• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where would you rather live?

• Carey, Ohio

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Stephen King's Maine

Votes: 77 58.3%
  • Hawkins, Indiana

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Elm Street and you have to take a vacation to Crystal Lake every summer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stephen King's Maine:
Home of evil clowns, saint bernards, and some kind of big eldritch war

giphy.gif

Carey Ohio:

Halloween Horror Nights' location of choice. Features evil schoolchildren, a cannibal meat factory, sewer monsters, and an insane asylum with a 0% containment record

tumblr_perctunBKf1w2hpy3o5_r1_500.gifv

Hawkins Indiana:

One side of an eldritch coin with a fucked up parallel dimension filled with monsters and 80s bullies. Tentacles. Tentacles everywhere

giphy.gif

Where you moving to?

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather be near the ocean, so Maine. Also, don't want to be in a state that bans women's rights.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
We were hoping for some rain earlier today, maybe even thunderstorms, but instead it just turned into another beautiful sunny and mild Maine summer day.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I know it isn't Maine and can't believe anyone would choose it. It's basically a universal nexus for evil and casual eldritch horrors.

And then you have Stephen King's stories.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i would simply choose to not live within the borders of the united states, thanks

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I know it isn't Maine and can't believe anyone would choose it. It's basically a universal nexus for evil and casual eldritch horrors.

Yeah but all the shit happens to kids and alcoholic writers. I feel like if I stay home, I'm safe.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, normal Ohio has meth heads, MAGAts, and inbred pig farmers, so Carey's not as scary as you might think.

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf its less Stephen Kings maine and more just Maine. There's weird shit in the woods. My favorite hiking trail went by a dilapitated shack that was one of the scariest things Ive ever seen.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
In Hawkins most people are safe and the Hellfire Club+Government take care of shit.

In Stephen King's Maine shit is dangerous everywhere and anyone is in danger.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I'm not familiar with the middle one but between King's Maine and Hawkings, I'd go with Maine.
Hawkings has had too much shit happen in a small town during a comparatively short period of time and it's only getting worse.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
OP, I see you with that HHN reference but I dont think there's that many people familiar with the lore of a Halloween event at Universal Studios....even though there's a crazy amount of lore lol.

Anyway, I choose Maine. Just mind your business and you got a good chance to be ok.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Aside from the obvious problems, Hawkins seems like any unassuming Rust Belt town that by the 21st century would probably have really high unemployment and all the other problems that come along with that.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I grew up in rural Indiana in the 80s and 90s, so I basically lived in Hawkins as a background character.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Even though many of King's stories are set in Maine, the problems that happen in those stories are usually fairly localized and people TEND TO run into the monsters by choice. I think I could probably survive in Derry. I don't tend to go hanging around construction sites or sewers or shit.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

Hahaha seriously. Even if we are just going by monster stories... basically nothing good happens in Maine/New England. Nothing.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Maine for sure. Hawkins would be my last choice, fuck that noise.

Nov 26, 2017
Well I live "80 miles away from Hawkins".*
So I'm picking Hawkins.
*I know it a fake city I'm just happy after 7 year. I finally know where in Indiana it is.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Y'all need to read more stephen king because even in the novel, the scariest thing about Derry isn't the killer clown, its the people who live there. There is also a town full of literal vampires , kids with Telekinesis running around, and a sentient car with a taste for human blood.

I'd still choose it over Hawking's, but its close. I don't know anything about HHN so, I'll take a pass on that one.

Also also, for the record, The Shinning takes place in Colorado so your safe from getting corrupted by a haunted hotel, as long as you stay in maine.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
King's stuff is typically pretty localized, the average person in those towns is usually fine, except for 'Salem's Lot and maybe Derry.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Maine. At least there's the off chance I'd be a gunslinger or friends with someone with telekinesis.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Not King's Maine. The clown is one thing, but a lot of other scary stuff happens there.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
King's Maine. I'm pretty sure I could just move to Portland and avoid a majority of the weird shit.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I like how literally nobody so far has voted for the final option. For good reason, since there you just die. The only hope is that you go quickly, and both of those assholes love to make it torturous.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hawkins easily. Pennywise literally feeds on your soul. I'll take a simple death over that any day of the week.
King's stuff is typically pretty localized, the average person in those towns is usually fine, except for 'Salem's Lot and maybe Derry.
There's quite a few stories where the entire town is fucked. Needful Things for starters and you got Carrie where she goes berserk and just massacres bunches of people. Hell, in the Stand pretty much everybody in the country besides those in Colorado and Vegas are dead.

People saying King's Maine so quickly don't really understand how fucking awful a lot of these towns are in his stories.

Last edited:

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Well, two of those are fictional and I've been to the Ohio one. So I'll go with the devil I know.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Hawkins normal for like, everyone but the cast?

Though I guess there was that moment with the Mind Flayer.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
King's Maine has a fairly high body count and can see some large scale horrors.

Hawkins (I have yet to watch S4) is relatively safe and quiet unless you're one of a handful of teens.

Carey, from what I can tell, is based on theme park haunted houses. I haven't been to one of those in 20 years so...

Out of those three choices, I pick Hawkins.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Hawkins normal for like, everyone but the cast?

Though I guess there was that moment with the Mind Flayer.

Season 4 spoilers:

Hell no, besides plenty of innocent bystanders getting murdered every season, a portal to the upside down caused a massive earthquake that killed dozens of people. Now the two realities are merging.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
What is Halloween Horror Nights?
Its a yearly Halloween event held in Universal Studios Orlando. It's been running for over 30 years and considered one of the best halloween events in America because of its elaborate decorations, themes and mazes.

They've built up a lot of lore with it too surrounding their original mascot characters and mazes, but they also do mazes based on franchises, like Silent Hill, Stranger Things, and Resident Evil.

They do it in Universal Studios Hollywood too, but not nearly as well.

Dec 30, 2020
Stephen King's Maine. Simply because at this point there's SO MUCH insane shit slithering through there it'd just be like living in Gravity Falls and you learn to work with it all.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'd say King's Maine. The monsters generally don't effect the whole town and you sometimes get a chance to run from them. Plus on occasion they're weak to the power of friendship. In Hawkins the monsters are going to kill indiscriminately unless you're friends with a specific little girl and there's very little you can do about it. Carey is like Maine up to 11, all monsters and none of the benefits.

If you choose this you have to live in the town from Uzumaki

Honestly any Junji Ito town is probably the worst place to be. Anytime the monster effects more than one person, everyone is basically doomed.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to Hawkins so I can hang out with Steve and Robin.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Maine is like Gotham if you didn't have Batman constantly patrolling it. Just an inherently evil place because it's like a nexus of shit built on cursed ground, where ancient and modern evils congregate.

And then there are Stephen King's stories.

tumblr_n9fqjsKzDG1rplnd3o5_250.gif

Doesn't get old.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I'm good. I live a few minutes away from a small town dubbed Village of the Damned in upstate NY that was plagued by violence and murder for a decade.