• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

john titor

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really hidden gems, but oh well.

If you're a sucker for puzzle games, this might be one of the gems you are looking for (if you haven't found it yet).

Intuitive and addictive, Into the Breach offers dozens of hours of fun turn-based strategy gameplay.

An excellent game featuring programming-like puzzles.

An example of great interactive storytelling. Fans of classic horror and sci-fi movies are in for a treat.

Last edited:

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
If you're in the mood for some short and sweet Point & Click game with barely any puzzle, this should be your pick. The story is pretty damn good (got pretty crazy towards the end tho) and managed to be very atmospheric.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
At 10 games for about 12 bucks this is a great bundle to jump-start a Steam puzzle game collection. All older games, mostly well-known, but you don't need to pay for the ones you own. A couple of gorgeous Amanita adventures, The Room, SpaceChem, and more including the underrated block puzzles Sokobond & Tetrobot and Co.

store.steampowered.com

The ⚫️🔲 Bundle on Steam

Another solid bundle of puzzle games, this one's 8 abstract puzzlers for about 12 dollars. Features Hexcells Infinite (the last/best game in that series), English Country Tune (a clever 3D Sokoban from the maker of Stephen's Sausage Roll), Linelight (neat mechanics, very polished & approachable), and more.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

The ⚫️🔲 Bundle on Steam

Another solid bundle of puzzle games, this one's 8 abstract puzzlers for about 12 dollars. Features Hexcells Infinite (the last/best game in that series), English Country Tune (a clever 3D Sokoban from the maker of Stephen's Sausage Roll), Linelight (neat mechanics, very polished & approachable), and more.

Also contains Yankai's Peak, which is low key one of the best puzzle games in that collection, although I do feel that it controls better on mobile than on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
So I tried starting this up and the voice acting was bad and the gameplay seemed pretty easy, not to mention the fact that I have no idea what is going on. I've only played the first .hack game before this and enjoyed it for what it was at the time. Does the game get better once you get past the intro? Do the subsequent games improve anything? People have said a lot of good things about this game but it didn't leave a good first impression.

It is a PS2 game after all. JRPGs in that time tended to be confusing at first and only explained stuff as the game progresses. I started it recently as well and didn't mind the slow start.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

Ah there it is. This is a free platformer where you can do triple jumps in and must utilize it to progress through some sections.

Another Free game that has gotten some positive impressions is himno

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
How are the Risen games, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Friday the 13th, and Star Wars KOTOR II?
Risen is pretty awesome, provided you don't mind the fact that you'll be spending the first hour or two dying horribly to warthogs.
Also, when the option comes up, you'll want to work towards joining the monastery. They teach spells, and spells are really good.

Other than that, all I can say is bring a lot of patience. Risen has a fantastic world that's fun to explore. However, getting accustomed to everything can take awhile.

If you like Risen, be sure to grab its spiritual sequel Elex. Don't bother with Risen 2 or 3.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
If you're looking for a turn based dungeon crawler/puzzle game, I highly recommend looking at the Deadly Rooms of Death series. I'll admit the graphics are a little weird at first, but it's got a fantastic sense of humor and the puzzles are some of the best I've ever played.

DROD 4 is the best place to start, and it even has DROD 1-3 on sale as DLC that can be run in the same engine.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
I'd highly recommend INFRA to anyone looking for a meaty first person puzzle/exploration game, especially to those interested in urban exploration. You play as a structural analyst whose job is to document damaged infrastructure by taking pictures while wandering through a crumbling city that has a vaguely eastern european feel to it. Also not a short game by any means - most playthroughs take at least 30 hours.

Another thing that should be noted is that '0451' is the first keycode in the game, so fans of immersive sims might also be interested in this one. I wouldn't call it a full-blown immersive sim, but the inspiration is clearly there (most visible in the level design and environmental storytelling aspects of the game).

There's also a spin-off game called Open Sewer that actually is much more akin to an immersive sim gameplay-wise, although I haven't really delved too deep into it since it's still in early access.

I'll also take this opportunity to give a shout-out to Eastshade, which is an absolutely gorgeous combat-less Elder Scrolls inspired game.

Lemme just tell you that I love you. INFRA is exactly my kinda jam as I have a weird fetish for abandoned industrial sites and I love exploration (especially the immersive sim kind).

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up Suriving Mars for like $20 with all DLC.... it is AMAZING... beings me back to when I was a kid and got Outpost and had no idea what I was doing. Its the perfect blend of SimCity and Elon Musk

2018-03-16-product-5.jpg

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Lost Technology is a Japanese indie real time strategy title with 12 playable factions and 6 translated story modes. It has shades of early Total War gameplay, decent anime art and nice music.

Fight N Rage is a solid beat 'em up with challenging yet fair gameplay, alternate paths and variable endings. It was primarily made by one person and has received consistent post-release updates.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have any recommendations for a really good, maybe underrated, JRPG on Steam? I'm eyeballing the first Trails in the Sky but would like some more recommendations.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Anybody have any recommendations for a really good, maybe underrated, JRPG on Steam? I'm eyeballing the first Trails in the Sky but would like some more recommendations.
Trails in The Sky is great, but before people come in expecting epic story like Final Fantasy games, I'll just mention that the story structure in Trails game are very episodic, you're playing as 2 adventurer that travel all around the country helping people. so the structure become very apparent from the beginning, you go to new town, meet up a few party member and deal with some self contained story/mission in that town, then the party member leave and you move to the next chapter/town where you'll meet new party member and deal with another self contained story there, repeat a couple times until the finale

large majority of 1st Trails game is about world building and introducing you to large cast of character until everything comes together in the end.

personally, I really like it and will recommend it to everyone interested in it

Zapages

Oct 28, 2017
I would recommend Super Pilot on stream... Its the closest game that I have seen to classic N64 F-zero game... So much potential in it... Plus it has a track maker in it.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Banner Saga trilogy - gorgeous art style, good turnbased combat, choices 'n consequences in a pretty good Norse narrative

I RECOMMAND this trilogy every year. It's one of the best strategy game out there, not too easy but not too difficult too (like not too many rules and stuff to remember) with amazing artstyle and good soundtrack by Austin Wintory (Journey). Also one of the few serie that is better with each game.

If you're in the mood for some short and sweet Point & Click game with barely any puzzle, this should be your pick. The story is pretty damn good (got pretty crazy towards the end tho) and managed to be very atmospheric.

Also note that it's made by only one guy, amazing.

I picked up Suriving Mars for like $20 with all DLC.... it is AMAZING... beings me back to when I was a kid and got Outpost and had no idea what I was doing. Its the perfect blend of SimCity and Elon Musk

2018-03-16-product-5.jpg

I can ONLY recommand Surviving Mars WITH the new expansion out Green Planet. I can't get into the base game but Green Planet is where it really shine. Hopefully there will be a third expansion Blue Planet and will complete the serie just like Mars trilogy did

Soy Bob

Dec 3, 2018
Does anyone have any recommendations for good singleplayer card games, please? Ideally looking for some deck construction (Like Magic) over deck builders (Like Slay The Spire, which I wholeheartedly recommend)

Thronebreaker looks to be my best bet, but I wasn't a huge fan of Gwent when I tried the competitive game.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Does anyone have any recommendations for good singleplayer card games, please? Ideally looking for some deck construction (Like Magic) over deck builders (Like Slay The Spire, which I wholeheartedly recommend)

Thronebreaker looks to be my best bet, but I wasn't a huge fan of Gwent when I tried the competitive game.
Hand of fate 2 may interest you.
Hof1 is ok but ive read that 2 is a good improvement on it.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

I don't play the genre myself, so I don't know the difference between the different types of card games, but this title popped up in my thoughts when I saw your post.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Steamworld Quest.

I think you'll find though that very few single player ones are not builders.

Jul 8, 2018
Lemme just tell you that I love you. INFRA is exactly my kinda jam as I have a weird fetish for abandoned industrial sites and I love exploration (especially the immersive sim kind).
Oooh, well in that case you're in for something truly special! In terms of pure exploration INFRA is undoubtedly one of my top 5 games of all time, along with the likes of Thief and STALKER. I'm glad I was able to introduce this game to someone, since it's actually not that well-known for some reason.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Valdis Story: Abyssal City on Steam

Assume the role of Wyatt in this Action/Exploration Platformer as you explore the ruins of a holy city that was lost many years ago. Battle various types of demons, angels, and a new threat known only as the “Ferals”, using swordsmanship, martial arts, and sorcery.

This is, in my opinion, the best game nobody is playing. It's an 8-15 hour metroidvania ARPG with incredible replayability. 4 unique characters, each with multiple weapons. There are literally dozens of viable builds.

Combat is tight and requires precision. Controls are clean. Enemy designs are good. Exploration is fun and rewarding.

There is also a hardcore mode and a boss rush arena mode.

I. Love. This. Game.

Buy it. Make a thread. Let's discuss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
store.steampowered.com

Valdis Story: Abyssal City on Steam

Assume the role of Wyatt in this Action/Exploration Platformer as you explore the ruins of a holy city that was lost many years ago. Battle various types of demons, angels, and a new threat known only as the “Ferals”, using swordsmanship, martial arts, and sorcery.
I have this on gog and i really should get the motivation to play thru it xp.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017

Strictly on this sale, there's Trials of Fire. I haven't played it yet, but RPS had a pretty good review of it, and the Steam reviews are likewise pretty positive. Not exactly sure if it's a deck builder or not though.

There's also Etherlords II, which is super old, but basically a mix of MTG and Heroes of Might and Magic. I liked it when I played it, but that was admittedly something like 15 years ago, so I have no idea how good it is compared to more modern games.

Despite being primarily multiplayer, Faeria also has a surprisingly large amount of singleplayer content. It also has really great and creative gameplay, which helps set it apart from other games in the genre. Purely in terms of the actual card gameplay, I think it's one of the best out there. Certainly one of the more creative ones at least. It used to be free, but they started charging for it a while back. And it also has a bunch of expansions, but I quit before they really started pumping them out so I don't really know if any of them are needed. Sadly it is still primarily a multiplayer game, and that part of it is kind of dead these days.

For games that aren't on sale:

The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game might be worth keeping an eye on. Right now, I don't really feel like it's good enough to recommend, with its biggest flaw being the lack of content (which will presumably be fixed in the future), as well as a pretty sucky pricing structure (which is why I'd really recommend waiting for a heavy sale. I just don't think there's enough value's in it at full price).

There's also a bunch of free stuff. Card Hunter is great, with a singleplayer that's completely fine without paying. It's super dead, but I guess that shouldn't really matter if you just want to play it solo.

Hex also has a pretty meaty free singleplayer campaign. I didn't really play that much of it simply because it just felt like an inferior version of MTG (and the Microprose MTG game is a far superior singleplayer MTG option), but it is an option if you like MTG's gameplay.

Also just as a note, I'm pretty sure that the Steam version of Thronebreaker does not give you Thronebreaker cards/rewards in the multiplayer version of Gwent (only the GoG version does). Which would be a pretty significant drawback if you ever want to play multiplayer.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017

Strictly on this sale, there's Trials of Fire. I haven't played it yet, but RPS had a pretty good review of it, and the Steam reviews are likewise pretty positive. Not exactly sure if it's a deck builder or not though.

There's also Etherlords II, which is super old, but basically a mix of MTG and Heroes of Might and Magic. I liked it when I played it, but that was admittedly something like 15 years ago, so I have no idea how good it is compared to more modern games.

Despite being primarily multiplayer, Faeria also has a surprisingly large amount of singleplayer content. It also has really great and creative gameplay, which helps set it apart from other games in the genre. Purely in terms of the actual card gameplay, I think it's one of the best out there. Certainly one of the more creative ones at least. It used to be free, but they started charging for it a while back. And it also has a bunch of expansions, but I quit before they really started pumping them out so I don't really know if any of them are needed. Sadly it is still primarily a multiplayer game, and that part of it is kind of dead these days.

The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game might be worth keeping an eye on. Right now, I don't really feel like it's good enough to recommend, with its biggest flaw being the lack of content (which will presumably be fixed in the future), as well as a pretty sucky pricing structure (which is why I'd really recommend waiting for a heavy sale. I just don't think there's enough value's in it at full price).

There's also a bunch of free stuff. Card Hunter is great, with a singleplayer that's completely fine without paying. It's super dead, but I guess that shouldn't really matter if you just want to play it solo.

Hex also has a pretty meaty free singleplayer campaign. I didn't really play that much of it simply because it just felt like an inferior version of MTG (and the Microprose MTG game is a far superior singleplayer MTG option), but it is an option if you like MTG's gameplay.

Also just as a note, I'm pretty sure that the Steam version of Thronebreaker does not give you Thronebreaker cards/rewards in the multiplayer version of Gwent (only the GoG version does). Which would be a pretty significant drawback if you ever want to play multiplayer.
There is also System Crash. I bought it in the sale, but didn't play it yet. I only heard good things about it though. It has a Cyberpunk setting.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017

I'm surprised this hasn't had a shout yet, made by the same guy who made Pony Island, this is a mash up of different genres starring out of work video game characters.
If you don't have Pony Island, (get it, really) you can grab both for 31c extra.

Soy Bob

Dec 3, 2018
Hand of fate 2 may interest you.
Hof1 is ok but ive read that 2 is a good improvement on it.
I don't play the genre myself, so I don't know the difference between the different types of card games, but this title popped up in my thoughts when I saw your post.

Steamworld Quest.

I think you'll find though that very few single player ones are not builders.

Thank you all. I'll have a look through them all later on.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
It's Smash Bros meets Wuxia martial arts, with some very fluid and cool feeling combat. It's very nearly out of Early Access so this isn't a bad time to jump in for cheap.

I've tried majority of the platform fighters, my favourite is by far Roof Rage. This and Rivals are probably the ones I liked most but I lean towards Roof Rage.

The cast is pretty diverse both in appearance and in fighting style, all taken from popular martial artstyles.
all_char_running.gif

gzI1MhU.gif

The developer has a discord channel for the game and you can challenge him to matches. I'm not very good at the game but I really enjoyed my time with it. I haven't actually played since the Muay Thai fighter so there is also the ninja and Sumo I haven't tried. Connecting with Thyra's hammer is super satisfying and I did not expect to enjoy the roof tile mechanics. It was just oddly enjoyable being able to randomly pluck a tile off the roof for a throwable projectile. The retro style is a bit of a hit or miss for me but I really love the stages and backgrounds.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a platformer on Steam that plays 1:1 like 2D Mario? And I mean in everything, from structure to running and stomping on enemies. The closest thing I could find is Bloo Kid 2, but it seems way too slow for what I'm looking for.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried majority of the platform fighters, my favourite is by far Roof Rage. This and Rivals are probably the ones I liked most but I lean towards Roof Rage.

The cast is pretty diverse both in appearance and in fighting style, all taken from popular martial artstyles.
all_char_running.gif

gzI1MhU.gif

The developer has a discord channel for the game and you can challenge him to matches. I'm not very good at the game but I really enjoyed my time with it. I haven't actually played since the Muay Thai fighter so there is also the ninja and Sumo I haven't tried. Connecting with Thyra's hammer is super satisfying and I did not expect to enjoy the roof tile mechanics. It was just oddly enjoyable being able to randomly pluck a tile off the roof for a throwable projectile. The retro style is a bit of a hit or miss for me but I really love the stages and backgrounds.

1) How is Arcade mode/solo offline play?
2) Is online active?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Have you heard of or played Dream Quest?

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Card City Nights?

Oct 27, 2017

This visual novel is crazy charming. I don't like FMV stuff usually, but I took a risk on this game based on all the positive stuff I'd heard, and I was greatly rewarded for doing so. Great cast, solid writing, fun mystery, and a lot of heart. It's pretty meaty as well. Definitely worth the price.

Probably the best game I've played this year. Don't sleep on the best visual novel folks!

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
1) How is Arcade mode/solo offline play?
2) Is online active?

I haven't played it in months, the arcade mode wasn't out at the time. Solo was then just fighting vs AI matches which was ok but online was a bit better. I used the developer's discord which had a bunch of regulars, semi-regulars and drifters/newbies like myself. Spent a day messing around local which was pretty fun too.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Honestly, Quantum Break for under 10 bucks is a steal and worth it if you have a beefy PC.

Also recommend In Death, VR bow shooting game. A lot of fun.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
Unable to link an image right now, but I cannot recommend Cross Code enough! It's amazing themed RPG, with one of the most fun combat systems and a heartfelt story that I've ever played. Nab it now!

Oct 27, 2017

Trails is easily one of the best, if not the best, JRPG series out there. Everyone who played it will confirm as much. But you have to bring a lot of patience, both in the games and outside of it since it takes ages for new entries to come out in the west. But the reward for your patience will be pure, unaltered bliss.