• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Remember last year n year before how yves multiple times at e3 n other conferences pleaded with everyone because gaming should be free and everyone should be able to create in a non draconian way n stuff n play how they want to play, all because of the vivendi takeover

Now like hold my beer

Pretty much this. Of course Ubisoft saying this now that they are either raking in the 100% profits thru one store and 88% profits thru another store. EGS coming to fruition was the out they needed and it worked for them.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Hardly. It's the same principle and companies aren't going to excuse 30% if they think it's too high cos "ah consoles are different"
Especially when Valve have used those funds to advance their service and PC gaming ultimately too

What are they going to say to Sony or MS, we wont release our games on Xbox or Playstation? Where is there leverage?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Surely Uplay's splits must be pretty generous, seeing as you say this. Could you share UPlay's business model - given that it host 3rd-party games as well?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
This line of thinking is exactly what created Uplay, right? This news article feels not only manufactured, but a decade late.

At a certain scale, it's just cheaper to run your own launcher/storefront. Problem for Ubi is that they've never been good at it. They really have no business telling Valve how to operate as they have 1.) profited handsomely from Steam's distributional reach and 2.) Have always had what is universally recognized as the worst launcher.

Jun 14, 2019
User Warned: Antagonizing another member
Oh great let's get some stuff outta the way now

Ubi has always thought this, that's why they made Uplay. They want to maximize as much money they get so they'll always be fighting with Steam this way.

They can't negotiate with consoles like this because it's a walled garden, unlike PC. They likely have deals with console manufacturers to lighten things, but not by much.

Console peeps will likely start getting pressured if/when Steam decides what their move is.

you literally sound like a epic games pr with this post, i can tell you nothing will change if steam/valve change their revenue split apart from them getting fucked over unlike most others who take the same split.

if epic can offer the revenue split they do why hasnt that changed the console business ? please tell me why all of sudden steam offering the same split will suddenly cause change when epic split didnt or others already like itch

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Microsoft and Sony own Xbox and PlayStation which require massive R&D, as well as ongoing support. Steam is just a storefront.
There it is. At the end of the day, Steam, as much as it marketed itself as the "official form of PC gaming", is not really on the level of the console manufacturers. It's just a store. A very historically significant one, yes, but so was Kmart.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Erm... Making tons of money and having the full support of a huge community over concurrent stores is bad business ?

That's a bold statement.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
He's throwing stones in a glass house talking about "unrealistic" business models when they transformed their business model to focus more on live services.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
you literally sound like a epic games pr with this post, i can tell you nothing will change if steam/valve change their revenue split apart from them getting fucked over unlike most others who take the same split.

if epic can offer the revenue split they do why hasnt that changed the console business ? please tell me why all of sudden steam offering the same split will suddenly cause change when epic split didnt or others already like itch

Couldn't agree more. At the end of the day, it sounds like the same bullcrap trickle down economics Epic have been peddling since this stuff started.

Jun 14, 2019
If you are going to call me a shill for something that wasn't even mentioned in that post at all, then we are never speaking again.

Ubi wants more money, that's why they're pushing on this. That's all they care about.

Console peeps will likely start getting pressured if/when Steam decides what their move is.

you literally said that ? meaning if steam change their split consoles will get pressured ? im asking why, when theres already markets who do so like epic games ?

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There it is. At the end of the day, Steam, as much as it marketed itself as the "official form of PC gaming", is not really on the level of the console manufacturers. It's just a store. A very historically significant one, yes, but so was Kmart.

Please show us all Valve's marketing campaigns where it positioned itself as the "official form of PC gaming". Please also explain how they "aren't on the level of the console manufacturers" when Valve also make and sell hardware and somehow also operate a superior online service to console manufacturers without somehow imposing subscription costs on customers.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Publishers are putting pressure on everyone re. revenue splits.

Negotiations on licensing agreements for the new Sony/MS platforms would be in full swing at the moment, I'm guessing and you can be sure it's a big topic of conversation. Sony, in an earnings call, marked it out as a risk factor.

Things like Stadia are probably being used as leverage - indeed I recall reading one analyst on Twitter reporting chatter from E3, wherein people at publishers he spoke to where less interested in Stadia in its own right, but more as a bargaining chip in negotiations with the existing platforms.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic Games Store offers much more to the people who make games;
Except for indie developer(I think Steam should offer better condition to them) I really don't care about the money that goes to shareholders. Fuck this "people who make games" notion.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
you literally said that ? meaning if steam change their split consoles will get pressured ? im asking why, when theres already markets who do so like epic games ?

Because pushing consoles on their cut is the endgame for this

"Hey, we get this amount on PC, why don't we get it here? You should follow what they're doing or we may think about things heehee haha xd"

The big pubs always push on this stuff until the end of time

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How massive are we talking about, have you looked at the profits both companies operate at nowadays thanks to subscriptions and in game purchases. How come we still have this image of console makers as paupers......this line of thinking is archaic and needs to change.

Last edited:

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you are going to call me a shill for something that wasn't even mentioned in that post at all, then we are never speaking again.

Ubi wants more money, that's why they're pushing on this. That's all they care about.

dont-talk-to-me-or-my-dudes-ever-again-1195195.png

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you get considerably more out of the 30% cut from a console manufacturer than from steam. console manufacturers not only give you the digital distribution platform/social services/storefront/etc., but also, you know, the hardware platform. low-level developer and publisher support. dev tools. the amount of outreach and support that nintendo/sony/ms provide to third parties is completely incomparable to steam.

also all this talk about "they're just greedy and want more money" - yeah, no shit. so does valve. so does epic. so does literally every big business, ever. none of these companies are your friends. everyone involved in this is out for themselves, not you. don't forget it.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Except for indie developer(I think Steam should offer better condition to them) I really don't care about the money that goes to shareholders. Fuck this "people who make games" notion.

Also Indie developers that want to launch simultaneously on multiple storefronts to reach more customers. Fuck them also. Exclusive or we don't have the bandwidth for you for a couple years... although we did had the bandwidth for you in our unsolicited email after we watched your trailer just a moment ago.

Jun 14, 2019
Because pushing consoles on their cut is the endgame for this

"Hey, we get this amount on PC, why don't we get it here? You should follow what they're doing or we may think about things heehee haha xd"

The big pubs always push on this stuff until the end of time

the end game for most publishers ea ubi take two acti will most certainly be subscription based stuff like ea access and stuff. thats where stuff like split wont be affected.

the split stuff is just a tired tactic from epic that people seem to be latching onto and using hypothetical situations to defend against it when its a tradtional split in every industry not just video games. even sites like onlyfans and stuff take a revenue split between 20 - 30% it isnt a new concept to dogpile steam with. and people saying if steam lowers there split we will stop this or that is just spouting lies

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Negotiations on licensing agreements for the new Sony/MS platforms would be in full swing at the moment, I'm guessing and you can be sure it's a big topic of conversation. Sony, in an earnings call, marked it out as a risk factor.

Things like Stadia are probably being used as leverage - indeed I recall reading one analyst on Twitter reporting chatter from E3, wherein people at publishers he spoke to where less interested in Stadia in its own right, but more as a bargaining chip in negotiations with the existing platforms.

It going to be interesting when MS and Sony cloud services fully running along with them selling hardware .
If Stadia fail to take off as fast as some of the companies thinking there bargaining chip won't mean much in the short term .

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
it's real and happening so how can it be unrealistic?

"It isn't fair to us! We can't make any money! Pay us more."

The last bit is the only thing Ubi actually cares about, lol

This happens pretty consistently as new gens start ramping up too. Like every 4-5 years this comes up again and again

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Is this basically confirmation that Ubi are done with Steam?

Honestly I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner in light of EA going Origin only so long ago. I guess EGS is a compromise for them in getting higher revenue split and still retaining some storefront visibility

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you get considerably more out of the 30% cut from a console manufacturer than from steam. console manufacturers not only give you the digital distribution platform/social services/storefront/etc., but also, you know, the hardware platform. low-level developer and publisher support. dev tools. the amount of outreach and support that nintendo/sony/ms provide to third parties is completely incomparable to steam.

also all this talk about "they're just greedy and want more money" - yeah, no shit. so does valve. so does epic. so does literally every big business, ever. none of these companies are your friends. everyone involved in this is out for themselves, not you. don't forget it.

This is completely internalised marketing bullshit from people who for some reason need to justify the continued existence of walled-off hardware platforms. Imagine using this same line of defence to maintain the existence of betamax.

Fewer walled-off hardware platforms would be a net gain for everyone except... the operators of walled-off hardware platforms.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ummmm, you might wanna take a more indepth look at what steam has now become and what it currently offers devs, also you might wanna also look into why steam has more game releases than nintendo/sony/ms even though they according to you provide more third party support.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Honestly I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner in light of EA going Origin only so long ago

Nah, probably not. EA went nuclear a decade ago but Ubi still puts smaller titles on there. They'll probably hash this out later, but now we have to deal with this nonsense for a while

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
weird i don't see anyone saying how unprofessional this is

Honestly I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner in light of EA going Origin only so long ago. I guess EGS is a compromise for them in getting higher revenue split and still retaining some storefront visibility
they keep releasing games there so no probably not

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like all of this talk around how Ubisoft treats PC is just an excuse for Ubisoft to effectively* go uPlay exclusive, which was probably their plan all along.

*I say "effectively", because while they still do release smaller games on Steam and their bigger titles are on EGS, uPlay is almost certainly the vast majority of their PC revenue nowadays.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Valve also don't release hardware either, since the Index and Steam controller were apparently just collective hallucinations.

Yeah Valve has put hundreds of millions of R&D dollars into those alone, especially the Index, people shouldn't forget about that.

It's essentially Mexican Standoff mode right now with console makers, PC, and pubs. Pubs want that cut reduced severely and they want to make one of the other two jump, and set a new standard rate they can force on the other.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Kurt Russell; razakin; Nzyme32; Plasma; Hamster Plugin; AHA-Lambda; BronsonLee; Demacabre; GhostTrick

Do you guys have goldfish memories? This was discussed alot before we migrated from NEOgaf for years.

Only Wajna is correct to point out that Stadia uses the same model as Steam who both were inspired by Apple. Consoles charge significantly less. Retailers charge close to 70/30 and take on way more risk doing this.

latimesblogs.latimes.com

Anatomy of a $60 video game

This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links.

Much of the data came via a slide shown Thursday by Steve Perlman, founder of OnLive, an on-demand video game service based in Palo Alto.

Perlman, who spoke during the Design Innovate Communicate Entertain Summit in Las Vegas, showed the slide as part of an update on his company's service, which is expected to launch later this year.

Another way to look at it is to say publishers such as Activision and Electronic Arts receive $45 after retailers take a (25%) $15 cut. Publishers turn around and pay a $7 (11.7%) licensing fee to console manufacturers such as Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. The cost of making, packaging and shipping game discs to stores carves up another $4. Finally, not all games sell, so the expense of returning unsold inventory eats up another $7.

SO that was 2010 but here we have the first major attempt at game streaming disclosing their own research on prices breakdown of a retail game at the time and it is clearly brick and mortars that charged a lot and they usually end up putting many games in the bargain bin.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It going to be interesting when MS and Sony cloud services fully running along with them selling hardware .
If Stadia fail to take off as fast as some of the companies thinking there bargaining chip won't mean much in the short term .

Stadia might turn out to be a dud, and nowhere near the disruptor some have been expecting, but as long as there's a whiff of disruption in the air, or as long as publishers pick up on 'worry' among existing platform holders, from their point of view it's worth leaning on that in negotiations. And Stadia, at least a few months ago, definitely looked like it was stirring things up and had incumbents on their toes. Luckily for publishers, this has coincided with new platform negotiations.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Ubi guy should just be happy that EGS is pushing people directly to UPlay. It's a no lose situation for them.

That's absolutely true. During that big Epic game sale I bought a couple of UbiSoft titles for really cheap and once I activated them I just played them on the Uplay and completely ignored the Epic Game Store. I basically used EGS as a coupon and nothing more.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

Except it's factually not just a store. Nor is it just a launcher and a store. It's a big technology platform, it's a lot to explain.

And show me where valve marketed themselves as the official form of PC gaming lol. Try to tighten it up a bit.