• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
Let's be honest, Steam nowadays has some serious problems, and it's not even about "(un)fair revenue share cut", but total lack of storefront products quality control and moderation. Since the launch of Steam Direct (a.k.a "pay us fee and we'll publish your game" program) the store got littered with lots of asset flip "Hentai/Waifu [something]" games, outright tasteless "funny/meme" games, games with blatantly homophobic or racist content, "sex games" featuring underage characters, and other kind of low-key indie games. And with all this trash there's something that can be found really rarely, but what leaves me totally speechless in shock, and I'm talking about games that blatantly infringe copyright protected works.

So, as usual, I was checking all closest upcoming releases in search for some underlooked goodies, but instead, I found this.

Apparently, some Russia-based indie studio (seriously, guys, stop making me feel the shame about country where I live) called "Mistake Game Studio" (speaks for itself) is about to release their debut project, Fairy Light, a 2D platformer "based" on Hiro Mashima's / Kodansha's "Fairy Tail" manga/anime series. And this game doesn't just haves some plagiarized images or character designs, but shamelessly use the entire Fairy Tail characters and setting without any minimal alterations. And of course neither of original author or IP owner are never mentioned nowhere, none of dev's pages at social media states this game as non-commercial fan game, but instead an Early Access Q&A section on Steam page has this:
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
""May be. We plan to keep the current price. Only if the feedback from the players will not make us change it.""

Just for your information, Fairy Tail never got any non-mobile/web browser video game since 2012 and I highly doubt that Mistake Game Studio got any permission from Kodansha.

Seriously, how this even got approved for sale by someone at Valve? What kind of controversy they need to get involved with, so they could at least add premoderation?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
"How is this even approved"
That's pretty simple: Not everyone knows what Fairy Tail is.
And considering the page doesnt seem to mention it... I guess you get your answer.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
No one respects copyright. You could find an individual publishing Doraemon comics in Amazon and CS told me, the publisher themselves need to issue the takedown themselves.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
9fow2qa.jpg

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
That's pretty bad, but not surprising in the least. Report it and hope this happens less often.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Just report it and move on. Steam's open policies have much more advantages than disadvantages imo.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Just report it and move on. Same with shit on the google play store.
If I had a quarter for every non-licensed "Sonic" game I've reported to Google...

I have never seen Google take down a game for copyright violations. Don't even waste your time with the click. Google gives exactly zero fucks.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Hmm. I tend to think copyright/trademark laws ought to be revised to allow some legal leeway for fangames, akin to how musicians can perform cover songs... but the subsequent flood of shovelware ripoffs that'd submerge Steam and mobile marketplaces certainly makes a compelling counterargument.

As far as this incident goes though, stuff is always gonna slip through the cracks, especially for lesser known IP. And uh... no comment on the size of Valve's cracks.

JarrodL

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, how this even got approved for sale by someone at Valve? What kind of controversy they need to get involved with, so they could at least add premoderation?
Because not everyone in the world knows what Fairy Tail is? And even if they do know, it's not Valve's job to protect the copyright-protected works, it's the copyright/IP holders' right. As a platform holder, Valve merely needs to act on DMCA strikes when they come, ban repeated offenders from selling on their store, and not interfere with whatever algorithms/means their partners use to identify copyright infringement. This is a non-issue, nothing to be shocked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.