• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Download Steelseries Engine on the pc to fiddle with the EQ. I too thought it was too Bassy so I put it on performance and loved it. And plug the dongle into the PC, don't wire into the headset to change the settings.

I did that a few days ago and it sounded perfectly fine as I said. Now I plug it into PS5 without changing a thing and it sounds awful :/ wtf?

But thanks, I will try it again with SS Engine.

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Download Steelseries Engine on the pc to fiddle with the EQ. I too thought it was too Bassy so I put it on performance and loved it. And plug the dongle into the PC, don't wire into the headset to change the settings.
So fiddling with the EQ app on PC saves all your settings when you then plug the headset in console?

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I have the chance to buy the Artics 7 for EUR 80 so I can use a wireless headset with 3D audio / surround support with my PS5. I am confused with all the variations but is the regular 7 worth a recommendation? Does it also support virtual surround sound with non 3D audio games eg PS4 games?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
FYI, I just tested with horizon on ps5, as soon as I turn on pulse 3d headset the game enable 3d audio in the sound setting. So ps5 can do the 3d audio decoding without the need of an external hardware like psvr breakout box or the elite head phones. Even though there's only a handful of ps4 games with 3d audio support but still cool. I don't think 3rd party head set can do 3d spatial sound on ps4 games.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Honestly, the cheaper ($99) Steelseries Wireless Arctis 1s are a better match up to the Pulse, but even those trump them in my opinion. I own both and use both, the Pulse are decent but don't get as loud as the Arctis 1s. The Pulse also have a pretty weak mic, weaker than the Dualsense controller mic tbh lol. The Steelseries mic is much more clear.

The Wireless 1s have the same speakers as the 7X/7P so you can apply everything I said about the 1s to those. Also, its worth noting the regular 7s are older models and aren't the same as the 7X/7P.

I'm actually returning my Pulse because even though they look great, the performance just doesn't match up to Steelseries. Its pointless for me to keep them other than they astethically.

Last edited:

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the cheaper ($99) Steelseries Wireless Arctis 1s are a better match up to the Pulse, but even those trump them in my opinion. I own both and use both, the Pulse are decent but don't get as loud as the Arctis 1s. The Pulse also have a pretty weak mic, weaker than the Dualsense controller mic tbh lol. The Steelseries mic is much more clear.

The Wireless 1s have the same speakers as the 7X/7P so you can apply everything I said about the 1s to those. Also, its worth noting the regular 7s are older models and aren't the same as the 7X/7P.

I'm actually returning my Pulse because even though they look great, the performance just doesn't match up to Steelseries. Its pointless for me to keep them other than they astethically.

I just bought the 7 for 80 EUR which was part of a Black Friday deal. The only thing I care about is:
- wireless
- 3D audio
- surround sound

I just read now that this set does not support surround sound on the PS4 which I guess it means that I won't be able to have that also when playing PS4 games on the PS5.

Did I make a mistake buying them?

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
I just bought the 7 for 80 EUR which was part of a Black Friday deal. The only thing I care about is:
- wireless
- 3D audio
- surround sound

I just read now that this set does not support surround sound on the PS4 which I guess it means that I won't be able to have that also when playing PS4 games on the PS5.

Did I make a mistake buying them?

Good question. I expect the system wide tempest 3D audio would cover those PS4 games with 3D audio support but I haven't tried. I'll check it out tomorrow to see.

Edit: Found this on reddit....seems like it does work for PS4 games. https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/k0cq78/psa_ps5s_3d_audio_feature_will_spoof_your/

Last edited:

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 20433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bought the Arctis 7's the weekend form 88 euro. I like them! Haven't had the time to try them a lot, but it was quite impressive to be able to locate those magicians in Tower of Latria in Demon's Souls through sound.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Good question. I expect the system wide tempest 3D audio would cover those PS4 games with 3D audio support but I haven't tried. I'll check it out tomorrow to see.

Edit: Found this on reddit....seems like it does work for PS4 games. https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/k0cq78/psa_ps5s_3d_audio_feature_will_spoof_your/

Ohhh thank you for this. I will keep testing more today. I will one detail below.

Bought the Arctis 7's the weekend form 88 euro. I like them! Haven't had the time to try them a lot, but it was quite impressive to be able to locate those magicians in Tower of Latria in Demon's Souls through sound.

Looks like we got almost the same deal and I am glad to have found someone else who has them. Did you have more time to test? I have old Sennheiser wireless speakers with virtual surround sound and they have served me really well for the last 10 years. Yesterday I tested both with Ghost of Thushima and with the 3d audio option enabled, the Artic 7 sound fuller and better. Great

But then I tested the only PS4 game I had installed next to it on my PS5 which was the awesome Void Bastards. In there the old Sennheisers sounded better no matter what sound option I selected, which was disappointing and also weird.

Does anyone think that I have to actually change the sound settings in the PS5 system itself? So far I only changed it within the games. I will test more PS4 games today -- maybe reinstall FF7 Remake. Hopefully I do not have to touch the system settings though because I often switch between 5.1 speakers and headphones.

Carankan

One Winged Slayer
Dec 22, 2017
I know very little about headsets for gaming, so apologies for what is perhaps a redundant question but I assume the Arctis work the same as the Pulse? As in, you plug in a USB-dongle in the Playstation 5, whereupon it works without further ado?

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Just bit the bullet on a set of 7X's for use with everything (PC/PS5/XSX)

Hope these are as good as the hype!

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Same, got an Arctis 7 for 80€. Had the GOLD headset V2, and it's miles better. I installed the PC app in order to change the EQ a bit, and the "immersive" mode that you can load on it, is pretty good.​

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone that has joined my party with the Pulse 3D headset has sounded terrible. Like they're trying to speak through a pillow or something. It sounds very muddy, looses so much detail from your voice that it was sometimes difficult to tell what they were saying.

I'd stay away from the Pulse headset if you play with and communicate with folks online.

I will say that PS5 party chat audio in general sounds worse than PS4 chat though. Which is a shame, but the Pulse particularly sounds awful.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with the Arctic 9x with the XSX? I was wondering if it was worth the $200

WildWayz

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I too got some Arctis 7s at the weekend - WOW excellent headset. Mainly use it on the PC, but tested them out on the PS5 with the Gold v2s as a benchmark. The A7s sound so much better. Not enough for me to buy another pair to stop me swapping between the two systems - but they are both great - but the A7s are better.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I know very little about headsets for gaming, so apologies for what is perhaps a redundant question but I assume the Arctis work the same as the Pulse? As in, you plug in a USB-dongle in the Playstation 5, whereupon it works without further ado?

Yeap. I think the Dongle looks different per model but this was definitely the case with my 7.

Same, got an Arctis 7 for 80€. Had the GOLD headset V2, and it's miles better. I installed the PC app in order to change the EQ a bit, and the "immersive" mode that you can load on it, is pretty good.​
Would you recommend to thinker with the PC app settings if I am planning to only use it with the PS5?

I too got some Arctis 7s at the weekend - WOW excellent headset. Mainly use it on the PC, but tested them out on the PS5 with the Gold v2s as a benchmark. The A7s sound so much better. Not enough for me to buy another pair to stop me swapping between the two systems - but they are both great - but the A7s are better.

That is great to hear. Can you test some PS4 games on your PS5 that do not have 3D audio supported like GoT? I will do some tests myself today but e.g. with Void Bastards the A7 sounded worse than my 10 year virtual surround Sennheiser wireless headset.

And general question to everyone: From that Reddit thread I picked up this:

So for Ghost of Tsushima do you have 3D Audio ticked ON in the PS5 settings and in the game audio settings in GoT as Headphones (3D Audio)?

Is this correct? One has to activate the headset also in the system settings??? That sounds super annoying if indeed true if I am planning to switch between 5.1 home cinema setup and headset...

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Would you recommend to thinker with the PC app settings if I am planning to only use it with the PS5?
Absolutely. I'm only using it with the PS5, and it's basically an EQ to tweak the sound to your liking, or use presets. Immersion is satisfying to me, and is on par with what I usually do with an EQ.

Deleted member 51957

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
How easy is it to move the 7x set around between XSX, PS5, and numerous PCs? Assuming XSX is integrated from the jump, the dongle goes inside the PS5, and you can wire up to any PC ?

Oct 27, 2017
So, is the 7X out of stock or discontinued? I only have a PS5 and PC at the moment but I plan to get the Series X some time next year and it would be nice to have a quality headset that works wirelessly and at a good quality across all 3 platforms.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Got my 7x two days ago, I'm currently using them with my PS4. They destroy my old Sony Platinum Headset, far better ergonomics and sound. Only thing missing is chat balance, which has to be adjusted by opening your party window (but will work directly with XBox).

This is what I'm most concerned about. I have the platinum and really like them, but the most used feature is the chat/game audio balance, since I'm constantly toggling that. When I ever I play in a party chat, we usually just do that, chat. And if I get to a cutscene in the game I need to quickly adjust the balance so I can hear the game audio better. That's a bummer it doesn't work natively on the PS4.

NeonDelta

Sep 29, 2020
I went with 7x using the code for 20 quid off. due to be delivered Thursday morning. Can't wait to try the, out. Never really used a headset for gaming before

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Keep seeing people say this but I find it much, much better. Better quality and much louder when using a wired mic with the DualSense.

It might be what we're hearing from PS4? Because I'm not on a PS5. I've only heard PS5 mics from PS4 or my phone. Maybe PS5 to PS5 is better.

As is though, it's not just me that notices it. Any one of my friends that joins on a PS5 and the whole lobby is like 'whoa, you sound like shit, can you fix your mic?' then they have to explain that they're on a PS5 and it's just like that.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
It might be what we're hearing from PS4? Because I'm not on a PS5. I've only heard PS5 mics from PS4 or my phone. Maybe PS5 to PS5 is better.

As is though, it's not just me that notices it. Any one of my friends that joins on a PS5 and the whole lobby is like 'whoa, you sound like shit, can you fix your mic?' then they have to explain that they're on a PS5 and it's just like that.
Maybe that's it. Haven't had any PS4 friends complain tho. Should go and test this myself some time.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the 7X is probably the better choice. 9X uses Xbox wireless for audio, my last headset that used them (LS35X) had lots of interference issues and drop-outs. I got the 7X (which uses a USB adapter) and it works flawlessly.
The 7x is also wireless so why wouldn't there be issues with that also?

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
People mention installing the pc program and changing the sound profile? Does this only improve the sound quality when pc gaming and the app is open? Or does it actually load and store said profile in the headsets memory to use with any source?

Arctis 7x of course.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe how comfortable the Arctis 7 is every time I put it on lol

And this battery life is insanely good.

AfterZero

Oct 27, 2017
People mention installing the pc program and changing the sound profile? Does this only improve the sound quality when pc gaming and the app is open? Or does it actually load and store said profile in the headsets memory to use with any source?

Arctis 7x of course.
From my experience with it, it saves the EQ settings for any audio source.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Can anyone with the Arctis 7 and a PS5 tell me or test if the mute button on the Dualsense mutes the headset?

I thought I could live with the fact that the Pulse doesn't mute when you press the button but it got to me and I had to return it. I got caught thinking I was muted a couple times gaming with friends and I wasn't. It doesn't help that sometimes I play with an ear bud in to to the controller instead of the Pulse if I'm gaming next to my wife. With the ear bud I got used to using the Dualsense mute button.

It still makes zero sense to me why a Sony product designed to be sold alongside the PS5 doesn't fully integrate with the controller!

Oct 27, 2017
Which Arctic 7? 7x?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone with the Arctis 7 and a PS5 tell me or test if the mute button on the Dualsense mutes the headset?

I thought I could live with the fact that the Pulse doesn't mute when you press the button but it got to me and I had to return it. I got caught thinking I was muted a couple times gaming with friends and I wasn't. It doesn't help that sometimes I play with an ear bud in to to the controller instead of the Pulse if I'm gaming next to my wife. With the ear bud I got used to using the Dualsense mute button.

It still makes zero sense to me why a Sony product designed to be sold alongside the PS5 doesn't fully integrate with the controller!

Why not use the mute button on the pulse 3d headset?

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone that has joined my party with the Pulse 3D headset has sounded terrible. Like they're trying to speak through a pillow or something. It sounds very muddy, looses so much detail from your voice that it was sometimes difficult to tell what they were saying.

I'd stay away from the Pulse headset if you play with and communicate with folks online.

I will say that PS5 party chat audio in general sounds worse than PS4 chat though. Which is a shame, but the Pulse particularly sounds awful.
This is weird to see. Audio chat quality seems exactly the same for me. Using the pulse 3d on a PS5 my friends say I sound my clearer then my old platinums. Im pretty quiet and sometimes people don't understand me in the platinums. Haven't had an issue at all with the pulse and I even cranked down the sensitivity.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Why not use the mute button on the pulse 3d headset?
I did when I remembered. The Dualsense mute button is just so much easier to use and see that you are muted. Also like I said I got used to using the Dualsense mute button when using the wired ear bud.

I also have a friend with a third party wireless headset from the PS4 that he uses with the PS5 and the Dualsense mute button mutes his headset.

Makes zero sense that the Pulse 3D is missing this feature.

VamosTigres

Jun 11, 2020
The 7x is also wireless so why wouldn't there be issues with that also?
7x uses Steelseries' wireless tech, which (at least for me) is wayyyy more solid than Xbox Wireless. So yes, I believe they're both using some sort of 2.4ghz wireless, but there's definitely a difference between the two. And who knows, maybe the 9X will work flawlessly with your setup--figured I'd give you my perspective after using both the 7X and a LS35X

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I did when I remembered. The Dualsense mute button is just so much easier to use and see that you are muted. Also like I said I got used to using the Dualsense mute button when using the wired ear bud.

I also have a friend with a third party wireless headset from the PS4 that he uses with the PS5 and the Dualsense mute button mutes his headset.

Makes zero sense that the Pulse 3D is missing this feature.
I agree, I reckon it will added. Seems like it's just an oversight.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
if the arctis 7 is anything like the 9x please stay away, at least the xbox version anyway. Got a brand new arctis 9x headset for my series x. it was fine for the first hour or so then it seems to get connection issues because the audio stutters a lot, and its very annoying. Tried them again the day after and still has the same problem.

Going to return these to amazon and get a refund.
I've read bad things about the 9x connectivity as it only uses the native Xbox wireless. Thankfully the 7x uses the SteelSeries USB dongle instead of connecting directly to the Xbox, so the connection issues don't seem to be present on it. The benefit to this is also that you can use the same headphones with your other devices, at the expense of losing Bluetooth support.

So, is the 7X out of stock or discontinued? I only have a PS5 and PC at the moment but I plan to get the Series X some time next year and it would be nice to have a quality headset that works wirelessly and at a good quality across all 3 platforms.
They only came out a month or so ago, so definitely not discontinued. I would say they are just hard to keep in stock with it being one of the few headsets that can natively support both new consoles (and PC, Switch, Android).

Last edited:

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
I've ready bad things about the 9x connectivity as it only uses the native Xbox wireless. Thankfully the 7x uses the SteelSeries USB dongle instead of connecting directly to the Xbox, so the connection issues don't seem to be present on it. The benefit to this is also that you can use the same headphones with your other devices, at the expense of losing Bluetooth support.

They only came out a month or so ago, so definitely not discontinued. I would say they are just hard to keep in stock with it being one of the few headsets that can natively support both new consoles (and PC, Switch, Android).

thats cool, if i knew that i would have probably went with those. However there has been a xbox update since my last post about these. I am in the alpha skip ahead ring. It seems to have fixed my issues.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is weird to see. Audio chat quality seems exactly the same for me. Using the pulse 3d on a PS5 my friends say I sound my clearer then my old platinums. Im pretty quiet and sometimes people don't understand me in the platinums. Haven't had an issue at all with the pulse and I even cranked down the sensitivity.

In the video he gives his friends an audio sample and asks 'how does the audio from this headset sound?' to which they immediately say, 'trash'.

They might be an upgrade from the regular platinums to be fair, I haven't used those in a long long time and I don't remember the mic audio quality being all that good there either. But my experience has always been the same as in the video, where I feel like the person doesn't sound like themself anymore, and the quality as if they're speaking to me through cheap earbuds or something like that.

You can hear them if there's no other audio but like in the video it's muddy and softer, so in Apex I was missing my friends coms all the time.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017

In the video he gives his friends an audio sample and asks 'how does the audio from this headset sound?' to which they immediately say, 'trash'.

They might be an upgrade from the regular platinums to be fair, I haven't used those in a long long time and I don't remember the mic audio quality being all that good there either. But my experience has always been the same as in the video, where I feel like the person doesn't sound like themself anymore, and the quality as if they're speaking to me through cheap earbuds or something like that.

You can hear them if there's no other audio but like in the video it's muddy and softer, so in Apex I was missing my friends coms all the time.

Well no surprise asking what people think compared to a $200 headset with a mic boom might result in calling it trash. Are you using party chat or in game chat? I have no issues hearing my friends and they use trash headsets one of them uses the mic that came with the ps4 box. In the rare occurrence one of my friends switches to a trashier headset we just tell him to turn the sensitivity up. As someone who is asked repeatedly to repeat themselves I have yet you be asked on these. Are they the best headset, no. But the comparison in that video isn't even fair.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Well no surprise asking what people think compared to a $200 headset with a mic boom might result in calling it trash. Are you using party chat or in game chat? I have no issues hearing my friends and they use trash headsets one of them uses the mic that came with the ps4 box. In the rare occurrence one of my friends switches to a trashier headset we just tell him to turn the sensitivity up. As someone who is asked repeatedly to repeat themselves I have yet you be asked on these. Are they the best headset, no. But the comparison in that video isn't even fair.

Well I mean, if you just listen to it in the clip, it does sound terrible. The point isn't the comparison, the audio quality stands on its own. It's really bad. It sounds worse than the audio quality I would get speaking into my iphone headphones...

Also, you don't need an expensive headset to get good mic quality. You get get excellent mic quality from the hyper x series which are cheaper than the Pulse by quite a bit.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Well I mean, if you just listen to it in the clip, it does sound terrible. The point isn't the comparison, the audio quality stands on its own. It's really bad. It sounds worse than the audio quality I would get speaking into my iphone headphones...

Also, you don't need an expensive headset to get good mic quality. You get get excellent mic quality from the hyper x series which are cheaper than the Pulse by quite a bit.
I tried the hyper x and binned them mic might be good, hated the headset and audio though. Also has a boom anything hidden mic vs boom is going to sound worse. At the end of it all I couldn't care less if people hear me exactly how I sound as long as they can hear me. If it's important to you thats fine. But it's silly to compare a boom to a hidden mic and call it trash, it's an entirely different beast.