• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Let me tell you the best thing about being editor-in-chief of Kotaku.

There's a writer or a producer on the team. They have an idea. It's something real, something they need to tell people, something worth knowing. They write it. They post it. And the readers show up. Maybe I've helped make that space for them, but, really, it's them. They did it. And I'm cheering them on.

And that's it.

You can probably tell where this is going, right?

More at the link: https://kotaku.com/a-12-year-dream-1846207022

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Good for Totilo. Incredibly talented EiC. Can't wait to see what's next for him.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Do they have any big names left? Admittedly the only names that I really associate with Kotaku is him and Brian Crecente, but it seems like the site as a whole (and Gawker sites in general) are less relevant than ever.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. He had a great run. It's sad that Kotaku soft-collapsed toward the end there. Really curious to see where he's headed.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
It's almost impressive how GMG so quickly destroyed so many beloved sites and pretty much made all the talented journalists leave. I'm honestly convinced that the tanking of GMG is some sort of elaborate tax write off or some shit because I just cannot believe that the management at the new parent company is just that fucking stupid.

Anyway, best of luck to Stephen Totilo, he's a great journalist and Kotaku really did pretty well under his leadership

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
Leaving to start up Hawktaku!

Excited to see what's next for him. Best of luck to him

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow. Stephen is Kotaku for me.

Always loved his work, excited to see what he does next.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
Totilo had an incredible run. There are so many names that have gone through Kotaku that probably owe him a lot. He seemed to be quite beloved amongst their staff. Thankful for everything he brought to the site and excited to see what happens next.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn.

Excited to see where he ends up next, but now that feels like the beginning of the end for Kotaku. Plenty good folk came and went but he always seemed to find more talented people. Who knows, now that's he's left.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
That's an unbelievable tenure for a volatile industry. Game Informer mainstays are the only comparable I can draw, and even that changed recently.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
He seemed to be a great EIC and shepherded a lot of talented people. I think it just weighs on you in that position when the new owners seem intent on destroying everything and you can't do anything stop them. You want to stick around for the people below and act as a shield but oh can't do that forever.

Fantastic run though. A lot to be proud of.

mookie1515

Oct 25, 2017
He's come a long way since being, in my mind, 'that MTV guy.' It couldn't have been easy keeping Kotaku up and running, and seems he spent most of the last few years battling the owners. Can't blame him for wanting to move on. 9 years as EIC is a long time for any publication.

Oct 25, 2017
Felt inevitable, but I'm proud of him for sticking it out with their new owners even with so many staff departures in the last two years. Really enjoyed his era. Best of luck to him. Looking forward to seeing where he lands.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck to him on his upcoming adventures. He was such a step up from who was running the website before him. He made it respectable.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
He had a good run. It's not easy keeping a bunch of personalities working together effectively as a team, and doing it for that long is commendable.

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost impressive how GMG so quickly destroyed so many beloved sites and pretty much made all the talented journalists leave. I'm honestly convinced that the tanking of GMG is some sort of elaborate tax write off or some shit because I just cannot believe that the management at the new parent company is just that fucking stupid.

Anyway, best of luck to Stephen Totilo, he's a great journalist and Kotaku really did pretty well under his leadership

It really isn't all that confusing - Spanfeller turned Forbes into an ad-ridden, contributor-driven hellhole that printed money because the internet is dumb. He's just trying to run back the exact same playbook and it may yet still work.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
He's come a long way since being, in my mind, 'that MTV guy.' It couldn't have been easy keeping Kotaku up and running, and seems he spent most of the last few years battling the owners. Can't blame him for wanting to move on. 9 years as EIC is a long time for any publication.

MTV is still the first thing I think of when I see his name. I don't even know how he popped up on my radar initially. Time has flown by.

I hope he enjoys his break and it will be interesting to see where he lands.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else remember this pre-Totilo Kotaku article?

kotaku.com

Five Steps to Total Pwnage of a Gamer Girl's Heart

So you're at your local LAN tournament and you're totally stoked about playing World of Warcraft, Unreal Tournament, or Halo for the next 48 hours straight.

God that was so embarassing. Totilo really cleaned up the place.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Man. He kind of is Kotaku in my brain. As a side note, are all these journalist figures going off to start their own patreon supported content?

DOATag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada, eh?
Wish him the best of luck on his new adventure.

Personally I cant even go to Kotaku anymore. Their site design reminds me of one of those soap dirt websites, where its just barfing content and images at you, to the point you cant tell what is an article and what is an ad

Oct 27, 2017
This was a Totilo shot to the gut I wasn't expecting.

His crowning gaming achievement outside of editorial was sitting in an airport and inspiring Nintendo to create the Switch hybrid console.

Joking aside, best of luck in the next position.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
When I think of "most valuable editors" in this industry, Totilo's at the top. Nobody out there has done more to completely right a site's ship while straddling the tricky line between serious journalism and worth-coming-back silliness. you_dropped_this_king.jpg

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Meet your new boss, Stephen!

YLOgnuC.gif

Idk if leaving EIC of Kotaku for GB makes too much sense but they do need a SCOOPZ guy lol

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I remember pre 2009 kotaku was so trash it was a banned site back on GAF. Totilo sure did cleaned up the place.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Was just having this conversation with a friend. This was the go-to site for a lot of us through the years, and now it feels like its just Fahey and Plunkett left. I don't mean that as an offense to any of the other current writers on staff, just you get familiar with the folks who's work you like to checkout.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Always respected Totilo. In my mind he elevated Kotaku above the tabloid reputation that it had prior to him. And he gave an umbrella to some truly talented authors. Kotaku is more or less dead to me now.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Mad respect to Totilo, he carried that mantle and created such a strong writing team. Excited to see where he goes next, hell of a ride!

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Great EIC. Not without some stumbles, of course. But over his tenure he hired a really talented, diverse team of writers, many of whom I still follow on Twitter today.

I always loved his eventual Assassins Creed reviews. And of course, the man who kept the "Mother 3" torch alive every time he spoke with Reggie. Maybe now they can finally release it!

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Many, many years ago—I think I was in college—I sent Totilo a PM on NeoGAF, asking him how he managed to work at MTV, because my longterm goal (at least at the time) had been to work at a mainstream publication and write about video games. He actually responded and was very kind, and then a few years later reached out and hired me to work at MTV. My career wouldn't be nearly the same without his patience and guidance.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Kotaku has had it's ups and downs, but I've always respected Stephen and the work he has put into trying to keep Kotaku honest in world where websites can not exist without being beholden to advertisers. I don't know that they have ever perfectly struck a balance between being a video game news blog, and a video game enthusiast site, but he's managed that balance as well as anyone could I think. Good luck Stephen!

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Damn. Pretty much the last good thing about Kotaku.

Anyone else remember this pre-Totilo Kotaku article?

kotaku.com

Five Steps to Total Pwnage of a Gamer Girl's Heart

So you're at your local LAN tournament and you're totally stoked about playing World of Warcraft, Unreal Tournament, or Halo for the next 48 hours straight.

God that was so embarassing. Totilo really cleaned up the place.
"4) Plant a fake virus on your friend's computer, and then come to the "rescue" very loudly and triumphantly as she looks on. Appear to save his computer from sheer and utter demise, and then hope that she is attracted to your knightly tendencies. Just make sure that while you're saving your friend's computer, he doesn't go over and talk to her first."

tenor.png

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
End of an era. I still remember the gradual shift for Kotaku going from a trashy blog to a place that put out some actual good reporting and articles. It's a hell of a run, and I hope whatever he does next works out.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Damn, hard to imagine Kotaku without him. I reflexively check Kotaku throughout the day and have been doing so over the past decade or so. Mostly to catch up on gaming news that I may have missed on other sites, but also for some of their well written editorial pieces (though admittedly I feel I've been seeing a bit less of this over the past couple years as prominent staff members have left during that time). Best of luck to him wherever he goes.

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like Fahey and Plunkett have been there forever as well.

It's odd to see someone in such a leadership position depart without naming their replacement. I wonder if Kotaku will even have an EiC going forward.