• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
steamworldquest_logoxzktv.jpg

SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech - ResetEra OT

Platform(s): Nintendo Switch (other platforms will follow later)

Developer: Image & Form
Publisher: Thunderful

Release date: April 25, 2019
Price: $24.99/€24.99
Genre: RPG Adventure

Launch trailer:

Metacritic (Switch version): 81

steamworldquest_2bajjh3.jpg

Questions answered by Image & Form (pasted from the launch video thread):

Did you develop the card mechanics completely digitally or did you make physical decks and test them out that way? And have there been any discussions to make a physical card game?

Thanks for asking! We actually tried playing with "physical cards" - pieces of paper with lots of numbers on them - to try out at an early stage. It became difficult after a while as the number of cards grew, but by that time we could already test everything digitally. We've talked about a physical card game, we'll see how we'd have to do that. My colleagues are all brilliant people so I'm sure they'd design something fiercely clever - but right now we want to catch our breath and think about new (video) games. :) /Brjann

Another question: While the games and universe have evolved over the past decade, is there a philosophy I&G have held on to since the first game that helps you keep the feeling of SteamWorld? Or maybe what makes you keep deciding to make games, in different genres, take place in this universe?

Great questions! One thing we want to make sure of is that the games are consistently good, preferably great. Another thing is that we must be able to somehow place the game on the same timeline as the others. For example, SteamWorld Heist wasn't conceived as a SteamWorld game from the beginning. But it was quite practical that it starred robots since (a) it entailed a lot of shooting: you can't kill robots, just damage them (they can always be put back together again), and (b) we got to expand this strange universe. Now that we have robots in what looks like medieval times in SW Quest, it seems they can be anywhere. But it's all on the same timeline. If you look closely in all the games, there are quite a few references (both graphical and story-wise) among the games. I'm sure we'll also make non-SteamWorld games as well some day.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making the OT. I've only played 10 minutes of it, but I can't wait to get home and play some more.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Woo! An OT! Let's go!

Can't wait to start playing this later tonight.

Edit: The battle system kinda reminds me of Fate/Grand Order.

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Hell of a game! Finished it a few days ago and its definitely my favourite Image & Form game yet. Enjoy folks!

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
So excited to dig into this this weekend. I had no idea it was out this week! Such a wonderful surprise. Image & Form are quickly becoming one of my favorite indies, constantly reinventing themselves with the SteamWorld series.

imageform

Image & Form Games
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Woo! An OT! Let's go!

Can't wait to start playing this later tonight.

Edit: The battle system kinda reminds me of Fate/Grand Order.
Sorry to butt in without you asking for it, but you're on point - our game director Peter Johansson mentions Fate/Grand Order as an inspiration. He also talks about Baten Kaitos and Mega Man Battle Network... although none of the three are exactly #SWQuest. /Brjann, Image & Form

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Heist and Dig yet. Does this have references I'll miss if I start with it 1st? What makes it a Steamworld game?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Sorry to butt in without you asking for it, but you're on point - our game director Peter Johansson mentions Fate/Grand Order as an inspiration. He also talks about Baten Kaitos and Mega Man Battle Network... although none of the three are exactly #SWQuest. /Brjann, Image & Form
Hah, nice! Those are great inspirations. Thank you for the info :D

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Play on hard (Legend as its called), normal is severely undertuned.

This is good advice. Started on Legend after hearing this and it feels perfect. Difficulty can be adjusted on the fly so you will never work yourself into a corner.

You can also grind on manually respawned enemies too.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yay! thanks for the OT. Game deserves one!

I'm in the middle of chapter 4 and absolutely loving it. The characters are all great and the music is outstanding.

I've never really been a card game fan, but this is feeling great. The combat mechanics are fantastic and I'm already having arguments with myself about which cards to keep in my deck and such, and that's really fun to manage.

Do you eventually get to expand to more than 8 per character, or is that locked down?

So good!

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can I ask a stupid question that might come off as insulting but is definitely not my intention? I hate turn-based RPGs and card battlers. They're just not for me and never have been, and I've tried dozens of times. Will I find anything to like here? I bought the game at launch as a gesture of support but I just finished Steam World Dig 2 (yesterday!) so I'm somewhat jonesing for more Image & Form.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Have played up to end of Act 3 and normal seems fine to me. You can always do the arena stuff if you're looking for a challenge.

Theres a difference between looking for a challenge (i play all my games on normal actually) and wanting to use the game's mechanics.

On normal you can literally brute force your way through the game ignoring pretty much any defensive ability, let alone items or proper deck building, and just spam attacks, it was a complaint in many of the reviews and it was quickly apparent when I started the game.

But hey you do you.

OP
OP
jariw

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Heist and Dig yet. Does this have references I'll miss if I start with it 1st? What makes it a Steamworld game?

SteamWorld for I&F is about the same as Mushroom Kingdom is for Nintendo. It's just a backdrop universe where the gameplay takes place. You can play the SteamWorld games in any order.

The SteamWorld universe is a rather humorous game world with steam-driven robots. Since things are steam-driven, Dig 1&2 and Heist used water as a game resource. I've only played through chapter 1 of Quest yet, so I don't know if water/steam will be used in this game as well.

imageform

Image & Form Games
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
SteamWorld for I&F is about the same as Mushroom Kingdom is for Nintendo. It's just a backdrop universe where the gameplay takes place. You can play the SteamWorld games in any order.

The SteamWorld universe is a rather humorous game world with steam-driven robots. Since things are steam-driven, Dig 1&2 and Heist used water as a game resource. I've only played through chapter 1 of Quest yet, so I don't know if water/steam will be used in this game as well.

Water/steam is less important in SteamWorld Quest. We're working on an official presentation of the SteamWorld lore that helps explain why. There are other things that are "off" as well: the Quest robots know magic and such, but the ones from the other games don't. Hmmm...... ;) /Brjann

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I love your games, and I can't wait to pick this up. Congratulations to you and the team.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Water/steam is less important in SteamWorld Quest. We're working on an official presentation of the SteamWorld lore that helps explain why. There are other things that are "off" as well: the Quest robots know magic and such, but the ones from the other games don't. Hmmm...... ;) /Brjann

Love your games. Hope for more amazing things from you and your team in the future

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Loving this game battle system is awesome, its everything that battles for games like Color Splash should have been.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Loving this game battle system is awesome, its everything that battles for games like Color Splash should have been.

Ugh, yes, so much this. Even though I mostly liked Color Splash, it could turn into pure tedium. SW Quest on the other hand feels snappy, intuitive and sufficiently deep. I'm really impressed by the combat system.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Glad to see it's reviewing well. I have only played Heist so far, but absolutely love that game. I was super excited when I learned this was going to be a rpg. The fact they make so many high quality games in different genres is damn impressive.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
oh no, i seemed to have spent all my VG money on labo, pheonix wright and katana zero this month, i completley forgot about this game. WELP

Definite purchase from me, i dont have to even look at reviews, image and forms games are Automatic buys

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So far every SteamWorld game has been great so I expect no different from this.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Bought this today but unfortunately I'm busy for the next few days.

Can't wait to dive in, whenever I can.

OP
OP
jariw

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
So, the first enemy you encounter in the game is a Zelda reference?
Coglin - even looks a bit like a bokoblin

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This is really solid. It's like a new Baten Kaitos, but I think that the card system is even tighter.

Pro tip: you can hold R1 to speed up combat.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Ugh, yes, so much this. Even though I mostly liked Color Splash, it could turn into pure tedium. SW Quest on the other hand feels snappy, intuitive and sufficiently deep. I'm really impressed by the combat system.
Played 2 chapters. Love it.
I like SW dig 1 and 2 a lot but I think I'm really leaning towards Heist and Quest.

Truth.

Seriously, has all the fun customization and card limitation/strategy but none of it bogs down the battle system as all since any customization is handled beforehand and thus the battles are a snap, refreshingly fast actually as essentially the menu system for battles is all visual. A real treat.

Other card battlers could take notes from it. In fact lets go ahead and get Steamworld Mario in the works.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
This is really solid. It's like a new Baten Kaitos, but I think that the card system is even tighter.

Pro tip: you can hold R1 to speed up combat.

or just turn on speed up in the options so you dont have to press the button during battle OR during the overworld :)

couple more tid bits 6 hours in / on ch6

even hard (Legend) feels easy now, at least on anything outside of bosses. Not to beat that horse anymore but, well...yeah. Also you cant grind past chapters a lot, I'm redoing chapter 5 because I missed a chest, and at level 17 my dudes are barely getting xp, which is good!

Speaking of, you cant exit a chapter at will, so if you want to go back because you missed something, you need to do the whole chapter again which is not so good :p

Last edited:

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game kinda came out of nowhere for me! I'm hankering real bad for the Switch launch of Slay the Spire, so this is a welcome game to play while I wait. It also helps that I'm a big SteamWorld fan. Very excited to get into this.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
huh, ch6 boss (ch7? some dont have bosses, its the
first boss returning + the dragon
) seems completely impossible on hard, welp, that's what I get for preaching hard mode on you guys lol, dat karma.

Im level 17 and previous chapters give fuck all xp to grind to a higher lvl (I replayed ch 6 to get a chest I missed and got like 10% of a level if that), Ive tried all sorts of character or deck combinations, I've crafted all the cards and bought all the available weapons too. -the whole "bosses get 2 actions per turn" is pretty bullshit (already was in previous bosses) and the lack of difficulty balance as a whole is dragging the game down a few notches for me (sorry imageform ), which is a shame because I love everything about the game otherwise. Normal seems completely undertuned and you can ignore mechanics and just brute force your way without thinking, and hard makes bosses way too hard (the normal battles seem fine).

Oh well guess ill drop it to normal, cba with this boss any more.

edit: yup, on normal it was stupid easy, barely had to even heal they couldnt even pass my barriers. This is a bummer :(

Last edited:

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too far in to the game but overall
I'm enjoying it a pretty good amount. I'm excited to get further in the game Where I can really play with some decks.