• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Apparently there was some snafu on communication and the devs are making their demos live manually. Should work out within a few hours.

Try normal steam search and filter for demos? Might be some regional setting problems on the devs side as well :/

There is a separate entry for the demo, but it just directs me to the normal steam page. Seems it's not there in Germany yet.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why we can't go back to old times with demos available for all games?
I know during this game festival is more about games to be released and not finished yet, but I'm complaining more about the market/industry in general for not doing demos anymore.
I think if this goes well and devs see much more wishlistings, things might slowly change. Hopefully Valve will also keep doing this as an event, I love it.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Gonna recommend Cris Tales. Just played through the demo and it is a fantastic JRPG from a Colombian studio. Character design and location design are based on elements often seen in Colombian culture. We don't often see JRPGs based on Latin American culture so this makes it really unique.

ss_a54ff81863da1249265b7650b5ff7e1622c2f0db.jpg

3663425-st%20clarity%2003.gif

While traveling the screen is divided in the past (left) the present (center) and the future (right), and the main character gains the ability to see time and manipulate it, which is how battles play out too.

ss_35788aa34bd7995c99712cce6c36dcec16bbe477.jpg

store.steampowered.com

Cris Tales on Steam

Cris Tales is a gorgeous, indie love letter to classic JRPGs with a new perspective. Peer into the past, act in the present, and watch as your choices dynamically change the future -- all on one screen as you play!

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Shady Knight is such a cool First Person Slasher, if you're into Dark Messiah or Ghostrunner, highly recommend playing the demo.

store.steampowered.com

Shady Knight on Steam

Experience interactive fast-paced sword fights mixed with acrobatic archery and fluid platforming from a first-person perspective. Take on the challenge to become the most frighteningly stylish and masterful knight of the age.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
How did you get the demo for that one? Can't get it to show up.
go into their discord and ask for a key from voidreaver. There was an issue with steam and for some reason the demo didnt show up like it was supposed to

edit: seems like you can get to the demo by going to the summer festival page and finding the game there. The demo for some reason doesnt show up on their steam page

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
A few screenshots from Grounded (Xbox Game Studios / Obsidian) I made :) Fun game so far!

store.steampowered.com

Grounded on Steam

The world is a vast, beautiful and dangerous place – especially when you have been shrunk to the size of an ant. Can you thrive alongside the hordes of giant insects, fighting to survive the perils of the backyard?

Eapyzv2WkAEha0O

Eapy0sHWAAAHhm7

Eapy1U5WkAE2_fk
I love this concept.

Been looking forward to this game, will for sure download the demo.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
go into their discord and ask for a key from voidreaver. There was an issue with steam and for some reason the demo didnt show up like it was supposed to

edit: seems like you can get to the demo by going to the summer festival page and finding the game there. The demo for some reason doesnt show up on their steam page
Yeah, I just noticed this. Thanks.

Ghostrunner still doesn't have a demo available. 😐
Aww, Ghostrunner was one of the games I was looking forward the most to try out. ☹
awww.... I wanted to try this.
Try it from the Install demo button on the Festival page like mentioned above. I was just able to download it from there. Not sure if it's because I had already downloaded it prior though.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
If any of the following games seem interesting to you, I recommend checking their demos 'cause they RULE:
- Windjammers 2
- Fae Tactics
- Gestalt: Cinder & Steam
- A Space for the Unbound
- Paradise Killer
- 30XX is cool but in a rougher state than you might expect

100% try Gestalt
Thanks! I'll check it out!

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Gonna recommend Cris Tales. Just played through the demo and it is a fantastic JRPG from a Colombian studio. Character design and location design are based on elements often seen in Colombian culture. We don't often see JRPGs based on Latin American culture so this makes it really unique.

ss_a54ff81863da1249265b7650b5ff7e1622c2f0db.jpg

3663425-st%20clarity%2003.gif

While traveling the screen is divided in the past (left) the present (center) and the future (right), and the main character gains the ability to see time and manipulate it, which is how battles play out too.

ss_35788aa34bd7995c99712cce6c36dcec16bbe477.jpg

store.steampowered.com

Cris Tales on Steam

Cris Tales is a gorgeous, indie love letter to classic JRPGs with a new perspective. Peer into the past, act in the present, and watch as your choices dynamically change the future -- all on one screen as you play!
I second all of this. It starts off a tad slow, but definitely seems like it is going to be a fun game. Played it during a previous indie festival on Steam.

I really enjoyed Hazel Sky from a previous Indie showcase on Steam. A pretty cool adventure game where you play as an engineer having to face trials or be banished. Neat setup and seems like it could go some cool places.

Deaf of West. If you liked Dead Cells, it has a similar setup when it comes to upgrades, weapons and health flasks. Game has a pretty unique art style and it features Ron Perlman. Solid game thus far.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Tried Industria because in trailers it had some Half-Life vibes but man the demo is rough.. interesting, but rough

Going to try out The Hand of Merlin, which looks interesting

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Why we can't go back to old times with demos available for all games?
I know during this game festival is more about games to be released and not finished yet, but I'm complaining more about the market/industry in general for not doing demos anymore.
It's not as profitable unless your game is top tier. Demos can unsell just as many people as they upsell. MS walked back the mandatory demos for that reason.

On the plus side, you get much less negative feedback from the people that do make the purchase after playing the demo.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not as profitable unless your game is top tier. Demos can unsell just as many people as they upsell. MS walked back the mandatory demos for that reason.

On the plus side, you get much less negative feedback from the people that do make the purchase after playing the demo.
On the other hand a lot of indie games are making demos or vertical slices for conventions anyway and encouraging them to put a little more effort in and release them to the public is a really good move.

Oct 25, 2017

Very intriguing visual novel/adventure about activist hackers, with the demo ending on you helping deescalate a conflict between a private military organization and college protesters by having a partner impersonate their commander while you hack the aggressor info.

The presentation is very fresh.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
On the other hand a lot of indie games are making demos or vertical slices for conventions anyway and encouraging them to put a little more effort in and release them to the public is a really good move.
Yeah, if your game is actually good then more people playing it is only a good thing. Some devs saw their wishlist counts go through the roof during the spring Steam festival. I am now buying Eldest Souls day one solely because of the spring demo.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Any souls like or metroidvania recommendations?
Recompile demo for the Spring Festival was short, but very fun;

Waking is out later this week, and it's a souls-like, so maybe give that a shot once it's working? (Have not tried that one yet, though)

Hellpoint is a souls-like with a playable demo epilogue (Thespian Feast). It's got a very unique looking aesthetic, and I found the demo pretty fun, but I'm not a Souls veteran.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming the amount of traffic they're getting is making it impossible to connect right now.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oct 25, 2017

Unfortunately taking Inmost, one of my most anticipated games, out of the wishlist. Nothing wrong with it, and it's a good thing the demo set my expectations straight. Thought it was a sidescroller, but it's more of a follow the master/puzzle sort of game, akin to Limbo.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Recompile demo for the Spring Festival was short, but very fun;

Waking is out later this week, and it's a souls-like, so maybe give that a shot once it's working? (Have not tried that one yet, though)

Hellpoint is a souls-like with a playable demo epilogue (Thespian Feast). It's got a very unique looking aesthetic, and I found the demo pretty fun, but I'm not a Souls veteran.
Thanks I'll check em out!

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Hundred Days - Winemaking Simulator on Steam

Winemaking could be your best adventure. Make the best wine interacting with soil and nature and take your winery to the top. Your beautiful journey into the winemaking tradition starts now.

Why is my first thought is "looks interesting!" What's wrong with me? Lol

Soldat 2 also has a demo!

store.steampowered.com

Soldat 2 on Steam

Soldat 2 is a 2D deathmatch shooter with real guns, ragdoll violence and physics-based movement. Based on classic Soldat with team game modes, ranked multiplayer, bots, community driven-development and built-in customization and level editing. Made by MM - creator of the original.

And Naheulbeuk!

store.steampowered.com

The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos on Steam

Step into the wacky heroic fantasy universe of the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk. Lead a team of unlikely and clumsy heroes in an epic and challenging tactical RPG. Live an adventure filled with humor, surprises and silly encounters.

DUUUUDE you don't know how much you send me into a nostalgia trip!!

Soldat 1 was one of my favorite game ever back when i was a teen, so great moment!!

also Naheulbeuk, i could probably tell you each sentences from the first 4 episodes of Naheulbeuk since i listened to them so much
Also the game look suprisingly great, im downloading the demo tonight

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Played some of them, quick impressions

Gestalt: Steam and Cinder (8/10): This was a very short demo that should take you about 15 minutes to finish. It gives you a small area with enemies and then a boss fight. Combat is an in-between a 2D Souls game and a hack n slash in my opinion. You have a quick and a strong sword attack, and can also attack with your gun by holding RT (reloading is manual, which is interesting). You also have a dodge button that works well. Funny that enemies have both a health bar and a stun bar that you can break, like Sekiro. Even if the demo was short, combat was good and responsive. Apparently, you can level up your character like in a RPG and will be able to get more itens just like a Metroidvania. Demo left a good taste in my mouth and I want to see more.

Everspace 2 (6/10): Not a big fan of it. Seemed like the demo didn't have a lot of soul into it. I mean, you spawn in a random world just like the first Everspace, then fight some pirates, loot and also harvest/mine asteroids. I'm honestly not a fan of this aspect and hope for good single player missions and side quests with content. Hate crafting in those space games, which are more and more becoming a "choose your own adventure". The devs said Everspace 2 isn't a roguelike anymore, so there is still a chance that they will bring a good story. Just like the first game, however, once you finished a zone you could warp to another zone and do the same thing a.k.a. shoot turrets, pirates and mine. Gunplay feels fine but I want to see better animations and ships reacting more to your shots.

Iron harvest (6/10): Weird tactic with this demo, they literally give you a skirmish mission with no tutorial and… good luck! Good thing (or bad?) is that this is basically a Company of Heroes clone, almost a reskin of the first game, in fact. I am… not a fan of it. First, because I want to see some advancements in the RTS field, and second is because I'm not a big fan of all the "control points A, B and C to get fuel, money, victory points!" thingy. I also think that engagements take way too long, it's as if most units are super tanky.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister (5/10): This game had a demo about a year or two ago and I played for a few minutes, so now I spent about 45 minutes trying it out. It's… not very good, unfortunately. The first thing easy to spot is that character models are still atrocious, like… really, really bad. I almost wish they went with an anime style or something instead of this. My other major problem is combat. Combat isn't bad per see, but this game seems to have the same problem as Pathfinder Kingmaker, and that is staying way too close to core rulebooks from tabletop games. What this means is that the combat, a lot of times, is all about characters and enemies missing all… the… time… which makes combat very slow and not that fun, even against just normal enemies. I also didn't enjoy the camera in one of the very first dungeons – a multi layered cave which makes it hard to see your own champions.

Total Arcade Racing (5/10): Im a sucker for top down arcade racing games so I downloaded it. The problem is that the demo is very barebones. You have two stages for time trial and a survivor stage with cars trying to kill you in an open course the same size of your screen. The handling isn't bad, my main problem is that I don't think there will be much to it. Menus are simple, tracks are simple… everything is very, very simple. I wish they at least had a stage with cars racing against you.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

If you're into turn based tactical games you might like this.

The deterministic combat is fast paced + engaging, the art is charming and the music is fantastic. One of the bigger surprises I've had today going through a bunch of these demos.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Holy crap 900 demos?

Kinda wish this was on for longer because between sifting through the demos and TLOU out Friday, that doesn't leave a lot of time to play lol

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Played some of them, quick impressions

Solasta: Crown of the Magister (5/10): This game had a demo about a year or two ago and I played for a few minutes, so now I spent about 45 minutes trying it out. It's… not very good, unfortunately. The first thing easy to spot is that character models are still atrocious, like… really, really bad. I almost wish they went with an anime style or something instead of this. My other major problem is combat. Combat isn't bad per see, but this game seems to have the same problem as Pathfinder Kingmaker, and that is staying way too close to core rulebooks from tabletop games. What this means is that the combat, a lot of times, is all about characters and enemies missing all… the… time… which makes combat very slow and not that fun, even against just normal enemies. I also didn't enjoy the camera in one of the very first dungeons – a multi layered cave which makes it hard to see your own champions.

Daaaamn, I was really looking forward to this one.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Daaaamn, I was really looking forward to this one.

I imagine that this game will have some BIG fans though. First of all, it follows closely the RPG ruleset, just like Pathfinder Kingmaker. Two, it seems that its very focused on dungeons and tactical combat, which some people really like. It probably isn't for me, but some people love it on the Steam forums.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Genesis Noir demo was cool as heck. Abstract point and click adventure and jazzy music game. Visually and aurally stunning. It just shot up my most anticipated list.

I've already played it a coupe of times when the demo has previously been available, but everyone needs to play Spiritfarer ASAP. It's gonna be special.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine that this game will have some BIG fans though. First of all, it follows closely the RPG ruleset, just like Pathfinder Kingmaker. Two, it seems that its very focused on dungeons and tactical combat, which some people really like. It probably isn't for me, but some people love it on the Steam forums.

Yeah it straight up uses D&D5E rules (officially licensed) which is what kinda drew me to it...

AznMan37

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah it straight up uses D&D5E rules (officially licensed) which is what kinda drew me to it...
I feel like it implements 5e rules pretty well, so if you like that I think you would like this. I do agree that the dungeon with multiple levels was annoying with the camera. I had to fight with it multiple times.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I was surprised that it's as hard to sift through as the winter one was (and still wasn't showing up in-client earlier)

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019

If you loved Command and Conquer Renegades, be sure to try out this demo. It's a bit rough and perfomance is terrible, but the potential is there, crazy fun. It's made by some former CnC devs. 7/10

Iron harvest is decent, could be way better but definitely one of the better rts games released of late. Plays pretty much like Company of Heroes with mechs, and super tanky infantry......Will probably pick it up for cheaper on GOG, 7/10

Drone swarm was a bit of a let down. The technology of all the individual swarm is mesmerizing, but I was expecting a more traditional space rts instead of what feels like a rougelike akin to FTL. 6/10

Last edited: