• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go is lame as fuck. Who needs a one to one grid-based remake, I'd rather be playing the originals again if that's the case

They should've done Red 2 and Blue 2, actual sequels with a new story, updated region and mega evolutions

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It amazes me how much Pokemon fans hate Kanto these days. You have to admit a fully realized 3D/HD Kanto that resembles the anime is like the holy grail of video games.
It's fatigue. Kanto and Kanto Pokémon have been shoved into every piece of media multiple times since 2013.
They should've done Red 2 and Blue 2, actual sequels with a new story, updated region and mega evolutions
That's literally what Gold and Silver are, minus mega evos.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go is way better than SwSh, and I think it was fun and good to use a faithful Kanto for a slightly differently playing game. Catching in Let's Go is the most fun it's been since the early gens, it's a joy to be in that world just chilling and catching Pokémon.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
And Gold and Silver are the best Pokémon games

Coincidence? I think not

Regardless, I obviously meant with Kanto being the main focus of the game, not a post-game watered down experience
I'm not sure what would entail a Red2/Blue2 that wasn't done before. Team Rocket? They are completely dismantled in Gen II. Red and Blue? We get their aftermaths there as well. There was no underlying narrative thread that got unexplored in Gen I that is still pending. Making a sequel to Red and Blue brings nothing new to the table. The Let's Go games are, for all intents and purposes, Red2 and Blue2 anyway, yet the hardcore crowd hates them.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
Playing through Kanto the bajillionth time made me realize it's one of the weakest regions.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what would entail a Red2/Blue2 that wasn't done before. Team Rocket? They are completely dismantled in Gen II. Red and Blue? We get their aftermaths there as well. There was no underlying narrative thread that got unexplored in Gen I that is still pending. Making a sequel to Red and Blue brings nothing new to the table. The Let's Go games are, for all intents and purposes, Red2 and Blue2 anyway, yet the hardcore crowd hates them.
Does the idea of a new story in Kanto completely baffle you? Seeing familiar locations years later in a new light? Beloved characters as adults? It's an opportunity to explore the region in a whole new way. Starting town doesn't have to be Pallet, and they can take you on a completely different path though the journey. Do you seriously not see why people might find the idea of beloved childhood locales, but fleshed out and teeming with life, appealing? The originals were very simple so kids had to fill in with their imagination - Game Freak can actually make those imaginations a reality.

Let's Go was shit because it offered barely anything new on top of the originals. The story was barely tweaked, the world was barely updated, they didn't expand the available Pokémon selection, nothing. It's still a constrained top down grid-based game that may as well be the original Gameboy games with a new coat of paint. It did nothing to actually deliver on how people imagined Kanto in their childhood mind's eye.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Game Freak haven't even made any 3D towns yet, so we'll be waiting until after the DP remakes, then after Gen 9, at the earliest.

But you're right. The reason people try to say Kanto is an uninteresting region is just because of the 1996 original Game Boy limits and how small and inexperienced they were as devs. But in both times they're remade the games they took an easy way out of being far too conservative and keeping things too 1:1 in world design, rather than trying to create what was really in their imaginations during development before having to scale down that vision.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Game Freak haven't even made any 3D towns yet, so we'll be waiting until after the DP remakes, then after Gen 9, at the earliest.

But you're right. The reason people try to say Kanto is an uninteresting region is just because of the 1996 original Game Boy limits and how small and inexperienced they were as devs. But in both times they're remade the games they took an easy way out of being far too conservative and keeping things too 1:1 in world design, rather than trying to create what was really in their imaginations during development before having to scale down that vision.
Lumiose was full 3D! :p

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like the Pokémon anime has done more to destroy the games than anything else. I think it hurts the storylines in the games and seems like the main reason we're stuck with Charizard and Pikachu in every damn game.

Oct 27, 2017
Kanto is the thematically most boring region, nothing of value was lost.
Isn't that OPs point? It's ripe for a modern day reinvention yet they barely managed that

I feel like the Pokémon anime has done more to destroy the games than anything else. I think it hurts the storylines in the games and seems like the main reason we're stuck with Charizard and Pikachu in every damn game.
Nah, it's all Gamefreak's doing. They're pretty much in control of the direction the games take. They're the ones obsessed with Gen 1 and everything else follows, not the other way around

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does the idea of a new story in Kanto completely baffle you? Seeing familiar locations years later in a new light? Beloved characters as adults? It's an opportunity to explore the region in a whole new way. Starting town doesn't have to be Pallet, and they can take you on a completely different path though the journey. Do you seriously not see why people might find the idea of beloved childhood locales, but fleshed out and teeming with life, appealing? The originals were very simple so kids had to fill in with their imagination - Game Freak can actually make those imaginations a reality.

Yeah and Gold and Silver already did that? Lance graduated to be the champion, Blue became a Gym Leader, Koga became an Elite 4 member and let his Daughter Janine take over the gym, Team Rocket are a shell of their former selves as Giovanni went into hiding, Cinnabar island erupted so Blaine had to relocate, The Power Plant became functional again and now helps connect up Kanto and Johto.

So not only do you get a continuation of the stories of the characters of Kanto, you also have a brand new region to explore with brand new pokemon to catch and brand new trainers to defeat as well. This game you want already exists and has existed for nearly 20 years now. It got a remake that's argued to be the best game in the entire Franchise for 10 years as well.

Be glad you have that, imagine if Sinnoh was your favourite region, where the best you ever get is that maybe Cynthia shows up as a super boss to fight in the game.

Nah, it's all Gamefreak's doing. They're pretty much in control of the direction the games take. They're the ones obsessed with Gen 1 and everything else follows, not the other way around

I'd wager the reason why Greninja has won 2 of the big pokemon popularity polls now is because of it's Kalos run in the anime.

Well that and Smash as well I suppose.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Gold and Silver were only 2 years after Red and Blue (in universe).

It would be great to see a Kanto sequel that was as far forward from the originals as Sun and Moon and see the remaining familiar characters like Brock and Misy grown up.

eih4ppncyqkt6hxc7mx0.png

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Replaying Let's Go after not getting much out of the SwSh expansion so far.

Do we know which team in GF made which game? As I vastly prefer everything presentation wise from Let's Go apart from the wild Pokemon catching mechanic. Better artstyle, character design and all round art direction.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I skipped FireRed/LeafGreen so I was actually looking forward to some legit Kanto remakes. And since they'd be the first Pokemon games on Switch, I went and let myself dream too hard. There were so many interesting things they could've done and we got... that. Still not totally over it tbh.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Let's Go and Go have such a "non-artstyle".

You made it "cartoony" by cranking the saturation on a bland gradient 3D look.

lambert.jpg

Yeah SwSh could look much better, like Genshin Impact or Granblue Versus, but Let's Go is so bleh.

Pokemon isn't Pokemon without outlines and stepped shading.

Let's Go does have better foliage and environment textures though. It's just the Pokemon and character shading that's much worse, to say nothing of the chibi proportions.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Kanto ain't that good. I get the nostalgia factor, but it is pretty wack after all these years.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe they wasted the first two HD entries of Pokémon. It should have been a true evolution of the series.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
This won't be an issue in 10-15 years when they're on their 3rd or 4th game with 3D Kanto.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Im just bummed we got -2- tile by tile remakes of gameboy games for switch. Let the RE2R team handle the Oracle remakes PLEASE.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Gold and Silver were only 2 years after Red and Blue (in universe).

It would be great to see a Kanto sequel that was as far forward from the originals as Sun and Moon and see the remaining familiar characters like Brock and Misy grown up.

eih4ppncyqkt6hxc7mx0.png

Back when the game was on rumor phase I thought that I would give it a chance if they would set the games years after the events of the original games. Even remix the games with later gen pokemon and "kantonian" forms from the latest games.

Instead they went with about every uninteresting decision with the remake going from the same thing with a worse artstyle, same campaign, only Kanto pokemon and their different forms, reduced stats, chibi 3D models, etc.

Can't say that I would care for a revisited Kanto in a long time. They jinxed it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced no one actually likes Pokemon games
That's what happens when you listen to the vocal minority.

Im just bummed we got -2- tile by tile remakes of gameboy games for switch. Let the RE2R team handle the Oracle remakes PLEASE.
I'd rather they didn't turn two good 2D Zelda games into random 3D ones personally. That would be like remaking the Super Mario Land games or the NES Mario games to play like Odyssey.

Meanwhile Pokemon of the Year Greninja will have to win 2 more Pokemon of the Year competitions to get back in again.
I really don't think you have to worry about Greninja of all Pokemon getting love lol. TPC knows it's popular and gives it a ton of crap. The thing got an exclusive form while the rest of the gen 6 starters got nothing and that will probably continue.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think you have to worry about Greninja of all Pokemon getting love lol. TPC knows it's popular and gives it a ton of crap. The thing got an exclusive form while the rest of the gen 6 starters got nothing and that will probably continue.

And yet it still isn't in Sword and Shield.

And if the rumored list is true, it's not going to be added in Crown Tundra either.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
And yet it still isn't in Sword and Shield.

And if the rumored list is true, it's not going to be added in Crown Tundra either.
I'm very confident that it will be in the 2021 games or whatever they do.

SWSH has four gens of starters, which leaves four gens of starters for the next gen 8 game/whatever and Greninja would obviously be the highlight. It seems pretty obvious to me.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me any of this gets better.
Oh goodness no. The first half of the game is by far the best half. In the second half you're beating gyms within minutes of one another, and it ultimately leads to one of the worst and most rushed "conclusions" I've ever seen in a game.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I'm too young to have any attachment to Kanto, so all the gen 1 stuff is lost on me

I imagine lots of people that didn't grow up with gen 1 feel that way. let's go does absolutely nothing for me

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
> "They missed their chance to draw anyone in" (with Galar)
> SwSh outperforms just about every mainline Pokémon

Get real

Nah man, Ash Greninja, including that in the game was all something they took from the crappy anime storyline.

XYZ is notably the best the Pokémon anime had been in years lol

Dexit really shook y'all up smh

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the aesthetic of Let's Go. It was a perfect 3d representation of old school Gameboy graphics. It was so nostalgic to revisit Kanto.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kanto's so completely vanilla that to make it at all interesting you'd need to totally rebuild it from the ground up. If you're doing that, why not just make a new region?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Replaying Let's Go after not getting much out of the SwSh expansion so far.

Do we know which team in GF made which game? As I vastly prefer everything presentation wise from Let's Go apart from the wild Pokemon catching mechanic. Better artstyle, character design and all round art direction.
Younger staff who grew up on gen 1. I only remember this because I remember people on Twitter, and I believe even here, talked about them like they were genwunners.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play Let's Go, but I imagine those follow/riding animations for Pokemon on the field was worth it. Have you seen these? They're incredible!

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
But Let's Go! was fantastic. A nostalgic, pretty adventure with the most addicting chain catching system the series has ever known - made 'hunting' shinys legit fun.

Going back to Kanto and playing a fun game like that restored my love of the franchise after the crappy Sun & Moon era had nearly completely destroyed it.

Bring on Let's Go! Ho-Oh and Let's Go! Lugia, or give the queen Green her own game, I'd be happy with that too.

WauCRtM.png

Last edited: