• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
I think he thinks he's being clever with that last statement, mocking actual real harassment by comparing it to someone calling him an asshole. So it's not so much "STOP HARASSING ME" as it is "LOOK HOW WHINY THESE LIBERALS SOUND!" It's fucking disingenuous and ridiculous for like 100 different reasons, which is obvious to anyone with a modicum of sense, but that's not who he's appealing to. He's appealing to the people who genuinely believe in the term "snowflakes" and are tired of the "SJW's" telling them they can't use the N word or gay slurs.
Nah, he's being an obtuse piece of shit. He doesn't believe he's really being harassed, but he's equating being called a one off mean name one can easily shrug off with a directed and prolonged campaign of bullying that encourages threats against a person. Glenn seems to get off on diminishing these problems and proclaiming that he's the only one doing the only important work that matters. I'm done with this guy. Glenn Greenwald, even for all the good work he's done, can go fuck himself with this kind of outlook on matters he doesn't deem worthy.
Yep, read it wrong, I'm dumb. To be fair, the level of disingenuousness, stupidity or outright malice required for him to write that last tweet is incomprehensible. "What an asshole" is far lighter than he deserves.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The outcome of this so far, is so fucking disappointing and it sadly only confirms my cynicism about these big tech companies. Their commitment to the wellbeing of the LGBT community is nothing but bullshit meant to score them brownie points with public perception.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Well, it's the absolute bare minimum they could have done to even pretend like their guidelines and regulations actually mean anything, but it's better than nothing

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
whoopdee doo. the video is still up and will incite harassment. the merch is still linked and will again, cause further harassment. way to miss the point YT.

Nov 11, 2017
The outcome of this so far, is so fucking disappointing and it sadly only confirms my cynicism about these big tech companies. Their commitment to the wellbeing of the LGBT community is nothing but bullshit meant to score them brownie points with public perception.
Agree.

Only with a massive backlash have they been forced to make the call to pull monetization. Now pull the channel you assholes.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For many years now I've wanted Crowder to be destroyed. Just a purely evil person going about doing his schtick in plain light. I'm really happy to see he has a target on his back now. It's only a matter of time really...

Oct 27, 2017
Everything a corporation does is in the name of money. They couldnt give less of a shit for the causes they supposedly support.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
People-"Hey, you should do something about the terrible things happening on your platform."

"Techbros-"Nah. Don't need to."

*news sites write about the complete lack of oversight on platform*

Techbros-"Okay! GEEEEZ! We'll do something!....Why you gotta bully us? :("

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He'll throw a tantrum, his mobs will get after youtube, and he'll be remonetized in a few weeks.

Though idk why he doesn't make money from youtube, all his money comes from the Koch brothers and their assorted arms.

true

still, as I said in the other thread, I disagree with Maza's view that this is a mere slap on the wrist, even if it isn't an adequate response either - with 3.8 million subscribers, Crowder's gonna take a significant financial hit from demonetization
Not really, the majority of his funding and money comes from non-youtube sources. It's how he affords his literal mansion.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Youtube: "We're okay with this lunatic screaming at people in our lobby. We're just no longer going to pay him to do so"

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally all this does is just piss off and mobilize his shit fanbase, should have just either done nothing and let the bad PR fester or banned the channel. This half measure solves nothing.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Setting aside that Crowder is a hateful scumbag, at least Ben Shapiro has a patina of intelligence and cleverness, and Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones are good performers, however vile their politics. Crowder is so blatantly a fucking moron that it's amazing that anybody can stand listening to him.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
He'll throw a tantrum, his mobs will get after youtube, and he'll be remonetized in a few weeks.

Though idk why he doesn't make money from youtube, all his money comes from the Koch brothers and their assorted arms.

Not really, the majority of his funding and money comes from non-youtube sources. It's how he affords his literal mansion.

Right, dude probably makes most of his money from merch. Not saying that YT isn't a major source of his income, but it's definitely not the bulk of it.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Every turn in this story is just pissing me off more.

Like, go read Carlo's twitter comments and it's a torrent of hate.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
so will youtube do a double reverse and course correct? or will youtube double down? find out next time on bigotry on the net. i'm your host, subpar spatula. have a good night.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Youtube with a solid hold my beer on David Jaffe for finding a way to make everyone from all sides pissed at them.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017

LOL Amazing.

They went from
"a pattern of egregious actions has harmed the broader community and is against our YouTube Partner Program policies"

to

"he needs to just remove a link to his homophobic t-shirts."

in less than an hour.

What they're saying is... his links to off-site revenue are egregious, and harming YouTube's bottom line. LOL Fuck them.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

So that's two examples of YouTube being contradictory regarding this in what, less than 24 hours?

- They identified the content was hurtful, but didn't go against their policies - despite hurtful content being against their policies

- They demonetised him because of a wider pattern of egregious actions that have harmed the community - but can have that restored by removing a link to t shirts?

I might be naive with saying this, but it honestly looks like someone has fucked up the handling of this internally - and the people tasked with communicating that are clearly not getting the necessary info being passed down.

I expect further backtracking/damage limitation from YouTube veeery soon.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
That demonetization and remove shirts combo is patently absurd. YouTube knows the effects deplatforming has and they simply refuse to go through with it.

Oct 27, 2017
whoever runs this twitter account probably doesn't know shit about why or why not this dude got demonetized so its not surprising we'd get conflicting info from them.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I have a feeling that this half measure is likely going to be walked back because Youtube is run by someone with the intellect of a pudding cup or this is just going to escalate into a new norm where both sides are more actively pushing for de-platforming their opponents.