• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
edit: Guess I'll retract my comment since it's not contributing to anything.

Last edited:

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Threads can be so easily derailed in this place. Smh. Anyway gonna check it out to see what's up.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Steve isn't perfect, but he is one of the most knowledgeable sources on all things PC in YouTube. Great channel for the most part.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is actually a really fascinating watch. They use some super cool thermal imaging to visualise the airflow and specifically what the flow of hot air looks like when it's coming out of each console.

It's not really a comparison or a 'x is better than y' video if anyone's worried about that.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah , this video is kinda cringe.
He's definitely one of those pc master race weirdos.

Nah, he just isn't really into gaming.

That video wasn't very good because of the games used for comparison, but there no actual false data presentet. If anything his lack of knowledge in games was the issue.

And... the actual video this thread is about is incredibly punctual, informative and well researched.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
There is something funny about people trying to discredit one of the best pc hardware channels on youtube because they don't agree with one video.
Anyways its an interesting video with the exact amount of research I expected from it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually a really fascinating watch. They use some super cool thermal imaging to visualise the airflow and specifically what the flow of hot air looks like when it's coming out of each console.

It's not really a comparison or a 'x is better than y' video if anyone's worried about that.
Guy goes the extra mile to create reliable and repetible thermal stress tests for PC cases. Guy has experience on it.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The XSX is a really cool machine. The airflow seems really efficient, with the only caveat being that its easily covered up.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
What was misinformation in the video? 34 minutes feels a little long to go through.

There is no misinformation. The data he presents is accurate. It's just that the data is mostly irrelevant since he only compares the low resolution/high framerate modes of 3 games.

Gamers Nexus is great though. One mediocre video doesn't outweigh the enormous amount of quality content they produce.

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Thread Whining
After his previous videos no clicks from me. Also who has time to watch a 30 min video on fan performance!

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Remember when we were so starved for next-gen console info that we spent days obsessing over the comparative thermal properties of the consoles?

ReggieBC

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: drive-by posting
go get a haircut hippie

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
This was an interesting video.
I actually keep my Series X under my coffee table and it's only about 6 inches above from the top intake. I guess it'd be wise for me to turn it sideways or like... slightly move it over so it's not under the coffee table anymore since it "shoots" the hot air upwards.
It's probably fine, since there's really nothing else around it, though.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
People are that defensive about their consoles? GN does a lot of quality videos on the PC side. Yeah there's bias and an audience, but some of the responses feel weird to me.

Airflow imaging was pretty cool. As expected, the Xbox is pretty simple and efficient. PS5 looks like it is much more constrained in the output, but maybe that's just because there's more surface area around the edges for airflow to escape versus Xbox's basically one top vent.

Still pretty baffling why Microsoft drilled those holes and then covered them up in the back. Must've finalized the design of the shell and had to make quick adjustments internally and didn't deem it necessary to adjust the CAD..

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
People are that defensive about their consoles? GN does a lot of quality videos on the PC side. Yeah there's bias and an audience, but some of the responses feel weird to me.

Airflow imaging was pretty cool. As expected, the Xbox is pretty simple and efficient. PS5 looks like it is much more constrained in the output, but maybe that's just because there's more surface area around the edges for airflow to escape versus Xbox's basically one top vent.

Still pretty baffling why Microsoft drilled those holes and then covered them up in the back. Must've finalized the design of the shell and had to make quick adjustments internally and didn't deem it necessary to adjust the CAD..
lol, this is mild compared to the usual shit you'd see

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020

More likely an artistic design choice. The holes are present and in-line with the port array, stopping them where the the open space stops would make the SSD expansion port look out of place aesthetically.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
More likely an artistic design choice. The holes are present and in-line with the port array, stopping them where there the open space stops would make the SSD expansion port look out of place aesthetically.
I also considered that it could be a symmetry thing. That's probably it. Even though who looks at the back of the console, right lol

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I'm assuming they're referring to their disingenuous PC vs PS5 comparison.
he made a video comparing a pc to next gen

Misinformation. Nothing on the likes as other Youtubers that I guess some of you were expecting. 😅

Y'all... really? I thought this was gonna be something serious like Steve dropping the n-word or something. His videos are fine. I unsubbed to them b/c I'm not dedicating 2/3 of my day to watching his analysis vids, but they're still, like, 90% fine. He's a PC guy and his console takes have all come out as expected for a guy who dedicates his channel to stuff he knows/understands but not what he doesn't: ill-conceived.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah , this video is kinda cringe.
He's definitely one of those pc master race weirdos.

He's really not, and you'd understand that if you watched the video to the end, where he explains at length that consoles have value as an easy way to throw a box under your TV and be able to play games well for 6-7 years.

Don't get me wrong, the PS5 video is bad, but it's probably the ONLY bad video GN has ever put out in my 6 years of being subscribed to them. 99.9% of their videos are high quality and extremely in depth.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I also considered that it could be a symmetry thing. That's probably it. Even though who looks at the back of the console, right lol
Indeed, I had to go back and pause the video because I had already forgotten what the back looked like :D

I was suprised he didn't figure out it was most likely an aesthetic choice as he calls it out as one of the only downsides despite it being blatantly obvious those extra holes aren't required. Mind you, he called out the 'emergency' vent at the top (there in case you cover the top of the machine with something) as being there for acoustic reasons so he's probably not spent enough time thinking about the design choices they made for the case (we'll see what, if any, impact that port has on acoustics in a later video apparently).

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Man, this is neat to watch.

The intensity of the airflow with the side configuration of the PS5 is amazing.
The Xbox Series X top flow is nothing to sneeze at either.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
He's really not, and you'd understand that if you watched the video to the end, where he explains at length that consoles have value as an easy way to throw a box under your TV and be able to play games well for 6-7 years.

Don't get me wrong, the PS5 video is bad, but it's probably the ONLY bad video GN has ever put out in my 6 years of being subscribed to them. 99.9% of their videos are high quality and extremely in depth.
Its also weird to see people call him "PC master race" when he is one of the few PC youtubers that goes against what some of them call "wasted silicon" (super low end devices) because he explains that they are needed for a clear market of people that need PCs and do not need high end devices.