• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Bought again, playing again. As good as ever. Interesting to experience this game after Dig 2.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not getting any rumble from the Pro controller. Anyone else notice this?

I don't get any rumble in portable mode either. Going from Steamworld Dig 2 (and many other current Switch games like Blossom Tales, that I also currently play) where HD rumble is used to enhance the gameplay, Steamworld Heist: UE seems like quite a step back. HD Rumble really is a thing, after all.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get any rumble in portable mode either. Going from Steamworld Dig 2 (and many other current Switch games like Blossom Tales, that I also currently play) where HD rumble is used to enhance the gameplay, Steamworld Heist: UE seems like quite a step back. HD Rumble really is a thing, after all.
I just tweeted the devs to ask about this. I'll report back if I get a response.

Faust

Oct 25, 2017
The DLC seems pretty throw away and the main game is $5 on 3ds. Looks like I'll wait for a sale before picking this up.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have gotten this in any other circumstances, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is too fun to put down.

Will definitely buy it in a month or so though.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty terrible at strategy games like this, but loved SWD2 so I'm jumping into this. Any decent guides / videos online for beginners?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty terrible at strategy games like this, but loved SWD2 so I'm jumping into this. Any decent guides / videos online for beginners?

I actually don't think you need any guide. The game takes you through the mechanics step by step in a very nice way. And you can change the skill level before starting any mission, if you feel it's too easy/hard. A very easy-going game.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
This is a tactics game not a strategy game, first of all. You don't really need any guides (or even could do any guides). Just aim and shoot. And plan ahead (=take into account the enemy's follow-up turn where they attack you back). The rest is just ...don't die.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
Alright even with me being terrible at strategy games this started to click for me like an hour into it. The team at Image & Form just get what makes games fun......

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Game is great.
Easy to play with ability to master and rewarding.

I think I prefer the 3DS version since the 3D is great, feels a bit too expensive on the Switch... but I got it anyways.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I had bought this game about a year ago on a sale for the 3ds and I started it up a month ago just to check it out.... 28 hours of gameplay later, my characters are all maxed out and I have all but one star (I just need to repeat a level I haven't gotten around to). Love this game!

How is the DLC, btw? I think I'll pick it up when I finally get back to civilization.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I had bought this game about a year ago on a sale for the 3ds and I started it up a month ago just to check it out.... 28 hours of gameplay later, my characters are all maxed out and I have all but one star (I just need to repeat a level I haven't gotten around to). Love this game!

How is the DLC, btw? I think I'll pick it up when I finally get back to civilization.
You just get an extra character with new missions that'll appear seamlessly throughout the game. It's not an extra chapter thing. So it's not really anything to really evaluate in that "how is it" way.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
there will totally be a collection when Dig 1 is ported
Dig 1 should be exclusive to the physical collection.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I literally just bought this on PS4 after seeing the good responses in the Q&A thread. Bought Steamworld Dig too. Hoping to start one of them later today they look really good.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this game is kind of frustrating me. Some things just aren't entirely clear.

For example, my mission here was to gather 5/5 swag. I did. Now my objective says "evacuate". Cool, so I eventually get my crew back to the exit and kill every enemy. It's still offering me no way to leave. Do I have to explore every book and cranny to be allowed to leave?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So this game is kind of frustrating me. Some things just aren't entirely clear.

For example, my mission here was to gather 5/5 swag. I did. Now my objective says "evacuate". Cool, so I eventually get my crew back to the exit and kill every enemy. It's still offering me no way to leave. Do I have to explore every book and cranny to be allowed to leave?
is everyone on one of those green glowy tiles by the exit?

post a screenshot if you can

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if that one out the the three is worth it, you can get it with the game for half the price. The other two they brag about including are packs of hats.
Yeah, sure, not arguing the fact that the game is cheaper on other platforms. But they were never going to release the game on Switch for $5 just because it's that price on sale on 3DS.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Heist has some nice, touching moments playing the game a 2nd time after beating Dig 2. Spoilers for both games I suppose:
When you first meet Fen, they call you "Dot" which I assume is a nickname for Dorothy? Then on your ship when you ask about their scarf Fen says it reminds them of someone. I assume both are references to Dorothy from Dig 2. Nice touches if so.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
annnnd I somehow forgot how bad I am at this!

getting my ass handed to me on experienced.

Dropping to normal for a bit. Don't judge me!

AndersK

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
This is soooooo good.

Hadn't even heard of this or the Dig series last week. Now I'm I'm love.

Veteran has suited me good so far. Missions with many alerts and never ending enemies combined with wanting every piece of swag and star is pretty tough sometimes, tho.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
This is soooooo good.

Hadn't even heard of this or the Dig series last week. Now I'm I'm love.

Veteran has suited me good so far. Missions with many alerts and never ending enemies combined with wanting every piece of swag and star is pretty tough sometimes, tho.

Make sure to get Steamworld Dig 2 next, I like it even more than Heist

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So for those of you who first played this on 3DS and are now playing it on Switch, how is the conversion? Is the lack of minimap always being visible on a 2nd screen that big of a deal? And how does the art / music carry over?

I beat the 3DS game but never perfected every level or played the DLC. Glad I didn't - now it's an excuse to replay the game on Switch, but will probably first wait for a sale to $10 or cheaper.

kizmah

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
This game is so much fun! I had never played a Steamworld-game until Dig 2 came out on Switch and that one blew me away. Heist is obviously a different beast but just as fun and engaging in it's own way, and it's such a good fit for Switch where I play all my indies in portable mode. Image & Form, you guys are amazing!

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Finally got this, ended up paying $8 thanks to my Ninty Coins + it being on sale, and what a steal that was. I knew I'd enjoy this given everything Image & Form has put out has been outstanding and I love strategy games, but it's still managing to blow my expectations away. The gameplay, the music, the charming writing, the way it handles progression and character loadouts, the brilliant implementation of a strategic turn-based game on a 2D plane, it's all done so effortlessly, it really is a thing of beauty. These devs are gifted.

I'm also very pleased with the difficulty (I started with "Experienced"). I love how versatile the options are, I might have to crank it up once I inevitably replay this. Another must buy from I&F, even if I'm super LTTP :P

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I didn't want to make a LTTP thread, so instead I'll just reply to the OT. This game is legit awesome. I bought it way back when I picked up my switch but then proceeded not to play it because I realized it wasn't the type of game I thought it was (not usually into strategy).

Well, I booted it up recently and I've been having a blast with it for the past week. It can get a little repetitive (whole lot of clear the level and evacuate missions), but the boss battles and difficulty settings are perfect. The game makes sure you're always on your toes, and customizing your loadouts to best suit the mission. The characters are colorful and the music is wonderful. My only real complaint is that I wish the hats did something. Other than that, I really want a sequel!

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
I was also LTTP. Yeah, it felt very fun and dynamic. I actually prefer having the same goal every level. But I'm glad it wasn't a waste of money for you.