• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
swheistera2l9kt4.jpg
Developed & Published by: Image & Form
Music by: Steam Powered Giraffe
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Dates: December 28, 2017
Also out on (base game + DLC separately): Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, PS4, PSVita, iOS, Steam
Genre: Lucky Luke Simulator x Ricochet x X-axis-XCOM x Firefly with Steambots
Price: US$19.99 / €19.99 / £14.99
eShop download file size: 201.33 MB
eShop Download Site: NA | EU
Touch Controls: Fully supported in handheld mode
Pro Controller Support: Yes
Hats: Yes (TF2 ain't got nothin' on this)
Is Billy still in this game?: Blub!
DLC: All previous DLC is included in the Ultimate Edition: The Outsider (new playable character, new missions, new weapons, gear, and new headwear), two hat-packs
Reviews: Opencritic | Metacritic (Ultimate Edition) | Metacritic (original release)

basicsgcutz.png

SteamWorld Dig and SteamWorld Dig 2 were awesome, right? So, now comes the part where I tell you that this game is absolutely nothing like that. It's still 2D with a steampunky Western blend in terms of visuals and music but now it's a turn-based tactics RPG! Think XCOM as a sidescroller. But actually it's way more Code Name S.T.E.A.M. as a sidescroller since you also have to aim yourself in SteamWorld Heist! That's right, no dice rolls. You can even shoot the hats off of the enemies to add them to your collection (purely cosmetic).

cvjswrrxiaa8ukbgpr0b.png

Another cool and unique thing is that you can (and have to) bounce bullets off of walls for fancy trick shots. Take out that pesky enemy hiding behind cover with a zig-zag bullet around the corner!

zjeeabn3rmi.gif

You're a ragtag group of space pirates (don't tell Samus!) hunting for some sweet loot, taking on missions, recruiting new Steambots and amassing over 100 different weapons that drastically affect your play style. Git dat paper.

Some other facts:
  • Takes about 15-20h to complete (time does not include side missions or NewGame+)
  • Levels are randomly generated
  • There are five difficulty levels to pick from (you can change it before each mission!)
  • Switch version features full (optional) touch controls for handheld mode!
  • Future content updates hinted at

swhlinksxusb9.png

Official Website: http://imageform.se/game/steamworld-heist/
Launch Trailer (3DS footage): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epv2WLrWpXU

Gameplay basics video (based on 3DS version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6QfhCnyJKA

Soundtrack:
Buy the digital album from iTunes and Bandcamp or get the signed CD fromSteamPoweredGiraffe.com(also available as a vinyl record)

swhscreensr0su7.png

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see an OT for this one. I loved it on 3DS but never finished it (i also never bought it, a friend sent me a spare code for it) so I'm definitely picking this up on Switch.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those games I would buy a Switch for... Still, gonna wait for at least one revision of the machine. But gonna get the game for now on Steam for sure. Didn't know it and looks fantastic! (In love with tactical games)

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
This game is fantastic! I will not double dip since I finished it on 3DS but for anyone that likes tactical games this is a must IMO.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Totally forgot that this was coming out so soon. This is gonna be like a mini post-Christmas gift to myself.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Great game..dont think I want to purchase it a third time for $20 though but it's tempting. I own it on 3DS and vita but still never finished it.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
XCOM you say? Just added this one to my wish list.

Edit: just watched some gameplay and damn this looks good.

Last edited:

Deleted member 26535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Regards the length, I finished the 3DS version with this:

zlLX5Tm.jpg

This was before the patch. Now with the game easier and normal difficulty, I think that you can beat with 12 ~ 14 hours.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this game on my 3DS. Beat it three times in a row so I kind of burned myself out on it. Would recommend though. I'll keep an eye out on this supposed upcoming extra content or a sale.

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so great. Me and my friend got completely hooked on it for a few weeks this year.

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
Heard great things about this title. I assume it runs as well as dig 2? As in 1080/60fps? Got some Xmas credit ready to purchase tomorrow once it's available in the UK

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Still playing through this on PC. For those who thought SteamWorld Dig 1 was too short, this will provide you with many hours of strategic fun in that same world. I played this right after Mario + Rabbids, and although I'm not done with it yet, it's one hell of a quality piece of software.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
I really loved this game. One of the few studios still actively supporting the Vita, and I hope they never stop.

Buy this game!

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Heard great things about this title. I assume it runs as well as dig 2? As in 1080/60fps? Got some Xmas credit ready to purchase tomorrow once it's available in the UK
the N3DS version was 60fps already so there is absolutely no world in where you could even entertain the idea of it running any worse :D (esp since this uses the same tech)

anyone actually bought it on Switch and tried touch controls yet?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
the N3DS version was 60fps already so there is absolutely no world in where you could even entertain the idea of it running any worse :D (esp since this uses the same tech)

anyone actually bought it on Switch and tried touch controls yet?

Nice to see that they made an early-day release. Downloading it now!!!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Quick report: in portable mode, the game supports 100% touch (optionally) or 100% sticks+buttons, or almost any combination in between. It's really very flexible.

The game doesn't support video recording.

JusticeBolt

Dec 5, 2017
Canada
Man, can't wait to buy this game later today when it will be available on the eshop. I enjoy Steamworld Dig 2 a lot , but this right here is exactly one of my favorite style of gameplay.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I just beat steamworld dig 2 and (ending spoiler)
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
The timelines are not interconnected... wel not enough to matter as of yet. They can be played wholey standalone.

More here: http://imageform.se/heistuesday-11-your-best-questions-answered/

You're linking to a FAQ that was made in 2014, before Steamworld Dig 2 was released.

It's pretty clear that Steamworld Dig 2 takes place between Steamworld Dig 1 and Steamworld Heist: Ultimate Edition, at least for the following reasons:
1. The whole purpose of Steamworkd Dig 2 is to look for the missing character of Steamworld Dig 1
2. The start cut scene in Steamworld Heist, which is explained in Steamworld Dig 2.
3. The DLC character that was added to Steamworld Heist and is available in the Ultimate Edition, which has very strong connections to Steamworld Dig 2.

That said, the games can be played in any order from a gameplay perspective.

So I just beat steamworld dig 2 and (ending spoiler)
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Yes, that's correct. Just start Steamworld Heist: UE, and it will be immediately apparent to you.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
You're linking to a FAQ that was made in 2014, before Steamworld Dig 2 was released.

It's pretty clear that Steamworld Dig 2 takes place between Steamworld Dig 1 and Steamworld Heist: Ultimate Edition, at least for the following reasons:
1. The whole purpose of Steamworkd Dig 2 is to look for the missing character of Steamworld Dig 1
2. The start cut scene in Steamworld Heist, which is explained in Steamworld Dig 2.
3. The DLC character that was added to Steamworld Heist and is available in the Ultimate Edition, which has very strong connections to Steamworld Dig 2.

Yes, that's correct. Just start Steamworld Heist: UE, and it will be immediately apparent to you.
They even directly hinted at a story-connection in the Engine Room linked in the OP :)

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Thanks! Glad I'm playing them in order. I have been meaning to buy Heist on the 3ds, but glad I waited now.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Playing this now - love it! Completed the base game on my iPhone but not the 'ultimate' edition so looking forward to seeing the new stuff

Great game

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Bought it as soon as the store updated. Brilliant game.

I never did finish it on the Wii U (cause the Switch came out) so I knew I would buy it again because it's great and because everything is better on the Switch.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Image and Form are some of the best guys in the business. If you have a Switch and not Dig 2 + Heist then you're doing something very wrong.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely the best Turn-Based Strategy game on Switch right now. Do yourself a favor and buy it if you like those games.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Image and Form are some of the best guys in the business. If you have a Switch and not Dig 2 + Heist then you're doing something very wrong.

I'd be happy to support these gents, but $15 is a bit too much of a discrepancy for me unfortunately.

This is definitely the best Turn-Based Strategy game on Switch right now. Do yourself a favor and buy it if you like those games.

Better than Kingdom Battle?

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hard to compare this to Mario + Rabbids. I love both games, and historically haven't been much a fan at all of turn based strategy games including XCOM. Both do a great job of slowly ramping up mechanics without getting completely overwhelming.

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you have a Switch and not Dig 2 + Heist then you're doing something very wrong.

Uh? I already have Heist on 3DS and for me, is very wrong to buy again something that I already have.

I am sorry, but I think that posts like these are a bit insensitive. I have a Switch, will not buy the same game again and do not think that this is wrong.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh? I already have Heist on 3DS and for me, is very wrong to buy again something that I already have.

I am sorry, but I think that posts like these are a bit insensitive. I have a Switch, will not buy the same game again and do not think that this is wrong.
You took that post WAY too literally.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not getting any rumble from the Pro controller. Anyone else notice this?

Looks like 1080p/60fps to me. Runs every bit as well as Dig 2. This team does quality work.