• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
Have there been any good reviews of sound through the Dualsense and if it's improved over the last go? I have a perfectly decent set of headphones that aren't wireless and am just wondering if going wired is even necessary? All I've really seen, I think, is that wired headsets into the Dualsense use up battery for the controller more quickly.

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
So if I get a 2nd receiver, I have to sync it with PC first and then I could leave one plugged into XSX and one plugged into PS5?
No, the headset will only remember one of the receivers, so you'll need to sync them every single time you want to switch. It's much easier to move the single receiver. The only way to get it working without having to switch to my knowledge is to get something like the Arctis Pro Wireless (Wireless + bluetooth at the same time + Optical input), hook it up to your sound system/tv via optical and your playstation via usb (for chat), then use bluetooth to chat on xbox via phone app, but that gets pricey quick and isn't really worth the hassle.

This is a great recommendation (in fact it comes with one, so you just need to buy an additional USB-C to USB-A cable):
I'll probably just run a long USB to USB-C extension cable from each console to somewhere where it's more accessible to switch between them.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
No, the headset will only remember one of the receivers, so you'll need to sync them every single time you want to switch. It's much easier to move the single receiver. The only way to get it working without having to switch to my knowledge is to get something like the Arctis Pro Wireless (Wireless + bluetooth at the same time + Optical input), hook it up to your sound system/tv via optical and your playstation via usb (for chat), then use bluetooth to chat on xbox via phone app, but that gets pricey quick and isn't really worth the hassle.

This is a great recommendation (in fact it comes with one, so you just need to buy an additional USB-C to USB-A cable):

Are you sure you need that extra cable?

The PS5 has a USB C on front (plug receiver straight in).

The XSX has a USB A on the back, leave the dongle connected there.

Am I wrong?

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada

Am I wrong?
You aren't, but you wouldn't be able to us the other USB port on the front without some form of extension cable as the receiver will block it. If your ok with that, then you wouldn't need another cable.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
You aren't, but you wouldn't be able to us the other USB port on the front without some form of extension cable as the receiver will block it. If your ok with that, then you wouldn't need another cable.

On the PS5 you mean? Not a problem, not sure why I would use it other than to charge the controller at some point but not while playing. Worst case plug it into the back.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I use a Steelseries Artis Pro in conjunction with the ASTRO TR PRO MIXAMP and honestly I find the setup underwhelming.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017

Am I wrong?
That is my thought as well (understanding the issue of blocking the other port).

I'm going to leave the USB-A extension connected to my XSX and then just take the USB-C dongle off and move it to the front port on the PS5 when needed. I doubt I will ever need to use both ports on the front of the PS5 at the same time so this should work well for me I think.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I had the 7P and decided to return them once the 7X came back in stock. It'll be nice to not need a wire for the random games of Halo I might play with some friends.

Weird question, but do we know if these would work by connecting the adapter to the USB-C port on a Xbox/PS5 controller? That'd make swapping platforms really easy, but I'm assuming it has to connect to the console itself.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Knowing the build quality of the PS4 headset (because I was forced to get a pair with the PS4) I have zero faith that the new headset will be good in any way.

I use a Steelseries Arctis Pro on PC and sometimes I forget that I'm wearing them, they're that comfortable on my ears. I also like the dual chat/game channels as well as the built in DTSX. My only gripe is that they use proprietary i/o which could potentially screw you over if one of the inputs get bent *stares at the pile of mini-usb cords stacked in a box*

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the Arctis 7 is $125 on Amazon right now, should I bite or hold out for a potentially better sale on Black Friday?

Bill

Oct 29, 2017
is there anywhere that has compared PS5 tempest 3d audio from the Pulses and other headphones? a direct comparison from the same source?

I cant help but wonder why the Pulse have the speakers angled towards the ear canal and whether it has any effect on perceiving their 3d audio tech...

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Had Arctis 7s (2019) since they released and they have been excellent.

Had Turtle Beach before that, never again.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Got my 7x this week and I'm very pleased :)

Just one quick question... when I plug the dongle into my Samsung phone, I can listen to music just fine, but can't take calls with it.
Am I missing some setting? It's possible, right??

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Got my 7x this week and I'm very pleased :)

Just one quick question... when I plug the dongle into my Samsung phone, I can listen to music just fine, but can't take calls with it.
Am I missing some setting? It's possible, right??
Read the Arctis 7X listing,
1RqMm4H.png

This looks to be an issue with all USB-C mics on Samsung phones. Haven't tested it on my phone yet (waiting to move before I open it), but I don't think this is an issue with other phones. It specially points out Samsung phones.

Last edited:

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Got my 7x today. How should I setup for use with Series X? I have the Dolby and DTS apps. Do I need to do anything on my PC to change the sound for first setup?

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Thinking about selling my arctis 7 headset to get the pulse 3d headset, good or bad move? Anyone get them yet? Im mostly concerned with them being comfortable. The platinums hurt my head.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
so I am having a hard time with this headset (arctis 7x) on my series x...

I am to plug the usb c adapter into the usb adapter, plug into xbox and then turn on headset right? I can hear things but it is not loud at all and I can hear my own microphone anytime I talk into it...

Am I doing something wrong?

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I decided to open it up and test my 7X, everything seems to be working fine. Just need to test a game or two now.

so I am having a hard time with this headset (arctis 7x) on my series x...

I am to plug the usb c adapter into the usb adapter, plug into xbox and then turn on headset right? I can hear things but it is not loud at all and I can hear my own microphone anytime I talk into it...

Am I doing something wrong?
Hearing yourself is on by default. There are many words for it, but Steelseries calls it Sidetone, you can adjust it by connecting your headset to a PC and using their software to disable it. Some like it, some don't (I don't, I turned it off before I even used the headset). As for the sound, have you checked your volume on the headset? Is the chatmix mostly voice or game?

Where are you lot purchasing the 7X? I can't find it anywhere on the internet. :(
Have you checked their official website?

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Do you have to setup the 7x on your PC to get the most of out it with Xbox/PS5? I got mine yesterday and just setup it up with my XSX but didnt' download any PC software to update or make changes?

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I decided to open it up and test my 7X, everything seems to be working fine. Just need to test a game or two now.

Hearing yourself is on by default. There are many words for it, but Steelseries calls it Sidetone, you can adjust it by connecting your headset to a PC and using their software to disable it. Some like it, some don't (I don't, I turned it off before I even used the headset). As for the sound, have you checked your volume on the headset? Is the chatmix mostly voice or game?

Have you checked their official website?

woa thanks for that, I couldn't find this one to buy anywhere either.

this is the one confirmed to work for series X and ps5 out the box?

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused about the 7X. Everyone says it works on PS5 but all the websites selling it say it doesn't? Does the 7P work on PS5 and PC just fine? 7X seems to be out of stock but the 7P is readily available.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
So if I have no intention of getting an Xbox I'm all good?

Edit: is it the exact same headset otherwise?
Pretty much. It's mostly the headband and headset color. The 7x version has game /chat adjustments on the headset(for Xbox) and the 7p has sidetone control and you do game /chat adjust through the system.

I have the 7P since I'll not be getting an Xbox anytime soon.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much. It's mostly the headband and headset color. The 7x version has game /chat adjustments on the headset(for Xbox) and the 7p has sidetone control and you do game /chat adjust through the system.

I have the 7P since I'll not be getting an Xbox anytime soon.
Thanks for the info! I bought the 7P.

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the 7X, if you want to use it for both XSX and PS5, do you need to purchase a second dongle so you don't have to switch them out every time you change consoles?

AfterZero

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this will help, but my Arctis 7X arrived earlier today, so I was able to compare the two! Here ya go...

EDIT: Keep in mind that even though I have the 7X, the same impressions would hold true for the 7P.

Build Quality: Arctis 7X Wins... Narrowly

The PULSE 3D headset looks good and doesn't look or feel super cheap, but it doesn't quite look or feel premium. The Arctis 7X, surprisingly, doesn't scream "high quality," either. In fact, the fabric strap (while comfortable, which I'll touch on later) makes the headset look kinda cheaper. However, overall, the Arctis 7X slightly edges out the PULSE 3D due to its superior ear cups and generally sturdier feel. But, visually speaking, the PULSE 3D wins the style fight handily. Sleek as hell.

Comfort: A Surprising Tie?

This one was actually less cut and dry than I imagined. The Arctis 7X is technically the more comfortable headset thanks to its superior ear cushioning and its gentle head strap. But... it's also a weightier headset compared to the PULSE 3D, so there's a slight drawback of it feeling a tad weightier on your head. On the flip side, the PULSE 3D's lighter build makes it feel 'a different kind of comfortable,' so to speak. Despite its stiffer, less cushiony feel, I'm more likely to forget I'm wearing my PULSE 3D than my 7X. This will come down to personal preference for sure.

Sound Quality: Arctis 7X Wins (3D Audio NOT Tested)
While I wouldn't necessarily call it a landslide victory, the Arctis 7X provided somewhat fuller/richer sound in comparison to the PULSE 3D in my tests. That wasn't much of a surprise to me, but I will say that I did find it surprising that the PULSE 3D was so close in quality. I just think lows sound a little fuller on the 7X's, but other than that, the PULSE 3D is nothing to sneeze at.

Mic Quality: PULSE 3D when wired, 7X when wireless
I guess that really says it all. When wired, I was kinda blown away at how good I sounded on the PULSE 3D. Almost no muffling or "tin-can" effect at all. But, when going wireless, the mic quality goes down considerably. Arctis 7X provides a more consistent sound quality regardless of connection.

Overall: Sorry... it's a close call. Maybe Arctis 7X?
Originally, I intended to buy both and return the one I like the least. But now, I'm kinda stumped, as both headsets have unique strengths that balance out this battle more than I anticipated. I suppose if the most important factor of all is sound, the Arctis 7X should cover your bases slightly better than the PULSE 3D. But, from an overall standpoint, the PULSE 3D holds its own incredibly well (and it's cheaper). Plus, what may also tip the scale is Sony's support for the PULSE 3D by providing custom mixing options, and perhaps better 3D audio quality. However, that remains to be seen for now. So, all in all, you really can't go wrong either way. But here's how I'd break it down:

If you're all about comfort for long sessions, get 7X.
If you want to stick to Sony accessories to get their full support (like custom mixing), PULSE 3D won't disappoint.
If even the smallest improvement to sound quality gives you FOMO, get 7X.
If you're paranoid about 7X having inferior 3D audio quality, I wouldn't worry about it, but get a PULSE 3D for peace of mind.
If you're on a budget, PULSE 3D is no slouch whatsoever for it's price. At all.

Last edited:

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Not sure if this will help, but my Arctis 7X arrived earlier today, so I was able to compare the two! Here ya go...

EDIT: Keep in mind that even though I have the 7X, the same impressions would hold true for the 7P.

Build Quality: Arctis 7X Wins... Narrowly

The PULSE 3D headset looks good and doesn't look or feel super cheap, but it doesn't quite look or feel premium. The Arctis 7X, surprisingly, doesn't scream "high quality," either. In fact, the fabric strap (while comfortable, which I'll touch on later) makes the headset look kinda cheaper. However, overall, the Arctis 7X slightly edges out the PULSE 3D due to its superior ear cups and generally sturdier feel. But, visually speaking, the PULSE 3D wins the style fight handily. Sleek as hell.

Comfort: A Surprising Tie?

This one was actually less cut and dry than I imagined. The Arctis 7X is technically the more comfortable headset thanks to its superior ear cushioning and its gentle head strap. But... it's also a weightier headset compared to the PULSE 3D, so there's a slight drawback of it feeling a tad weightier on your head. On the flip side, the PULSE 3D's lighter build makes it feel 'a different kind of comfortable,' so to speak. Despite its stiffer, less cushiony feel, I'm more likely to forget I'm wearing my PULSE 3D than my 7X. This will come down to personal preference for sure.

Sound Quality: Arctis 7X Wins (3D Audio NOT Tested)
While I wouldn't necessarily call it a landslide victory, the Arctis 7X provided somewhat fuller/richer sound in comparison to the PULSE 3D in my tests. That wasn't much of a surprise to me, but I will say that I did find it surprising that the PULSE 3D was so close in quality. I just think lows sound a little fuller on the 7X's, but other than that, the PULSE 3D is nothing to sneeze at.

Mic Quality: PULSE 3D when wired, 7X when wireless
I guess that really says it all. When wired, I was kinda blown away at how good I sounded on the PULSE 3D. Almost no muffling or "tin-can" effect at all. But, when going wireless, the mic quality goes down considerably. Arctis 7X provides a more consistent sound quality regardless of connection.

Overall: Sorry... it's a close call. Maybe Arctis 7X?
Originally, I intended to buy both and return the one I like the least. But now, I'm kinda stumped, as both headsets have unique strengths that balance out this battle more than I anticipated. I suppose if the most important factor of all is sound, the Arctis 7X should cover your bases slightly better than the PULSE 3D. But, from an overall standpoint, the PULSE 3D holds its own incredibly well (and it's cheaper). Plus, what may also tip the scale is Sony's support for the PULSE 3D by providing custom mixing options, and perhaps better 3D audio quality. However, that remains to be seen for now. So, all in all, you really can't go wrong either way. But here's how I'd break it down:

If you're all about comfort for long sessions, get 7X.
If you want to stick to Sony accessories to get their full support (like custom mixing), PULSE 3D won't disappoint.
If even the smallest improvement to sound quality gives you FOMO, get 7X.
If you're paranoid about 7X having inferior 3D audio quality, I wouldn't worry about it, but get a PULSE 3D for peace of mind.
If you're on a budget, PULSE 3D is no slouch whatsoever for it's price. At all.
Two things to note: Arctis mic doesn't work wired I don't think.

Other, battery life difference is worth mentioning - 7X is 20 hours which is ridiculously good.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
went with a pair of 9's today. A dongle on the PC is a must. Bluetooth really fucks with games framerates and im not having it. Glad it will also function on my PS5

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
9's continue to be doink. for anyone checking in.

still love em and sometimes forget i have em on and go too far from my computer and lose connection when i try to go outside lol.