• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
as someone who is rather tech-illiterate: Can this be alleviated by "simply" turning up the fan via Firmware Update?
The Fans are really quiet and honestly, i find a near-constant fan noise to be less distracting than coil whine XD

Maybe even have two different fan-profles to choose from (with the lower one being what we have now)
Gamer Nexus noted that the Memory runs hot, but they don't know the limits of the operating temperatures and they also don't know the long term testing results. It's cool to have it in mind that some components run hot, but we are missing data to conclude things.

Last edited:

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Time to future proof my PS5 /s

Stand Cooling Fan Station for Playstation 5/PS5 - Auarte Controller Charging Dock Station with Cooler Vertical Stand, Dual Controller Charger for PS5 Dualsense with LED Indicators and 14 Games Slots https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LKKKJ46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_CI3UFbARPW8SW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I had a good laugh at this lmao, there are no intake vents at the bottom of the PS5 for this to do anything but make noise xD

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Some people have reported artifacting and it looks like that toasty memory could be to blame. He even mentions in warmer conditions and heavier loads it has potential to be an issue.
I had two evga cards crap out from memory going bad but it took a few years. Guess we'll see what happens here.

you mean this?
Thought this was a gpu issue?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
as someone who is rather tech-illiterate: Can this be alleviated by "simply" turning up the fan via Firmware Update?
The Fans are really quiet and honestly, i find a near-constant fan noise to be less distracting than coil whine XD

Maybe even have two different fan-profles to choose from (with the lower one being what we have now)
They're not going to give a fan profile choice.
That's not something a user of consumer electronics should know or care about.

If you really wanted to control your fan, I'm sure someone will make a custom fan controller where you disconnect the fan from the motherboard, connect it to something you can control.
And then plug in something that will emulate the existence of a fan so the PS5 doesn't know it's disconnected

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
It can be either a GPU or (V)RAM issue. I've had issues with both (when overclocking), but a bad piece of silicon pushed to it's limit can fail like that. And heat is not a friend in this case.
It can happen at stock clocks.
I had a passive low-range GPU that didn't work at stock clocks, I don't remember if the fix was to downclock che GPU frequency or the VRAM but downclocking 100% resolved the problem. It wasn't even running that hot.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
It can happen at stock clocks.
I had a passive low-range GPU that didn't work at stock clocks, I don't remember if the fix was to downclock che GPU frequency or the VRAM but downclocking 100% resolved the problem. It wasn't even running that hot.
Yeah, that's what I wanted to say, but reading back what I wrote it's not obvious lol

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It can be either a GPU or (V)RAM issue. I've had issues with both (when overclocking), but a bad piece of silicon pushed to it's limit can fail like that. And heat is not a friend in this case.
I've built a few rigs, and I've seen this before on simply faulty GPUs. Tom's right - it's probably just a bad unit, just send it back.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I remember my evga 1070 was missing some thermal pads on its memory, forget if it was an oversight or a defect. Had to order the pad and apply em myself.

Wonder if this is along the same idea, just some pads that Sony missed. (Ie not a really big deal)

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
You will think Sony knows that the memory runs hot and they know it could handle those temperatures. You have a whole engineering team at Sony and i hope thousands of hours of testing. You would think the console will be oke. And yes there are PS5's and Series X consoles that have defects, but thats perfectly normal.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
You will think Sony knows that the memory runs hot and they know it could handle those temperatures. You have a whole engineering team at Sony and i hope thousands of hours of testing. You would think the console will be oke. And yes there are PS5's and Series X consoles that have defects, but thats perfectly normal.
Technically they also did that with the PS3, and look how many have the yellow light of death. Same thing with the 360 and the rrod.
I am not saying anything similar is going to happen here. But having faith in design teams is proven wrong multiple times.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

dunno why ppl keep saying this - design faults, oversights, inconsistencies can still occur no matter how popular or talented the team behind something is.
it happens with iphones, galaxy phones, laptops, consoles, everything.

bad thermal contact on memory chips is actually a relatively common issue with some 3rd party gpu manfuacturers in the pc space, and it can in some cases cause issues.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

I'd imagine so, it's not entirely unusual for tech companies to ship out hardware that is tuned for review , rather than for long term stability, so that might be exactly what they do now certain tests have been published

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Memory can run really hot I think. Were there not reports of 3080s with memory running at 105 degrees celsius? I think I read that the point of failure is around 110 while 120 means actual destruction of the chip.

If that is the case there should still be some headroom. That's not to say that it's all fine and dandy that they are running so hot. They should have gotten better cooling.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
He mentions no coil whine but doesn't show any receipts.

It's disappointing as I'd have liked to see (or hear) his console under load.

I also wish he had tested other games, it would have also provided more variables for memory temps too. Astro is nowhere near demanding.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
dunno why ppl keep saying this - design faults, oversights, inconsistencies can still occur no matter how popular or talented the team behind something is.
it happens with iphones, galaxy phones, laptops, consoles, everything.

bad thermal contact on memory chips is actually a relatively common issue with some 3rd party gpu manfuacturers in the pc space, and it can in some cases cause issues.

Yes failures can happen, but bad design in a console they know would stand in homes for 7-10 years? I know we had the RROD on the 360, but you would think manufactures would do some extra testing or revised the testing proces. It is very rare that a whole batch of phones, consoles, etc is called back because of a massive design flaw.

WelshBluebird

Jul 22, 2020
As expected the console runs about 5 degrees C cooler with the panels removed. And yet some people here were saying you shouldn't take them off because it will mess with the cooling.

Isn't the reasoning for them so that people can't put their console straight up against a flat surface thus blocking the air intake, rather than for cooling specifically? (iei if your console is out in the open then it is probably fine without the panels, but if you push it right against something the panels make it so that it still should be able to get air in because the shape forces gaps between the console and the surface).

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Funny how it was redesigned constantly to cool it properly and it still runs too hot, worrying for the long-term.

Don't worry, the slim and Pro versions will save the day (at the cost of having to buy another system once your original bakes itself into an early grave). There's been a lot of freezing and slowdown problems happening right now in Demon's Souls during specific scenarios, and I can't tell if it's just the game, or the system. 90C for memory is pretty hot, and almost at the tolerance threshold of 100C.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I'd imagine so, it's not entirely unusual for tech companies to ship out hardware that is tuned for review , rather than for long term stability, so that might be exactly what they do now certain tests have been published

As an example of this see gaming laptops. All of them.

With PS5 I expect this to be ironed out by the time they release the first revision of the hardware.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
If there was coil whine, Steve would be all over it. The guy has more credibility than all of youtubes tech sphere combined.
Oh yeah I agree. He is very thorough (and extremely picky).

I didn't mean that I don't believe him, I'm just disappointed he doesn't demonstrate it.

I just wish I could have heard his console under load, on different games.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
If there was coil whine, Steve would be all over it. The guy has more credibility than all of youtubes tech sphere combined.

I didn't mean that I don't believe him, I'm just disappointed he doesn't demonstrate it.

Several other reviewers have show that it differs greatly between individual consoles. It's basically a lotto, leaning more towards loud coil whine than not. We have a whole thread detailing it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

He's not exaggerating when he says it will vary by system and that they just got lucky. I've had experience playing with two different PS5s in the last week, and the first one had no whine at all, while mine does. Although I can't actually hear it when playing a game with headphones unless the room is completely silent.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people have reported artifacting and it looks like that toasty memory could be to blame. He even mentions in warmer conditions and heavier loads it has potential to be an issue.
I had two evga cards crap out from memory going bad but it took a few years. Guess we'll see what happens here.
I'll definitely chime in (or make a thread) if this happens.

94 celsius should be on the safe side though (although not the best) but we'll see in a few months if problems crop upp.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
He's not exaggerating when he says it will vary by system and that they just got lucky. I've had experience playing with two different PS5s in the last week, and the first one had no whine at all, while mine does. Although I can't actually hear it when playing a game with headphones unless the room is completely silent.
I'm just wondering how common the ones with no whine are, if I eventually try my luck in a replacement.

If the odds are like trying to find a PS4 Pro that didn't have a loud fan I don't think I'll bother.

I mean I've come across a guy with 4 PS5's on YouTube and they all have coil whine!

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just wondering how common the ones with no whine are, if I eventually try my luck in a replacement.

If the odds are like trying to find a PS4 Pro that didn't have a loud fan I don't think I'll bother.

With the way stock is right now, you'll probably not find one. Unless you are really lucky. I have no idea what the odds are, but for me it was 50/50 out of a whopping sample size of two.

Aside from simply crashing, this has been happening a lot in Demon's Souls. Only game I've played so far (others are saying it's been happening with them in the same game as well). First thing I thought of was a vram problem, if it wasn't something going on with the streaming.

It seems to happen most frequently in that level, but it's definitely not exclusive to it.

Last edited:

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Yes failures can happen, but bad design in a console they know would stand in homes for 7-10 years? I know we had the RROD on the 360, but you would think manufactures would do some extra testing or revised the testing proces. It is very rare that a whole batch of phones, consoles, etc is called back because of a massive design flaw.

That´s where I´m at, too. Not saying the temperatur is good but i can´t really imagine it will result in something like the RRoD. Especially with the currently kinda underused but seemingly very powerful Fan.

(I am rather anxious about the whole system tho, but mostly because getting a quick replacement seems imposible rn...)

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Memory can run really hot I think. Were there not reports of 3080s with memory running at 105 degrees celsius? I think I read that the point of failure is around 110 while 120 means actual destruction of the chip.

If that is the case there should still be some headroom. That's not to say that it's all fine and dandy that they are running so hot. They should have gotten better cooling.
I think you are speaking about the junction temperature which is usually around 110 °C (or 100 °C) for most memory modules. To measure the the actual junction temperature needs sensors in the the die or other indirect or precise and calibrateted voltage and temperature characterics of the chip. That's why Gamer Nexus describes their positions of the temperature probes.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Some people are getting it mixed up in the coil whine thread and others have issues with both fan noise and coil whine. Though it appears that in the Demon's Souls videos it's actually coil whine instead of fan noise.

I mean it could be the fan but it's more likely coil whine due to the pitch and frequency of the noise, you are right.

Apparently it's coil whine instead of fan noise. I got confused for a bit because people were reporting both loud fan noise and coil whine in the coil whine thread but listening to the few Demon's Souls vids it sounds more like coil whine than a loud fan.

Apologies for the confusion.

As someone who has a silent PS5, is... is that really the coil whine everyone is complaining about? I couldn't hear anything until the people put their sensitive mic right up to the console. Seems like people are intentionally trying to hear the coil whine instead of it announcing itself.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018

I mean I've come across a guy with 4 PS5's on YouTube and they all have coil whine!
Anecdotal, but mine doesn't have coil whine.

As someone who has a silent PS5, is... is that really the coil whine everyone is complaining about? I couldn't hear anything until the people put their sensitive mic right up to the console. Seems like people are intentionally trying to hear the coil whine instead of it announcing itself.
Coil whine is louder in person than in videos.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
That´s where I´m at, too. Not saying the temperatur is good but i can´t really imagine it will result in something like the RRoD. Especially with the currently kinda underused but seemingly very powerful Fan.

(I am rather anxious about the whole system tho, but mostly because getting a quick replacement seems imposible rn...)

I would like to see some testing on multiple PS5 consoles. I have heard some weird issues people have from coil whine to noisy discdrive and GPU issues that lead to artifacting. It does not seem to be one problem for all. I would like to know if the temperatures he measured are the same for every console. If this will be a long term issue for the memory we would have a lot of console in 3 to 4 years who be broken.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah man they spent 500 dollars just to complain about this imaginary issue about a box you like.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
As someone who has had to deal with coil whine in GPUs, it is incredibly grating and is one of those noises that is at just the right frequency to cut through all other ambient sound, it's really annoying. I feel for anyone whose PS5 has this.

Also, come on man, you think people who just spent $500 are really just looking for reasons to complain?

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I have a laptop with coil whine. An average mic can't pick it sound that I can heard from feet away.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the PC port of Jedi Fallen Order lol.

Very strange though, not seen it happening on my PS5 (yet).

Have you been playing that same game, and if so about how many hours would you say? If not, then hopefully it is just an issue with the game and not the system, and a patch might solve it. On my friend's PS5 the game hard froze and then crashed, but for me with mine it's been what's in that video with occasionally it freezing for up to ten seconds before finally resuming.

I had the same complaint about the second video in the coil whine thread. That it was not noticeable until they were right up on it, but they were saying in person it's easier to hear and from a greater distance. I know that mine is easily discernible from at least ten feet, but the room has to be completely quiet. While actually gaming with headphones, it's a non-issue. Some were saying that even with headphones they could hear it, but I dunno. I'm wearing semi-open headphones and my hearing is really sensitive to higher frequencies like that.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So he's slightly nonplussed about one of the temperature readings.

If in 3 years time the PS5 ends up with some "Red Ring of Death" scenario affecting a large percentage of units, in hindsight this video will end up being an excellent, prophetic, companion piece.

Who knows, that could happen, but if I was to bet, I would say that everything will be fine generally.

I'll just chime in with 'my PS5 is fine so far'. And yeah that isn't that helpful either, but without time travel, that's all we know.

PS5 is a massive high end PC crammed into a relatively tiny (compared to most high end PC's) box. No one was expecting it to run super cool, there are the laws of physics to deal with, and it's still quieter than I would have guessed 10.5TF in that size would be.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Do we know if he will do the same analysis for the Series X? That would be really interesting to see in comparison

Oct 26, 2017
You gotta love the pearl clutching from fanboys over this test. This is high praise from Tech Jesus. If you compare this to some of his PC Case reviews, he's basically gushing about the PS5.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we know if he will do the same analysis for the Series X? That would be really interesting to see in comparison

In Digital Foundry's tests the PS5 actually ran cooler than the Series X, so that would definitely be interesting to see. Anecdotally, both my Series X and PS5 have been much cooler than my PS4 Pro.

In GamersNexus test, it was only the outer VRAM chips that got especially hot, the overall system temp still being decent (hence the exhausted air isn't too hot, and the heatsinks are still dissipating effectively). I'm assuming Sony has tested all this thoroughly, and that these SSD chips can simply safely run at higher temps.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
In Digital Foundry's tests the PS5 actually ran cooler than the Series X, so that would definitely be interesting to see. Anecdotally, both my Series X and PS5 have been much cooler than my PS4 Pro.

In GamersNexus test, it was only the outer SSD chips that got especially hot, the overall system temp still being decent (hence the exhausted air isn't too hot, and the heatsinks are still dissipating effectively). I'm assuming Sony has tested all this thoroughly, and that these SSD chips can simply safely run at higher temps.
This video details why temp tests like the one DF did are useless though. Also it's the VRAM on a particular side that are running hot but not hitting the point where they'll be damaged.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Aside from simply crashing, this has been happening a lot in Demon's Souls. Only game I've played so far (others are saying it's been happening with them in the same game as well). First thing I thought of was a vram problem, if it wasn't something going on with the streaming.

It seems to happen most frequently in that level, but it's definitely not exclusive to it.

When my evga card was starting to go it was doing this type of freezing and games were crashing at random. I thought it was bad drivers at first but by the end of the month it got noticeably worse and eventually started displaying pixel corruption as well.

If the issue is happening to others in the exact same sections of the level it could just be an asset streaming thing. If it's random locations for everyone there's a chance it's a vram issue.