2? You were talking about next gen experiences before you took your goalpost and ran off with it. If you make a thread about next gen experiences, people are going to talk about video games my dude.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It was Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart for me. Blizar Mines level in particular was a real this is next gen moment. Also Horizon Forbidden West in res mode looked bonkers.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With how pervasive crossgen development has been I don't think that moment is coming anymore.

OP
OP
Strifel

Strifel

Oct 13, 2021
User Warned: Trolling
Didn't your fidelity tangent just start on page 2? You were talking about next gen experiences before you took your goalpost and ran off with it. If you make a thread about next gen experiences, people are going to talk about video games my dude.
Stop getting so defensive over me calling obviously terrible DS screenshots terrible.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
This new gen I have not been wowed at all by anything graphically and feel like its a half generational leap forwards, hopefully towards the end of the gen we get some things that really push the boat out

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Next gen for me hasn't been purely fidelity for a while, so Rift Apart running St around 100fps with no load times AND looking good on top was a next gen moment for me. Demon's Souls for just looks was already there, despite not liking some artistic choices in there.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I've not played it, but looking at screenshots, Demon's Souls really doesn't look all that different to Gears 5, especially Gears 5 on an XSX.

I think that if said "next gen" moment happens it'll be entirely subjective based on every person though.

It's not just that diminishing returns are something we should acknowledge, but that this generation is more than just raw power. There's gonna be SSD loading times and potential for new game design (Ratchet and Clank), there's gonna be ray tracing, there's gonna be the ability to run games that look similar but running smoothly etc etc.

Like if im being honest, Elden Ring already felt like "that moment" to me. It wasn't the most graphically intensive game by any means, there are PS4 games that look better than that, but the perceived smoothness playing on my Series X at that level of fidelity just felt incredible and it was great but in spite of that I didn't really notice at first. I noticed it when the TV where my Series X is connected was in use so I played upstairs on my 1X. And honestly, the 1X version was a noticeably rough 30ish FPS that felt sluggish and looked noticeably worse while also taking much longer to load the game, where it really made the XSX feel next gen in a way I hadn't thought of it as before.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
FFXVI should also be in the OP list I reckon. Lighting, detail, asset quality across scale, and modelling looks excellent. The level of detail on the Eikon's especially is utterly absurd. I would like to know what poly counts they are using, because it looks even higher than the dinorobos in Horizon...

Oct 27, 2017
Demons, R&C, H:FW, Flight Sim and C2077 at max settings are great examples of "phase 1" next gen games. Also, The Matrix tech demo was a huge generational leap but it will take time before full games get there specially considering the pandemic delayed everything.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Ratchet is up there. And look, the whole scene swapping thing isn't overly mind blowing to me; a shitload of other games have done dual world-state dynamic swapping before and just as well. Titanfall 2 and Dishonored 2 come to mind. And in both those games I found the implementation and technology more impressive than Ratchet by virtue of letting you swap on the fly and interact with much more of each world-state. In Ratchet it was a pretty weak, if visually impressive gimmick.

But the actual asset quality and rendering engine backing Ratchet is fucking unreal. Some stages looked markedly better than others, but the overall asset and rendering quality is leaps is leaps and bounds over last gen.