• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there really no OT for this game? I'm 4 chapters in and it's pretty great so far with a snappy, flexible combat system.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played 10 minutes before work this morning, but it appears to be like all Steamworld games in quality.

imageform always delivers. Did you develop the card mechanics completely digitally or did you make physical decks and test them out that way? And have there been any discussions to make a physical card game?

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Is there really no OT for this game? I'm 4 chapters in and it's pretty great so far with a snappy, flexible combat system.
I think it's because it's a card-based RPG which is a more niche genre compared to the other SteamWorld games, so maybe the excitement isn't quite as high. Either way I'm excited to download it later after work.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's because it's a card-based RPG which is a more niche genre compared to the other SteamWorld games, so maybe the excitement isn't quite as high. Either way I'm excited to download it later after work.
also no marketing because outside resetera and the nintendo direct, i would have never heard of this game

imageform

Image & Form Games
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
I've only played 10 minutes before work this morning, but it appears to be like all Steamworld games in quality.

imageform always delivers. Did you develop the card mechanics completely digitally or did you make physical decks and test them out that way? And have there been any discussions to make a physical card game?
Thanks for asking! We actually tried playing with "physical cards" - pieces of paper with lots of numbers on them - to try out at an early stage. It became difficult after a while as the number of cards grew, but by that time we could already test everything digitally. We've talked about a physical card game, we'll see how we'd have to do that. My colleagues are all brilliant people so I'm sure they'd design something fiercely clever - but right now we want to catch our breath and think about new (video) games. :) /Brjann

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You're probably right which is a shame. I hope people give this one a chance because as a reviewer said, it doesn't really feel like a card-based RPG.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
since we have no OT (wtf?) let me quote myself from the e-shop thread as a PSA (in my opinion of course)

just judging from the first chapter / tutorial, you deffinately want to play Steamworld Quest on hard. I mean, I hope I dont regret this later on (actually I think you can change difficulty at any time) but I played a few battles on normal, restarted on hard and yeah, huge difference. Enemies actually hurt on hard, so you actually have to use...all your cards, you mana barriers, your healing cards or items, you cant just spam attacks, it feels much better. I even read that on normal you can pretty much ignore the elemental weaknesses aspect of the game, and why would you want to do that >_>
Anyway, put 3 hours into it, my advice: If you have any sort of experience with card games in the slightest, play on hard (or "legend" as its called here). I'm not even usually a "I need challenge" guy, I play all my games on normal, but yeah.

First boss was actually hard, I died twice and barely killed him when I did, I had to change my deck a few times to adjust too. Second boss was super easy, the whole chapter was in fact. So my advice, play on legend, where you actually need to think about your decks and adjust them as needed.

to add to this, just beat chapter 4 and died once to the boss, only to adjust a bit and beat him after (losing 2 party members and having to revive one of them with a item, I only had 1 item).

So yeah, Im loving this but I fear it would be quite boring on normal.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for asking! We actually tried playing with "physical cards" - pieces of paper with lots of numbers on them - to try out at an early stage. It became difficult after a while as the number of cards grew, but by that time we could already test everything digitally. We've talked about a physical card game, we'll see how we'd have to do that. My colleagues are all brilliant people so I'm sure they'd design something fiercely clever - but right now we want to catch our breath and think about new (video) games. :) /Brjann

Thank you.

Another question: While the games and universe have evolved over the past decade, is there a philosophy I&G have held on to since the first game that helps you keep the feeling of SteamWorld? Or maybe what makes you keep deciding to make games, in different genres, take place in this universe?

imageform

Image & Form Games
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Thank you.

Another question: While the games and universe have evolved over the past decade, is there a philosophy I&G have held on to since the first game that helps you keep the feeling of SteamWorld? Or maybe what makes you keep deciding to make games, in different genres, take place in this universe?
Great questions! One thing we want to make sure of is that the games are consistently good, preferably great. Another thing is that we must be able to somehow place the game on the same timeline as the others. For example, SteamWorld Heist wasn't conceived as a SteamWorld game from the beginning. But it was quite practical that it starred robots since (a) it entailed a lot of shooting: you can't kill robots, just damage them (they can always be put back together again), and (b) we got to expand this strange universe. Now that we have robots in what looks like medieval times in SW Quest, it seems they can be anywhere. But it's all on the same timeline. If you look closely in all the games, there are quite a few references (both graphical and story-wise) among the games. I'm sure we'll also make non-SteamWorld games as well some day.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Do you have the link to the message?

Great questions! One thing we want to make sure of is that the games are consistently good, preferably great. Another thing is that we must be able to somehow place the game on the same timeline as the others. For example, SteamWorld Heist wasn't conceived as a SteamWorld game from the beginning. But it was quite practical that it starred robots since (a) it entailed a lot of shooting: you can't kill robots, just damage them (they can always be put back together again), and (b) we got to expand this strange universe. Now that we have robots in what looks like medieval times in SW Quest, it seems they can be anywhere. But it's all on the same timeline. If you look closely in all the games, there are quite a few references (both graphical and story-wise) among the games. I'm sure we'll also make non-SteamWorld games as well some day.

Edit: Woops, only captured the answers. The Q&A is on this page :)