• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I LOVE that the cards are actually punch cards. Don't know if you kids will get the joke, but they're perfect for steam powered robots.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted people to know I understood the joke with the first two Void soldiers that you fight name's.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
after hitting another boss roadblock on hard, decided to play the rest of the game on normal (I cant be arsed switching to hard on "trash" and normal on bosses) so I now gimp myself by barely using defensive cards in my deck (not using mana barrier or Copernica or even her default weapon because that party barrier from using 3 blue skills pretty much breaks the game on normal), so at least I lose health now between fights and sorta-kinda have to heal sometimes with the healers... I mean, it's not exactly ideal but well, at least it doesnt feel like a complete rollover and bosses aren't ridiculous anymore.

Ideally the game would have the trash difficulty from hard and the boss difficulty from normal in my opinion :/

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to wait for the physical. Looking back, I would have loved to have Steamworld Dig 2 in a box instead of downloaded. Such an awesome game.

OP
OP
jariw

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really terrible at finding all the hidden chests. Haven't played one single chapter yet where I found all the chests.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I'm really terrible at finding all the hidden chests. Haven't played one single chapter yet where I found all the chests.

Lol same, I've seen the percentage at the end of some chapters and been shocked. Granted I'm kind of casually playing through and not that dedicated with finding them but lord!

Pretty cool actually that hidden things are actually hidden.

Grimace McRib

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Just bought Dragon's Dogma and MK11 on the Switch, so it's a bit hard to justify buying this now. Really would like to see this on the Apple Store, seems perfect for my iPad Pro.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
First 2 chapters are great. Card mechanics are great. Quick and easy to understand but a different strategy than I'm used to (which is good). The humor is the same wonderful quirky I&G I know and love. Love the art too. SteamWorld is so distinct.

OP
OP
jariw

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
First 2 chapters are great. Card mechanics are great. Quick and easy to understand but a different strategy than I'm used to (which is good). The humor is the same wonderful quirky I&G I know and love. Love the art too. SteamWorld is so distinct.

...and the music is really fantastic in the game. BTW, one of the best design choices IMO, is that the chapters are reasonably short. It makes the game very easy and inviting to play.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the music, another stellar soundtrack. It's hard to list all the great things because there is so much of it.

Merino

Oct 26, 2017
after hitting another boss roadblock on hard, decided to play the rest of the game on normal (I cant be arsed switching to hard on "trash" and normal on bosses) so I now gimp myself by barely using defensive cards in my deck (not using mana barrier or Copernica or even her default weapon because that party barrier from using 3 blue skills pretty much breaks the game on normal), so at least I lose health now between fights and sorta-kinda have to heal sometimes with the healers... I mean, it's not exactly ideal but well, at least it doesnt feel like a complete rollover and bosses aren't ridiculous anymore.

Ideally the game would have the trash difficulty from hard and the boss difficulty from normal in my opinion :/
Awh damn I should have come in here before buying the game. I just know this is gonna be me in a couple of days.

Hoping for a difficulty patch then?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Awh damn I should have come in here before buying the game. I just know this is gonna be me in a couple of days.

Actually, it's just really tricky, since you're at a point where you have limited options, since you unlock card upgrading after.

You have to be SUPER defensive to get past this part on hard, I had trouble, but I got past it.

Your most important tool is Galleo's Blindness card, since it makes both enemies miss a ton of their attacks, keeping pressure down significantly. Since Captain Canary can practically one-shot a party member with a simple, otherwise unavoidable setup, this is practically the only way to keep afloat.

After that, it's all about keeping up both Copernica's shields, both the free one and the hero chain one, making sure Galleo can heal up anyone running dry on health with his healing buff and mend, regeneration optional, but helpful, and having your last party member provide damage however they can.

Keep you're defenses up, and keep both of the bosses blinded, especially Canary since he get's two turns, and you'll eventually take him down, and whittle down the dragon afterwards.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I legit didn't even realize that his wasn't out on pc and other consoles yet. Spent longer than I care to admit trying to get it on steam and it isn't even listed.
Their releases have typically always been staggered, although Dig 2 PC release was only a day later than Switch. Heist came 7 months after the initial release on 3DS though.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Their releases have typically always been staggered, although Dig 2 PC release was only a day later than Switch. Heist came 7 months after the initial release on 3DS though.

Huh go figure. Had no idea Heist was a 3ds game.

Well I'll probably get this once it finally makes the jump. Looks like my ideal summer game.

imageform

Image & Form Games
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
huh, ch6 boss (ch7? some dont have bosses, its the
first boss returning + the dragon
) seems completely impossible on hard, welp, that's what I get for preaching hard mode on you guys lol, dat karma.

Im level 17 and previous chapters give fuck all xp to grind to a higher lvl (I replayed ch 6 to get a chest I missed and got like 10% of a level if that), Ive tried all sorts of character or deck combinations, I've crafted all the cards and bought all the available weapons too. -the whole "bosses get 2 actions per turn" is pretty bullshit (already was in previous bosses) and the lack of difficulty balance as a whole is dragging the game down a few notches for me (sorry imageform ), which is a shame because I love everything about the game otherwise. Normal seems completely undertuned and you can ignore mechanics and just brute force your way without thinking, and hard makes bosses way too hard (the normal battles seem fine).

Oh well guess ill drop it to normal, cba with this boss any more.

edit: yup, on normal it was stupid easy, barely had to even heal they couldnt even pass my barriers. This is a bummer :(
Hi all, just got back! Thanks for the kind words. Hi Rhaknar, sorry the game is treating you rudely on the hard setting - especially as you've talked it up for us! Dat karma indeed. Wish I could answer immediately myself and hint at some monster move, but I'm pretty vanilla myself. I'll get on the horn with our game director Peter and ask him + see if he can hint at something regarding this boss without giving it away. I know for sure that the hardest level definitely is doable (as you say it's of course meant to be hard) and it's quite a bit harder than Normal.

I'll be back, Rhaknar. <3

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Hi all, just got back! Thanks for the kind words. Hi Rhaknar, sorry the game is treating you rudely on the hard setting - especially as you've talked it up for us! Dat karma indeed. Wish I could answer immediately myself and hint at some monster move, but I'm pretty vanilla myself. I'll get on the horn with our game director Peter and ask him + see if he can hint at something regarding this boss without giving it away. I know for sure that the hardest level definitely is doable (as you say it's of course meant to be hard) and it's quite a bit harder than Normal.

Very kind of you to show up and offer assistance!

I've detailed some advice earlier for succeeding without beating it on normal first, but any interaction with the devs is greatly appreciated! You guys did a fantastic job with the game, and I applaud the efforts of the entire team!

imageform

Image & Form Games
Verified
Feb 12, 2019

I realized it's 10:40 pm on Friday night, Peter may not get back right away... however, have a look at post #72. Some really useful hints there.

imageform

Image & Form Games
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Very kind of you to show up and offer assistance!

I've detailed some advice earlier for succeeding without beating it on normal first, but any interaction with the devs is greatly appreciated! You guys did a fantastic job with the game, and I applaud the efforts of the entire team!
Haha, I just referred to your post! :D Thank YOU!

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Played for 20 minutes last night, seems cool.

This might be the only 'card based' videogame that's ever made a good impression on me.

Wait, Metal Gear Acid was cool too.

So the SECOND card-based videogame

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

you can freely change the difficulty thankfully, but yeah, its pretty unbalanced. Still love them game tho.

it's not, just some select bosses. I actually keep going back and forth between normal and hard, im like semi-QAing the game (my runtime is going to be double of what it should be lol), and the conclusion is always the same:

"Trash" (as in anything that isnt a boss) fights on Legend are fine, you need to use all sorts of skills, adjust your decks, all that jazz you want from the game. As long as you keep your decks updated, explore (or buy) gear etc you are fine and its super satisfying (its still on the easy side mind you, especially with Copernica's team barrier default weapon equipped). "Trash" fights on normal not only can you just brute force them easily, but if you use Copernica's team barrier it complçetely negates any fight on normal, because it seems 90% of the enemy attacks arent strong enouh to break it, so you are never in any danger. Hell, you are barely in danger if you dont use it (which like I said earlier, Im not anymore) because theres still the healing characters aswell.

The bosses on the other hand, again in my opinion and from limited testing, seem overtuned on Legend (aka hard). It's actually a numbers issue too, something that could be tweeked I reckon. A good example last night:

was with the slime king boss. So the slime king boss can heal, on normal it heals for about 330 I believe, which is fine because at the level you are at the time, with a full chain on Armilly for example you can do 500-600 damage. The problem is, on hard/Legend, his heal is now 550 (or something like that) so alot of the time you cant outdamage what he heals, and because he can heal AND still do another action (because bosses can do multiple actions), he is constantly outpacing you. Same for his slime aoe skill that hits random members, twice I got unlucky on hard and most of the hits hit 1 member (Armilly too who has a lot of health), it went through Corpenica's barrier and STILL one shot Armilly.

Same happened with the dragon+dude boss, the dmg they did was more than what I could realistically handle (the dude's expose weakness straight up 1 shots marked people on hard), or I could handle but if you waste a entire turn healing up, youre not doing dmg so its a constant state of 1 step forward 2 steps back. This boss was particularly frustrating too because even if I wanted to grind, the previous chapter (ch5 I believe, the dragon is ch6) barely gave any xp at level 17, so there was nothing i could actually do.

On normal the bosses seem "fine" I guess, the difference between both difficulties is too extreme compared to the difference between difficulties on trash mobs. So maybe the numbers on the bosses on Legend are turned up a bit too much I dunno how your engine works, I'm sure you can test yourself, or hellm, maybe someone will come in and say im completely wrong, and thats fine :)

And like I said, I'm still loving the game, and I still think its well worth getting.

OP
OP
jariw

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
you can freely change the difficulty thankfully, but yeah, its pretty unbalanced. Still love them game tho.

it's not, just some select bosses. I actually keep going back and forth between normal and hard, im like semi-QAing the game (my runtime is going to be double of what it should be lol), and the conclusion is always the same:

"Trash" (as in anything that isnt a boss) fights on Legend are fine, you need to use all sorts of skills, adjust your decks, all that jazz you want from the game. As long as you keep your decks updated, explore (or buy) gear etc you are fine and its super satisfying (its still on the easy side mind you, especially with Copernica's team barrier default weapon equipped). "Trash" fights on normal not only can you just brute force them easily, but if you use Copernica's team barrier it complçetely negates any fight on normal, because it seems 90% of the enemy attacks arent strong enouh to break it, so you are never in any danger. Hell, you are barely in danger if you dont use it (which like I said earlier, Im not anymore) because theres still the healing characters aswell.

The bosses on the other hand, again in my opinion and from limited testing, seem overtuned on Legend (aka hard). It's actually a numbers issue too, something that could be tweeked I reckon. A good example last night:

was with the slime king boss. So the slime king boss can heal, on normal it heals for about 330 I believe, which is fine because at the level you are at the time, with a full chain on Armilly for example you can do 500-600 damage. The problem is, on hard/Legend, his heal is now 550 (or something like that) so alot of the time you cant outdamage what he heals, and because he can heal AND still do another action (because bosses can do multiple actions), he is constantly outpacing you. Same for his slime aoe skill that hits random members, twice I got unlucky on hard and most of the hits hit 1 member (Armilly too who has a lot of health), it went through Corpenica's barrier and STILL one shot Armilly.

Same happened with the dragon+dude boss, the dmg they did was more than what I could realistically handle (the dude's expose weakness straight up 1 shots marked people on hard), or I could handle but if you waste a entire turn healing up, youre not doing dmg so its a constant state of 1 step forward 2 steps back. This boss was particularly frustrating too because even if I wanted to grind, the previous chapter (ch5 I believe, the dragon is ch6) barely gave any xp at level 17, so there was nothing i could actually do.

On normal the bosses seem "fine" I guess, the difference between both difficulties is too extreme compared to the difference between difficulties on trash mobs. So maybe the numbers on the bosses on Legend are turned up a bit too much I dunno how your engine works, I'm sure you can test yourself, or hellm, maybe someone will come in and say im completely wrong, and thats fine :)

And like I said, I'm still loving the game, and I still think its well worth getting.

Are you absolutely sure you aren't overlooking some mechanism (or some card setup) that would prevent this from happening? I doubt that the Legend mode is untested.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Are you absolutely sure you aren't overlooking some mechanism (or some card setup) that would prevent this from happening? I doubt that the Legend mode is untested.

I died like 6 or 7 times with all sorts of deck combos / character swaps on both bosses before swapping to normal, I have almost every card crafted, and in one of the bosses, card upgrades werent even available yet, and like I said I couldnt realistically grind higher level because at the level I was at, I was barely getting xp anymore (from the zones available). I didnt say it was untested, I said its overtuned (and normal is undertuned). Tuning (over or under) is one of the most common things to happen in videogames, hell in card games especially, doesnt mean the games arent tested.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Enjoying the game but the game feels really stingy with money. Any tips on grinding gold?

I'd say, if you're feeling low on gold for Upgrades, try fight larger groups of enemies. Not only will they drop more gold, more importantly, they'll drop more items and Upgrade materials. If you're early enough, 20 gold per material is a fortune every fight! And when you're much later in the game, and gold comes quicker then items, you can still buy them back, though at quite the premium.

I wouldn't recommend buying too many items though, outside of status restoratives of course. Using items interrupts the flow of combat a bit since they don't provide cogs and don't clear cards from the board, so relying on them outside of emergencies isn't ideal.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Enjoying the game but the game feels really stingy with money. Any tips on grinding gold?
Resource management was my greatest struggle, but I actually enjoyed not having a monetary surplus for once. SW Quest doesn't let me be an item hoarder like in every other RPG I play.

That said, you might meet an interesting party member (or two?) that has a rather useful mugging attack to swipe extra gold from enemies. Abuse that when you get the chance, if you're looking for more gold.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I died like 6 or 7 times with all sorts of deck combos / character swaps on both bosses before swapping to normal, I have almost every card crafted, and in one of the bosses, card upgrades werent even available yet, and like I said I couldnt realistically grind higher level because at the level I was at, I was barely getting xp anymore (from the zones available). I didnt say it was untested, I said its overtuned (and normal is undertuned). Tuning (over or under) is one of the most common things to happen in videogames, hell in card games especially, doesnt mean the games arent tested.

I think it's fair to say that hard mode, at least at Canary's second fight, is a little overturned.

However, by the time you gotten past it, you're options for combat greatly expand with upgrades. I'd honestly recommend trying to use any status effect that can burn out boss turns that you can, since a lot of the boss's advantages can be made null with a good Paralysis, Confusion or Blindness, especially the last one with how easy it is to apply.

I would have been totally screwed against the last boss of Act 2 if I didn't use Blindness.

If I would recommend suggestions for tuning the difficulty, it seems that status effects sort of make up for the amount of damage bosses can do to you by randomly negating their moves, where I imagine a fix would be to simply even out their attack damage while making them, while not immune, at least more resistant to the more easily applied ones, maybe with also applying buffs that can be disabled to still make them dangerous.

I also haven't seen any options for removing enemy debuffs so far, so that seems like a function that would be useful a bit earlier, with some restriction to make it more valuable and exciting to build up to.

Like, Canary mainly marks an enemy, so that one of his attacks does like three times damage and destroys them. While you can selectively provoke to keep him from destroying that party member, maybe a one-turn provoke to balance it out could help in that situation. I could see Armilly having one that uses one of her existing animations, but since I haven't beaten the game, I can only speculate.

This game is Amazing though, Absolutely marvellous in all respects! I'm looking forward to when the Devs are hit with tons of loving Fanart of the 5th party member, since they (haha) are the best in a cast of the best characters.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only on chapter 4 and the game isn't really grabbing me yet but then again card games aren't that appealing to me. The game also seems pretty shallow so far, especially for the price.

I really enjoyed the Dig games and Heist was brilliant, but this one is just ok so far.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Dig and Dig 2 are two of my favorite games of the past couple of years. Heist didn't quite grab me as much as I'd hoped, but this seems right up my alley.

Kind of want to wait for a sale, but these devs 100% deserve my full support.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm in chapter 4 or 5 now; the chapter with the stolen key, I got 90% on, not sure what the hell I missed.

So far, my only gripe is sitting through all the converstations and "cut scenes" when you replay a chapter. Sure you can skip them, but still a little annoying.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm in chapter 4 or 5 now; the chapter with the stolen key, I got 90% on, not sure what the hell I missed.

So far, my only gripe is sitting through all the converstations and "cut scenes" when you replay a chapter. Sure you can skip them, but still a little annoying.

I wish you could see how much percentage you have completed before finishing the level.

Yeah, this is a bit of a gripe of mine as well. I had to go through one stage a few times to find what chest I missed and having to watch or skip the cutscenes each time was a bit annoying.

Also, do you get less exp when repeating stages? It certainly seemed that way and i'm little bummed out if that is the case. I like to be OP when playing RPGs and grinding exp is usually my way to become that way. If the exp is less than usual then I suppose it was done to keep things balanced.

Despite these issues I have been enjoying the game. The combat is nice and deep, with the player able to perform various strategies to win the battle. The writing is also top notch. I've had a few laughs from the game already, one of which was very early on and involved and incident with a Baker.

I wasn't going to pick the game up until a physical release arrived but the game looked too good for me to wait. I enjoyed both Dig 1 & 2 ( despite encountering a bug in Dig 2 that stopped me from getting 100% and never got patched ) but even this early on I can see that Quest is far more up my street and no doubt it will be my favourite of the Steamworld games that I have played.

OP
OP
jariw

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
The dragon/Canary battle ending Act 1 was challenging for me even on normal difficulty. Needed a second attempt with a redesign party/deck for that one. Very fun game!

I liked the curse attack (I think it was Canary who put it on me) where it forced a low card from one of my party members to always appear. Became an interesting problem regarding chains or no chains.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

TL;DW It's good. Inconsistently difficult and narratively unsatisfying, Steamworld Quest is carried by its unique card-based combat system.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
I suffered my first defeat in the game at the hands of the boss at the end of the final chapter of Act 2.

The Headmistress Hyapathia took some bringing down.

The first half of the fight wasn't so bad but the second phase is pretty difficult. It took me a while to figure out how to get around the immunity shield she casts on herself. I tried using Dispel but that done nothing so then I just used a different attack from whatever my first card was. I assume this is how you get around it?

I had to swap my usual team around for this fight as I figured some kind of stat effect spell was going to work best. I went with the poison card and that really helped to bring her HP down and win me the fight. I was one more round from my whole team being wiped out. Phew!

Still loving the game. Once again, the writing is hilarious. The comment about how the caravan shows up everywhere but can't take them where they need to be was hilarious. The game is very self aware and I love it for it.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to chapter 5 and the legend difficulty is awesome. Glad they got that right and the battles are pretty engrossing so far.

Deckbuilding isn't as interesting so far, mainly because to switch deck synergies, you have to commit a ton of resources or grinding and that means I'm more likely than not to not care about experimenting as much when my current decks work fine.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I wish you could see how much percentage you have completed before finishing the level.

Yeah, this is a bit of a gripe of mine as well. I had to go through one stage a few times to find what chest I missed and having to watch or skip the cutscenes each time was a bit annoying.

Also, do you get less exp when repeating stages? It certainly seemed that way and i'm little bummed out if that is the case. I like to be OP when playing RPGs and grinding exp is usually my way to become that way. If the exp is less than usual then I suppose it was done to keep things balanced.

Despite these issues I have been enjoying the game. The combat is nice and deep, with the player able to perform various strategies to win the battle. The writing is also top notch. I've had a few laughs from the game already, one of which was very early on and involved and incident with a Baker.

I wasn't going to pick the game up until a physical release arrived but the game looked too good for me to wait. I enjoyed both Dig 1 & 2 ( despite encountering a bug in Dig 2 that stopped me from getting 100% and never got patched ) but even this early on I can see that Quest is far more up my street and no doubt it will be my favourite of the Steamworld games that I have played.

you get less xp after a certain level treshold, its what I was talking about before where I actually couldnt grind up levels even if I wanted because the only chapter I had access to besides the boss barely gave xp.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
you get less xp after a certain level treshold, its what I was talking about before where I actually couldnt grind up levels even if I wanted because the only chapter I had access to besides the boss barely gave xp.

Yeah, I figured thats what it was when I was replaying a level in Act 2. I was getting very little exp but once I switched to the lower level characters on my team the amount of exp went back up.

It's a shame this restriction has been put in place. As I mentioned earlier I do like to grind in RPGs but I suppose that would takeaway from the card strategies. Thankfully it's not a deal breaker and I can work around it.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Hey, just curious, does "Against The Odds" get that much better with an upgrade? I love the idea of it, a quick one turn dodge buff on all party members, not a skill so you still gain steam, but it doesn't seem very effective compared to Blindness, or even paired up with it, so I'm curious if it would be a good investment.