• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Via: https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/2471861771402099478

SteamVR 1.13 introduces a new experimental feature for Valve Index users, "Room View 3D".

Room View 3D uses computer vision techniques developed by Valve, Arcturus Industries, and Occipital to present a more accurate representation of your environment.

To enable this functionality, select Room View: "3D" from Settings -> Camera.

4e88263523ac1827e82cf5912e3f1380fa92753d.png

This functionality is rapidly evolving, so we want to hear your thoughts and feedback.
Expect to see more experiments over the coming months.

If you are interested in contributing to virtual reality and computer vision on Steam, Valve and Arcturus are hiring!

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't necessarily understand the point of this. Does this just let you see your room while in VR? What makes that better than having a pass-through function?

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't necessarily understand the point of this. Does this just let you see your room while in VR? What makes that better than having a pass-through function?
It captures your environment via the cameras, like photogrammetry. so you have a virtual representation of your room in VR. this is way better since usually looking trough pass trough has some limitations like lower FOV, a strange offset (imagine if your eyeballs are 10 cm away from your head), additional lag etc.

at least that is what I think it is.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It captures your environment via the cameras, like photogrammetry. so you have a virtual representation of your room in VR. this is way better since usually looking trough pass trough has some limitations like lower FOV, a strange offset etc.

That seems to be the case because pass through ends up offsetting your perception. This looks to do something like a photogrammetry model of the room so at the very least you're still in the proper scale/perspective.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It captures your environment via the cameras, like photogrammetry. so you have a virtual representation of your room in VR. this is way better since usually looking trough pass trough has some limitations like lower FOV, a strange offset (imagine if your eyeballs are 10 cm away from your head), additional lag etc.

Ahh, gotcha. Sounds interesting. Wonder how they'll find ways to use it in the future since right now I just use pass-through to make sure I'm not about to smack into a wall when I can't get away from the guardian barrier, lol.

Salamande

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience, the camera pass-through view is never quite right - the viewpoint and depth are always "off" somehow. Just scanning in the environment probably makes the function feel much better.

That said, the Oculus Quest's pass-through is getting much better. It even detects obstacles in your way now.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Pass-through isn't very good at actually giving you an accurate representation of your surroundings, nor is it very good for depth perception.
Try picking up a bottle of water using pass-through, or looking at where pass-through shows your surroundings and game controllers vs where the VR controllers and objects actually are. This should become quite obvious - it's really bad, and not designed for anything beyond literally pass-through.

What this appears to do is actually use computer vision techniques to understand and represent the room in 3D - mapping it out a bit like photogrammetry, mapping that out to your space.
This is definitely more critical for something like SteamVR where "room-scale" is more of a focus, increasing the value of being able to fully understand your surroundings to appropriate depth and scale

Oct 25, 2017
Currently, right now, prior to this, room view is shown to you as a 2D projection of the camera. You're basically looking at a big "TV" of what your Vive sees. It's.... alright, certainly better than pure blindness, but without stereoscopic vision it's pretty awkward to accurately determine any distances. So you can hold your hand up, and then kind of guess from your hand in the display how far away something is maybe. It gives some directionality but not really location.

This would actually display the world in 3D so you can tell how far away that door is before you jab your hand into it. This would be a HUGE improvement.

Honestly the offset and lag are teeny tiny issues compared to complete lack of depth information.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The only thing I can think about is standing right there in your goddamn room while you're still seeing it empty all around you.

I love it.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I can already do that with no headset.

You've missed the point entirely. This has specific benefits for VR users, who need it because they have a headset on, or indeed for other uses that may occur for mixed reality. Pass-through is pretty crap as it isn't providing a 3D representation of your surroundings. For SteamVR in particular, where users tend to walk around, something like this is going to be extremely useful

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
What this appears to do is actually use computer vision techniques to understand and represent the room in 3D - mapping it out a bit like photogrammetry, mapping that out to your space.

Through those two shitty camera's on the front? That's impressive if so.
Is it real time? I'll need to try it out to grasp it tbh.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
You've missed the point entirely. This has specific benefits for VR users, who need it because they have a headset on, or indeed for other uses that may occur for mixed reality. Pass-through is pretty crap as it isn't providing a 3D representation of your surroundings. For SteamVR in particular, where users tend to walk around, something like this is going to be extremely useful
Yeah I get that, I used this one my first gen Vive even though it only was 2D

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just tried it. Obviously the scanning is artifact-prone. You see a lot of warping. But it's a notable improvement over the stereoscopic overlay. Really cool.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand the point of this? It just lets you walk around in the room you're in in VR?

Or does this use the cameras to automatically set your play area and chaperone guides? That would be cool if it's the latter.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Just gave it a try. Pretty cool though at the moment it's very wonky. Don't expect this to actually fix the perspective problems of the pass through view either. It's basically a wonky 3D version of what that normally looks like. Better than the 2D version but this isn't like the equivalent of a photogrammetry scan of your surroundings that you can walk around in. Curious to see how it improves over time though.

I still don't understand the point of this? It just lets you walk around in the room you're in in VR?

Or does this use the cameras to automatically set your play area and chaperone guides? That would be cool if it's the latter.
The Index (and the Vive) have cameras on the front for a pass through view to see your surroundings without taking the headset off. You can either activate this on command or set it so you see that it activate when you go through your chaperone boundaries. Originally it was just a 2D view, but this update gives you the option to see it in 3D.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I have trouble seeing them myself through pass through, I'm just hoping this improves it for me

Looking forward to trying it tonight

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I have never been able to get SteamVR to recognize a headset camera. Didn't work with my Vive. Doesn't work with my index. I tried USB controllers from 3 different vendors.

The camera works perfectly fine in other apps in Windows.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
I just tried it out. It works as advertised, and everything around me basically appears to be in the right place. That's a good sign. It's not exactly photorealistic, and things sort of shimmer, for lack of a better word, especially when moving. It's weird. But overall, I consider this an upgrade.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
am i missing something? mine is all green and black...

edit: Opaque passthrough fixed it. wow, this isn't bad.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I can just imagine a game that takes your living room and makes zombies come through your doors or windows. Make holes appear in your walls like Silent Hill 4: The Room. You could also rust your whole room in a Silent Hill game, at the same time it happens on the screen, make light flicker too. A bunch of awesome stuff.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm wondering is if they can somehow freeze the data in-place as you turn your head, basically pasting together a reconstruction of the room? I'm sure there's a good reason they aren't doing this already...

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can I use without SteamVR losing its fucking shit on me?
Are you on a Oculus device or something else? Back when I had a CV1 SteamVR would give me issues so I stopped using it and used OpenComposite or the Oculus native versions whenever possible. I don't know if it improved or if its just a lot less issue prone on my Index but I don't have issues with it anymore. I've heard Oculus support has always been buggy because Oculus themselves don't officially support SteamVR but could be wrong.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Are you on a Oculus device or something else? Back when I had a CV1 SteamVR would give me issues so I stopped using it and used OpenComposite or the Oculus native versions whenever possible. I don't know if it improved or if its just a lot less issue prone on my Index but I don't have issues with it anymore. I've heard Oculus support has always been buggy because Oculus themselves don't officially support SteamVR but could be wrong.

Nope, I have the full Index kit. SteamVR sometimes stutters like mad while each eye flashes differently. I can get right into Beat Saber just fine and play for a while, but after 15 minutes of HL Alyx and Pavlov, the games start to lag to hell and back (for frames and overall stuttering).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I have the full Index kit. SteamVR sometimes stutters like mad while each eye flashes differently. I can get right into Beat Saber just fine and play for a while, but after 15 minutes of HL Alyx and Pavlov, the games start to lag to hell and back (for frames and overall stuttering).
That... that sounds like something you should contact Valve around to see what the fuck is going on.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You sure it's not your PC? I used to have terrible VR performance and it turned out that by CPU kept changing it clockspeed constantly because there was an energy saving feature enabled called Speedshift. Took me the longest time to figure out cause only the clockspeed would change and not my CPU usage

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
You sure it's not your PC? I used to have terrible VR performance and it turned out that by CPU kept changing it clockspeed constantly trying because there was an energy saving feature enabled called Speedshift. Took me the longest time to figure out cause only the clockspeed would change and not my CPU usage

Never knew this existed, and my 6700K is around that time too. I'll have to look into it. Someone also mentioned about making the GPU dedicated to PCI-e x16 3.0 instead of making it go auto or something. Not sure if it's the same thing. Sorry, this thread really got hijacked and I'm very sorry about that :(.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Oculus is also working on something like this.

@14:26
Oculus Rift S and Quest already have what Valve is doing- they call it Passthrough+. (But it's only black and white currently).

Photogrammetry is slightly different. You capture a static space from every possible angle, process the hundreds/thousands of pictures, and a standalone virtual 3D model of the scene is constructed.

The passthrough algorithm is more of a crude cheat, but at least you get to see where people, pets, beer cans etc are in realtime, and you of course get a more accurate sense of depth than just a raw camera feed, unless the headset cameras happen to be 64mm apart.