• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolute worst fucking waste of space on the fighters pass. Nobody unironically wanted this.
And yeah, I understand children like Minecraft. Children would probably be excited if fucking Fornite man got into Smash too. Doesn't mean it makes sense or fits. Smash Bros would fucking suck if Sakurai just added whatever characters are popular with kids.

I like Minecraft and I am not a child. Your post comes as Minecraft only be popular with children. Minecraft is popular with people of all ages.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're saying. They probably could have went with Jesse from Minecraft Story Mode if they wanted a character with actual personality.

Given that Game & Watch and R.O.B. are in the game, something tells me that a character's personality really doesn't matter all that much in picking a character. Particularly if they're from the best selling game of all time.

The problem here for me, is that a a charcater designer, Steve is an eyesore (not only in its design, but also his animations), while ROB and even G&W, have a TON of personality in its design and animations. Lets not forget thatn simplicity doesnt make something bad designed (au contraire most of the time lol). Hell, even Pirahana plant, a character im not fond of, has charismatic animations build into it.

Like, its no surprise Minecraft Marketplace content partners are actually starting to, even with when they make NPCs with the shape of steve, bending the knees and elbows to give more personality to their characters (and upping a little bit the texture resolution finally). Hell, even there a lot of offciail minecraft renders from Microsoft were Steve is more elastic that his ingame avatar. But Sakurai just decided to put Steve with its exact smake shitty ingame animations to the game.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Honestly surprised it's taken them so long to get Minecraft representation into the game. Not something I'm personally interested in but it makes sense given how big the franchise is on Nintendo's systems.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Whys smash feel sticky now.

This is the only time I'll say, "I'll take another fire emblem character". I don't mind minecraft, but it's like putting an Angry Bird or a Fortnite Dab Char in the game to me.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
So basically I should just be thankful and shut up, got it, that'll teach me to ask for better POC representation than fucking block man
I don't think anyone is telling you to be thankful and shut up, just that Steve isn't white and still counts as a form of representation - is it good enough, probably not and he's be whitewashed a lot in some merchandise and fan artwork but he is a darker skinned character. That said, PoC representation in Smash, for Nintendo and gaming in general still needs a lot of work and you're absolutely within your rights to ask for better representation in that regard

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Why would anyone be particularly invested in getting more people playing Smash? It's already the biggest fighting game ever, by a gigantic margin, and is among the best selling games of the generation. Given the size of that audience there's a case to be made that niche or unexpected character inclusions could do a lot to lift a fallen franchise.
Why would we care about new people buying the game? It's already sold enough to ensure the franchise doesn;t die so that's really all that should matter to us as consumers.

I care because I want more people to share in the experience of playing Nintendo games. If Steve gets more people to buy a Switch and then perhaps play a 3D Mario game or Zelda for the first time, then it's good for gaming as a whole. Playing SMG or BotW is good for society. I am serious. Why not encourage people to at least taste quality?

When gamers only play COD games or FIFA, they are missing out. LEt's introduce more people to games like Portal, Shenmue, Journey, Civ etc.

As fighting game expert Maximilion says, Smash itself it good because it introduces people to fighting games. Maybe then they will try SF2 or KI for the first time.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with a Block man?
Being dark-skinned isn't unique to a specific experience or culture. Billions of people in the world are dark skinned, and you would be wrong (and racist) to say they're all the same or share the same cultures and values. When people want "representation," they want to see their culture, the people who look like them, meaningfully represented. Minecraft Steve doesn't do that for anyone who is dark skinned.

This is all regardless of the fact that I am happy with his inclusion. It's so cool.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So basically I should just be thankful and shut up, got it, that'll teach me to ask for better POC representation than fucking block man

Nope. Not saying that at all. We definitely need more diversity and representation in games but Steve is a POC. Just stating the facts. Wether or not he's the best representation and we could do better, I think that's a fair assessment and we can have another conversation about that. I'm not sure based off the way you're responding if we can have that conversation civilly with you though.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do we go with Minecraft, objectively the biggest game of the past 15 years at least, or a minor party character in a now obscure RPG from the 90s/your childhood which you cant let go of, which has not been rereleased since the Wii VC days... lots to consider
Imagine being Sakurai and be plagued with this dilemma every night when you rest your head on the pillow.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Should we add shitty one off character from SMRPG or should we add a character from one of the most popular games ever?

Tough choice. Really really difficult decision.

LMAO

Feb 5, 2018
They honestly need to just keep making fighters passes. There's no way this isn't going to make them a stupid amount of money. Adding to a game that already is nearly impossible to top is probably the best thing to do. Smash Ultimate could be supported and have new "remastered" iterations on later consoles for the next 10 years if they wanted. This way people have more chances for their favorites to still get in.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Someone that wasn't yet another cross-marketing deal that has very little history on Nintendo platforms.

But then virtually none of the DLC for the last two Smash releases have been any better in that regard (Banjo being the exception) and people have cheered for Cloud, Terry and Joker who basically have basically nothing to do with Nintendo, so at this point in time I've basically accepted that Smash Bros is moving away from being a celebration of Nintendo's rich and obscure history and more towards an all-stars fighter.

I still maintain Shantae would be a good choice - her visual style and moves fit with the game, rich history with Nintendo platforms, indie representation and a much needed female character.
I'm confused, why does Shantae have a rich history with Nintendo consoles, while Minecraft (which like Shantae had its games released on every relevant Nintendo platform on the market at time of their release) doesn't?

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
I'm personally offended that the main character from Hydlide wasn't included. There goes my dream of bumping into characters and hurting them.

#BigMad

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I'm blown away by how mad people are about this. One of the most iconic characters in this decade, from one of the biggest games on Switch, and he's clearly been treated with care and has brought a lot of Minecraft stuff with him. Looks like he plays awesome too.

It was also highly expected to be coming for ages. Literally thought this would be met with mostly excitement, if not a bit of being underwhelmed due to expecting it. But most of the first page is people saying it's the worst character they ever could have chosen? Have I missed some context? This is pretty much the biggest third party character they could possibly get?

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Kazuma Kiryu or any Resident Evil protagonist. The former is extremely unlikely, but the latter is something that should seriously be in the game.

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
Paper Mario or an actual PoC character that doesn't look like Steve.
Paper-Mario-The-Thousand-Year-Door-2.png

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I don't count a block man with tan skin as actual representation. It's sad if this is the best we can hope for and it's worth remembering that not only does Nintendo have very few eligible POC characters in the first place but skipped over them all (Urbosa, Elma, Twintelle, Claude... anyone else or is that it?).
Doc Louis, and Misango. Lots of Pokemon Gym leaders but I doubt they would pick a Gym leader over a Pokemon as a Pokemon rep in Smash.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Isaac, or any of the Golden Sun characters, really. They could pick one of the female characters, to help balance the numbers on male/female characters and sword/not-sword users. (I don't care about the assist trophy thing, the question is which character would have made me happy.)

Immaculate

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a really bad mod and even looks photoshopped in on the new banner. Literally wouldve taken anything else lol

Jan 9, 2018
I like Minecraft Steve and feel like it makes sense but Crash would have been cool.I already got banjo so I don't care who gets in

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Did Sakurai say in the announcement that Nintendo's choices aren't based on fan demand? I'll admit that I actually shut the video off as soon as Steve appeared so I'm not sure.

If thats the case, its probably only going to get worse from here and just be marketing fodder. I pray for those who fully bought the pass and are mainly interested in whatever leftover fan pics we have.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Steve is a good and logical addition, and a lot of people will be excited about it, but I just can't get excited about this one.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Minecraft is an old franchise at this point. Like, it's been longer between Minecraft's release and Steves inclusion in Smash than it was between Pokémon Red and Blue's western release and Pokémon Trainers inclusion in SSBB lol.

I'm not a fan of Minecraft (I've never really fancied playing it), but it's absolutely an iconic gaming franchise at this point. It's not as old as some other 3rd party inclusions, but like the Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man etc. the series will still be relevant in 10, 20 years time.

In regards to deep cuts, there hasn't really been one of those since ROB in SSBB (arguably Duck Hunt Duo too, but they were certainly well known, just a bit surprising to be playable).
Simon and K. Rool would classify as a "deep cut" to me, especially compared to something like Joker or Byleth who are just "main protag of a popular current game" which to me are the worst kinds of picks because they wouldn't have made it in otherwise if the timing was different.

I actually think Joker might be throwing off my perception of the DLC characters as a whole (he's probably the worst pick in SSB history).

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care for Minecraft but to say Steve didn't deserve to be in forever ago would be nonsense. As much as I hate to admit it, same applies to Fortnite.

Personally I would probably like Doomslayer, Urbosa, Dante, Rillaboom, or Son Goku (yes, actually) in the game, but that's mostly because I'm pretty much satisfied with whoever is in the game already and everybody else is just a bonus.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, why does Shantae have a rich history with Nintendo consoles, while Minecraft (which like Shantae had its games released on every relevant Nintendo platform on the market at time of their release) doesn't?
Shantae started on the Gameboy Color and the revival games released on the DSi and 3DS/Wii U well before being ported to other platforms. Shantae is more closely tied to Nintendo than any other platform, for Minecraft it's just one of the many platforms that the game is available on and not the original.