• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
It's also supposed to be a successful show that people watch.

That's great that you would rather see "industry people" on stage instead of celebrities but that would also lead to a drastically lower number of viewers.

It is still as much of a "celebration of games" as it's always been. The show has always tried to have broad appeal.
It's already been a successful show from the start... you know, when they had industry people be the presenters and had actual gaming related performances. God knows we don't need the performances either, same as we don't need nor necessarily want the "how do you do fellow kids" celebrity presenters.

And no, it's strayed far from its celebration of games idea long ago. It's a joke.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
picking a dude that is constantly used as a meme is totally on brand, a lot of ppl consider gaming to be adjacent to stuff like popular movies, music performances, internet culture that's not explicitly about video games, tv, but they are all pretty much under the same umbrella

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
image0.png

Fuck Stephen A Smith and his coon ass
Wing Scarab is right

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I mean nigga is a reappropriated version of a slur , coon is just straight up a slur. You're basically validating the racist notion that there's a such thing as a "coon."

Exactly.

Coon is not some light insult. It's a racist ass word created by white slave masters to dehumanize black people, to say we're a rodent, a pest to not be listened to and stomped. Whether you like it or not, "nigga" has been reappropriated. You can choose whether you use it or not as a black person. But, there is no reclaiming coon, it is a racist word used only to denote hate and insult.

That's why for a black person to call another black person a "coon" is a serious charge. You're saying this negroe is the lowest of low, an Uncle Tom of Uncle Toms, a sell out of the highest proportion of which there is likely no return. It's such a charged term I can't even bring myself to call anothet black person a coon no matter how foolish they get. Like, I wouldn't even call Candace Owens a coon because at the end of the day it's perpetuating a racist term towards my own race.

Now, others are free to dish out coonery charges, but you better show your homework when you do because it is such a charged term, far beyond being an Uncle Tom or House Negroe.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's already been a successful show from the start... you know, when they had industry people be the presenters and had actual gaming related performances. God knows we don't need the performances either, same as we don't need nor necessarily want the "how do you do fellow kids" celebrity presenters.

And no, it's strayed far from its celebration of games idea long ago. It's a joke.

Yeah, no. You very misremember the history of this show.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Wait...what the hell is going on in this thread? Am I old? Does that word mean something different lately?! Is it not a super awful racial slur these days? I'm very fucking confused...

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.

Coon is not some light insult. It's a racist ass word created by white slave masters to dehumanize black people, to say we're a rodent, a pest to not be listened to and stomped. Whether you like it or not, "nigga" has been reappropriated. You can choose whether you use it or not as a black person. But, there is no reclaiming coon, it is a racist word used only to denote hate and insult.

That's why for a black person to call another black person a "coon" is a serious charge. You're saying this negroe is the lowest of low, an Uncle Tom of Uncle Toms, a sell out of the highest proportion of which there is likely no return. It's such a charged term I can't even bring myself to call anothet black person a coon no matter how foolish they get. Like, I wouldn't even call Candace Owens a coon because at the end of the day it's perpetuating a racist term towards my own race.

Now, others are free to dish out coonery charges, but you better show your homework when you do because it is such a charged term, far beyond being an Uncle Tom or House Negroe.
And considering who we talking about on this thread Coon is applicable.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Yeah I feel like this is all a big networking event if we keep hiring celebrities to present rather than actual people in the industry. I know it needs views but still feels weird.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't something you can disagree with. Geoff has been going after celebrities the entire time. This isn't new.
Except that I do disagree with it. There are certainly a lot more celebs already announced for this year compared to previous years. I said that I don't like it. Period.

The show is becoming more of a joke and is venturing further into that VGX territory that we thankfully moved away from in 2014.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
And considering who we talking about on this thread Coon is applicable.

Not to me. I didn't like how hard he came at Kaep, but he was right to criticize him when he said he didn't vote in the 2016 election. We really can say 4 years later that Hillary would've been the same? And that's putting aside the local officials and concerns that would've been on his ballot. Kaep rightfully got heat for that.

But SAS knows what the issue is and has evolved on it. This don't sound like coon energy:

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What about Daniel Cameron?

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.

Thread took a turn.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Except that I do disagree with it. There are certainly a lot more celebs already announced for this year compared to previous years. I said that I don't like it. Period.

The show is becoming more of a joke and is venturing further into that VGX territory that we thankfully moved away from in 2014.

I mean, whatever you need to tell yourself.

But comparing it to VGX is just laughable for a number of reasons.

The show clearly just isn't for you and likely never has been. There are other (lesser viewed) award shows that seem to be more your speed.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, whatever you need to tell yourself.

But comparing it to VGX is just laughable for a number of reasons.

The show clearly just isn't for you and likely never has been. There are other (lesser viewed) award shows that seem to be more your speed.
We're just one Schick Hydro celeb appearance and teabag away from it reaching VGX levels. Don't fool yourself.

Furthermore, don't speak for me nor my tastes. You did that from the start and I disagreed with you. You obviously took offense to that. I couldn't care less about your opinion on this nor of me.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Not to me. I didn't like how hard he came at Kaep, but he was right to criticize him when he said he didn't vote in the 2016 election. We really can say 4 years later that Hillary would've been the same? And that's putting aside the local officials and concerns that would've been on his ballot. Kaep rightfully got heat for that.

But SAS knows what the issue is and has evolved on it. This don't sound like coon energy:

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who cares who the presenters are as long as we get new game announcements and trailers?

Oh who am i kidding, if Elden Ring isn't there the show suuuuuuuuuuuucks

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
... But that happened during the The Game Awards, not VGX. And it was 2016. Four years ago.

You just proved my point that you are drastically misremembering what this show has always been.
So you're saying that it's always been trash and it's far more trash now here in 2020. That sounds a lot better.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've seen previous threads be moderated because people hadn't heard of Travis Scott before, but we're straight up allowed to drop fucking nuclear racist slurs in this one?

What even is this forum's moderation anymore.