• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
Yeah I got mine actually pretty recently like a week ago or so but so far from using the 9's every day I really really like them.

I ended ordering the Arctic 9. Supposed to arrive on Wednesday the day before the PS5!

I hope they are comfortable, I'm moving on from an old set of A-50s that are like 5 or 6 years old.
A couple of questions. Must these be plugged in to work with 3D Tempest Audio?
What made you choose this headset over the 7X? For me, I guess it was being able to use it with my phone too.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
A couple of questions. Must these be plugged in to work with 3D Tempest Audio?
What made you choose this headset over the 7X? For me, I guess it was being able to use it with my phone too.

They work over a usb dongle, so they are "plugged in" as far as the PS5 is concerned. Tempest audio will work.

I went with the 9 because it has the Bluetooth that mixes audio from my iPhone or iPad in with the game audio.

I didn't buy the 9x because I'm not an Xbox guy and don't need it work with an Xbox.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
They work over a usb dongle, so they are "plugged in" as far as the PS5 is concerned. Tempest audio will work.

I went with the 9 because it has the Bluetooth that mixes audio from my iPhone or iPad in with the game audio.

I didn't buy the 9x because I'm not an Xbox guy and don't need it work with an Xbox.
Thanks, this makes me feel better about my purchase.

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought the Arctis 7 from amazon. It isn't the P or the X but from my reading it should work fine for Pc and Ps4/ps5. I don't care about Bluetooth so it saved me some money. Looking forward to it. I've had my current headphones for like 5 years and they hurt my ears.

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
TBH i researched a ton and was gonna get the 7's and then the steelseries website said 'YO PEEP THESE 9's! Fuck the 7's!'

so I got em.

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
tbh i'm not an audio lord. I just saw the 9's were newer and had bluetooth and stuff.

If the X is more microsoft branded I didn't get that cause i'm gonna get a ps5 for a console.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Pulse 3D the cheap plastic one or is that another one I'm forgetting? I have an Artics 7 and can vouch for it, it's incredibly comfortable and sounds amazing on PC, especially with Dolby Atmos. Highly recommend it.

Dreathlock

Nov 3, 2017
Is there a headset that can do both xsx and ps5? I will have both consoles and it would be nice to switch between them with one headset without changing dongles. Does something like this even exist on the market?

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I just started using my 3D Pulse in a party on PS4 and the entire group noticed I had a new mic because it sounded so shitty. They said it was like I was talking through a tin can and sounded robotic and far away. That's with the microphone level all the way up.

I'm starting to regret these. I already have a pair of Logitech G430s and it seemed to work fine and sounded great. Now I'm reading about these Arctis brand and they're not much more expensive than the 3D Pulse.

I don't understand though, is the Pulse meant to be the only set capable of taking advantage of the Tempest audio? Will my G430 do the same? Why do they sound so shitty to the other party members, is it something I need to adjust??? This isn't really talked about in reviews, it's mostly just about how great they sound taking advantage of the 3D features.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
What's the difference between the arctis 7x and Arctis 9x?
Arctis 7X has a USB dongle for the wireless connection.
7X can be used on pretty much every platform, Xbox, PS, Switch, PC, Android, iOS... via the wireless dongle totally lag-free.

Arctis 9X has built-in wireless Xbox audio for the wireless connection.
9X can be used on Xbox (Xbox wireless), PC (Xbox Wireless dongle for PC), and mobile (Bluetooth, lag city). Reports are that it MAY work on Playstation wired, but that the mic might not work, even wired. Still unclear on this. Confirmed in edit below.

Edit: on the 9X from Rtings. "These headphones are audio-only compatible when plugged into a PC or a PS4 controller, and you won't be able to use your microphone. However, they're also compatible with PCs that have Xbox One Wireless Technology."

Last edited:

HypnoToad344

Jul 11, 2020
The main draw of the Pulse is it's integration with the system. The bonus appears to be that it punches somewhat above its weight handling game audio compared to comparatively priced headsets, according to the reviews I've seen anyway.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
My Arctis 7 just came in. Gonna wait for my current headset to run out of juice and then make the switch. Looks comfy as hell though lol

Wtfpigeons

Aug 6, 2020
What are the best headsets to buy for switch, ps5 and series x? Arctic pro? I'm currently using a Arctic 3 Bluetooth which I'll keep for monster hunter rise but would like an upgrade.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia

Woah! I'm very interested in this. When I'm playing GT Sport, I like to listen to a personal Apple Music playlist from either my iPhone or iPad. Are you saying with the 9 version of the SteelSeries I will be able to listen to my Apple Music playlist as well as the game audio from GT Sport? Also would the 9s work with the Switch?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Woah! I'm very interested in this. When I'm playing GT Sport, I like to listen to a personal Apple Music playlist from either my iPhone or iPad. Are you saying with the 9 version of the SteelSeries I will be able to listen to my Apple Music playlist as well as the game audio from GT Sport? Also would the 9s work with the Switch?

Yep, it has 2.4ghz wireless and simultaneous Bluetooth, mixed together. And yeah, it works with the Switch while docked. Check it out.

steelseries.com

Arctis 9

The SteelSeries Arctis 9 wireless gaming headset has premium surround sound, a long lasting battery, and dual wireless + Bluetooth capability.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I got the SteelSeries 7's after trying a good handful of wireless headsets earlier in the year in prep for the PS5.

It is by far the comfiest set I tried. Between the soft mesh ear cups and the ski strap headband thing, it's never fatiguing.

My biggest concern with the 3D Pulse headset is the pleather ear cups. YMMV but any headphones I've tried with that kind of material make my ears way too warm over time and my ears get sweaty. Not ideal for something potentially used for long gaming sessions.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
The main draw of the Pulse is it's integration with the system. The bonus appears to be that it punches somewhat above its weight handling game audio compared to comparatively priced headsets, according to the reviews I've seen anyway.

Pretty much this. For $99, it's wireless and just works, plus it is a decent sounding one at that according to many.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the clarification - happy about the 7x now, made a good choice. Wish I had decided this earlier but oh well, should be here next week.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I got the 7P and it already works great on PC and Nintendo Switch (both docked mode with usb a adapter, and handheld with the usb c dongle). On PC there is also a steelseries app for virtual surround, but that doesn't work on consoles. The only complain i have is that it isn't as comfortable as my Bose Quietcomfort headphone.
Yeah, that's the one difference I noticed when researching the 7P compared to the 3D Pulse... the Arctic has no way to work in wired mode, so virtual 7.1 audio on console isn't possible. For native PS5 games it isn't an issue due to Tempest 3D tech, but when the PS5 is in PS4 Pro BC mode, won't that feature be missed with 100% wireless headphones (including the 7P)?

Kenzo

alt account
Banned
Oct 9, 2020
Tsushima
I bought the Arctis 1 but my ears were touching the drivers and weren't as comfortable as my old Sennheisers. I ordered the Sennheiser PC37X after and omg they are so comfy. I am trying to get a dac for better audio and for PS5.

Johnnybarra

Nov 1, 2018
This may be silly but the only thing stopping me from getting the Arctic 7p is that micro usb charging port.

I'm at a point now where no other products will use micro usb. Why couldn't they just charge using USB-Type C? :/

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
This may be silly but the only thing stopping me from getting the Arctic 7p is that micro usb charging port.

I'm at a point now where no other products will use micro usb. Why couldn't they just charge using USB-Type C? :/
I don't understand the hate for micro USB. Sure, USB-C is better and easier to work with, but it's a hardly a deal breaker.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Still looking at 7x.

I think the cups might have green in them too?
How is the clamp force, and wobble. I thought someone else said clamp is meh and looking up and down could wobble.

And it's there any hiss?

Dreathlock

Nov 3, 2017
So when i buy a 7x and connect the dongle to a usb switcher which is connected to both xsx and ps5 i can use the headset on both consoles?

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
So when i buy a 7x and connect the dongle to a usb switcher which is connected to both xsx and ps5 i can use the headset on both consoles?
No, there is literally a switch on the USB receiver. (not my image)
IMG_20201024_135527-scaled-e1603541391108-1030x773.jpg

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
This is my thing with picking a new headset, Sony made a BIG deal out of their 3d audio, even suggesting sending molds of your ears or whatever nonsense. There's a part of me that wants to stick with my current headset until some 3rd party's can optimise to whatever's going off there.

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Thank you very much! This destroys the product for me unfortunately. Is this so uncommon to have both consoles and dont want to buy 2 headsets?
Manually switching the dongle from xsx to ps5 is something which i refuse to do.
I think this is due to Microsoft with their USB implementation. The 7X is one of the few headsets on the market that will support both consoles wirelessly (even if you have to get up to flip a switch). I still prefer this then having to buy 2 completely different headsets (but I'll rather my Arctis Pros supported Xbox wirelessly. I'll even pay for a new DAC/receiver for it).

Dreathlock

Nov 3, 2017
I think this is due to Microsoft with their USB implementation. The 7X is one of the few headsets on the market that will support both consoles wirelessly (even if you have to get up to flip a switch). I still prefer this then having to buy 2 completely different headsets (but I'll rather my Arctis Pros supported Xbox wirelessly. I'll even pay for a new DAC/receiver for it).

Flipping a switch would be ok. Physically changing the dongle from the back of console A to console B is a no go unfortunately.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Flipping a switch would be ok. Physically changing the dongle from the back of console A to console B is a no go unfortunately.

I'll probably just run a long USB to USB-C extension cable from each console to somewhere where it's more accessible to switch between them. Otherwise I'm still surprised there isn't a headset that allows you to have multiple dongles and switch between them with a button on the headset.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Old 7s won't work on the Xbox. The 7P is pretty much a rebranding of the 7s (but I think the old 7s had a Game/Voice knob),
Only the 7X will work on everything due to the Xbox/USB switch on the receiver.

You're right...not sure what the advantage is to buying the 7 or the 7p at this point if the 7x has more compatibility options and is the same price.

I don't think this is right. 7X and 7P are designated to the Xbox and PlayStation, respectively.

Unless that 7X works just fine on both.

The 7X works on all consoles, and the 7P doesn't according to their website

steelseries.com

Arctis 7X Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox

The SteelSeries Arctis 7X wireless gaming headset for Xbox is designed for Xbox Series X|S with backwards compatibility for Xbox One and has long-lasting 24 hour battery life.

steelseries.com

Arctis 7P Wireless Gaming Headset for PS5

The SteelSeries Arctis 7P wireless gaming headset for PlayStation is designed for PS5 with backwards compatibility for PS4 and has long-lasting 24 hour battery life.

MattDoza

Oct 27, 2017
Eastern WA
The 7X works on all consoles, and the 7P doesn't according to their website

steelseries.com

Arctis 7X Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox

The SteelSeries Arctis 7X wireless gaming headset for Xbox is designed for Xbox Series X|S with backwards compatibility for Xbox One and has long-lasting 24 hour battery life.

steelseries.com

Arctis 7P Wireless Gaming Headset for PS5

The SteelSeries Arctis 7P wireless gaming headset for PlayStation is designed for PS5 with backwards compatibility for PS4 and has long-lasting 24 hour battery life.
You're right. It says so if you scroll down but the quick summary leaves out that fact. Kind of odd. I guess they would rather customers get the headset for their desired console.

Game everywhere with the compact USB-C dongle for a seamless transition between Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PC, PlayStation, Android, and Nintendo Switch

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I saw they sell them. Do we know for a fact that you can do this and be synced to two receivers?

The one thing you have to do is pairing the headset with the current dongle you want to use. There's a button on the side of the dongle for that.

According to the manual, you need to start the pairing on a PC, so it wouldn't work like what you think.

Oh right. I forgot about that initial PC setup.

Dreathlock

Nov 3, 2017
I'll probably just run a long USB to USB-C extension cable from each console to somewhere where it's more accessible to switch between them. Otherwise I'm still surprised there isn't a headset that allows you to have multiple dongles and switch between them with a button on the headset.

This is actually a good idea, thank you. Hmmm.. Now i am seriously considering cancelling my pulse 3d order. The tempest 3D audio is the same as on the pulses, right?

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've just bought a v-moda boom mic to go with my existing headphones.. Plugged it straight into my ds4 and headphone jack and it works great. I presume it'll work fine on the dualsense too. Just in case anyone is looking for other headset solutions, this may be a decent stop gap

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
This is actually a good idea, thank you. Hmmm.. Now i am seriously considering cancelling my pulse 3d order. The tempest 3D audio is the same as on the pulses, right?
I don't think anybody will fully know this until more people get their hands on a PS5 and test it, but I'd imagine that the tempest engine is the same thing as Windows Sonic, and DTS:X, where it will work on any pair of headphones as long as their are connected via the controller or USB (I'm also pretty sure Sony said this too).

EDIT: Found the blog post that says it: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/1...v-virtual-surround-sound-coming-after-launch/