• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Did I say it was a significant number? I would argue not to underestimate prejudice and bigotry as it exists in minority communities, since it can be taken as simply brushing off the seriousness of the issue.
You said sizeable.

Listen it exist in the black community, but it's treated as BS by most because it's pseudo science/history.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
You said sizeable.

Listen it exist in the black community, but it's treated as BS by most because it's pseudo science/history.

And you said "significant." There is an explicit reason why I used that word (sizeable) in this context, so I would advise you to be careful in insinuations. I didn't say it was a majority, and I've heard these conspiracy theories in enough BBQs, barber shops, basketball courts, street corners, schools and even my new job this week to know this isn't an "online presence" matter. A lot of you guys are gonna be shocked to see people act quiet on this issue, and that is exactly what Kareem is talking about. That in itself is damning, and tells me this is more than a small chunk of Black people believing in this. Seen this enough in three decades to understand that.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
And you said "significant." There is an explicit reason why I used that word (sizeable) in this context, so I would advise you to be careful in insinuations. I didn't say it was a majority, and I've heard these conspiracy theories in enough BBQs, barber shops, basketball courts, street corners, schools and even my new job this week to know this isn't an "online presence" matter. A lot of you guys are gonna be shocked to see people act quiet on this issue, and that is exactly what Kareem is talking about. That in itself is damning, and tells me this is more than a small chunk of Black people believing in this. Seen this enough in three decades to understand that.
Sizable and significant are synonyms.

Also I don't need you advising me on anything.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Sizable and significant are synonyms.

Also I don't need you advising me on anything.

And I don't need any lectures from you on this issue, and both words don't have the same meaning to me. As a matter of fact, significant in statistics (my field) holds a very different meaning than simply a sizeable population. Its whatever in any case.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
My only problem with Chuck's response is the topic is the Jewish community and good ol Chuck goes out of his way for a millisecond to defend white people as usual LOL.
Yeah that caught me off guard. I get his point is don't fight racism with racism, but it was clumsy and seemed off given the rest of the video.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
And I don't need any lectures from you on this issue, and both words don't have the same meaning to me. As a matter of fact, significant in statistics (my field) holds a very different meaning than simply a sizeable population. Its whatever in any case.
Who's lecturing?
You're the one who got testy and said you wanted to advise me.

Also it doesn't matter what you personally think a word means.

Significant: of a noticeably or measurably large amount
Sizable: fairly large: considerable

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
For people that didn't see Chuck (Don't know if its the full thing but it was posted on Twitter):

Fucking preach it Barkley.

Anti-semitism isn't a new thing (especially now), but it is extremely worrying seeing several major black voices go hotep and watching social media dive on swords to defend them for the sake of BLM. That's basically just kicking another group lower on the totem pole as a sacrificial lamb for black America. And that cannot be where this path goes.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Who's lecturing?
You're the one who got testy and said you wanted to advise me.

Also it doesn't matter what you personally think a word means.

Significant: of a noticeably or measurably large amount
Sizable: fairly large: considerable

Bruh, I really have no idea why you are continuing to push this point. I made one minor reply to your comment. That's it. If you don't agree with me, keep it moving. Am I supposed to be sweated by some rando online? Give me a break. You can move along anytime you want. I'm only responding since you insist on continuing this exchange when it has been painfully obvious that we hold very different viewpoints on this matter.

I also love how you said "it doesn't matter what you personally think a word means" and then basically gave your own definition of a word. FOH. Either way, I'm out. No point continuing this conversation when you getting heated over nothing.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Bruh, I really have no idea why you are continuing to push this point. I made one minor reply to your comment. That's it. If you don't agree with me, keep it moving. Am I supposed to be sweated by some rando online? Give me a break. You can move along anytime you want. I'm only responding since you insist on continuing this exchange when it has been painfully obvious that we hold very different viewpoints on this matter.

I also love how you said "it doesn't matter what you personally think a word means" and then basically gave your own definition of a word. FOH. Either way, I'm out. No point continuing this conversation when you getting heated over nothing.
LOL

What are the statistical odds you checked a dictionary before claiming I made up my own definitions?

www.merriam-webster.com

Definition of SIZABLE

fairly large : considerable… See the full definition
www.merriam-webster.com

Definition of SIGNIFICANT

having meaning; especially : suggestive; having or likely to have influence or effect : important; also : of a noticeably or measurably large amount; probably caused by something other than mere chance… See the full definition

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
LOL

What are the statistical odds you checked a dictionary before claiming I made up my own definitions?

www.merriam-webster.com

Definition of SIZABLE

fairly large : considerable… See the full definition
www.merriam-webster.com

Definition of SIGNIFICANT

having meaning; especially : suggestive; having or likely to have influence or effect : important; also : of a noticeably or measurably large amount; probably caused by something other than mere chance… See the full definition

Better odds than you obviously, since you apparently missed the comment when I clarified that I was talking about a statistical significance.

What are the statistical odds that you either missed or intentionally ignored the comment where I explained this? You seem to be really invested in this convo, for someone who apparently believes that I'm the one being "testy." More importantly, though.

giphy.gif

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Better odds than you obviously, since you apparently missed the comment when I clarified that I was talking about a statistical significance.

What are the statistical odds that you either missed or intentionally ignored the comment where I explained this? You seem to be really invested in this convo, for someone who apparently believes that I'm the one being "testy." More importantly, though.

giphy.gif
Because you keep acting like the word sizable and significant aren't synonyms.

You're trying to avoid the fact that the dictionary proved you wrong when accusing me of making up the definition for those words.

And the simple fact that if I used the word sizable in my first reply my point would still be the same.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Look can we all just agree that being bigoted toward any group of people is wrong and criticize anybody who is bigoted towards another group regardless of what else they are doing? Like, being somebody affecting positive change for one group while demonizing another should not be acceptable under ANY circumstance. This should be simple.

Last edited:

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017

You're trying to avoid the fact that the dictionary proved you wrong when accusing me of making up the definition for those words.

And the simple fact that if I used the word sizable in my first reply my point would still be the same.

First of all, I didn't even use the word "signficant" in my first comment.

Not even a small chunk. You look online, and it's a sizeable percentage of Black people. I've seen this shit for decades.

My original comment was only saying that this was a large than small segment. We use the word "sizeable" in a lot of contexts. Do you assume when people use the word "sizeable" in polling or data, it means majority? If I said "sizeable segment" or "sizeable portion" would that have made a difference? Its hard not to be cynical with your comments and intentions at this point. Which lead to my second comment below.

This is not an insignificant amount of people.

All I was trying to say is that more than a small percentage of Black people felt that way. Not a majority by any means. Now, instead of asking to clarify or provide further explanation, we got sidetracked into this random side conversation. Which I then used that the word "sizeable" and "significant" have different meanings to me in context because of my work in statistics. So again, you could have simply asked to clarify.

You didn't even provide a dictionary definition until I called you out on it. So I didn't avoid anything, and I already explained and clarified to you what I meant with my term usage. So you can ask me to clarify my word usage, and we can stop this conversation. Its getting us nowhere.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Look can we all just agree that being bigoted toward any group of people is wrong and criticize anybody who is bigoted towards DS another group regardless of what else they are doing? Like, a being somebody affecting positive change for one group while demonizing another should not be acceptable under ANY circumstance. This is be simple.

That's fair, and I'm with you on that. No disagreements.

lt.dinh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Significant has a specific meaning in stem fields. You seem to have ignored definition b from your dictionary.

b: probably caused by something other than mere chance
statistically significant correlation between vitamin deficiency and disease

But this is a stupidily pedantic argument from both sides. It's clear he is not using the word in regards to hypothesis testing. At the same time it's obstinate to pretend the word does not have specific meaning.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How dare you fight for Black folks rights when some of them are antisemetic. j/k

Why don't you have a continued conversation with them and steer them off of anti-Semitism?
"We defend our people, right or wrong!"
"Nothing happened with Trump, so why should we let a famous black man get punished when he hasn't?"

Kinda hard when that's their current mindset. When I tried to explain that the Jewish people have long been considered allies in the struggle for equality, I was told "just accept that you think we're wrong and we know you're wrong and shut up about it".

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SJAX isn't making a mistake. He's double/tripling down this.

He's a bigot. He's no better then every dumb bigot or racist in this country and deserves to be de-platformed. ZERO fucking tolerance for this shit.

OP
OP
Rogue Kiwi

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
I can't believe Ray Allen hasn't spoken out about this yet, massive respect for Kareem who came out against them.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
"We defend our people, right or wrong!"
"Nothing happened with Trump, so why should we let a famous black man get punished when he hasn't?"

Kinda hard when that's their current mindset. When I tried to explain that the Jewish people have long been considered allies in the struggle for equality, I was told "just accept that you think we're wrong and we know you're wrong and shut up about it".
Anyone who uses "Just accept that you think we're wrong and we know you're wrong" is going on my permanent mental ignore list. I'm surprised someone can be enough of a condescending shithead to actually say that to someone's face instead of on Twitter, lol.

Dec 12, 2017
My only problem with Chuck's response is the topic is the Jewish community and good ol Chuck goes out of his way for a millisecond to defend white people as usual LOL.
Chuck has some terrible takes, but I've seen Cannon talk about the attributes of non-melanin people. There's some broader racial issues at play, not just anti-semitism. White skin color is definitely part of the conversation I think.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely not any "new" antisemitism. We're just going through a patch of big-name celebrities getting exposed. Mel Gibson just said some shit again the other week, iirc. God I wish cancel culture was real so we could get his ass out of here.

TheGameshark

Oct 27, 2017
Catonsville, MD
Holy fuck can't believe I'm actually agreeing with chuck. Stephen Jackson needs to just be gone on like every platform. At this point there is no fixing him. Dude has showed no signs of accepting any wrongdoing.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I see there's some discussion here about antisemitism within black American communities and conveniently enough there was a recent podcast from Behind the Bastards that briefly touched on that!
www.iheart.com

Part One: Bill Cooper: The Man Who Killed Truth - Behind the Bastards | iHeart

<p>Robert is joined by Jamie Loftus to discuss conspiracy theorist Bill Cooper.</p><p><strong>FOOTNOTES:</strong></p><ol> <li><a href='https://www.wired.com/2017/03/internet-protocols-elders-zion/'>https://www.wired.com/2017/03/internet-protocols-elders-zion/</a></li> <li><a...
TLDR: Bill Cooper's "Behold a Pale Horse" (a conspiracy book with antisemitic text) was fairly influential within hip-hop circles. Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars being a direct reference to the book.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely not any "new" antisemitism. We're just going through a patch of big-name celebrities getting exposed. Mel Gibson just said some shit again the other week, iirc. God I wish cancel culture was real so we could get his ass out of here.
Did Mel Gibson ever stop saying anti-Semitic shit? I just assumed that was his entire existence at this point.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen someone destroy all the goodwill they had so fast....people were itching to interview Stephen Jackson after George Floyd now this.....

Speak on what you know?.....like how hard is it not to insult another race of people while wanting equality for another race of people!?!?!? Fuck outta here!!! tarnishing BLM along with Terry Crews....

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Did Mel Gibson ever stop saying anti-Semitic shit? I just assumed that was his entire existence at this point.
I mean, he has to put food in his mouth every so often to stay alive, which does impede the flood of bullshit exiting it. And he probably sleeps about 8 hours a day (albeit hanging upside down like a bat), so he's probably not spewing hate for at least part of that.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, he has to put food in his mouth every so often to stay alive, which does impede the flood of bullshit exiting it. And he probably sleeps about 8 hours a day (albeit hanging upside down like a bat), so he's probably not spewing hate for at least part of that.
True, though I shudder to think of what the man dreams about.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
What a moron. The more these dumbasses get there ass gaslighted the better. This is how anti-intellectual rhetoric starts and gain a bigger foothold.