• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Quest is a 20 hour RPG you'll play through once. Slay The Spire is a roguelite you'll go through many times. Both are card games, but are quite different beyond that.

Oh, I'm quite aware of that. I already have 300+ hours of StS gameplay on Steam. I meant to say that I might not even finish Quest's campaign if StS releases relatively close to Quest. But I guess I can finish it between Spire runs :)

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Will pick it up when it's on sale

*Have too many games I want and will be buying to grab this at full price

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I'm quite aware of that. I already have 300+ hours of StS gameplay on Steam. I meant to say that I might not even finish Quest's campaign if StS releases relatively close to Quest. But I guess I can finish it between Spire runs :)

I think the console ports of StS are still a ways off. I believe the devs said they'll have an update at the end of the month.

JuiceMan_V

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
There's something I like about the Steamworld games that I like, but I can't put my finger on it, it makes me feel good.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
IGN compared it to Paper Mario:

There's exploring for secrets and talking to NPCs.

Not sure what you are expecting then. It's not like the previous Steamworld games were full of cutscenes without chattering or deep environmental storytelling. Even less sure why you want heavy story games if you think games usually have bad writing, but you do you.

This is why RPG and Steamworld are a bad match. If they were looking for a new genre, it should have been strategy, TD, dungeon crawler, or fantasy sim. Not all games have bed writing.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think the console ports of StS are still a ways off. I believe the devs said they'll have an update at the end of the month.

Devs said they may make a release announcement at the end of the month. They were supposed to do so last month, but it got delayed. And supposedly release date would have been close to the announcement.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
It certainly has the I&F quality and charm, just like all their games, but this one is like Heist for me, i know I won't like it. Not a fan of turn based combat. Eagerly awaiting for Dig 3. Hope this one is a hit by Image & Form, they deserve all the praise.

I wasn't a fan of turn-based stategy games prior to Heist. I love that game and have beaten it 3 times.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sold on the gameplay but I've loved every steamworld game so I'll likely pick it up if reviews are good

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

Shizza

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the other SteamWorld games, and look forward to another game from this team. Love the varied game types each game brings, while keeping similar characters and delivering fantastic soundtracks!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This looks fantastic, I hadn't been disappointed by a Steamworld game yet. I love the character designs as steampunk robot knight/mage etc, and the 'punch card' idea for skills for the robots is beautiful.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Given that this is such a departure from their previous ventures, I'm going to wait for reviews, but I've enjoyed everything else they've done up to this point. Hope it delivers! Would be happy to pick it up.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Steamworld Heist so they have earned my money if the reviews are at least decent.

Edit: Thought it was for all platforms. Will have to wait for either PC or PS4

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Hundreds of hours in Slay the Spire means I'm getting this. Looks good! Is it 15 or 20 bucks?

Not so much looking for the same rogue elements as above said, but the flow of battles. I like the idea of having a structured RPG with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Hundreds of hours in Slay the Spire means I'm getting this. Looks good! Is it 15 or 20 bucks?

Not so much looking for the same rogue elements as above said, but the flow of battles. I like the idea of having a structured RPG with it.
~25: https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...railer-out-on-april-25th.112899/post-20077483

This. I wish I were seeing more hype for this on Era. SteamWorld Dig 2 and SteamWorld Heist are two of my favorite games of the gen.
Super hyped, but I gotta wait for the ports ):

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait for reviews just in case, but there's a 95% chance i pick this up on Friday. I've been waiting for Slay the Spire to hit Switch since before this was even announced, and shitty luck for them, this will fit the bill nicely.
Image & Form hasn't made a bad game yet. I'm totally getting this.

JTyrmi

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Won't buy it blindly, but so far it's looking really good. I have all the previous Steamworld games and they've been great, so I have high hopes for this one too. But still need to see how it reviews.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a switch, but Steamworld Heist is my favorite game in iOS, so I'll definitely buy this once it releases (if it releases) on mobile

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Not Day 1, but it'll probably be my next buy once I'm done with Ys 8.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Heist and Dig 2. Quest is most likely a day one purchase for me. Hopefully this does well for them so they can continue to pump out games and maybe make a Heist 2

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
The AMA on Reddit still seems to be live, if you want to ask some questions about the game.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I liked Dig and Dig 2 a lot, but like some others mentioned, not a fan of this genre at all. Looks like I'm going to stick with the other releases from this week.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Out of Steamworld Dig and the other one (Don't remember It's name) They really found their calling with the art style in this one.

I adore Steamworld Dig 2s art style, but this here is what I really hope the spin offs of the series looks like. It's beautifully drawn.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Looking forward to sharing my thoughts on this tomorrow - just wrapped up work on my review today. If anyone has any questions about the game once the embargo lifts I'll be happy to help answer whatever I can!

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
It certainly has the I&F quality and charm, just like all their games, but this one is like Heist for me, i know I won't like it. Not a fan of turn based combat. Eagerly awaiting for Dig 3. Hope this one is a hit by Image & Form, they deserve all the praise.

This is me exactly. Love both Dig games but did not enjoy Heist at all. I also dont enjoy anything card battle related so it's clearly not for me. But I do love the I&F folks so I hope this game is a hit for them!!

ZabelRock

Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling that there isnt going to be much synergy between the cards because they lack a text box to give them more unique traits like Slay the Spire. Hopefully im wrong because i love card games and image&form.

Oct 25, 2017
The AMA on Reddit still seems to be live, if you want to ask some questions about the game.
Thanks for the tip.

Gonna collect some answers here:

As a big fan of your past Steamworld games, but one who typically does not tend to gravitate towards "card-based" videogames, is there something you feel is unique or special enough about SW Quest that warrants giving it a go?
Thanks!

At it's core it's very much a SteamWorld game and like Heist it was made with our existing player base in mind. The Dig players wanted more Dig, but for many Heist turned out to be a great entryway to turn-based strategy. I think Quest is very similar to that. The world is and feels similar and we have the same level of quality, depth and accessibility as all our previous games.
tl;dr: If you like previous SteamWorld games you'll love this!

How challenging is Quest?
There are three different difficulty settings, ranging from "pretty easy but still challenging" to "devilishly hard".

Any planned DLC or future stories for the game?
No planned DLC, but we're open to the idea!

One of the things I like about Steamworld is that it's just that, it's a world. You can see how the events of Dig 2 lead into how the world is in Heist (still hoping for a Piper, Dorothy, Rusty team-up!) will there be something like that in Quest? Will it become apparent how it fits into the greater Steamworld?

In short: YES! We even hint at it in the trailer!

So, I played the hell out of Slay the Spire, and I have to assume someone over on your end took a long, hard look at that game's approach to a card-based RPG. How would you compare/contrast Steamworld Quest to Slay the Spire?
Well, first of all it's not a roguelike! And the battle system is different, too! Quest is a JRPG with card game mechanics and little to no downtime!

Regarding Steamworld Quest: Is the adventure linear, or does the story have side quest and branches?
It's fairly straightforward! Some extra content towards the end!

What sort of resolution and frame rate are we looking at docked/portable? :)
Docked: 1080p 60fps
Handheld: 720 60fps

All your games are amazing! I only have one question: PC when? ;)
ASAP after the Switch release :D

Are there special cards you can get for your decks by beating certain bosses or doing certain quests? Or do you acquire all cards normally and just have a low chance of getting really good legendary ones?

We have spaced out all the cards at fitting locations. There is no chance involved. Some are almost impossible to miss while some are a bit harder to find in hidden chests, etc.

Any chance of a physical release? Maybe for Steamworld Dig and Heist as well.:)
YES! Coming later this year for Quest :D We might do something for earlier games, too!