• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
as a heads up, the arctis pro wireless goes on sale for like 150$ quite often and is excellent for that price if you can catch one and dont care about spending bit extra

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I have the Arctis 3 that I've been using for a couple years now on PS4. I bought the PULSE 3D for the PS5. The microphone on the PULSE is absolutely godawful. If you talk to people while playing games, you do not want that headset. Period. Full stop.

However, if you never use a mic, then because it's wireless and it sounds great, you can safely buy the PULSE 3D. I like it a little more than the Arctis 3 (which is wired to the controller).

Jun 23, 2019
This is weird to see. Audio chat quality seems exactly the same for me. Using the pulse 3d on a PS5 my friends say I sound my clearer then my old platinums. Im pretty quiet and sometimes people don't understand me in the platinums. Haven't had an issue at all with the pulse and I even cranked down the sensitivity.

This. I'm not understanding where this is coming from. I posted about this before but I tried a friend's Arctis 7's playing Miles Morales and Call of Duty on his PS5 and then swapped over using my 3D Pulses. The difference was like night and day to me both sound and voice chat wise with me siding with the 3D Pulses. YMMV, but I wouldn't jump on the bandwagon that the Arctis is so much better than the Pulses when for me personally, they were a step down.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
as a heads up, the arctis pro wireless goes on sale for like 150$ quite often and is excellent for that price if you can catch one and dont care about spending bit extra

I don't think I've ever seen the Arctis Pro Wireless for on sale for $150. We're talking about the $330 MSRP one right?

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
This. I'm not understanding where this is coming from. I posted about this before but I tried a friend's Arctis 7's playing Miles Morales and Call of Duty on his PS5 and then swapped over using my 3D Pulses. The difference was like night and day to me both sound and voice chat wise with me siding with the 3D Pulses. YMMV, but I wouldn't jump on the bandwagon that the Arctis is so much better than the Pulses when for me personally, they were a step down.

Agreed. More or less same experience here. I also preferred the sound from the Pulse 3Ds. To be fair I can't speak to mic quality at all as I'm not much of an online gamer and haven't even tried the mic yet, but I liked the sound profile better on the Pulse 3Ds. That being said, it is true that they don't get as loud as the Arctis 7s. The monitor feature is nice to be able to hear other people calling you/etc during gameplay even if you're not actively using the mic.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish Amazon would get the Arctis 7x already as I have gift card credit on there. I guess Steelseries has some sort of exclusivity deal with Walmart for the 7x?

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I don't think I've ever seen the Arctis Pro Wireless for on sale for $150. We're talking about the $330 MSRP one right?
Indeed we are, I bought mine for 150€ few years back and seen em for a similar price a couple of times after as well, and the normal price is 300€ or higher
this is from Finnish stores only:
qFYdDhz.png

Last edited:

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
How easy is it to move the 7x set around between XSX, PS5, and numerous PCs? Assuming XSX is integrated from the jump, the dongle goes inside the PS5, and you can wire up to any PC ?
You get one dongle for all devices and the only caveat is that if you use Xbox you set the switch to Xbox (green) - everything else switch to white.

So unplug, check switch, plug in and away you go - no pairing or anything.

I was using a USB switch so I only had to touch the dongle if switching to or from Xbox but was getting odd cut-outs so have just gone to switching the dongle between devices.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I tried the hyper x and binned them mic might be good, hated the headset and audio though. Also has a boom anything hidden mic vs boom is going to sound worse. At the end of it all I couldn't care less if people hear me exactly how I sound as long as they can hear me. If it's important to you thats fine. But it's silly to compare a boom to a hidden mic and call it trash, it's an entirely different beast.

Well I think it's worth bringing up, people buy headsets to be able to communicate and yet my friends are literally trying to return theirs because they can't communicate effectively in our parties. I've had much better audio quality from hidden mics in the past and as I say, I've had better mic quality from tacky things like earbuds.

It sounds worse than the mic in the Dual Sense itself.

Not an ideal comparison as it's two different people, but I've had the same experience in our parties, when they switch to any other mic that they have available, including the mic built into the Dual Sense itself, you seem to get considerably better audio quality.

For me, that's just not an acceptable quality at a £90 price point. I literally couldn't communicate with people like that. I play a lot of competitive games and I can't have people missing my coms because they're muffled and muddy.

Here's another comparison apparently from an ERA member, again the reddit thread is filled with posts saying the quality is poor.

But whatever you're happy with at the end of the day. It doesn't match the quality of mics that cost $10, so I'd say it's terrible, but if you're happy with it then it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed we are, I bought mine for 150€ few years back and seen em for a similar price a couple of times after as well, and the normal price is 300€ or higher
this is from Finnish stores only:
qFYdDhz.png

Damn that's a killer deal. I honestly can't recall if it's ever gone that low in US, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Well I think it's worth bringing up, people buy headsets to be able to communicate and yet my friends are literally trying to return theirs because they can't communicate effectively in our parties. I've had much better audio quality from hidden mics in the past and as I say, I've had better mic quality from tacky things like earbuds.

It sounds worse than the mic in the Dual Sense itself.

Not an ideal comparison as it's two different people, but I've had the same experience in our parties, when they switch to any other mic that they have available, including the mic built into the Dual Sense itself, you seem to get considerably better audio quality.

For me, that's just not an acceptable quality at a £90 price point. I literally couldn't communicate with people like that. I play a lot of competitive games and I can't have people missing my coms because they're muffled and muddy.

Here's another comparison apparently from an ERA member, again the reddit thread is filled with posts saying the quality is poor.

But whatever you're happy with at the end of the day. It doesn't match the quality of mics that cost $10, so I'd say it's terrible, but if you're happy with it then it doesn't matter.

It's awful, we couldn't believe how bad it sounded when our friend was in the party.

My Arctis 9 just arrived, excited to have a set that works with next gen and my PC

Oct 31, 2017
Shout out to all the people mentioning the arctis 7x. Love that I now have a headset for everything and it works great on the ps5. Sound quality is leagues better than the turtle beaches I had. Only thing I dislike is the green color scheme on the band on the headset so may swap that at some point. Overall I can't imagine a better experience than this headset. Very comfortable.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I've recieved my 7p finally. I'm going to make a video comparing 4 headsets.

Pulse, Arctis 7p, Audio Technica ATH M50x with mod mic and with controller (also have a mini dac I might throw in as well) and then Astro A50.

I'll probably be using demon souls, recordings, feedback from friends in party and testing some music. Obviously will cover QOL things, but anything people want to see/hear? It's mainly for Era anyway. I'm not a youtuber or anything.

I'll say this right off the bat though. The sound stage/range of the ATH M50x is better than any of them. Just a bit more inconvenient.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
My goodness. I just fired up these Arctic 9's and they are so damn good and comfy.

it will also make using discord chat and ps5 gaming for my streams thanks to the dual audio

Apr 28, 2020

Pulse, Arctis 7p, Audio Technica ATH M50x with mod mic and with controller (also have a mini dac I might throw in as well) and then Astro A50.

I'll probably be using demon souls, recordings, feedback from friends in party and testing some music. Obviously will cover QOL things, but anything people want to see/hear? It's mainly for Era anyway. I'm not a youtuber or anything.

I'll say this right off the bat though. The sound stage/range of the ATH M50x is better than any of them. Just a bit more inconvenient.
I love my Audio Technicas. How are you connecting them to PS5?

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
Should be picking up my 7P tomorrow from Bestbuy, I have been waiting for impressions here to no avail (edit I am an idiot, found a couple 7P on Ps% impressions).
So I guess I will post my own (in addition)

Last edited:

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
Just tested out the Arctis 7P on BFV and there was a serious lack of punch that my old sony headphones plugged into the dualsense produces.

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For those who are using the 7x on the Xbox with Dolby Atmos. What are your preferred settings? DId you also tweak the EQ via the PC app?

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I ordered my Arctis 7X from Steelseries direct on the 30th November, and I'm still stuck in "Preparing for Shipment"

Anyone else had this?

Inside

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I brought a pair of arctis 7 2019 edition on black Friday. I used all weekend to go through the settings, trying different sound profiles, test on PC and PS5. And no matter what I did the sound quality was just awful. It was pure pain compared to my in ear B&O I usually use for gaming. So they have been returned immediately. Cant recommend them at all actually.

Metallic high pitch voices. Sound was not direct, but it was like hearing people talk underwater, lack of bass. The wireless connection was super, easy to setup and worked right away. Really good on the technical part.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Steelseries is the most comfortable headset I've used, but in general there is a lot left to be desired from SS as a company.

Support suck as well as documentation and help for the sets. Also, some of the ways they work/charge/interact with my PC makes it weird. Like sometimes the charge won't really be accurate until I connect it and open the app. It is just messy.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had to buy Pulse 3D since it was a requirement to get the PS5 at the shop I preordered, and selling it ASAP after I get it.

Arctis 7 is at the top of my list to replace it (although knowing me, it'll take a LOT of reading again to compare different headsets to it)

Apr 28, 2020
Can someone tell me with the Arctis 7p, is the volume knob continuous or does it have set levels? The one thing I don't like about my Golds is that sometimes I want to be between volume levels but its a digital button (minus/plus) with large steps, and you can't fine tune the volume level for in-between.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
My pulse 3d arrived today and I am actually impressed. Spacial effects sounded great to me in spiderman

Yup, I love mine. Everyone I asked (after reading this thread) said I sounded excellent. Gets very loud (can't use max volume which is a first for me), super comfortable, great by any metric really.

Finding the buttons a bit fiddly but there's always a learning curve with a new headset.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
Yup, I love mine. Everyone I asked (after reading this thread) said I sounded excellent. Gets very loud (can't use max volume which is a first for me), super comfortable, great by any metric really.

Finding the buttons a bit fiddly but there's always a learning curve with a new headset.

Yeh prior to my 3Ds arriving I was using a mix between my in ear buds, zero's; and overear sennheiser hd 555's ...and the 3D's sounded noticably better in spiderman to me

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Can someone tell me with the Arctis 7p, is the volume knob continuous or does it have set levels? The one thing I don't like about my Golds is that sometimes I want to be between volume levels but its a digital button (minus/plus) with large steps, and you can't fine tune the volume level for in-between.

Analog dial so you can adjust as your ears want.

Brad Pitt

Nov 17, 2017
Are 7x worth it? I found some at reduced price at Walmart cause they were returned

I have the pulse headset but can return since I haven't opened them

Thanquol

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
I had the pulse 3d headset and ordered the 7p because of the hype. I actually prefer the pulse 3d, sounds much better while gaming on the ps5.

So be careful before falling for the hype

turbobutts

Oct 25, 2017
alright I just ordered an arctis 7P, gonna give it a shot. I couldn't tell on their website, does it have the chat/game volume mixing on the headset like my Sony Platinum headset does?

D23

Oct 25, 2017
is there a retailer that still have the pulse 3d? been sold out everywhere

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I have experience with both headsets so here are my two cents.

I bought the 3D Pulse at launch and I thought it sounded good. My problem was it has a tight clamp and puts pressure on my glasses stems. I found it really uncomfortable to wear.

Today I received the Arctis 7P and immediately I could feel that it was way more comfortable. The clamp pressure is lighter and the pads are softer. I think they sound good. The 3D Audio effect works well, I tested it with Miles Morales. I'm going to keep them and sell the 3D Pulse. The only downside is that there is no auto input switching like with the Pulse, as long as the dongle is plugged in the PS5 thinks the headset is on. Oh yeah, and you can't view the remaining battery life on screen.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Isn't sidetone (mic monitoring) the ability to hear yourself? People have been saying in the other wireless headset thread that PS5 doesn't allow you to adjust chat/game mix volume using the physical sliders found on third party headsets.

Yes, you only get sidetone on the 7P to adjust hearing yourself (which I happen to like adjusting). On PS5, you have to use the menu controls to adjust chat /game volume balance unless you have a Sony headset.

Dreathlock

Nov 3, 2017
Bought a 7x directly from steelseries. My headset has a very high pitch tone in the left ear which gets worse during a gaming session and drives me insane. Opened a ticket at steelseries 8 days ago and no reaction yet.
This was definetely my last steelseries product. Get a pulse. I regret my purchase.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
My friend has the pulse 3d headset and its fine in party chat. Keep in mind we are both on ps5.

Mine is on the way. . Its a big Upgrade compared to the gold headset for me, very pleasent on my small head.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Bought a 7x directly from steelseries. My headset has a very high pitch tone in the left ear which gets worse during a gaming session and drives me insane. Opened a ticket at steelseries 8 days ago and no reaction yet.
This was definetely my last steelseries product. Get a pulse. I regret my purchase.
I've seen people get a response from customer service reps on the steelseries subreddit, maybe you can get in contact with someone on there and get your case moving.

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
The only downside is that there is no auto input switching like with the Pulse, as long as the dongle is plugged in the PS5 thinks the headset is on. Oh yeah, and you can't view the remaining battery life on screen.

I think you already know, but in any case : you can switch the audio output from the console's quick menu to your receiver/TV instead of the headset. It's still on the headset by default, but at least you don't have to remove the receiver.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting because I thought that m50x would easily have the worst soundstage from all of those based on what they're designed for.

Looking forward to the video.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I think you already know, but in any case : you can switch the audio output from the console's quick menu to your receiver/TV instead of the headset. It's still on the headset by default, but at least you don't have to remove the receiver.
Yeah, but thanks. A minor inconvenience but at least it's on the quick menu.

I wish turning 3d audio on and off was in the quick menu, because I don't like what it does to non-ps5 content so I'm always turning it on and off.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, but thanks. A minor inconvenience but at least it's on the quick menu.

I wish turning 3d audio on and off was in the quick menu, because I don't like what it does to non-ps5 content so I'm always turning it on and off.

Yeah they need to patch that in, that would be very useful. I'm happy we can at least quickly switch the sound output.