• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a great choice, for a whole host of reasons but mainly because it's a hugely popular character with a really creative and unique play style.

For the record, I'm 40 and don't like Minecraft.

The same take as me as an aged Gen-Xer that has never engaged with Minecraft. This looks to be an inspiring choice for a younger audience that lives and breathes Minecraft, while simultaneously bringing a unique playstyle that melds Smash with the source experience in a unique way. Looks far beyond just having Minecraft man whack Wario with a shovel.

It's a single roster entry out of ~80, that millions will swoon over, and this forum is ready to grab pitchforks.

Oct 25, 2017
There is so much mad in this thread, it's delicious.

Minecraft has been around for almost a decade now. It's fun. This will be an interesting and creative character.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is such an awesome addition. I cannot believe how many people here hate Minecraft and this addition.

Murugo

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We can assume there's going to be a a Minecraft Steve amiibo, and it's going to look bad

But I can't kid myself
I will probably buy it.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
The stage looks like it could be really fun! Like the idea of changing seasons, surprised they didn't do that for Animal crossing

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
As a Millennial, I feel like our generation has grown a certain animosity towards Boomers. Who knew that we would just become the Boomers ourselves?

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Terrible choice :| , but hey, at least it isn't Sora.

EDIT: Before my post gets into another wall of shame.

Terrible choice, FOR ME. You folks be my guest to enjoy it lol

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I really like odd characters like the Wii Fit woman, Mr. Game and Watch, etc so this actually looks really fun and interesting. Yall really think another "anime guy" would be a fresh choice?

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
A Gen 8 Pokemon would have been a better choice. Resonates with everyone rather than strictly one group.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ok guys it's been 20 minutes, I get the overreactions during the first few minutes and shit, but it's done and hey, look at it this way, there's a chance of more third-party characters showing up!
And if you want something even more positive: It wasn't a damn FE character this time!

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I'm sure this'll grow on me eventually -- there's no denying Minecraft's impact on the industry, and it's not like the avatar wasn't prime for an inventive moveset.

(That, and now that I'm getting over my initial disappointment, the trailer's actually pretty hysterical.)

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
It makes me irrationally angry that there's a significant denomination of people both on here and Twitter ACTUALLY angry about this.

This is absolutely what the internet deserves after all the memes.

Honestly, part of me wishes it was Waluigi instead just to be extra masochistic.

Either way, this is the best addition of both passes so far! So psyched for this!

Nov 27, 2017
California
Blindly buying a character pack is pretty silly
I only bought banjo kazooie from the last pack and I don't regret it at all

you guys aren't the demographic, kids with money is the market x nostalgia since a lot of those kids are now 18 that grew up with minecraft

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't care for Minecraft either, this is still a big and important announcement.

Not everyone thinks so or as excited. Not everyone thinks like you. I know it's a wild and crazy world.

I'm sorry obscure Nintendo character #53 didn't make it into your 90-character game.

I mean I personally wanted the Ring Fit protagonist, which is one of Nintendo's biggest selling new IPs since like Splatoon and a massive seller, but I imagine you're too jaded and out of touch with reality to understand that.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
The building looks cool, I wonder how that will work.

Steve is a great pick, I think people will come around after the gut reactions wear off. Have the unlimited potential of any character condense down to one pick is always going to be a tiny bit disappointing IMO, esp if you're shooting for the moon

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
xXWjkc2FbEqk14UGFlNhqnoFXOtjcFjR_9qOf0yLWXU.png

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I think it's an amazing choice.

Honestly tho, we already got our wildest dreams. Everything else now is EXTRA. And it's still able to impress.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You know, now that the Smash team is going to back to fix all the stages to allow for the building mechanics Steve will have, wouldn't that help prepare them for another character from an extremely popular game with it's own set of building mechanics...?

One that I'm sure Nintendo would love to have in Smash~

I would fucking die of laughter if Jonesy gets in.