• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Yeah, I like it. The ability to build looks really interesting and definitely adds something new to the game.

And yeah, makes complete sense for the best selling game ever to be represented in Smash.

Really don't get why people are complaining. Well, I do but it's just so silly.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Moral of the story: Don't tell Sakurai, "Surely you can't do this".

Hilarious pick! Imagine being styled on by this guy. It'd make anyone want to cancel their NSO subscription lol

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I burst into laughter when I realized who it was. The laughter was a mixture of excitement and bewilderment.

I love this game so much.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the trailer was charming and the character seems neat.

This forum sometimes, man.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The-Simpsons-Am-I-out-of-touch-meme.png
ERA rn
Basically this whole thread lol

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I was a hard no, but the trailer definitely had some interesting mechanics and I can't help but feel happy for people who did want Steve. Idk why people expect every character to cater to them.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
People here are unironically saying that Terry was a big get for Smash while saying Steve is a waste of a slot. Lol. This is ridiculous.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in camp this is a legit good choice, both rep wise and just in basic appeal. This is one the biggest gets they could have for wider audiences, and hell, it's nice to see something I actually grew up with added in

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There are definitely characters I would have liked to have seen first, but Steve and co look really unique and it's a massive franchise to be included in Smash. Really strong choice.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Wow, what a huge get for Smash. This is maybe the biggest game in history and having a rep in Smash makes sense and is pretty incredible. This is also a lot more digestible with Banjo already in. Had he been revealed with the bird and bear duo not in, I would have been very dissapointed. I personnaly don't care for him but this is huge.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
I'm shocked (not really) at the response here. This is a really fun pick with an interesting fighting mechanic and is visually very unique. I'm not sure you can have a fighting game sold on "everyone is here" without Minecraft.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
Not my thing, but I'm glad weird characters like this are getting in.

I just wish they would put weird characters from Nintendo's own franchises in, instead of shit like the boring ass silent protagonist from Fire Emblem.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I love how Sakurai was like, I dont make beautiful structures in creative mode...and then proceeds to show off beautiful creations in survival mode lol. He's amazing.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Era:
gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

My niece, nephew, and all their classmates:
gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg
Hell, I really, really don't like Minecraft but I absolutely loved this reveal. I've always thought Steve would've made a great, super fun character to play with, and we're finally getting it! Guys, like it or not, this is probably the biggest Smash reveal ever. Bigger than Cloud, bigger than Banjo, bigger than Ridley and K. Rool.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I don't fuck with Minecraft, but that's a pretty sensible choice.

Probably won't buy him, but the reactions to this are definitely entertaining

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Smash Bros has been a collection of characters from important franchises and Minecraft is one of the best selling games of all time, it makes total sense.
The character looks very unique to play, I'm interested.

Also

A5g3QUw.png

THIS IS CRAZY! The Smash Bros team could just add him with some basic moves but no, they went the extra extra extra miles

Oct 30, 2017
Dang, some of the responses in this thread.

I don't care about Minecraft, but as a character Steve looks great and fun to play as. Pretty obvious why he's in: is from one of the biggest video game franchises, gaming icon, highly requested character, and has potential for a unique moveset. He checks all those boxes.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I demand an actual recording of the sad sack presidential aide forced to explain that Twitter is down because Nintendo announced the guy from Minecraft is in Smash Bros. this instant.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Smash Bros culture (I'm an expert), but relative obscurity and millenial-appeal are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Fortnite where you can become successful by Zoomer assholes like Travis Scott into your game. If you screw a Fighter Pass character up in Smash, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by adding Geno.

What this means is the adult public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the Fighter Pass 2, nor will they purchase any of the future Mii costumes as well. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sakurai has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel Steve for Minecraft or you can kiss your business goodbye

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
The fact people are hating on this is mindblowing to me.

Seems like a pretty interesting character.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a Minecraft fan and think it is a huge get and looked fun to play!
But that era bubble ...

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lol wtf are these replies

Is this site really that out of touch?
Yeah it is

Guess you've never seen Minecraft threads here before

No joke I've seen at least a dozen posts on this site before where people express wonder and amazement that 'that pixel game' is even relevant at all, much less bigger and more relevant than every last one of Era's faves but yeah let's act like this isn't an appropriate pick that'll speak to lots of fans, because, you know, it isn't Geno

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted Dante announced for my birthday, not Minecraft guy :(
Good for the kids though.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
i thought it couldn't get any worse than joker but jesus christ

I never wanted anything from a western AAA game (Activision, EA, anything like them, deserve nothing in smash imo) and while Minecraft is the least-bad of that category to me being in smash (being that it's so big, massive and makes sense) the characters and everything seem... boring. I don't feel convinced they'd be fun to play at all and they're still too blocky for my tastes. Thank christ notch's not involved though and that the team at mojang are good folk so I can at least feel happy for them

holding off on FP2 continues for me

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not a top character in my want list for sure, but it looks like it'll be an interesting character to play as, and the stage should be interesting too.
Even if I'm not a fan of minecraft, I think it's fair to say it's an iconic video game, so think it deserved some role in SSB.
Just like Sora with Kingdom Hearts too... Next time Nintendo..? Please.?

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, this is a game that's basically this generation's Super Mario Bros., getting into Smash.

I can't think of a character more deservering than this, this rules!