• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
I'm having some fears now reading this thread regarding the 0 anime. Fearing that as an anime-only watcher it might be quite confusing to follow then. Just hoping they will find some good middle ground to follow for this adaptation then, if that's even possible.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot this was a thing.

Looking forward to it, the original series and movie were both great.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I'm having some fears now reading this thread regarding the 0 anime. Fearing that as an anime-only watcher it might be quite confusing to follow then. Just hoping they will find some good middle ground to follow for this adaptation then, if that's even possible.

I think the industry has done a great job with it in the past with shows like he original Steins;Gate, Grisaia and Clannad, so I have faith.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I think the industry has done a great job with it in the past with shows like he original Steins;Gate, Grisaia and Clannad, so I have faith.
Haven't watched Grisaia yet, but their Rewrite adaptation was... a disaster. At least Rewrite: Terra was better since it didn't have deviations.

Talking about that, did Robotic;Notes and Chaos;Head have a different style compared to Steins;Gate? In the original Steins;Gate, you could skip the other heroines routes and go straight to Mayuri or Kurisu ending; Devil on the G-String was almost the same as Steins;Gate. Visual novels like Rewrite or Clannad, depending on your choices, you would be locked to one of the heroines routes. I assume Steins;Gate Zero follows a similar pattern like the latter VNs I mentioned.

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
Less than two days till the first episode, can't wait!
I must resist reading the VN since I'm not supposed to have time for VNs.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Looking at the production credits I think the adaptation of the VN is in good hands and White Fox's output has been pretty good.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Haven't watched Grisaia yet, but their Rewrite adaptation was... a disaster. At least Rewrite: Terra was better since it didn't have deviations.

Talking about that, did Robotic;Notes and Chaos;Head have a different style compared to Steins;Gate? In the original Steins;Gate, you could skip the other heroines routes and go straight to Mayuri or Kurisu ending; Devil on the G-String was almost the same as Steins;Gate. Visual novels like Rewrite or Clannad, depending on your choices, you would be locked to one of the heroines routes. I assume Steins;Gate Zero follows a similar pattern like the latter VNs I mentioned.

Uggh, yeah, I forgot about Rewrite..... It was so bad that I never watched S2.

Little Busters was good as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Will this have Dr.Pepper?

I'm only in if it has Dr.Pepper. After all, it is an intellectual drink only for the chosen ones

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm to play the game first or watch the anime...

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

(I watched the anime versions of these) Chaos;Head is garbo and Robotic;Notes suffers from just not doing a lot with an interesting premise. Lotta wasted potential with robotic;notes, doesn't help that the actual story takes fucking forever to get going.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Not watching myself (haven't seen the original's anime either), but I'm curious to hear about how they adapt it. I actually liked the VN more than most people (which is to say I thought it was pretty good), so I hope they handle it well and include certain things I was fond of, but I'm not sure that'll be the case.

I haven't played R;N or C;H Noah, but the original C;H is basically just the last chapter's choices deciding which of two endings you get, and then you can replay making specific choices to get a final ending (which has new information but is, uh, not at all "true" or "good"). I believe Noah is more like C;C (which I'm very early on in currently) in that you instead do the first ending and then get heroine endings based on your choices; no idea if Noah has a true ending beyond that or if it includes that original different ending, though.

0's structure is a little different than those you mentioned, in any case. I'll tag this, since part of it vaguely implies something about the story.

It's just a tree of binary branching choices and you have to have seen a specific other ending before you can get the true ending, with that other ending being on the opposite side of the first choice.

(Also, though it's been a loooong time since I played it so maybe I'm misremembering specifics, but Clannad's weird in that it requires you to see most of the other heroine endings but then there's a lengthy entire other part of the game instead of just a true end.)

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any news on the simuldub date?

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
0 is as mentioned also way darker and serious as well. Has some light moments but it's pretty much misery despite all the attempts at laughs and dr.p right now.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's good.

Been in ages since watching the OG anime.

PvMomix.gif

Ailyo

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think that the game does a pretty great job at fleshing out some of the characters from the original.
But I'm not a big fan of some of the new characters.
Let's see how this adaption goes.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost done with the VN, good timing. I love this universe so much, I'm glad there's something to look forward to when I finish the VN.

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017
already lower your expectations.

0 is a great ride, but it's nowhere close to the original.

I must be one of the few who likes it a bit more. Apart from the reused character drawings that is.
I actually think that the game does a pretty great job at fleshing out some of the characters from the original.
But I'm not a big fan of some of the new characters.
Let's see how this adaption goes.

What characters did you not like?
You best not be hating on Maho! >:(

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I must be one of the few who likes it a bit more. Apart from the reused character drawings that is.

What characters did you not like?
You best not be hating on Maho! >:(
It was nice to see all the characters again in 0 as well as a few of the new characters (Maho is the best). But I don't think it lives up to the potential of the original due to its need to wrap back around to the original and some bizarre plot and character choices.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I meant that it is airing on Thursday.

I'll find it buried online somewhere. It may be a Wed launch in NA:

Listed below are Aniplus-Asia's finalized simulcasts for April 2018 so far:
• Adapted from the popular visual novel of 5pb. and Nitroplus, Steins;Gate 0 is a sci-fi sequel to popular anime series, Steins;Gate. Continuing in the timeline after what happened in Steins;Gate, where the eccentric scientist Okabe Rintaro failed to save Makise Kurisu and fell into depression. However, an acquaintance of Makise Kurisu approaches him and is being pulled back into the past.
  • Premiere: 12 April 2018, THU 02:30 [01:30 id/th]

Steins;Gate 0 will premiere in Japan on Tokyo MX, TV Aichi, KBS Kyoto, Sun TV, and TV Q Kyuushuu on April 11, and it will also air on AT-X, BS11, and Tochigi TV. AbemaTV wll stream the series beginning on April 11. Retailers Sofmap and Neowing are listing the series with 23 broadcast episodes and one unaired episode that will ship on home video.

Crunchyroll will stream the series with English subtitles as it airs in Japan and Funimtion will stream an English dub.

It will be dubbed:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...including-same-day-tokyo-ghoul-re-dub/.129655

"FUNimation Entertainment announced nine titles for its spring seasonal dub lineup on Wednesday. The following series will stream with English dubs during the spring season:

Crunchyroll announced that it will stream all of the above series except Tokyo Ghoul:re and Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2202"

Hold on, my head is spinning..... I cannot find a concrete date... ANYWHERE!

Nov 15, 2017
Oh my god it's nearly here. I don't watch that much anime, but Steins Gate was fucking great. My only worry is that it's been so long since I've seen the first series - I only just barely kept up with the timeline stuff and a lot of it went over my head even at the time, so I worry if I watch 0 now, i'm not really going to understand what's going on. That kind of thing annoys me. Anyone got a good summary of events I could check out?

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I'll find it buried online somewhere. It may be a Wed launch in NA:

• Adapted from the popular visual novel of 5pb. and Nitroplus, Steins;Gate 0 is a sci-fi sequel to popular anime series, Steins;Gate. Continuing in the timeline after what happened in Steins;Gate, where the eccentric scientist Okabe Rintaro failed to save Makise Kurisu and fell into depression. However, an acquaintance of Makise Kurisu approaches him and is being pulled back into the past.

Steins;Gate 0 will premiere in Japan on Tokyo MX, TV Aichi, KBS Kyoto, Sun TV, and TV Q Kyuushuu on April 11, and it will also air on AT-X, BS11, and Tochigi TV. AbemaTV wll stream the series beginning on April 11. Retailers Sofmap and Neowing are listing the series with 23 broadcast episodes and one unaired episode that will ship on home video.

Crunchyroll will stream the series with English subtitles as it airs in Japan and Funimtion will stream an English dub.

It will be dubbed:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...including-same-day-tokyo-ghoul-re-dub/.129655

"FUNimation Entertainment announced nine titles for its spring seasonal dub lineup on Wednesday. The following series will stream with English dubs during the spring season:

Crunchyroll announced that it will stream all of the above series except Tokyo Ghoul:re and Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2202"

Hold on, my head is spinning..... I cannot find a concrete date... ANYWHERE!
I know! I've been scouring the internet and can't find anything in stone. I would have thought Funimation/Crunchyroll would be all over it considering how popular Steins;Gate is popular in the US.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I know! I've been scouring the internet and can't find anything in stone. I would have thought Funimation/Crunchyroll would be all over it considering how popular Steins;Gate is popular in the US.

Funi has it included as part of their simuldub releases, but those aren't "same day" and usually lag behind by a week.

This is the most recent notification/press release I can find, which is where the 4/12 date comes from:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pr...iplus-asia-to-simulcast-steins-gate-0/.130129

"
Steins;Gate 0 will bring to you unexpected anguish from the characters, and watch as more tragedies unfold.

• New Episodes: THUs, 02:30 [01:30 id/th]
  • Encore: THUs, 23:00 [22:00 id/th]
More Info: https://www.Aniplus-Asia.com/show/steinsgate-0/

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Based on this it seems to be airing on Cruchyroll tomorrow?
http://www.senpai.moe/?season=spring2018&zone=America/New_York&mode=calendar&air=stream

No clue when it will actually pop up on the site tho.

it's kinda funny, how this all works.

I asked in the anime OT and got the below response:

Crunchyroll has yet to detail when and in what regions theyll be streaming it. see: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1016913/spring-2018-simulcasts

I imagine it will be formally announced later today or tomorrow.

I guess we are still in a waiting pattern.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Nice of them to announce airing times less than a day in advance.

I've only been watching anime for a few years now, and yeah, it still amazing how last minute everything is in the industry.

At least we know it will be on Crunchy and will get a Dub on Funi:

"On Funimation, Steins;Gate 0 will be exclusive to the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Ireland. Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory will be available in the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Funimation has not yet announced regions for its other titles. Crunchyroll has not confirmed regional availability on any of the titles."

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god it's nearly here. I don't watch that much anime, but Steins Gate was fucking great. My only worry is that it's been so long since I've seen the first series - I only just barely kept up with the timeline stuff and a lot of it went over my head even at the time, so I worry if I watch 0 now, i'm not really going to understand what's going on. That kind of thing annoys me. Anyone got a good summary of events I could check out?

I can give you largely what you need, as I'm not sure you need a full summary of the original anime/game to remember what you need to know for 0, though someone else can provide it if needed. Actually, Wikipedia's summary for the VN seems surprisingly decent as I referenced it now to remind myself of some things.

Though obviously the same characters return and so you need to know generally what happened in the original, a lot of the time travel antics aren't as relevant. I think the following heavy spoilers for the end of Steins;Gate are what you need to remember to be solid. To explain this I also need to spoil the very very very start/premise of 0, such that I'm guessing that alternate version of 23 probably fully covered this and people posting already largely know it, but I'm still warning for that too just in case. I should again say I haven't seen the show so maybe some small things differ, but since this is all very relevant to 0 I don't think that'll matter.

(EDIT: well, the OP actually says more about the start of 0 than I did so maybe I don't even need to warn for that, hah; I think 23's alternate version coveres up to what the OP says, of course...)

So the original Steins;Gate started with Okabe meeting Kurisu (who had apparently already met him earlier that day) at a conference about time travel. He ends up finding her seemingly dead body later that day, and then sends the D-mail that started everything and brought him to the Alpha attractor field. Once Okabe undid all his D-mails, he returned to that worldline and the Beta attractor field, saving Mayuri but dooming Kurisu as she will have died already.

However, Suzuha returns from the future to tell Okabe that saving the future requires saving Kurisu. He has two chances to time travel to save her from being killed by her father, who will then steal her time travel theory. He time travels to prevent this, and fails so badly that he accidentally kills Kurisu himself. He returns to the present traumatized, only to be sent a message from his future self encouraging him and telling him that he just needs to fake Kurisu's death so he can trick his past self into having seen her body without her actually having died. He manages to pull this off and saves the time travel theory, which prevents World War III, obviously saves Kurisu, and keeps Mayuri safe as well. He has reached Steins Gate.

However, this of course means there was a worldline where no encouraging message was received. To tell your past self not to fail, you have to have failed. There is a worldline where Okabe remained so traumatized by having killed Kurisu that he did not use his second chance to time travel. Kurisu is truly dead, and the time travel theory remained stolen.

Which is to say, welcome to 0.

...beyond that, it is probably important (to a varying degree depending on what they adapt) to remember Mr. Braun and Moeka being Rounders. Don't forget that Kurisu was doing neuroscience research (fun fact: a paper of hers is in Chaos;Head) in America before the events of the original, or that Suzuha Amane is Daru's daughter. Otherwise I thiiiink merely remembering most of the characters should be fine.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I can give you largely what you need, as I'm not sure you need a full summary of the original anime/game to remember what you need to know for 0, though someone else can provide it if needed. Actually, Wikipedia's summary for the VN seems surprisingly decent as I referenced it now to remind myself of some things.

Though obviously the same characters return and so you need to know generally what happened in the original, a lot of the time travel antics aren't as relevant. I think the following heavy spoilers for the end of Steins;Gate are what you need to remember to be solid. To explain this I also need to spoil the very very very start/premise of 0, such that I'm guessing that alternate version of 23 probably fully covered this and people posting already largely know it, but I'm still warning for that too just in case. I should again say I haven't seen the show so maybe some small things differ, but since this is all very relevant to 0 I don't think that'll matter.

(EDIT: well, the OP actually says more about the start of 0 than I did so maybe I don't even need to warn for that, hah; I think 23's alternate version coveres up to what the OP says, of course...)

So the original Steins;Gate started with Okabe meeting Kurisu (who had apparently already met him earlier that day) at a conference about time travel. He ends up finding her seemingly dead body later that day, and then sends the D-mail that started everything and brought him to the Alpha attractor field. Once Okabe undid all his D-mails, he returned to that worldline and the Beta attractor field, saving Mayuri but dooming Kurisu as she will have died already.

However, Suzuha returns from the future to tell Okabe that saving the future requires saving Kurisu. He has two chances to time travel to save her from being killed by her father, who will then steal her time travel theory. He time travels to prevent this, and fails so badly that he accidentally kills Kurisu himself. He returns to the present traumatized, only to be sent a message from his future self encouraging him and telling him that he just needs to fake Kurisu's death so he can trick his past self into having seen her body without her actually having died. He manages to pull this off and saves the time travel theory, which prevents World War III, obviously saves Kurisu, and keeps Mayuri safe as well. He has reached Steins Gate.

However, this of course means there was a worldline where no encouraging message was received. To tell your past self not to fail, you have to have failed. There is a worldline where Okabe remained so traumatized by having killed Kurisu that he did not use his second chance to time travel. Kurisu is truly dead, and the time travel theory remained stolen.

Which is to say, welcome to 0.

...beyond that, it is probably important (to a varying degree depending on what they adapt) to remember Mr. Braun and Moeka being Rounders. Don't forget that Kurisu was doing neuroscience research (fun fact: a paper of hers is in Chaos;Head) in America before the events of the original, or that Suzuha Amane is Daru's daughter. Otherwise I thiiiink merely remembering most of the characters should be fine.

Does the synopsis in the OP contain spoilers for 0?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Does the synopsis in the OP contain spoilers for 0?

I'd say "not really"? I was just being extra cautious since I assumed some people might want to go in as blind as possible as I sometimes want to, but I don't think you included anything 23B didn't so if you're assuming people saw that you're probably solid (and maybe such people shouldn't read OP summaries anyway then). I know this because I accidentally saw the brief Wikipedia description of 23B (I was wondering how far a friend watching the show was event-wise and so was looking at the episode list) before I played 0 and it had some of those details, hah.

While I did wish I hadn't seen it at the time, looking at things now I'm pretty sure those details are all over the product descriptions and such for 0, so it's not like they were trying to hide any of it. Which makes sense, since they're also things that happen extremely early on, so at worst you're lightly spoiling the first episode's setup. And if it has an OP video that plays during the first episode it'll probably do that itself anyway, honestly.