• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Super in. Love these days and this team love how they've been trying out new types of games.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
USGamer 4 out of 5-
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/steamworld-quest-hand-of-gilgamech-review
"SteamWorld Quest is a diet RPG, but it still contains plentiful portions of Image & Form's unique charm and humor. Its card-based battle system is engaging, and you might find yourself enjoying it a lot even if you're not a big fan of digital card games. Expect a straightforward journey that ends much sooner than most RPGs, but maybe a 15-hour quest isn't such a bad thing in a genre that keeps piling on 100-hour epics"

Oct 25, 2017
Some select quotes from USGamer:
Count on SteamWorld Quest to give you a challenge worthy of your best cards, too. The game's not a pushover, even on normal mode. Enemies aren't afraid to use buffs, debuffs, and status-sapping attacks like Poison and Burn. There's a hard mode if you're up for it (you can change the game's difficulty at any time), and there's a Coliseum where you can test your endurance against a veritable parade of baddies.

Like most SteamWorld games, SteamWorld Quest is over quickly. The chapter-by-chapter progression is linear, and every area you explore is divided into rooms (the format reminds me of Odin Sphere). There are hidden treasures and hidden rooms to find in each chapter, but don't expect to do a lot of exploration. You make all your purchases from one travelling merchant (who's admittedly a hoot) and are expected to follow a straight path.

Yet, I never found SteamWorld Quest tedious, even when I wished to slip my bonds and explore more of the world contained outside its invisible walls. The lack of random encounters helps. All enemies appear directly in-level, and you can initiate a first strike if you whack them with Armilly's sword. Dead enemies stay dead on the level maps, though they can resurrect if you approach a Gilgamech hero statue and ask to be healed. Dark Souls Bonfires: Not even the SteamWorld universe can escape them.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
I won't link my own video in this post so that I can avoid doing self-promo, but I want to chime in and say that Steamworld Quest is great. When I wasn't playing the game, I was thinking about it and all the things I wanted to try with cards I wasn't using. I agree with the critique against it (great characters that the story doesn't live up to, as an example), but I&F have a great foundation here and as soon as the credits rolled I was hungry for more. I hope they make another.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I played and beat it, it was a pretty enjoyable experience. It felt like Baten Kaitos lite.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
hmmm reviews seem to be in the 7s

referring to Easy Allies and Boomstick gaming which I tend to trust

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
A card based battle system in which each character has a specific set of cards that are customizable to your unique style? Stop I can only get so erect.

BenSmith

Handsome Phantom
Verified
Mar 8, 2019
Butler, PA
boomstick's primary concerns was that the overland exploration was barebones, there wasn't a ton of variety with the monsters, and its pretty simple?

He's not wrong about the overland, but I don't think that's what the game is about. It's about the battles using the card system. There are more than 70 different monsters (though you only see some of them once).

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in act 3 and while the story is simple (but not bad by any means), the writing has been truly stellar. Gameplay is great as well; I have been enjoying it much much more than Slay the Spire for example, and I haven't even touched two of the characters. Gonna save those two for a second playthrough.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Huh, they broke the embargo an hour early. 4pm GMT which is 5pm BST here in the UK. 5 minutes to go anyway :)

Edit -

My review just went live here - https://gaminglyf.com/reviews/2019-04-23-steamworld-quest-review-hearthstone-meets-final-fantasy/

I gave it 4/5. Really enjoyed my time with the game, took me roughly 12hrs 20 minutes to complete for those interested. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer!

Good review. The only part of this review/video that worried me was the line, "I could stick with the same build, I didn't need to change up my tactics very much once I found an optimal build."

... That kiiiinda worries me about these games. I prefer these types of RPGs to force you out of comfort zones and not let you use the same strat over and over again. I need to read/listen to other reviews, but that was a concerning line. That kind of reminds me of playing Battle Chasers. It was easy to find an "optimal build" and then just keep repeating your offense over and over again until you win.

Is the combat more strategic than most RPGs?

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised it's reviewing well. Seems like I&F have really hit their stride and can consistently put out quality titles. Definitely excited to jump into it this weekend. It will be a nice change of pace from Sekiro.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I was admittedly hoping this would be more "RPG with card-based battle system," not "card-focused game with minimal RPG elements."

Was also hoping that ~25hr estimate was more accurate, but it doesn't sound like there's much optional content at all.

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it also took me about 15 hours to finish. Hoped for more, but I was satisfied with its length.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Good review. The only part of this review/video that worried me was the line, "I could stick with the same build, I didn't need to change up my tactics very much once I found an optimal build."

... That kiiiinda worries me about these games. I prefer these types of RPGs to force you out of comfort zones and not let you use the same strat over and over again. I need to read/listen to other reviews, but that was a concerning line. That kind of reminds me of playing Battle Chasers. It was easy to find an "optimal build" and then just keep repeating your offense over and over again until you win.

Yeah, I want to know more about the difficulty as well. Couldn't finish Thronebreaker because battles were mind numbing after some point.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

Yeah, I want to know more about the difficulty as well. Couldn't finish Thronebreaker because battles were mind numbing after some point.

I think I stumbled across a fairly strong combo. Once I settled on it I swapped out some cards here and there which matched the style I was going for as I came across them, but when I experimented with the other characters I found myself feeling worse off. I imagine most will create completely different builds though - there's a hell of a lot of flexibility available. I personally struggled to find viable builds for the other characters but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. It just depends how you like to play I'd say!

There's a real difficulty spike right towards the end and the colloseum definitely forces you to switch things up in the tougher rounds. If you put it on hard you'll be in for a challenge for sure (difficulty can be changed on the fly too).

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely getting this, I fancy my card games, but maybe not day 1. Too much other stuff to play atm

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there gonna be a review thread for this? Anxious for the reviews and I like them to be easily plopped together for me!

OK ignore me, I clearly hadn't read the rest of the thread.

Last edited:

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I think I stumbled across a fairly strong combo. Once I settled on it I swapped out some cards here and there which matched the style I was going for as I came across them, but when I experimented with the other characters I found myself feeling worse off. I imagine most will create completely different builds though - there's a hell of a lot of flexibility available. I personally struggled to find viable builds for the other characters but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. It just depends how you like to play I'd say!

There's a real difficulty spike right towards the end and the colloseum definitely forces you to switch things up in the tougher rounds. If you put it on hard you'll be in for a challenge for sure (difficulty can be changed on the fly too).
Cool thanks for that clarification!

Would you say this game is like 75% combst and 20% tinkering with your deck and Maye 5% exploration and story? That's what all the videos have made it seem like.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Game looks great, but Getting on Switch is not something I am interested in. Will wait for the PC release.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
My wife is OBSESSED with Slay the Spire (on PC). I'm curious about purchasing this for myself and seeing if she'll be into it. This looks nothing like STS, since the card mechanic is really just... your usual turn based RPG combat, with, cards.

Apr 24, 2018
I played and beat it, it was a pretty enjoyable experience. It felt like Baten Kaitos lite.
Baten Kaitos?
100.webp

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Nice. 80 metacritic and short length for an RPG is a good thing with my game backlog, started a new game of Odyssey and also just got division 2 and just now anthem

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Going to put up my review tomorrow if I can get it plow through editing the video tonight. Short version: It's yet another Steamworld game, in as much as it stands out for how it bucks the trends typically expected of the genre, albeit not to the same success as Heist or Steamworld Dig 1 & 2.

-The card-based combat has a fair amount of depth to it once you start to unlock combos but the opening hours can be a bit dull with how often you'll find yourself using the same cards; early on, there's rarely any moment where you'll find a need to swap out your beginning decks and it takes some time before you get any cards you'll want to add to your deck (Coppernica's glass cannon card comes in handy during some of the trickier boss fights) or party members with whom you can activate combos/special effects like having a chance to instantly kill an enemy
-The game's difficulty spikes all over the place; some chapters are an absolute cruise while others will see you getting destroyed by the boss despite wielding the best equipment you can buy/find.
-The dialogue in this game is drowning in memes and humor that detracts from the more serious tone that Quest in going for. While previous Steamworld games had their share of jokes, they were nowhere near. Also they didn't reference"Milkshake". If you like memes, you'll love the dialogue in this game but I found it to be more disappointing since Quest can be funny when it's trying something original (or at least referencing a meme that I haven't seen a million times before), namely with how clever it can be in how it subverts the typical tropes one would find in a more straight-faced scenario
-You've probably seen it in the trailer but this game is gorgeous; easily the best looking game in the series, Hand of Gilgamech's steampunk-like aesthetic works wonderfully in a fantasy kingdom a la Dragon Quest.

Of the loosely connected Steamworld series, Heist is still the strongest offering but Steamworld Quest comes recommended based solely on the strength of its unique take on turn-based combat.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
-The dialogue in this game is drowning in memes and humor that detracts from the more serious tone that Quest in going for. While previous Steamworld games had their share of jokes, they were nowhere near. Also they didn't reference"Milkshake". If you like memes, you'll love the dialogue in this game but I found it to be more disappointing since Quest can be funny when it's trying something original (or at least referencing a meme that I haven't seen a million times before), namely with how clever it can be in how it subverts the typical tropes one would find in a more straight-faced scenario

ew. that's unfortunate.

imageform

Image & Form Games
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Hi all, very happy that you guys are here talking about our games! :D Please ask us anything - we'll try to answer as soon as possible! /Brjann, Image & Form

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I almost never do this, but I'm thinking of buying this day 1.

I resisted Monster Boy but I don't think I can resist Steamworld...