• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Good video. Wish he had access to all 3 PS5 cooling fan variants, and not just the NMB fan seen in the video, so any potential differences in airflow could've been examined.

Last edited:

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
that one video was probably the first time many of the people on here had seen any content from GN and then decided to label the channel as misinformation and nothing but "pcmr". Fucking hilarious, but definitely expected. He showed off his fancy thermal cameras a while back and I've been looking forward to the content associated with it. I want to see stuff like how radiator/fan placement effects cooling in new cases/gpus/cpu coolers.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
This thread is dictionary definition of thread derailment.

Good video, although overly long to be honest for the content. I really like both airflow designs from a technical point, but I have to give it to Microsoft, they designed something brilliantly simple.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there like a single thread on Era that doesn't devolve into negativity?

Very cool video, thanks for posting.

Jul 18, 2018
LOL, people really getting butt hurt about a console vs pc comparison.
That said Gamers Nexus is pretty legit with all their technical analysis, and their airflow & thermal tests for pc cases is so legit.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
He's really not, and you'd understand that if you watched the video to the end, where he explains at length that consoles have value as an easy way to throw a box under your TV and be able to play games well for 6-7 years.

Don't get me wrong, the PS5 video is bad, but it's probably the ONLY bad video GN has ever put out in my 6 years of being subscribed to them. 99.9% of their videos are high quality and extremely in depth.

I agree, and I will add one more video to that list, which I initially enjoyed, which was the one where he was criticizing people for complaining about GPU shortages, I think it was back in October.

I mean people were going over the top with their frustrations, but it's a bit disingenuous coming from a channel that goes for the hyper enthusiast clicks by using extreme solutions like liquid nitrogen for cooling for the laughs.

Like, of course your viewership is gonna be upset about near zero availability of cards YOU showcase, breakdown, and then mad scientist experiment with.

Otherwise 99.9% of their vids are on point.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
I was expecting another youtuber I had to unsub to cus of dumb bigot shit.
But cmon man, its still about that pc vs next gen vid?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
man, the console wars derailment is so cringy.
Just because of 1 video they don't agree with.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the responses.

I've only watched a few of their videos, but they seem to put together high quality content and are pretty thorough, so it was surprising to read the responses here.

Gamers nexus' bread and butter is what is the most extensively data-oriented analysis of mostly PC hardware performance on youtube, heavily slanted towards thermals and noise. Though there's always room to argue that no single test can ever encompass performance of a product at market scale, every subject they do discuss is always extensively tested to a T, and they cover a wide field of subjects. Their content is incredibly useful when you're trying to suss out what the relative performance of a particular class of parts with lots of competitors on the market like cases, mobos, water coolers, etc.

I would guess that the people here crying like small children in public about a video game console probably just need healthier hobbies.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
He's really not, and you'd understand that if you watched the video to the end, where he explains at length that consoles have value as an easy way to throw a box under your TV and be able to play games well for 6-7 years.

Don't get me wrong, the PS5 video is bad, but it's probably the ONLY bad video GN has ever put out in my 6 years of being subscribed to them. 99.9% of their videos are high quality and extremely in depth.
Same here, GN have always been well informed and well researched, and it's the absolute best channel for this sort of stuff. The ones where I have a problem with some of his methodology and his conclusions are the ones that are about consoles, and/or the ones where authoritative sources (JEDEC documentation, engineers interviews) contradict his claims and conclusions. But that's a tiny tiny fraction of his videos. Like 2 of them.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone post a quick summary on how much these consoles blow? I'm curious, but not able to watch a video at the moment.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
None whatsoever. People drew their own conclusions from the data presented.

Mistakes happen so I don't really care much either way but this mindset also isn't correct. Global warming deniers and lots of people with an agenda in general constantly present flawed data and tell people to "draw your own conclusions."

Data can absolutely be wrong, biased, or not showing the full picture. It can be presented in ways that aren't right. Presenting data as always neutral and unbiased is just not right.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Mistakes happen so I don't really care much either way but this mindset also isn't correct. Global warming deniers and lots of people with an agenda in general constantly present flawed data and tell people to "draw your own conclusions."

Data can absolutely be wrong, biased, or not showing the full picture. It can be presented in ways that aren't right. Presenting data as always neutral and unbiased is just not right.
Everything presented was clarified and the reasoning and justification was provided too. I don't think most of the people who had issues with it saw the whole 34mins of it.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Oh, so it's cool to shit on GN now because of one bad video about the PS5?

Okay...

OP
OP
DanielG123

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Can someone post a quick summary on how much these consoles blow? I'm curious, but not able to watch a video at the moment.
Both exhaust a ton of air from their main vents, but it seems that PS5 blows less than the Xbox. Interestingly, if you have the Series X laying horizontal in an entertainment center, it's best to have the top vent facing the room, rather than having the console facing the wall of that space. Of course, it also depends on how much space there is for the air to travel.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
That little exhaust hole on the side of the Xbox is interesting. Could be both to prevent people from completely blocking it, and to affect the accoustics.

MrFox

Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Both exhaust a ton of air from their main vents, but it seems that PS5 blows less than the Xbox. Interestingly, if you have the Series X laying horizontal in an entertainment center, it's best to have the top vent facing the room, rather than having the console facing the wall of that space. Of course, it also depends on how much space there is for the air to travel.
It depends what type of other equipment there are in your rack/cabinet/shelf.

Someone with a lot of home theater equipment (and also many consoles that include ps3/ps4/ps5) will have a lot of traditional front-to-back airflow, which means it's better to have everything oriented the same way. Otherwise you end up with multiple devices blowing their hot wattage into another device, and that's kind of rude.

OP
OP
DanielG123

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
It depends what type of other equipment there are in your rack/cabinet/shelf.

Someone with a lot of home theater equipment (and also many consoles that include ps3/ps4/ps5) will have a lot of traditional front-to-back airflow, which means it's better to have everything oriented the same way. Otherwise you end up with multiple devices blowing their hot wattage into another device, and that's kind of rude.
That would be quite rude, lol.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
The Xbox is a serious air cannon. Really cool process they have for the visualizations.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Will watch later. Heat management and airflow is becoming even more important in consoles now.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, and I will add one more video to that list, which I initially enjoyed, which was the one where he was criticizing people for complaining about GPU shortages, I think it was back in October.

I mean people were going over the top with their frustrations, but it's a bit disingenuous coming from a channel that goes for the hyper enthusiast clicks by using extreme solutions like liquid nitrogen for cooling for the laughs.

Like, of course your viewership is gonna be upset about near zero availability of cards YOU showcase, breakdown, and then mad scientist experiment with.

yea that video wasn't well handled either, though Steve does seem to have changed his stance a little since then, but all the major tech youtubers really seem like they dont understand the frustrations of end users on availability. I think a lot of it comes with them being so consumed by tech that they no longer utilize it like end users. Like if you dont play games anymore its kind of hard to care as much as someone that does about the leap that is the 30 series.

Ill caveat this with yes I understand and acknowledge people take it way too far, but things like implementing anti-scalping into market places is rightfully criticized when its not done.

This video though is awesome. Like the only lessons are the incredibly obvious ones, dont block the ventilation.intake on the consoles, but its still really cool to see.

The 3080 FE mapping was at least a little more useful data since you could plan a case out based on learning how it spreads out air instead of just sending it up in a cone

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

I think his main point was that the shortages were not coming from a "paper launch" (aka, there not really being production of cards or it being announced that way on purpose) but rather that the demand really was outstripping production and made it seem that way. Like yeah, the viewers can be angry but it is not a paper launch when they made the same (or more) cards than in their previous launch.
He was talking more on the production side on that (with his contacts from fsctories telling him they were producing similar levels than the 20x0 gen).

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Most of this went over my head, I'll admit.

... but I think I gleaned just enough to even more deeply appreciate the design of the Series X, lol.

I like the PS5 too, but I'm really fond of the Series X from a design standpoint, both in aesthetics and function.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow strong overreaction to his comparison video. Steve and gamers nexus are awesome. If you don't like that one video, that's fine lol. But he and GN does great work.

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all don't talk shit 'bout my playstation. Don't you know that it was forged by Cerny in his golden tub and blessed by da gawd Druckman?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Compared to the Xbox analysis, the PS5 part seemed kinda weak. No visual test for the intake?

MrFox

Verified
Jun 8, 2020
This thread is in dire need of cute cat videos.

MrFox

Verified
Jun 8, 2020
True. Mostly rushed and yet it should have been a lot more indepth considering he says that Ps5 has a particular flow system compared to the standard ITX-like design of the XSX.
The problem with trying to talk about the PS5 airflow is that the dynamics are quite obscure and almost impossible to test in details. You can only test the end result of the amount of air required to cool a certain wattage, and some temperature readings. The rest is just theories of how it works. GN are die hard empiricists so in general I noticed that if it's not testable they don't talk about it.

The interesting part to discuss is the 3 part split heatsink, but that would require some fluid dynamics explanations, and very precise pressure sensors all over the airflow path. The weirdest is the two heatsink parts that are seemingly in line with each other in the airflow, with a split in the middle that allows a second path and mixing, there's an interview in japanese where the engineer explains why it's made that way.