• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I want to pick up Half-Life Alyx now that I have a Quest 2 with the Link cable, but my laptop is an AMD and I have heard that a lot of those are still not compatible.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend an open-world game with crafting/survival elements that's good for solo players and not a competitive multiplayer game?

Valheim is ace as hell.

Subnautica is likely the best in the genre that isn't named Minecraft.

Haven't tried Below Zero yet.

If you wanna get really spicy, Project Zomboid is one of the absolute best survival/crafting sims on the market. Incredibly deep systems in play that simply dwarf genre peers in the possibility space. Hidden gem.

(Don't let the rickety screenshots on the Steam page fool you, they're years old. Game has seen a ton of graphical/animation upgrades since.)

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I put Project Zomboid on my steam wish list in 2015 intending to get it when it came out of Early Access... still waiting.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
  • Journey
  • Flower
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
  • Black Mesa
  • Sam & Max Hit the Road
  • The Lego Batman Trilogy (never played a Lego game and it wasn't on my wishlist, but seemed like a great value for only $5)
In all, I spent just under $30.

I put Project Zomboid on my steam wish list in 2015 intending to get it when it came out of Early Access... still waiting.

This is me with Volleyball Unbound. :(

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
I know the AC Origins team made Valhalla, which I absolutely loved. But I always read Odyssey > Origins. I know this will be blasphemy to a lot of AC fans, but what I loved about Valhalla was just running into villages and wrecking shit, no stealth required. You could even kill higher level enemies with the right strategy as well. So, my question is, does Origins play like this? I'm assuming Odyssey doesn't.

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
I know the AC Origins team made Valhalla, which I absolutely loved. But I always read Odyssey > Origins. I know this will be blasphemy to a lot of AC fans, but what I loved about Valhalla was just running into villages and wrecking shit, no stealth required. You could even kill higher level enemies with the right strategy as well. So, my question is, does Origins play like this? I'm assuming Odyssey doesn't.
you dont have to stealth in odyssey either, you can kinda play how you want, Origins I can't weigh in on as much yet

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Some games are eternal EA affairs.

Has nothing to do with the title not being finished. It's more a reflection of labor of love from gonzo-madmen devs that continue to expand content & scope for years and even sometimes decades.

Dwarf Fortress, Caves of Qud, UnReal World, Star Traders, Minecraft, Project Zomboid and more are fully compete projects that are still seeing new updates years after the fact. All completely free of charge.

I'd consider cases like this a win for the end user.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
I had the idea to buy Bioshock Infinite and saw i already have it on my library, so i bought Echo, Hollow Knight, Slay the Spire and Call of Cthulhu but i refund the last one to buy the first Dead Space.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This may be a laughably stupid question, but...is Cyberpunk worth $40 in it's current state? Or should I wait for more patches further down the line?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'll pick up S.T.A.L.K.E.R....
That was the first thing I thought.. lol. I already have the first game, but the other two are like 70% off, so I went ahead and picked them both up. As usual, I have no idea if I'll ever play them, but that's life among Steam sales, innit?

Also picked up Solasta. Honestly surprised to see it on sale, even if it wasn't a huge discount (20%, I think), the full game hasn't been out that long at all.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
  • The Lego Batman Trilogy (never played a Lego game and it wasn't on my wishlist, but seemed like a great value for only $5)
You might want to start with the second LEGO Batman game. If I recall correctly the first one is a little on the basic side, it's from the earlier generation of Travellers Tales LEGO games.

But the second one I remember being pretty good. Nice bump in graphics, has a lot of great voice actors (I think Mark Hammel for Joker), and a decent open world Gotham.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Not many good deals looking at my wish list, and this is the first sale for my new laptop :( I'll get out of my comfort zone and buy something I wouldn't play usually if I see a good deal.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
I want to pick up Half-Life Alyx now that I have a Quest 2 with the Link cable, but my laptop is an AMD and I have heard that a lot of those are still not compatible.

What you mean by its an AMD? Your cpu? GPU? My cpu is amd and video card is nvidia and have an index and ran alyx no issues.

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sekiro 30$ for someone that loves souls games? I hear it's completely different. Worth the 30 bucks?

sandman42

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon worth it for $30? Played the first few hours on PS4 and enjoyed it. Wondering if I should continue on there or pick it up on Steam for 1440p/60FPS.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017

I'm definitely going to pick this up, I forgot it existed and the recent reviews are extremely positive.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
18MAitE.png

It's like they didn't even try with "anime."

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a gorilla scientist. 🦍

Not much that interests me at a low enough price. May just pick up Transport Fever 2 and F1 2020 and call it a day.

edit: oh shit Metal Wolf Chaos is on sale. Alright getting that too

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Picked up star wars fallen order because apparently there's something uncharted-like about it.

Rockstar games hold their value really well, so maybe in another year or two for RDR2. Meh.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
How's Expeditions: Viking I've had it on my Wishlist for a while and thinking about giving it a go.
I really enjoyed it. It doesn't overstay its welcome. The characters are messy and some of the events are a bit messed up but I found it interesting. The systems are pretty interesting but I think they made it a bit too easy to manage/steer away from fail states with the loyalty stuff. Combat isn't really its strong point but I don't consider it bad like the sponge fest that was Blackguard 1 and 2.
For what its worth, I don't even like vikings theme and I had a lot more fun with it than I expected.
Can anyone recommend an open-world game with crafting/survival elements that's good for solo players and not a competitive multiplayer game?
How about

Last edited:

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I know you didn't ask me, but i finally tried F76 recently and while the setting is great, the game has some kind of input lag due to being online only. Looting things and interacting should be instant but there is a noticeable delay, that while not a big deal on its own, became a big deal because there is so much looting and interacting in the game so you start to feel crappy because it's constant.

So if you can get past that.....it seemed ok enough. I ended up uninstalling it though due to that lag.
That sucks, but the lag you experienced another user may not experience. I think it depends on your location. I've never experienced that kind of lag in my 300+ hours of playing it, and I played it on wifi on my laptop, but maybe I'm just lucky.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Welching on my promise to buy Sekiro if it went cheap because right now I don't have a GPU that can actually run it lol. By the time I can buy a graphics card for a decent price again it'll be cheaper still and I'll just buy it then. Sorry Bobby.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I picked up Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Planetscape Torment and Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions so far.

EDIT: Also grabbed FFXIV complete edition, hoping I can see the story through eventually!

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they originally intended to put up one story a day for the duration of the sale. It's kind of disappointing that the event is basically done in one day. I like the stickers and avatar frame though. Shame you can't buy the ones you didn't get with points.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is looking at the Yakuza bundle, don't bite. Yakuza Kiwami 2 is $4 cheaper on CDKeys, and Kiwami 1 is $1 cheaper on Gameplanet, so you can get the first three games for $22 total instead of $27.

Remastered Collection is cheapest on Steam, Yakuza 6 and 7 are also cheapest on Gameplanet.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Planetscape Torment and Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions so far.

Incredible, incredible games representing everything that was great about the game industry and everything that should have been great about the game industry until multiplayer RPGs came along and killed it.

EDIT: Also grabbed FFXIV complete edition, hoping I can see the story through eventually!

Circle is complete