• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Went through "she dreams elsewhere." it's a meaty demo and a damn good one at that. Crazy good music and writing imo. Will def keep an eye out.

Oct 25, 2017
Imma post some https://store.steampowered.com/app/1201270/A_Space_For_The_Unbound/ screenshots to grab some attention to it too 👀
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
You should try Ultrakill.

Downloading the demo now :) Wasn't this in the PC Gaming Show?

Anyways, why are all these games not released yet? Anything that you know of that's out now? I think I really like the fast paced action but also the split second return to the action when you die without any loading. Not too punishing at all.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
My Highlights So Far Vol 3:

Man I love love love the visual style of this game. Everything from the graphics to the UI is polished and slick looking. The writing is fun too. The combat is pretty cool but and being able to pick up and attack with everything littered around the environment is really cool but I do wonder how much depth it actually has. That said, I died a few times and felt the urge to go back and do a few runs and I enjoyed it.

Very interesting action RPG. Pretty hard and took me a bit to get the flow of combat but once I did it was pretty intense and fun even if it gets a little brutal. The world is interesting too with this society that throws anyone too old or unable to work out of the safe areas and abandons them to this supernatural monster infested world. Definitely going to keep my eye out for this one.

This is really cool. Feels like melee John Wick turned in to a deck building card game. As a recent Slay the Spire junkie, I can tell I'm going to be obsessed with this one when it comes out.

Another cool feeling arcadey space shooter. This one feels more basic in presentation but the gameplay is a little more anime inspired and mixes in some Starfox 64 influence in to the control.

Last edited:

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying a bunch of stuff today and writing some thoughts but my biggest suprise so far is Fight Crab

it's basically an homage to R.A.D. on PS2. It's wonky but the demo has a basic weapons shop and leveling

Dec 15, 2017
Any way to find if among all these demos there are any fixed camera survival horror games? I tried using tags but couldn't find anything.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Holy shit, Rhythm Doctor is fantastic! I don't think there are many Rhythm Heaven-likes out there, but this nails the quality and charm while going much further in terms of challenge and sheer audacity. It's a one-button game and every minigame shares the same basic conceit, making it simpler on the surface and more similar to "traditional" rhythm games, but even in the space of the demo things get ludicrous fast.

It starts out doing things to mess with you that Rhythm Heaven would only do in its late stages, if at all, and escalates wildly from there in very entertaining ways. Add to that a clever narrative framing, immediately lovable characters who have their own small narratives played out in song, and the songs themselves which are well produced and range from low key and heartwarming to wild glitch craziness and you've got something awesome. I don't know when the last time was that a game had me laughing at its humor and gleefully surprised by its twists so often in such a short time. This is a day one buy for me. Go play it!

The secret fifth song and thank you for playing were such great touches (in a demo of all things!), and the song is positively adorable, they nailed the heartwarming Rhythm Heaven tone. Awesome reward for completing the insane fourth song. If there's a higher "Hardest" difficulty I shudder to think what it'd be like.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ghostrunner is super dope

Any recommendations on going from shift key to ctrl? I'm new on pc lol, I use my pinky

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Some quickie reviews:

Rhythm Doctor - 8/10. Super creative and difficult rhythm game

Genesis Noir - 6.5/10. No idea what I was doing, but gorgeous visuals.

Haven - 6.5/10. Absolutely gorgeous but the gameplay seems a bit...repetitive and empty? Combat system is eccentric to say the least.

Windjammers 2 - 6.5/10. Difficult but addictive, great art style

A Juggler's Tale - 6/10. Great concept but also really unpolished with some frustrating gameplay elements

Fights in Tight Spaces - 5/10. Neat idea and great visuals but I find card games so boring. Kinda hoped this would be different

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Found another absolute WINNER.
DISC ROOM

It's got that HARDCORE Super Meat Boy "just one more time" vibe going for it. Already an absolute ridiculous blast. Devolver still killing it.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Another game that I just got around to playing was Cristales. It's a turn-based RPG with a unique concept of past-present-future. This concept is present in the story and the gameplay (including combat). The demo also has a mode to just try the combat, so I recommend fans of the genre giving it a go. The artstyle, though not to my particular taste, is unique none the less.

The Wild at Heart is the GOTY of whatever year it release.

FcgjBcm.png

kzNxm8Q.jpg
Wow, that looks neat! Will try today, thanks.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
So having played some demos:

Gloomwood demo was already out before the festival (guess Ultrakill too), but by damn do I dig it a lot. Certainly looks the part of being similar to Thief, and has some really great atmosphere, especially in the sewers. Focuses on stealth, but course there are a few things to have in hand when in a tight spot really. I love Dishonored, and I will likely love this if it turns out well. Also can't wait to see the crimson head-ish enemy that they are teasing will pop up if there are too many bodies in one area.​
ULTRAKILL on the other hand is fast, like really damn fast and wild. Definitely quite a interesting idea of a very fast shooter that has a style like system. Not sure if I will get it, but it has some strong potential.​
INMOST is a interesting 2D horror game that has a nice dark pixelated look and some interesting light puzzle. Looks there be different characters to play as that have their own thing going on about them. Probably will consider for the switch.​
CONSCRIPT is basically if a Resident Evil game that takes place in WWI came out on the GBA, and it is very nicely made going on the demo so far. It even has item boxes and a save system that needs a item to use. Definitely very interested in how this turns out.​
Raji: An Ancient Epic definitely scratches that Prince of Persia itch, with some interesting things going on with the combat system, like using acrobatics to unleash additional kind of attacks. Be interesting to see how it turns out.​
For now I am set on checking out Gloomwood and possibly Conscript. Have my eyes on Grounded and maybe Backbone next, but probably be nice to also try some more games that are also coming to switch.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Ok, Rhythm Doctor is great. I immediately though of the UK Sight Reading Tournament after watching the trailer. If you don't know what I'm talking about, take a look at this.

Turns out they also did a RDSRT (you can already get a preorder version on itch.io that'll come with a Steam key)

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Two I haven't seen mentioned so far that I think deserve a look:

store.steampowered.com

Arrog on Steam

Arrog is an enigmatic puzzle adventure game featuring hand-drawn art and set in a bizarre black-and-white world with color accents.

Utterly gorgeous hand drawn/animated point and click. Reminds me a bit of the quirkiness of Amanita Design's titles but the animation is wonderful. Light puzzling, kind of more interactive animated vignettes than traditional pnc games but still worth a try.

store.steampowered.com

Save 60% on Black Book on Steam

“Black Book” is a dark RPG Adventure, based on Slavic myths, in which you play as a young sorceress. Fight evil forces in card-based battles and explore the world, where humans live alongside mythological creatures.

Lovely minimalist art style about a witch in training, seems very folk tale inspired, store page says Northern Slavic mythology based. Nice balance between whimsical and creepy, with turn based combat.

ezgif-1-d54a5de64223.gif

ezgif-1-d9986f927cf8.gif

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Save 60% on Black Book on Steam

“Black Book” is a dark RPG Adventure, based on Slavic myths, in which you play as a young sorceress. Fight evil forces in card-based battles and explore the world, where humans live alongside mythological creatures.

Lovely minimalist art style about a witch in training, seems very folk tale inspired, store page says Northern Slavic mythology based. Nice balance between whimsical and creepy, with turn based combat.

ezgif-1-d54a5de64223.gif

ezgif-1-d9986f927cf8.gif
Yeah, I've got this downloaded as well to play. Looked interesting for sure.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Let me add one more to the list.

It's a roguelike - but with medieval weapon wielding space ships engaging in physics based combat! Cool "retrofuturistic" looks, a whole lot of upgrades and gadgets and all the usual stuff you need in this type of games.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
On Reddit a couple of devs are saying that it's going very well and they have got a bunch of whistlist, but seems more a case by case thing.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights I've played today

Plays out like an interactive story on rails where you learn a variety of ways to wield the word NO! Found this in this thread and it made me laugh. I like the animation with the simple artstyle and the voice acting is on point.

Minimalist point and click adventure (it's more of a Click and Drag) with some legit jazz credibility and oozing with style. The demo makes it seem like a point and click puzzle game, mixed with occaisional player-controlled play alongs as well as freestyle jams with a sweet bassline behind all of it. I'm super interested where this goes, it is surreal pentatonic madness.

I didn't get super deep into Voidtrain. It seems under the hood to be another first person minecraftathon like Ark or Rust which is why I didn't spend hours delving into the crafting system, but I might later on. I love the way it looks and the idea of being tethered to a crafting platform on rails though a bunch of unique voids with the look they already have going seems neat.... potentially. I feel like I've been let down by a dozen 'voidtrains' before this

Oh hells yeah! A typing game that is also a kingdom simulator? where you type everything? Want to select the barracks to build more troops? You gotta type the word to select the barracks and then you type the word to start buliding another unit. Did you want to cancel that unit? well you gotta type a word to cancel it. Some of the UI is messy but I love the cutscene art.

I am fully onboard with this one I think.

The worst thing I played was the Mythbusters game. Just garbage.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit, Rhythm Doctor is fantastic! I don't think there are many Rhythm Heaven-likes out there, but this nails the quality and charm while going much further in terms of challenge and sheer audacity. It's a one-button game and every minigame shares the same basic conceit, making it simpler on the surface and more similar to "traditional" rhythm games, but even in the space of the demo things get ludicrous fast.

It starts out doing things to mess with you that Rhythm Heaven would only do in its late stages, if at all, and escalates wildly from there in very entertaining ways. Add to that a clever narrative framing, immediately lovable characters who have their own small narratives played out in song, and the songs themselves which are well produced and range from low key and heartwarming to wild glitch craziness and you've got something awesome. I don't know when the last time was that a game had me laughing at its humor and gleefully surprised by its twists so often in such a short time. This is a day one buy for me. Go play it!

The secret fifth song and thank you for playing were such great touches (in a demo of all things!), and the song is positively adorable, they nailed the heartwarming Rhythm Heaven tone. Awesome reward for completing the insane fourth song. If there's a higher "Hardest" difficulty I shudder to think what it'd be like.

I was already intrigued, but your post pushed me to try it.
It's pretty cool, but it's weird cause it feels both too plain when compared to Rhythm Heaven, and also too hard (as in, the audio cues aren't as recognizable) in levels where multiple rhythm patterns are overlapped.

I was also having issues with calibration, I fell like they should relax the precision a tiny bit cause I tried changing the input delay 6 or 7 times and I was always a bit early or a bit late... and I got 100% perfect on all Rhythm Heavens (excluding Gold) so it can't just be me failing all notes all the time :/

But it looks pretty cool overall :D

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Played the GTTOD (Get to the Orange Door) demo. I wanted to like it, but I can't. Movement just feels off in general. Running, dashing, sliding, it all just feels.. sticky lol. I don't quite have the words to describe it but it doesn't feel smooth. And wallrunning is a crapshoot. Sometimes it registers and sometimes it doesn't. The influence from Titanfall in the movement system is pretty obvious, and it just makes me appreciate much more how much the guys at Respawn nailed movement in the Titanfall games. It seems movement is much better in the current EA build though, so I may just get the game and try it. It's not an expensive game after all.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, they put up a Ghostrunner demo? Sweeeeeeet

Btw, Grounded is pretty fun, even though I felt like I fumbled my way through the demo. Looking forward to the EA release.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
My late night demo haul: When the Past Was Around, Vigil, Recompile,Neon Abyss, Fallen Angel, Destroy All Humans,Gestalt,The Uncertain,Haven,Inmost,There's No Light, Eastern Exorcist,Raji,Pumpkin Jack.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I got reminded of Pumpkin Jack, and the demo had some differences compare to the one I played before (including having the escaping the barn part).

I think the game is possibly going to be a mighty fine spoopy platformer, and it be coming on the switch too, so that's nice. Some really messed up sound in the demo through.

Also tried Grounded, and eh, don't think it I would get into it much, but it does look like a nice survival game.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
I was already intrigued, but your post pushed me to try it.
It's pretty cool, but it's weird cause it feels both too plain when compared to Rhythm Heaven, and also too hard (as in, the audio cues aren't as recognizable) in levels where multiple rhythm patterns are overlapped.

I was also having issues with calibration, I fell like they should relax the precision a tiny bit cause I tried changing the input delay 6 or 7 times and I was always a bit early or a bit late... and I got 100% perfect on all Rhythm Heavens (excluding Gold) so it can't just be me failing all notes all the time :/

But it looks pretty cool overall :D

I wonder what you mean by "plain," is it that every stage has the same basic concept, as opposed to Rhythm Heaven's diversity? If so that's fair, the stages in the demo kept me engaged at least, and I think if they remain that creative in the full game I'll be satisfied. The stage "One Shift More" has the most overlapping rhythms, but there are sound cues for them. Is that what you were talking about? The issue I had in that stage was the sudden introduction of new rhythms with no warning or tutorial, that did strike me as bad design unfortunately.

I played with a wireless keyboard and was ok, the actual stages seem lenient in their timing compared to what the calibration displays. Got a D rank in the calibration but was able to play just fine.

Ok, Rhythm Doctor is great. I immediately though of the UK Sight Reading Tournament after watching the trailer. If you don't know what I'm talking about, take a look at this.

Turns out they also did a RDSRT (you can already get a preorder version on itch.io that'll come with a Steam key)

Good god that Stepmania/In The Groove stuff is absolutely insane. The level of ability and dedication necessary to produce those tracks, and to read them even a little in real time... those people are complete savants. Mindblowing.

Looks like preordering is no longer available. Huh. No clue how sightreading is possible in this game, I guess those X's on the line have something to do with it? Seems wild, but I hope that the main game stages stay away from that kind of thing, one of Rhythm Heaven's core virtues is how fair it is, how it always teaches the player before testing them and almost always provides strong cues. One stage in the demo already had new rhythms introduced with zero priming and that was an issue, hopefully it isn't a persistent one.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder what you mean by "plain," is it that every stage has the same basic concept, as opposed to Rhythm Heaven's diversity? If so that's fair, the stages in the demo kept me engaged at least, and I think if they remain that creative in the full game I'll be satisfied. The stage "One Shift More" has the most overlapping rhythms, but there are sound cues for them. Is that what you were talking about? The issue I had in that stage was the sudden introduction of new rhythms with no warning or tutorial, that did strike me as bad design unfortunately.

I played with a wireless keyboard and was ok, the actual stages seem lenient in their timing compared to what the calibration displays. Got a D rank in the calibration but was able to play just fine.

Good god that Stepmania/In The Groove stuff is absolutely insane. The level of ability and dedication necessary to produce those tracks, and to read them even a little in real time... those people are complete savants. Mindblowing.

Looks like preordering is no longer available. Huh. No clue how sightreading is possible in this game, I guess those X's on the line have something to do with it? Seems wild, but I hope that the main game stages stay away from that kind of thing, one of Rhythm Heaven's core virtues is how fair it is, how it always teaches the player before testing them and almost always provides strong cues. One stage in the demo already had new rhythms introduced with zero priming and that was an issue, hopefully it isn't a persistent one.
Preorder should be available at https://fizzd.itch.io/rhythm-doctor-preorder

Code is samurai

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
As I wrote in PC thread it is really nice to see people playing and enjoying demos. I really think that this is really big win for everyone involved from developers to Valve to consumers.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Seem to be stuck in Wild at Heart. Anyone know how to progress in the camp? I can't get any more tin cans.

dxRUeOo.jpg

Edit: It was a bug. Restarted and the game progressed fine.

Last edited:

CHC

Oct 27, 2017

Ghostrunner Demo is now available/actually downloadable for me.

I had a good time with this one. It feels a little undercooked, it could stand to have a couple more core mechanics (like a shield or a parry), but it got my pulse pounding and it's got a good structure. The instant restart style was great, it paired well with the extreme difficulty.

Oct 25, 2017
Echoing the praise for Vigil: The Longest Night:

Stamina based combat a la Souls (and some other inspirations, including corrupt religions and conspiracies fucking up with the general populace), but doing its own thing in other ways - actual NPCs, town and sidequests, very concise skill trees for the 4 weapon types (get the heavy attack on the dagger and it murders every thing on 2 hits!). Stuff like parries and counters is completely weapon type dependent, so each combat style is unique on its own way (daggers have no blocks or parries, axes have no blocks either). Even unarmed seems like an option, considering one of the armor augments you can forge.

Had a couple of weird bugs (NPCs turning invisible and being able to access the Smithy for anywhere lol) but no biggie.

Very, very good first impression.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
My Highlights So Far Vol. 4:

Vol. 1
Vol. 2
Vol. 3

This is pretty cool. A little bit isometric action shooter. A decent amount of base building. Very good lush graphics with lots of enemies, flora and fauna, and physicas objects everywhere. Most of it even plays surprisingly well with a controller.

I'm really liking this. The tactical combat is really fun and I can see how it can allow for synergy combos. In between your battles in dungeons there's also a time mechanic which forces you to make strategic decisions about how to progress. Like do you move the boulders in your way and take up 4 ticks of time, or do you move it with magic which is riskier but only takes up 2 (these are based on stat checks of your characters)? Has a lot of text and story decisions to make as you progress as well. Very cool.

This one is interesting. Part adventure game with dialogue and copious amount of decision making. Part psuedo-CCG combat except in the form of spell pages in your witch book. Very narrative heavy with you given the opportunity to earn more experience if you pay attention to the lore they give you. The 3D models aren't very good, but at the same time the art direction and color of the visuals are really well done considering it's starkness. It's weird. I don't know if I've ever really played a game like this and I find it hard to classify. Definitely give it a try.

Another top down shooter focused on melee! Starting to like this sub genre lol. In addition to that it has some light RPG mechanics, a lot of text narrative and decision making, all on top of an FTL style campaign with a rogue-lite progression structure. Combat is a little hard to get the hang of since it's physics based but pretty fun and unique. Very curious to see what the other ships play like too.