• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
www.theguardian.com

Stephen King, Margaret Atwood and Roxane Gay champion trans rights in open letter

With more than 1,200 signatories the US and Canada including Neil Gaiman and NK Jemisin, message follows row over comments by JK Rowling

Stephen King and Margaret Atwood are among the signatories to an open letter offering support to the trans and non-binary communities of the US and Canada, as a bitter divide over trans rights continues to split the literary world.

The message from writers and members of the US literary community follows a similar letter from authors in the UK and Ireland. Both letters come in the wake of a fierce row over JK Rowling's comments on trans rights, including her comment that "if sex isn't real, the lived reality of women globally is erased".

On 30 September, more than 200 British and Irish writers including Jeanette Winterson and Malorie Blackman sent "a message of love and solidarity for the trans and non-binary community". A day later, more than 1,500 names in the publishing world joined them in asserting that "non-binary lives are valid, trans women are women, trans men are men, trans rights are human rights".

The US letter, has been signed by more than 1,200 members of the literary community, including Roxane Gay, Neil Gaiman, John Green, NK Jemisin and Angie Thomas.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck yes. Great counter to the mealy-mouthed "decorum"-first sect of celebrities who've been enabling TERFs like Rowling.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I was worried about Stephen King for a while there considering a tweet of his where he praised the TERF-in-Chief's CT book, but this quells my fear about him.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is great, but I wish Stephen King specifically would take a harder stance and actually condemn Rowling herself rather than continuing to give her works praise while also saying he supports trans people.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
This is great, but I wish Stephen King specifically would take a harder stance and actually condemn Rowling herself rather than continuing to give her works praise while also saying he supports trans people.

He never praised her personally, or her views - as far as I know. And I'd say this letter is a condemnation of her and what she stands for.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
It's always nice to see a showing of open support from more people. That's great.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He never praised her personally, or her views - as far as I know. And I'd say this letter is a condemnation of her and what she stands for.

This is true, but given that her most recent book was itself so transphobic and once again written with her pseudonym that copies the name of someone famous for their gay conversion therapy through electroshock, seeing him praise the book is still kind of gross.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can never express how much I love Stephen King, both as an author and as a person.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
This is true, but given that her most recent book was itself so transphobic and once again written with her pseudonym that copies the name of someone famous for their gay conversion therapy through electroshock, seeing him praise the book is still kind of gross.

Ok, yeah, wasn't aware of that, sorry. Still, I think it's clear what King stands for after this, and I'm glad.

Nov 27, 2019
I don't think I've ever particularly enjoyed King's work (didn't hate it either, for what it's worth), but he's always seemed like a stand-up dude. Glad to see he's not a piece of shit like JKR.

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
I really hate that the discourse has shifted to "plz don't me mean to the billionaire who is using her fame wealth and influence to harm trans folks, it's just a difference of opinion :( "

There's absolutely no ambiguity when it comes to this sort of stuff. Fuck terfs. Terf is not a slur.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
No, he did praise her for sure in the recent tweet on her transphobic book (I'll hyperlink instead of embed here). He just doesn't confront her on her views.

"J. K. Rowling is a wonderful storyteller and a gifted stylist" is definitely personal praise. Honestly for me I'm still not completely comfy with King, he makes the right broad statement about trans rights but doesn't actually call out the problematic authors like JKR, but in fact keeps praising them as if there's nothing wrong. Like I don't hate him or anything, he's nothing at all on the level of actual TERFs, but it rubs me the wrong way to praise him too hard as an ally for doing the bare minimum of affirming trans identities which should be expected of everyone.

Frustratingly I feel the need to emphasize here that I'm not hating on Stephen King since so often with these conversations, critiques are misconstrued to their extremes (particularly when it comes to celebrity idols).

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I think King can praise her as a writer (dude evidently reads a heck of a lot) without endorsing her views - even if they do seem to increasingly come through into her writing

Really good to see anyway

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
Yay! Thanks good writers, for coming out in opposition to the shittier opinions of lessers artists. It's nice to see.

Oct 27, 2017

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Anyone have a link to the actual letter? I couldn't find anything in the article and I'd like to see who signed.

Oct 26, 2017
Nah lots of British celebrities have been agreeing with her and supporting her

Yep and totally unsurprising really. The majority of our media class are all cut from the same cloth. Privately educated, Oxbridge, right wing and they all go to the same parties. Usually responsible for 90s/00s comedies that happen to contain transphobic content.

Atwood has been talking about trans rights and trans issues publicly for a while now too, so this isn't new for her

Yeah I had seen that recently, great to see

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't even aware. I kind of just kept seeing headlines about her and tuned it out because everything new involving her was going to be something else transphobic
Understandable
Yep and totally unsurprising really. The majority of our media class are all cut from the same cloth. Privately educated, Oxbridge, right wing and they all go to the same parties. Usually responsible for 90s/00s comedies that happen to contain transphobic content.
Yup, British media is pretty conservative in general and has huge problems

Deleted member 20429

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Odd they didn't have a link to the letter they mentioned in this article, but happen to have a link to the JK supporting one. Either way it genuinely made my day to see this, I feel we don't get as much positive trans news as we should these days.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Odd they didn't have a link to the letter they mentioned in this article, but happen to have a link to the JK supporting one. Either way it genuinely made my day to see this, I feel we don't get as much positive trans news as we should these days.
The Guardian are known for giving a platform to TERFs to spout their rubbish, so it's not surprising.

I got the link posted above from Pink News.

www.pinknews.co.uk

Stephen King, Margaret Atwood and more than 1,000 literary heroes 'put their names on the line' for trans people

Stephen King, Margaret Atwood and Neil Gaiman signed a letter declaring that trans rights are human rights.

Oct 25, 2017

King is (was??) actually friends with Rowling (at least in the past) though who knows how close they are nowadays. He certainly hasn't been liking any of her recent tweets recently.