• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BarnabyJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone vouch for Sekiro? I'm not a suuuuper fan of From Games, but did enjoy the Demon's Souls remake a little for PS5. I just really dig the samurai settings and besides GoT we don't really have many.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
My haul:
unknown.png

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
The gamebook thing has better writing than some games I paid for. It's criminal that Valve has some of the best writers in the industry to have them write fluff for a sale.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Can anyone vouch for Sekiro? I'm not a suuuuper fan of From Games, but did enjoy the Demon's Souls remake a little for PS5. I just really dig the samurai settings and besides GoT we don't really have many.
Sekiro is less of an RPG, and more of an action-adventure with rhythm-based combat and stealth options, due tot he grappling hook.

The only major "souls-like" elements are bosses, enemies respawning and death means you lose half your EXP.
Combat is still difficult, obviously, but since it's less of an RPG, it's a lot less systems-heavy and so it's easier to get into, imo

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Had anyone played Last Epoch?

I'm down for a new Diablo style game, but there isn't much talk about it.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
With all the Metroid talk, Axiom Verge is about $5 here, so I picked it up. Been meaning to try this game.

Nov 1, 2017
Told myself I'd grab some visual novels but nothing's really grabbing me after reading most of Higurashi. Bought Way of the Samurai 4 and Nioh 2 for now.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

It matters what you don't like about From games. For instance if it is the "difficulty" then it may not be the game for you. I don't consider any of the Souls games "hard" but Sekiro is in a way that none of them are. You will have to learn to utilize the mechanics of the game and you can't out level or cheese things like you can in other From games, or at least to the same extent. There is much less choice in style of play but it is a much more focused and tailored experience.

I think the game is amazing, but also can say it's not a game for everyone.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Bought Pyre and Below which I believe is its lowest price; and I'm done, nothing is tempting enough to put in my backlog for the next couple of years, lol

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Which Super Mega Baseball I should buy?

So what I'd recommend, if you haven't already, is giving the SMB 3 demo a shot and seeing if you enjoy the gameplay. You can play as many 3-inning games vs the CPU and as many Pennant Race (PvP) games as you want. If you really enjoy it, I'd jump straight to 3. Some minor and major additions compared to the 2nd game, specifically: Wild pitches, pick-offs, DH, Franchise mode, practice mode, and more teams and stadiums. But if you wanna save a few bucks, SMB 2 probably still holds up great since the overall gameplay is virtually the same.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Sea of Thieves didn't take. Outriders still expensive.
Like someone else said, Fallout 76 is good now? All I know of it is that it was a mess when it launched.

wish there was list of the best games for each category 😂

I know you didn't ask me, but i finally tried F76 recently and while the setting is great, the game has some kind of input lag due to being online only. Looting things and interacting should be instant but there is a noticeable delay, that while not a big deal on its own, became a big deal because there is so much looting and interacting in the game so you start to feel crappy because it's constant.

So if you can get past that.....it seemed ok enough. I ended up uninstalling it though due to that lag.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is one of my favorite games last generation, but I really like Fromsoft's games.

Sekiro specializes the souls combat formula around parrying, similarly to how Bloodborne specializes around dodging. The main differences besides that are that Sekiro is a hell of a lot more fluid because there's no stamina system, there's a lot more mobility and verticality in its level design because you can grapple and jump, and the game's posture system means that attacking your opponent is generally encouraged, even if you know they will block it. It means that Sekiro allows for the most aggressive fighting in a souls game, because you can actually pressure and overwhelm some opponents instead of mostly fishing for openings.

Its story is also the most developed and directly told out of all the souls games, so that's nice too.

Having said all that, the way it's focused means it can be hit or miss for some, and there is a steep learning curve. The game took far longer to click with me than any other souls game, but I loved it once it did. But until it clicked, I felt like a bumbling fool for hours.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Had anyone played Last Epoch?

I'm down for a new Diablo style game, but there isn't much talk about it.

I bought it last year after seeing it recommended multiple times. I tried it a few months ago for the first time, and it is a really fun game, with a lot of content, deep skill trees, fun loot, etc. If you love looters like Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2, you should love this one. It's one of the better I've played.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Do you want to chill? Let me recommend you these gems then:

Dorfromantik is a cool puzzle/strategy town building game. You connect tiles and earn points depending on how good your tiles connect with each other. By completing quests, you unlock new buildings and biomes.

Townscaper procedurally generates a town depending on how you place each building. It doesn't have scores nor objectives, but it's extremely charming and I use it to clear my mind after work. It's not on discount right now, but it's still cheap.

Islanders is also a strategy puzzle game in which you build cities on small islands. It's score based, so it adds more challenge to it. I find this one to be slightly more difficult than Dorfromantik, but still extremely enjoyable.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ended up picking up a few VR games (Or games with VR support) including Universe Simulator, Jet Island, Into the Radius & Tabletop Simulator.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Depends what you liked about Demon's.

If you enjoyed the general gameplay, yes absolutely. It offers much the same.
If you enjoyed the sense of exploration and atmosphere? Then not really, Sekiro doesn't really offer this as much and it doesn't feel like a samurai game. It is still very much a souls game with more pointy roofs.
If you love big and interesting boss battles you can approach in different ways? Then avoid Sekiro because almost all the bosses flat out suck and kill any enjoyment you have with the game.

It is a mixed bag.

Dark Souls 3 is the one you want to probably explore with a katana.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018

Has anyone here played this game? I'm looking for a chill game to play after I finish Yakuza Like a Dragon. This one looks nice but im not a 100% sure if I'll like it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus on this? Specifically for single player/offline

Promising with some caveats.

The biggest ding is AI pathfinding which isn't great. For an RTS this could be considered a game breaker. But it's manageable.

The presentation package is absolutely incredible. Everything from the gorgeous visuals, interesting story and hero characters, concussive weapons audio, even the menu & UI design just screams polish. Def. punching above it's weight for the genre.

Single-player campaign is lengthy.

I'd say go for it at -75%. You just don't see many any RTS titles in modern times with this level of budget & TLC backing it.

EDIT:

This is also assuming you already own Deserts of Kharak.

Last edited:

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend an open-world game with crafting/survival elements that's good for solo players and not a competitive multiplayer game?

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
nothing above 30% off in my top 10 wishlist, and no discount on my most wanted. booooo.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the following:

Mass Effect LE
Sekiro
Streets of Rage 4
A Short Hike

Sekiro wasn't an especially demanding game, was it? I'm still rocking a GTX 970 setup from 2014 that continues to serve me well but I'll hold off until I get a new system if I'll have to turn down too many settings.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I wanted to get Before your Eyes, but I don't have a web cam lol, gotta get around getting one.

You don't 'need' a webcam to play it but, well... you need a webcam. It's an amazingly-told story in its own right but its ability to detect your real-life blinking is what puts the game on another level entirely.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I bought it last year after seeing it recommended multiple times. I tried it a few months ago for the first time, and it is a really fun game, with a lot of content, deep skill trees, fun loot, etc. If you love looters like Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2, you should love this one. It's one of the better I've played.
Oh, I might grab this then, probably the only thing out of this sale. Too many games, not enough time, but I could use a good isometric ARPG looter.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So what I'd recommend, if you haven't already, is giving the SMB 3 demo a shot and seeing if you enjoy the gameplay. You can play as many 3-inning games vs the CPU and as many Pennant Race (PvP) games as you want. If you really enjoy it, I'd jump straight to 3. Some minor and major additions compared to the 2nd game, specifically: Wild pitches, pick-offs, DH, Franchise mode, practice mode, and more teams and stadiums. But if you wanna save a few bucks, SMB 2 probably still holds up great since the overall gameplay is virtually the same.

Thanks, bought 3. It's mostly for singleplayer but maybe I'll try online.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to picking up 5D Chess, now to learn chess, temporal and parallel rules.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

I had it on both console and then later PC.

found it too damn hard on console. Got maybe a third through it?

Got a beefy GPU, played on PC at 60 fps. Got more than halfway through and loved it! Added a mod to get extra yen money to get the merchant upgrades without grinding. That immensely helped enjoyment! Progressed to the end after 80 hours.

FWIW I wasnt a From fan until after DeS Remake. Sekiro got me interested, but before that I found their games too hard (Bloodborne and Dark Souls Remastered specifically).