• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed that Stellaris had updated on my PS5, and apparently the game got a next gen patch a few weeks ago:

www.vg247.com

Stellaris optimizations arrive for new-gen consoles alongside Lithoids Species Pack

Paradox Interactive has released a new species pack for Stellaris: Console Edition alongside the 2.6 Verne update for P…

I'd been waiting for this patch to play it since I got the PS4 game in a sale a few months ago.

I figured there would have been more fanfare over it either here or on news sites so I would know it came out.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
We had a little thread about it a few weeks back. Not a great deal of conversation. I guess it's a pretty niche game on console. It's a nice update though! I've been playing it.

www.resetera.com

Stellaris: Console Edition Xbox Series X Tech Demo

Clean Start Up Xbox 01:00:25 Xbox SX 00:28:26 Full Year Xbox 405s Xbox SX 93s Gameplay Xbox 30fps Xbox SX 60fps

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. This is a game I would have never have played if it weren't for Gamepass. It plays better on console than I had expected.

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
Quick question as it has been quite a while since I played it....

Is it on par with the PC version in terms of features? I remember the PC getting a big update a while back which changed the game quite significantly but there was no plans for the changes to come to console at the time.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Is it on par with the PC version in terms of features? I remember the PC getting a big update a while back which changed the game quite significantly but there was no plans for the changes to come to console at the time.
No, they're behind. I believe they've been catching up, however, and have gotten to Megacorp, so they're now two expansions behind. The big update you're talking about (that radically changed how planets work) should be in place for the console version.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

They're behind PC. It's been getting the same updates, but just steps behind.

So it's not some limited version. It's just equivalent to the PC version from a year ago or whatever. It's still getting the updates.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I have both the PC and PS5 version. I prefer the PS5 version. It has a fantastic UI rework that works extremely well with a controller, and it is magnitudes more comfortable to play a big strategy game like this on a couch.

I have no idea why Paradox doesn't implement it in the PC version. It's not like they are some small indie dev without the resources to do so.

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
They're behind PC. It's been getting the same updates, but just steps behind.

So it's not some limited version. It's just equivalent to the PC version from a year ago or whatever. It's still getting the updates.

Great!

I played it a lot on Xbox when it first came out and have been planning to jump back in at some point on the Series X.

Denito

Dec 30, 2020
I could be wrong but isn't last months patch just a "next gen upgrade" for Xbox?

vg247.com's article only mentions optimizations for Microsoft's consoles:

Today's update specifically optimizes Stellaris: Console Edition for Xbox Series X/S hardware. You can expect higher frame rates, faster simulation speed, and lower load times along with supporting the Smart Delivery feature.

And Stellaris' Twitter account seems to also differentiate between the benefits of this update to the two different console families and only mentions that it "Plays Great on the PS5" (which a lot of other PS4 games without a current gen update do as well):

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, they're behind. I believe they've been catching up, however, and have gotten to Megacorp, so they're now two expansions behind. The big update you're talking about (that radically changed how planets work) should be in place for the console version.

We're actually up to 2.6 Verne update, so it has all the free features that came around the time of Federations' release.

Next Season Pass should - if it follows the pattern of the previous two - include Federations, Ancient Relics and Necroids.

dear speaker

Apr 16, 2020
I can confirm that there is no PS5 SKU, it just runs the PS4 version in back compat mode.

How is the performance on the PS5? I never thought I'd actually enjoy playing a 4X game on console, but I found the Stellaris conversion to be absolutely fantastic. The only problem is that the whole game unsurprisingly slows down to a crawl once you start hitting the mid game, even if you scale back most of the core settings.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
How is the performance on the PS5? I never thought I'd actually enjoy playing a 4X game on console, but I found the Stellaris conversion to be absolutely fantastic. The only problem is that the whole game unsurprisingly slows down to a crawl once you start hitting the mid game, even if you scale back most of the core settings.
I've not played it since getting the PS5, I just quickly checked when I saw this thread as I got excited at the proposition. I will give it a go though and see whether it's any better in the mid game.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I've not played it since getting the PS5, I just quickly checked when I saw this thread as I got excited at the proposition. I will give it a go though and see whether it's any better in the mid game.
Anyone know how well the console games are running now, a year later? I love Civ VI so much, but I want sonething new. I have switch, ps5 and xsx.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Literally just checked this out on my Steam Deck last night during the Free Weekend on Steam and found the UI just a smidge too small and was bummed as I was enjoying what I played. Definitely going to have to check out the console versions now!

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know how well the console games are running now, a year later? I love Civ VI so much, but I want sonething new. I have switch, ps5 and xsx.
I played it through on PS5 a few months ago and didn't find it any more slower than the PC version , it plays great start to finish and the controller controls are really well thought out.
Also, I highly recommend Crusader King 3 on console too, it's a great port.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I played it through on PS5 a few months ago and didn't find it any more slower than the PC version , it plays great start to finish and the controller controls are really well thought out.
Also, I highly recommend Crusader King 3 on console too, it's a great port.
Thanks, I will try Stellaris tonight. I tried Crusader Kings, but it didn't grab me at first. I'll have to give it more time.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
I bought this a while ago for PS4 as I thought it reminded of some Amiga games, such as Supremacy and the like. However, when I fired up Stellaris for the first time I was somewhat overwhelmed.

How quickly does the game "click" and become less daunting?

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this a while ago for PS4 as I thought it reminded of some Amiga games, such as Supremacy and the like. However, when I fired up Stellaris for the first time I was somewhat overwhelmed.

It takes about an hour or two to grasp.it is by far the easiest Paradox game to wrap your head around

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Will be by next year when Overlord hits. Nemesis just came out and current estimates put Aquatics (along with 3.1 and 3.2 updates) out around August/September. We're generally a year or so behind.

Honestly, it's insane how they've managed to get pretty much everything on previous gen hardware. Well impressed.

I'm not really one for strategy games (though I played the shit out of Supremacy back in the day), but Stellaris got its hooks in me after a few aborted attempts. Took me longer to get it, but it's worth it. Dive in, let yourself make mistakes, and definitely take a ganders at this or similar to get the gist (it's for the PC but most of the basics are applicable):

m.youtube.com

The Complete Idiot's Guide To Stellaris 3.4

This is a quick start guide to Stellaris where we will learn how to play Stellaris in 2022. If you are new to Stellaris or need a starter guide this is it! I...

It takes about an hour or two to grasp.it is by far the easiest Paradox game to wrap your head around

It may be the easiest Paradox game but that's not saying much. Like saying it's the dumbest Professor at MIT.

Took me more than a couple of hours to grasp too. I've had this since release and have only 'won' two games 😄 (I'm right in the middle of that second game, but given the FE's are pathetic and I'm galactic emperor, I'm happy to count those eggs).

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021
I have both the PC and PS5 version. I prefer the PS5 version. It has a fantastic UI rework that works extremely well with a controller, and it is magnitudes more comfortable to play a big strategy game like this on a couch.

I have no idea why Paradox doesn't implement it in the PC version. It's not like they are some small indie dev without the resources to do so.

Your crazy. I've tried both and got immediately fed up trying to find stuff on the console versions. It's miraculous that they got it playable there, but I would never choose it over mouse and keyboard or the gsteamdeck/steam controller.

Also no fanfare because 99.9% of the fanbase is on pc and they're talking about the latest expansion.

Last edited:

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Your crazy. I've tried both and got immediately fed up trying to find stuff on the console versions. It's miraculous that they got it playable there, but I would never choose it over mouse and keyboard or the gsteamdeck/steam controller.

Also no fanfare because 99.9% of the fanbase is on pc and they're talking about the latest expansion.

The console UI is ace. Took a while but I can speed around everything pretty quickly these days.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Wow that video comparison. It was really a slideshow like that in late game on previous gen? I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the anemic CPUs but dayum.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I tried it for a bit now.

This may sound weird, but I like turns like in civ better than bars filling. Hmm…

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What will the xCloud version be like? Will it be running the unenhanced One S version?

I read that any One X series enhanced games get zero benefits when run on a Series S, and xCloud apparently runs as a Series S....

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I love this game, I need to get season pass 3 & 4

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Oh man I adored that game. I would say Stellaris is way more complex than that. But I have not played it enough to really give a helpful opinion.
Finally I got the game and man. Yes, it's more complex, but it's like the perfect evolution, lots of gameplay elements I only saw on Ascendancy are used and expanded here. I already played 20h and from the top on my head I can remember:

- Passing days with different velocities and stopping to make actions
- Huge research tree unlocking structures, buildings, ships...
- Orbital structures like base stations, habitats, etc.
- Galaxy view with lines connecting stars and solar system view to make combats, look on planets or stars.
- Big chunk of the game based on alien discovery and relations, with some being nice and some just assholes that will make your blood boil.
- Different types of planets, colonisation, invasions, terraforming, ruins, atmospheres that suit each race...
- Planet management with energy, minerals and food/people (and much more) emphasis.
- Random events stopping the pass of time and requesting yo to take action, with different outcomes.
- Defensive and observation structures.

Man, it's like I called the devs and told them what I wanted from a modern Ascendancy game. I wish auto-manage on planets worked better (they just do 1-2 things and stop)

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Finally I got the game and man. Yes, it's more complex, but it's like the perfect evolution, lots of gameplay elements I only saw on Ascendancy are used and expanded here. I already played 20h and from the top on my head I can remember:

- Passing days with different velocities and stopping to make actions
- Huge research tree unlocking structures, buildings, ships...
- Orbital structures like base stations, habitats, etc.
- Galaxy view with lines connecting stars and solar system view to make combats, look on planets or stars.
- Big chunk of the game based on alien discovery and relations, with some being nice and some just assholes that will make your blood boil.
- Different types of planets, colonisation, invasions, terraforming, ruins, atmospheres that suit each race...
- Planet management with energy, minerals and food/people (and much more) emphasis.
- Random events stopping the pass of time and requesting yo to take action, with different outcomes.
- Defensive and observation structures.

Man, it's like I called the devs and told them what I wanted from a modern Ascendancy game. I wish auto-manage on planets worked better (they just do 1-2 things and stop)
Dammit you are making want to play it again LOL