• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

"But in a recent interview with Soderbergh to discuss "Wireless," a new innovative mobile-phone thriller on Quibi he executive–produced, the filmmaker confirmed the news to me when I put the story to him directly.

Soderbergh even confirmed that original creators, showrunners, and writers Jack Amiel and Michael Begler were back on board and had already written a pilot episode. "[André and Barry] came up with a really great approach with Jack and Michael," he explained. "And that seems to be advancing rapidly. I just read the pilot, which is terrific."

This show was so good and i'm so happy about this. It ended too soon.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
damn, totally unexpected. wonderful news

edit - kinda sad that Soderbergh isn't going to direct it though. part of the appeal of the first 2 seasons was him serving as director, editor and cinematographer of every episode, if i remember right

Last edited:

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome.

The Knick is one of the best shows of the last decade, and more people need to see it.

Oct 25, 2017
Was really disappointed this wasn't on HBO max. Doesn't HBO own Cinemax? I only saw the first season because HBO featured it on their service for a limited time.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they put it in a channrel someone watches. A get back cliff Rodríguez.

Dec 31, 2017
dude YES!! Love this show, always thought the end was abrupt.

Will thack survive? I really want Clive Owen back.

For those who are urging for this type of show, Charite's first season on Netflix takes place in the 1890s and is about Robert Koch, Ehrlich and Behring in Berlin during that time. It's very similar, highly recommend. 2nd season takes place during WW2.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
I know Quibi is a meme, but this sounds pretty cool:

True to Quibi's innovative technology in "turnstile" storytelling, Wireless blends two narratives simultaneously. When you watch the series horizontally, you get a cinematic view and once you twist your phone vertically, you see Andy's phone as your own. Footage of Wireless was featured at Quibi's big CES unveil in January.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017

For those who are urging for this type of show, Charite's first season on Netflix takes place in the 1890s and is about Robert Koch, Ehrlich and Behring in Berlin during that time. It's very similar, highly recommend. 2nd season takes place during WW2.

this was pretty much confirmed right after the show ended. though its ambiguous enough without the explanation, for sure

www.indiewire.com

Steven Soderbergh Says More ‘The Knick’ Is Coming, Reveals Rough Plan For Season 3 & Beyond

Steven Soderbergh Says More ‘The Knick’ Is Coming, Reveals Rough Plan For Season 3 & Beyond

In some quarters, there is some sense of ambiguity in Thackery's death (in this EW piece, for example), so we hate to break it you, but Thackery is dead (and that's fairly clear from Algernon's tribute to keep his addiction research going, no?). I spoke to the show's director Steven Soderbergh just a few weeks before the finale and inquired about the ending and the future of the show. "Let's put it this way," Soderbergh explained. "We had this all planned out very clearly from the very beginning."

Including Thackery's death? "Absolutely," he replied. "I just said [to Owen early on], 'If it matters to you, we are going to kill you at the end of Season 2 just so you know.' He was like, 'Okay. Good to know.'"

Owen had spoken about his reluctance to get into TV in early interviews and I asked if that was the reason why he had agreed to do the show, but Soderbergh again stressed that the initial two-season design was planned from the get-go.

"No, it wasn't like [because it was two seasons only, he went], 'Okay, then I'll do it,'" he explained. "But I just said, 'that is the design. That's what we're doing. We are looking at the show in two-year increments and the shape of the first two years is that we're going to kill you at the end of season two. It's going to be a self-surgery. We had the pictures of the guy that actually did this procedure on himself successfully and we knew how we we're going to kill him. We knew that before Clive even had read the script! Everybody signed off."

Soderbergh explained he had revealed the long-term plan to Cinemax from the beginning. "I told them that I'm going to do the first two years and then we are going to break out the story for seasons 3 and 4 and try and find a filmmaker or filmmakers to do this the way that I did. This is how we want to do this so that every two years, whoever comes on, has the freedom to create their universe."

Dec 31, 2017
this was pretty much confirmed right after the show ended. though its ambiguous enough without the explanation, for sure

www.indiewire.com

In some quarters, there is some sense of ambiguity in Thackery's death (in this EW piece, for example), so we hate to break it you, but Thackery is dead (and that's fairly clear from Algernon's tribute to keep his addiction research going, no?). I spoke to the show's director Steven Soderbergh just a few weeks before the finale and inquired about the ending and the future of the show. "Let's put it this way," Soderbergh explained. "We had this all planned out very clearly from the very beginning."

Including Thackery's death? "Absolutely," he replied. "I just said [to Owen early on], 'If it matters to you, we are going to kill you at the end of Season 2 just so you know.' He was like, 'Okay. Good to know.'"

Owen had spoken about his reluctance to get into TV in early interviews and I asked if that was the reason why he had agreed to do the show, but Soderbergh again stressed that the initial two-season design was planned from the get-go.

"No, it wasn't like [because it was two seasons only, he went], 'Okay, then I'll do it,'" he explained. "But I just said, 'that is the design. That's what we're doing. We are looking at the show in two-year increments and the shape of the first two years is that we're going to kill you at the end of season two. It's going to be a self-surgery. We had the pictures of the guy that actually did this procedure on himself successfully and we knew how we we're going to kill him. We knew that before Clive even had read the script! Everybody signed off."

Soderbergh explained he had revealed the long-term plan to Cinemax from the beginning. "I told them that I'm going to do the first two years and then we are going to break out the story for seasons 3 and 4 and try and find a filmmaker or filmmakers to do this the way that I did. This is how we want to do this so that every two years, whoever comes on, has the freedom to create their universe."

Oh :( well makes sense. It was kept somewhat vague but I get that.

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
The first season is some of the best tv ever put to screen. The second season suffered from them having to wrap everything up so fast it just didn't land for me. I'm not sure how excited I am for this knowing soderbergh and Owen won't be directing and staring....

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
This is so exciting. I loved the show, but I was really hurt by how they left it. Seeing Algernon get the raw deal at the end was heartbreaking. If they return to him as the lead character, that would be amazing. I really want to see where they can take him and the other characters.

Plus, Barry Jenkins being involved is RAD. He was raving about The Knick when it was on, and that was one of the reasons why he hired Andrea Holland for Moonlight. I'm so excited for this.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Great news. I was actually thinking about the ending scene in the S2 finale the other day *shudders*

Really loved the atmosphere of the show, somehow similar in the creepiness like Mr. Robot and Homecoming.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017

Lol. No. Intially the third season was planned to be set years later with a different cast. Possibly a different hospital too but I may be remembering that wrong.

Anyway, this is fantastic news. Even with the semi rushed season two ending this is one of the best show of the last decade. I'd go so far as to say at its highest moments it was in contention for best ever.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
last episode of season 2 was so haunting.

it's an incredible show and can't wait to see it return.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, show was well cast and directed but the writing was nothing special. It was a C+ show at best.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This was one of the best shows I watched.

But didn't
Clive Owen's character die at the end of S2 by trying to operate on himself?

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
It was dumb that they cancelled it in the first place.
I think I recall them saying they wanted to focus on more action-oriented shows instead of giving it another season, but I didn't really see much from them in that regard. Honestly, The Knick felt so out of place on Cinemax, it should have been an HBO show.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
My wife who is in the medical field just loves this show, she's going to be ecstatic about this.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
It's one of those shows that is really good, but perhaps not everybody's cup of tea.

I absolutely adore it. Amazing cast, excellent cinematography, clever and devious plots. Just awesome.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
This show was fucking awesome. It's wierd how HBO has basically buried it. Please pick this up HBO, and please put The Knick on HBO Max!

Hell, I guess there's no one else that could air it, unless HBO gives it away or something.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how this will go without Thackery. Clive Owen fucking murdered that role.

And yes, Andre Holland could 100% carry it.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, another season is already stellar news, but Barry Jenkins involvement has me even more excited

Oct 25, 2017
Barry Jenkins might be an upgrade from Soderbergh. This is amazing news. He has the right type of intoxicating imagery for a show like this.